Villa 0-0 Saints - reaction

Sheaf Saint

How did we not get a penalty for that handball?! The shout at the end with Clyne looked worth a replay at the very least! On another note was that co-commentator the most one sided one of the season?!

Today goes to show just how important J-Rod has been to us in recent times, surely a valid case for bringing through one of the youth team boys with a bit of pace? Rowe, Simms or Sinclair for a bench spot maybe?

Very watchable for a 0-0. Made the chances first half and should have scored at least one - Davis' chance was particularly good. Should have had a penalty but other than that we had nothing to offer second half.

Shaw had no end product whatsoever and Clyne wasn't much better. Not sure Gallagher actually touched the ball in 25 minutes on the pitch.

Lallana, Lambert, Fonte and Ward-Prowse all decent. Rest not up to much

How did we not get a penalty for that handball?! The shout at the end with Clyne looked worth a replay at the very least! On another note was that co-commentator the most one sided one of the season?!

Today goes to show just how important J-Rod has been to us in recent times, surely a valid case for bringing through one of the youth team boys with a bit of pace? Rowe, Simms or Sinclair for a bench spot maybe?

It's clear for all to see that we had enough pace with Lallana, Clyne and Shaw. It's the quality of movement and delivery that's lacking, and Rodriguez is one of our players that could always provide it!

Zzz...

...yet another penalty for handball turned down. Will we ever get one?

I make that at least 5 so far this season.

Although, in all fairness we sneaked a win at Villa Park last season thanks to a suspect penalty decision, so I'm not going to worry too much. I'm still more angry about the one at Goodison TBH.

We played some good stuff, without really threatening; yet never looked threatened either. A quite predictable draw from a match that was never going to give many goals.

Jose, Steve Davis and Big Vic all had decent games. We really missed JRod. Just goes to show we should have brought in another striker when Osvaldo was shipped out.

Having said that, it should have been a 1-0 win. How the penalty wasn't given is a complete mystery to me. Plus, I assume Bertrand is a good basketball player; he handled the ball at least 3 times by my reckoning.

Ideally, I would like to see us sign two new strikers in the summer (assuming only Osvaldo - and the dead-wood - leaves).

Well done to Wanyama, Lovren, Fonte and Shaw who all had excellent games.

Unfortunately I think these past couple of games have highlighted the (severe) limitations of Lambert as a goalscorer as well as Davis/Wanyama/Cork/Schneiderlin as a creative threat in the final third.

I'm happy for Morgan and Victor to sit back in a quarterback/destroyer role, but if we're going to use two of our central midfield selections on purely defensive players then we're going to look very toothless without a pretty darn serious attacking centre-mid and a a thoroughly inadequate centre-forward who can't seem to buy a goal from open play.

The shopping list remains the same.

New centre-forward in the Lambert mould but with a bit of mobility.

A left-footed, left-winger with pace.

Additional decent centre-back.

New goalkeeper.

Relatively decent left-back (assuming we lose Shaw)

Do you remember the penalty given against us at Newcastle........

EXACTLY......the same circumstances.

Remember Lineker and co stating clear penalty for Newcastle.

Ref and lino saw this one..CLEARLY....

Absolute nailed on penalty.....

Ref Mason did not want to know.....even clear view of hands stopping ball going across.

My MOTM...Wanyama

Edited by ottery st mary

Take a point given our threadbare squad and the next three games. Davis puts the ball a foot higher we go 1-0 up. Shaw puts his cross a foot further forward and Lallana buries it. Ref opens his f***ing eyes and we win. Small margins. Toons lost, which is nice. They have Arsenal followed by I think Fulham, and finishing with Liverpool, so no guarantee they'll get any closer. Stoke and Palace inching closer too, but shouldn't pick up the points they'd need. I hope.

Take a point given our threadbare squad and the next three games. Davis puts the ball a foot higher we go 1-0 up. Shaw puts his cross a foot further forward and Lallana buries it. Ref opens his f***ing eyes and we win. Small margins. Toons lost, which is nice. They have Arsenal followed by I think Fulham, and finishing with Liverpool, so no guarantee they'll get any closer. Stoke and Palace inching closer too, but shouldn't pick up the points they'd need. I hope.

Actually Newcastle finish with Arsenal, Cardiff, and Liverpool. On their form I'd pick three losses there.

thought shaw and big vic (i have to call him that its his nom de guerre) were fantastic today, really really good, even at the end luke did 2 villains and get his cross in.

Boruc's kicking has to be high on villa's passes completed in the final third stats.

I know we all say what great work unsung hero davis is but him/JWP in those positions AM positions have to do better they are there to create, assist or score as they are attacking midfielders not ball circulators (why do i think of jordan).

Rickie is not a whippet but he is northern.

PS I think The True Geordie will be worth a watch later after swansea won hahaha https://www.youtube.com/user/footballfan533

Edited by Convict Colony

Just got back to the car after the game. Very poor really. I hadn't realised just how much we would miss Rodriguez. Same old Saints though, trying to walk the ball into the net. One to forget really.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

A point away is not to be sniffed at but there is a huge rodriguez shaped-hole in our side and sadly i'm not sure we have any solution for that right now. Villa are like our complete antithesis: pace up front, rush everything, not interested in possession. Not the most aesthetically pleasing football (and not surprised they don't pick up many points at home) but just shows you there are many ways to try and get three points.

Turgid.

On the up-side though, we've got a tremendous core of the team. The way we dominate possession is exceptional - and we just lack cutting edge. If Gaston and Osvaldo had lived up to anything like their potential we could have had an amazing season.

Still, If we keep MoPo over the summer and strengthen smartly we really could go places. We should also be able to attract a couple of top players who aren't unproven (Ramirez) or damaged goods (Osvaldo).

Unlucky not to get three points but our away record stacks up against anybody's so one point not so bad !

Disagree with comments about the beach as I felt that we got stuck in but lacked quality finishing !

Nailed on handball, ref a plonker as ever !

Bring on the Toffees !

Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino: "I thought we did enough to win the game but we are lacking luck and clinical edge in front of goal.

"We started off well, had 70% possession but are not taking chances. We are creating them and look like a team fighting to win the Premier League so I am happy with the effort.

"I saw the handball and I thought it was quite clear, replays also show it was clear but the linesman was close and he didn't even see it."

Utterly toothless.

Buying Osvaldo has totally trashed what might have been a legendary season.

At least defence looking more solid with Boruc back.

Assuming no player exodus for one moment, strikers and second GK are clearly the summer priorities.

Agreed, the Osvaldo gamble has turned into a massive loss for us.

Assuming no player exodus for one moment, strikers and second GK are clearly the summer priorities.

Agree, though would prefer a new first choice GK.

Boruc is good, but unreliable. Misses too many games for a keeper, and is never far from some sort of howler. Has cost us goals this season. Though granted has made some point winning saves.

We could do with a keeper that can actually pick out a player too.

Defensively pretty good, offensively lacking - why can't we just shoot?! Chances are pretty good for a goal/deflected goal/favourable rebound/corner. Too much back-passing when we're on the edge of their box.

Still, fairly good showing from the team today, Fonte, Schneiderlin and Wanyama especially so. Clyne must feel very unlucky to have been kept out of the squad so much, he played well today.

Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino: "I thought we did enough to win the game but we are lacking luck and clinical edge in front of goal.

"We started off well, had 70% possession but are not taking chances. We are creating them and look like a team fighting to win the Premier League so I am happy with the effort.

"I saw the handball and I thought it was quite clear, replays also show it was clear but the linesman was close and he didn't even see it."

Fair comments IMO !