Aaron Martin

doubleonothing

Best of luck to him, I'm sure he'll be snapped up by a lower league team and hopefully he can make a career for himself.

Always thought he performed admirably (I seem to remember him having big Kevin Davies in his pocket in a cup game), but was always going to struggle as we went through the leagues.

So nobody will leave - except Lee, Barnard, Sharp and Martin

Good luck Aaron

You seem to be still struggling with the very basics of what MP said. No one will leave who he doesn't want to leave. There you go.

How many games have the above four started for the first XI this season?

Good luck at Coventry Spud.

Oddly enough, that would probably be a good move for him! Would leave a slightly bad taste in the mouth though.

Why ? We don't want him because he's not good enough, let him go wherever he can get a contract. He's had a couple of chances elsewhere and not proven himself, might not get anything much better than Pompey.

Seesm to be a effort at the moment to offload the players knocking around?

I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent strcutural changes?

It was very hard for any of the squad players to move previously, simply as Cortese put stupid prices on their heads which clubs wouldn't meet. At least we're being fair to these players now, we may make a bit of a loss but in the grand scheme of things it's not too bad.

Well KL runs the club now more like a company and like all companies getting rid of "deadwwod" is needed to create good margins and profit. With deadwood i´m not slagging these players off - just don´t know any other English word to use : /

I don't see how paying off someone's contract early will save money?

Well KL runs the club now more like a company and like all companies getting rid of "deadwwod" is needed to create good margins and profit. With deadwood i´m not slagging these players off - just don´t know any other English word to use : /

the "deadwood" we've offloaded will have cost as just as much as if we'd paid them until June anyway, with the exception of Sharp perhaps, in his case we'll probably be subsidising over 50% of his salary. We've simply paid off Martin and Barnard as likely as not. Something Cortese seemed to refuse to do.

I noticed Gazza wasn't apparent in the training gallery today, is that because he's injured or have we finally accepted that he needs to play at his actual level a bit for him to hope to ever improve?

Edited by Window Cleaner

I don't see how paying off someone's contract early will save money?

Because he probably didn't get the full amount of what was left on his contract and now gets the chance to find another club that will pay him during the time he would have been contracted at Saints.

- Saints benefit from having to pay him less

- Martin benefits as his football career can move on and he gets a payoff

the "deadwood" we've offloaded will have cost as just as much as if we'd paid them until June anyway, with the exception of Sharp perhaps, in his case we'll probably be subsidising over 50% of his salary. We've simply paid off Martin and Barnard as likely as not. Something Cortese seemed to refuse to do.

Barnard hasn't left Saints, he is on loan at Southend.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Because he probably didn't get the full amount of what was left on his contract and now gets the chance to find another club that will pay him during the time he would have been contracted at Saints.

- Saints benefit from having to pay him less

- Martin benefits as his football career can move on and he gets a payoff

Barnard hasn't left Saints, he is on loan at Southend.

Jeez how much contract can Barnard possibly have left with us then ?

He is young, he is only going to get better. Good luck to him.

Do young players ever get worse? I mean seriously, if when i was 17 i started doing something every day, be it figure skating or finger painting or anal i reckon after 10 years i would definitely be better than i was when i started out. Is inevitable! Unless i was injured or something i spose.

Do young players ever get worse? I mean seriously, if when i was 17 i started doing something every day, be it figure skating or finger painting or anal i reckon after 10 years i would definitely be better than i was when i started out. Is inevitable! Unless i was injured or something i spose.

They do - a lot just lose the passion and drive to play football that they had at 17. Its a bit like you with masturbation.

They do - a lot just lose the passion and drive to play football that they had at 17. Its a bit like you with masturbation.

hmm whatever i may have lost in enthusiasm, and tbh I'm not sure that i have, is certainly compensated with technique.

It was one of Cortese's really smart moves to give players like Barnard and Forte long contracts so clubs wouldn't steal them away from us.

Still Barnard looks to be out of contract this summer anyway,3 year deal in summer 2011 can't see that we'll have prolonged that would have been a reward for promotion I suppose, so in fact we've loaned him out now and will probably just have to take him back onto the payroll for part of May and the month of June then, plus of course the handsome subsidies that we'll be giving Southend.. Might save about 60K on the whole deal, these sums are peanuts when you consider that 1 more cup game will now probably bring us in about half a million £.

Edited by Window Cleaner

hmm whatever i may have lost in enthusiasm, and tbh I'm not sure that i have, is certainly compensated with technique.

there is a difference here though. The footballers only practice for a couple of hours a day, four or five days a week...

That's a real shame - I always thought he had good potential.

was never going to be good enough for anything above League 1, too many technical weaknesses, got found out at Palace. He was probably OK with a really good CB like José alongside him and far better than average players in front of the defence. What many don't seem to realise is that the sides we put out in L1 were probably amongst the best ever seen in that division

and many a below average player could pass for adequate amongst those playing at a level far below theirs.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Hmm, thought he was potentially only an injury to one of Fonte, Hooiveld or Yoshida to being on the bench with Lovren out for a while. Unless of course they are thinking Wanyama is back soon (tonight?) and can fill in?

Was never going to be anywhere near the first team again. We have the 2 youngsters who although they aren't anywhere near PL standard are far nearer the first team than Martin will ever be. He isn't very good which is probably why he only ever played 20 or so league games for us in the 3 or 4 years he was with the squad full time. Just a stand in for the main men, Jaidi and Fonte in L1 and then Fonte and Jos in the Championship.

Edited by Window Cleaner

There were always players going to leave.

Southampton's players will not be leaving the club in the January transfer window, new chairman Katharina Liebherr has said.

The announcement follows speculation that some of the Saints' squad may depart in the wake of the resignation of previous chairman Nicola Cortese.

No squad players - unless they head butt a player or just rubbish ;)

Was never going to be anywhere near the first team again. We have the 2 youngsters who although they aren't anywhere near PL standard are far nearer the first team than Martin will ever be. He isn't very good which is probably why he only ever played 20 or so league games for us in the 3 or 4 years he was with the squad full time. Just a stand in for the main men, Jaidi and Fonte in L1 and then Fonte and Jos in the Championship.

Why are they far nearer the squad? Neither have ever made a significant senior appearance for us (unless Stephens has had a cup run out), and the reports from the youth matches havent been amazing either. Obviously we hope that they are stars of the future, but there's not really any reason why a guy who has played some first team matches alongside Fonte and Hooiveld wouldnt be picked above the others.

It was one of Cortese's really smart moves to give players like Barnard and Forte long contracts so clubs wouldn't steal them away from us.

.....though at the time few people expected us to get two promotions on the bounce quite so quickly.

Had we had 2-3 seasons in the Championship BEFORE getting to the Prem. they would probably HDAJFU