Summer 2014 HCDAJFU

Lighthouse

Could we make use of a clapped out old motors for a season or two?

Rio Ferdinand?

Ashley Cole?

They would have to stay within reasonable wage expectation, though.

Could earn millions a season in the MLS I would imagine,would take Cole in a flash as he showed he still has it with the last few games he had at Chelsea,Rio has looked washed up for a few seasons

Could earn millions a season in the MLS I would imagine,would take Cole in a flash as he showed he still has it with the last few games he had at Chelsea,Rio has looked washed up for a few seasons

I wouldn't take either, we can get younger players for far less than those 2 old hacks. They won't take 10 bob a week you know,if some deluded club asks them nicely they might agree to 70K a week but certainly not less. They can easily get that in the old footballers graveyard that is MLS.

Would not want Lescott as he's hopeless with the ball.. not an MP type player.

Richards must have character problems, otherwise there'd be a queue for his signature.

Would not be surprised if Chambers is converted and we concentrate on offensive players this summer.

The problem with Richards is, as with Smalling and Jones at Utd, he has gone backwards in his development in the last couple of years.

I was going to suggest Ricardo Rodriguez as a replacement for Luke Shaw, but didn't realise just how highly rated he was - a quick google search sees him linked with most of the top clubs in Europe. Unrealistic?

Seen Berahino linked with Newcastle today, wouldn't mind signing him to compete with J-rod in a wide forward role.

The problem with Richards is, as with Smalling and Jones at Utd, he has gone backwards in his development in the last couple of years.

Actually, has any english young player that has moved to United last 7-8 yrs developed in the right direction any significantly?

Jones, Smalling, Cleverley, Zaha, Powell, Young (ok, not the youngest one when he moved but didn´t develop either)....

Noone has really gotten that much better as you would´ve thought when they were sold to United...

Luke, you hear this??

If we had to lose Shaw and signed Cole for 70k a week on a free then I'm sure most would be happy as he is a good replacement and still a top player. Gives us time to find a longer term solution too.

This is the point. Remember when we sold Bridgey to Chelsea and they gave us Graeme le Saux in PX. He was still class. I'm sure Cole could get better offers, but if we insisted to Chelsea that Cole was part of the deal for Lukey then I would be happy. Surely better than a cheap foreign import or Billy Jones from West Brom.

This is the point. Remember when we sold Bridgey to Chelsea and they gave us Graeme le Saux in PX. He was still class. I'm sure Cole could get better offers, but if we insisted to Chelsea that Cole was part of the deal for Lukey then I would be happy. Surely better than a cheap foreign import or Billy Jones from West Brom.

No he wasn't - he was past it - his legs had gone and he was injury prone - we should have taken the extra £2 or £3 million instead. The real shame is Jelle Van Damme didn't live up to the expectation - at £2.5 million he would have been a real bargain if he had.

We wasted the Bridge money on Van Damme, Neil McCann and Le Saux. Without Bridge Marsden was just an average central midfielder so we lost 2 players for the price of one - and got 3 failures in one go. It was the sale and failure to replace Bridge and the left wing of the team that started the slide to our relegation.

We should have signed Steed Malbranque but that way Lowe and Co wouldn't have pocketed a couple of million.

If we sell Lallana for £25 million its going to cost is the best part of that if not all to replace him - or we are going to have to change the way we play dramatically

Meant to say if we sell Shaw we need to replace him with at least two left backs - eg Bertrand @£7 million and the Polish/French player Timothee Kolo for about the same cost for example

Please just not Buttner in part exchange

Alberto Moreno from Sevilla for £15 million would be my first choice

We can't rely on Targett to step up in the same way Shaw has done - not yet anyway

No he wasn't - he was past it - his legs had gone and he was injury prone - we should have taken the extra £2 or £3 million instead. The real shame is Jelle Van Damme didn't live up to the expectation - at £2.5 million he would have been a real bargain if he had.

We wasted the Bridge money on Van Damme, Neil McCann and Le Saux. Without Bridge Marsden was just an average central midfielder so we lost 2 players for the price of one - and got 3 failures in one go. It was the sale and failure to replace Bridge and the left wing of the team that started the slide to our relegation.

We should have signed Steed Malbranque but that way Lowe and Co wouldn't have pocketed a couple of million.

If we sell Lallana for £25 million its going to cost is the best part of that if not all to replace him - or we are going to have to change the way we play dramatically

Not sure about the pocketing of millions by Lowe and co! and I think if we low Shaw that will effect how we play more, but I could not agree more about the inadequate replacement for Bridge in lesaux and it leading to our downfall.

The same could be said for Bale and Jones sales. Take pivotal players out of the side and the money that comes in usually squandered, leaving gaping holes.

I was going to suggest Ricardo Rodriguez as a replacement for Luke Shaw, but didn't realise just how highly rated he was - a quick google search sees him linked with most of the top clubs in Europe. Unrealistic?

Seen Berahino linked with Newcastle today, wouldn't mind signing him to compete with J-rod in a wide forward role.

I'd definite take Berahino. Young, in the International squads, English, has proven he can score goals, and wants the move as he fell out with his teammates. Him and Ings, for example, wouldn't be a bad two additions to our striking line up at all.

They got him for 8mil when in the premiership, surely can't make profit. I don't get the fuss to be honest. Currently England's most desperate position is centre back, to the point where smalling and a last ditch look at stones is our only option for a 4th centre back. If caulker was worth that much and considered better than fonte, why did everyone write him off for England. Put it this way, after this season, if he was English, fonte would have been in the England squad. I wouldn't want a player that is considered worse than Chris smalling.

One player who if Poch stays i feel could max his potential out would be Tom Ince, we could sell Lallana and Shaw get 40 mill for both after paying bmouth, and also get Ryan Bertrand, offer them both good money then we have some good young player replacements..

Then add a another 2-3 players and have some change.

One player who if Poch stays i feel could max his potential out would be Tom Ince, we could sell Lallana and Shaw get 40 mill for both after paying bmouth, and also get Ryan Bertrand, offer them both good money then we have some good young player replacements..

Then add a another 2-3 players and have some change.

I like Ince too but believe he is reluctant to move to the South.

The Sun linking us with Steven Caulker.

Just had a look up to see if I could find out any info - Couldn't find a value, but an older report speculates that Spurs have a 50% sell on as well.

(Vincent Tan will love that!)

I like Ince too but believe he is reluctant to move to the South.

I'd look at Ince too. A lot depends on our circumstances, but if we're looking to balance the books and we have to get some more goals in our team (if Lallana is sold & J-Rod still being injured) we could do a lot worse than look at Ince.

Gaston a rumoured target for Torino

Gaston and a few mill for Immobile ??

I would rather we signed Zaha to Ince,he hardly got a sniff at Cardiff and Moyes clearly didnt fancy him from the start but he always looked decent at Palace

People still suggesting Tom Ince? Despite us not wanting him before and it taking him a last minute dash whoring himself around the country to get a move then doing nothing at Palace?

I think if he has a proper footballing coach like MoPo rather then his Dad or Pulis, he could use his pace and skill in the right way to develop into a decent premier league player, if not hes a free agent and would be a fine back up.

Ricardo Rodriguez should be our #1 target if Shaw goes - he would be the perfect replacement.

Indeed he should or Kurzawa. Both probably better than Shaw for a fraction of the price. Sell him that's what I say, get the money and get a better player and have some left for a striker.

Indeed he should or Kurzawa. Both probably better than Shaw for a fraction of the price. Sell him that's what I say, get the money and get a better player and have some left for a striker.

What would you say to Riviere for a striker WC?

Gaston a rumoured target for Torino

Gaston and a few mill for Immobile ??

I would rather we signed Zaha to Ince,he hardly got a sniff at Cardiff and Moyes clearly didnt fancy him from the start but he always looked decent at Palace

Good god no thanks. Moody, selfish and vastly overrated. Everything this squad isn't.

Plan for summer: It all depends on whether Adam Lallana, Morgan Schneiderlin and Luke Shaw leave. If they stay, then Southampton can concentrate on finding extra cover in central defence and the wide positions. If they go, and Mauricio Pochettino does too, then a major rebuild will be required.

Transfer kitty: £30m

Most mouth-watering rumour so far: Fabio Quagliarella (Juventus). JS

from the guardian

I see Davide Astori got taken off at half time as Cagliari went down 3-0 to Juventus (all the goals in the first half). Anyone seen highlights of the game to know if he was injured or just playing poorly (maybe his mind is elsewhere on a move away ;) ).

Osvaldo replace Llorente after an hour - from the stats I've seen, he had one shot which was blocked and got caught offside twice.

Not sure about the pocketing of millions by Lowe and co! and I think if we low Shaw that will effect how we play more, but I could not agree more about the inadequate replacement for Bridge in lesaux and it leading to our downfall.

The same could be said for Bale and Jones sales. Take pivotal players out of the side and the money that comes in usually squandered, leaving gaping holes.

Trust me the pocketing went on, why do you think we signed Delgado and not Forlan !

According to Guillem Balague, Barca are offloading a lot of players in the Summer: "@GuillemBalague: The list of players not wanted or going: Valdés, Pinto, Puyol, Song, J. Dos Santos, Afellay, Tello, Cuenca, S. Roberto, Oier."

Wouldn't mind Dos Santos, Afellay, Tello or Cuenca if fees and wages were reasonable

According to Guillem Balague, Barca are offloading a lot of players in the Summer: "@GuillemBalague: The list of players not wanted or going: Valdés, Pinto, Puyol, Song, J. Dos Santos, Afellay, Tello, Cuenca, S. Roberto, Oier."

Wouldn't mind Dos Santos, Afellay, Tello or Cuenca if fees and wages were reasonable

Always rated Afellay.

I wanted Afellay a year ago, and still think he would be worth a punt on a low wage but one he can raise it with games/performance based bonuses. He´s been out of the game for a long while but get him going again and he´s a great player. Obviously Tello wouldn´t be bad but seems to be Liverpool bound....(they do like to sign attacking players and not defenders....)

Rodwell from Man City would be lovely but not very likely unfortunately.

Rodwell too but we have too many options CM. Suppose if one left then maybe. England have so few good CMs like that, Rodwell should be playing every week, be twice the player he was at Everton and have made the England spot his own. Instead that man city move has taken him backwards, ruined his confidence and left him miles from the England squad. Shame. He'd be good for Man Utd too, in an area they're so short.

Maybe worth it if we lose MS.....hasn't Rodwell struggled with injuries too? Same with Afellay?

Whilst I agree that Rodriguez would be a great replacement (possibly improvement) for Shaw, I very much doubt he would be a fraction of the price. Wolfsburg knocked back a sizeable offer from Spurs last summer, and since then he's had a blinding season, scored 5 goals and got 9 assists. Add in that Wolfsburg are bankrolled by VW, and he would likely cost significantly north of 20m. Even if we get 30 for Shaw, I can't see this club dropping that much on a left back. More likely we'll look to spend no more than 5m with one eye on bringing Targett through, and recycle the remaining money elsewhere.