Bale

Batman

Has anyone seen that movie Crossroads, the one where Ralph "Karate Kid" Macchio does a deal with the devil at a crossroads to get wicked blues playing skills?

Bale puts me in mind of that film at his best. Think he and Ronaldo are going to make each other better, which is frightening.

The word world-class is overused a hell of a lot, but Bale is world-class. He's at the pinnacle of the footballing profession.

It's just a shame that due to his nationality a player of his ability is never going to be able to showcase his talents at a world cup.

sweet jesus, the lad in incredible

scored again tonight and set up the first in the champions league

I know people say that leaving saints too soon is bad. worked well for bale so far.

what a player

I think he did leave too soon,how long did it take him to get into the spurs team and at 1 point nearly sold.he has progressed like he has due to his spurs career not because of leaving saints when he did.

The word world-class is overused a hell of a lot, but Bale is world-class. He's at the pinnacle of the footballing profession.

It's just a shame that due to his nationality a player of his ability is never going to be able to showcase his talents at a world cup.

Unfortunately true, hopefully Wales can sneak into the next Euros.

I think he did leave too soon,how long did it take him to get into the spurs team and at 1 point nearly sold.he has progressed like he has due to his spurs career not because of leaving saints when he did.

sorry, he is the worlds most expensive player, smashing it for madrid in the CL

I think it is hard to argue that the path he took was wrong

If Assou Ekotto hadn't got injured bale would have been sent out on loan by Bagpuss and who knows what might have happened. What a player. Nice to have watched him in a saints shirt. Enjoy these really top talents while you can, because the likes of shaw are perhaps not likely to stay forever.

I think it is hard to argue that the path he took

I disagree,sorry

It'd be interesting to hear what he should have done instead that would have seen him in a better place right now...

It'd be interesting to hear what he should have done instead that would have seen him in a better place right now...

If he stayed at saints another year he would still be where he is now as he is unbelievable player.he would have got more games staying at saints so thats why i believe he left too soon.

What is gratifying is that he will always be recognised as a product of our academy, perhaps the greatest so far, but just one player in a long list of illustrious names over the past few decades.

Recognition is nice. Cash from a sell on clause would have been nicer. Let's hope we get one when Shaw goes.

If he stayed at saints another year he would still be where he is now as he is unbelievable player.he would have got more games staying at saints so thats why i believe he left too soon.

Why would he be where he is now?

He may not have gone to spurs had he turned them down

He may have gone somewhere and still be playing left back

He most certainly would not have had AvB to manage him, who was instrumental in playing him more centrally

The path he had trodden has got him at Madrid. Anything else would be rolling the dice

Why would he be where he is now?

He may not have gone to spurs had he turned them down

He may have gone somewhere and still be playing left back

He most certainly would not have had AvB to manage him, who was instrumental in playing him more centrally

The path he had trodden has got him at Madrid. Anything else would be rolling the dice

He's at the biggest club in the world as the world's most expensive ever footballer. But still people on here say he'd have been better off staying at Saints for another season.

Got to love this forum.

I was going to reply but I think others have covered it. The notion that he'd been as well to stay with us instead of developing under Jol, Ramos, Poyet for a time, Redknapp and AVB is slightly bizarre.

I think it is hard to argue that the path he took was wrong

It depends what you mean by 'wrong'. He has done okay despite leaving too early. If he hadn't spent those two years in the wilderness stagnating because Tottenham didn't understand how good he was he might be the indisputedly the best player in the world by now.

I was going to reply but I think others have covered it. The notion that he'd been as well to stay with us instead of developing under Jol, Ramos, Poyet for a time, Redknapp and AVB is slightly bizarre.

Redknapp the guy that didn't rate him and wanted to offload him to the Championship?

Whether or not he'd better if he'd have stayed with Saints for a season or two is unmeasurable.

It depends what you mean by 'wrong'. He has done okay despite leaving too early. If he hadn't spent those two years in the wilderness stagnating because Tottenham didn't understand how good he was he might be the indisputedly the best player in the world by now.

What and miss our total demise,get paid in arrears and lose the chance of playing under the Dutch duo you mean.

Fortunately for him he left when he did, not to mention that we probably needed the 5 million £.

The only way I can think he might have been better off if he stayed a year or 2 longer with us is he improved so much that a top CL club bought him from us instead of Spurs and he might have won some trophies. Otherwise he's done rather good for himself leaving when he did.

• 1 month later...

Adrian Durham was arguing today on TalkSport who was the better player, Walcott or Bale. While I don't think it's much of an argument who is better, Bale clearly IMO, it was a pleasant feeling to know that both players started life at our club.

Adrian Durham was arguing today on TalkSport who was the better player, Walcott or Bale. While I don't think it's much of an argument who is better, Bale clearly IMO, it was a pleasant feeling to know that both players started life at our club.

I was watching PL years on Sky Sports today and it showed a snippet of the promo sky ran before the north London derby. One scene it shows images of only Chamberlain and Theo and an Arsenal fan 'we have the best young players in the league' followed by an image of only Bale and the Spurs fan quoted 'and we have possibly the best player in the league'.

Typical, their derby billed up using three players neither of them produced.

Only came good because Harry Redknapp gave him the chance and turned him into the player he is...

Urban myth - Redcrapp nearly sold him and only played him initially because he had little choice because of injuries. Quick to take the credit when he came good though!

Urban myth - Redcrapp nearly sold him and only played him initially because he had little choice because of injuries. Quick to take the credit when he came good though!

That's also stretching the truth. When Bale was on that run where he'd never been on a winning spurs side, Redknapp brought him on for the last few minutes when they were 4-0 up, to get rid of the record. That's actually pretty decent man management.

I remember at the end of last season they were comparing their stats and Walcott actually came off better. Bale's moving to the next level now but in England Theo was just as good. Sad that he's so prone to injury

I remember at the end of last season they were comparing their stats and Walcott actually came off better. Bale's moving to the next level now but in England Theo was just as good. Sad that he's so prone to injury

Nah that's a load of balls. Stats can prove a lot but bale is miles better.

I know which of the two I would prefer in my team and that's Bale.

• 2 weeks later...