Koeman starts tomorrow. Not a moment too soon.

toe_punt

It seems like forever (and that's a proper use of the word "like") since we had a manager.

The fact that he hasn't shortened his holiday to try to shore up the club is, I hope, a sign that he is unfazed by these players leaving and is confident that all will be well by the beginning of the season. I hope it's not a sign that he is oblivious to it all.........

It seems like forever (and that's a proper use of the word "like") since we had a manager.

The fact that he hasn't shortened his holiday to try to shore up the club is, I hope, a sign that he is unfazed by these players leaving and is confident that all will be well by the beginning of the season. I hope it's not a sign that he is oblivious to it all.........

Strikes me as a "wake up in the morning with dry sheets" kinda guy.

A new Era begins today. From what I read about Koeman, he's seems the perfect fit for this tricky task of rebuilding. The enthusiasm for bringing on youth from the academy in particular.

Be interested how we mitigate the impending losses of Lovren and Morgan. I guess Cork/Wanyama and this new midfielder Tadic will be part of the answer.

Also, can Osvaldo be rehabilitated? And what of Gaston? I'd actually like to see us keep both and see if the new regime can bring them both a fresh slate.

Edited by adrian lord

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/10934515/Southampton-manager-Ronald-Koeman-aims-to-make-Dusan-Tadic-and-Graziano-Pelle-his-first-two-signings.html

Looks like we are finally doing some business this week. Spuds apparently to make a bid for JRod also.....

How would a J-Rod transfer actually work? He surely wouldn't be able to pass a medical for a few months yet could he?

How would a J-Rod transfer actually work? He surely wouldn't be able to pass a medical for a few months yet could he?

Medicals don't really exist for identifying current injuries, it's to find any underlying injuries that are un-diagnosed, weaknesses in ligaments etc. They are well aware of exactly what Jay Rods injury is, and will have all the medical results from Southampton to ensure they are making the correct decision. If he fails a medical to go there that would be more worrying for us.

Medicals don't really exist for identifying current injuries, it's to find any underlying injuries that are un-diagnosed, weaknesses in ligaments etc. They are well aware of exactly what Jay Rods injury is, and will have all the medical results from Southampton to ensure they are making the correct decision. If he fails a medical to go there that would be more worrying for us.

Seriously

This cannot be true. The guy has done an ACL. There is no certainty that Jrod would ever come back the same player he was. Any manager who tries to purchase a player who is 6 months plus away from even thinking about playing is insane and should be sacked straight away.

He spent the past week in Holland improving his English, he wasn't on holiday !!!

So do players report back tomorrow? Or does RK have week in job before they are back

He did tweet recently that he was looking forward to starting training on Tuesday so I assume at least some of them (I. E. Those not on WC duty and those that we have left) start preseason tomorrow.

Seriously

This cannot be true. The guy has done an ACL. There is no certainty that Jrod would ever come back the same player he was. Any manager who tries to purchase a player who is 6 months plus away from even thinking about playing is insane and should be sacked straight away.

Correct.

In today's market J Rod is 15 million +. They wouldn't get insurance on him and you simply don't take a 15 million pound punt. He will need a season of proving himself once he has recovered before clubs start throwing that sort of money around.

Seriously

This cannot be true. The guy has done an ACL. There is No certainty that Jrod would ever come back the same player he was. Any manager who tries to purchase a player who is 6 months plus away from even thinking about playing is insane and should be sacked straight away.

This. Saints would want £15m at least for JRod on the promise of his return to full fitness. Can't see any club being prepared to risk that much...JRod is not THAT special.

I thought Jrod was looking forward to working with RK

I just think the its very lazy journalism, the mirror are the worst of the worst

I saw in one report yesterday, Chelsea are about to make a 7m offer for James Ward Prowse

sorry but it s getting riduculous these journos publish such tripe day in day out

I thought Jrod was looking forward to working with RK

I just think the its very lazy journalism, the mirror are the worst of the worst

I saw in one report yesterday, Chelsea are about to make a 7m offer for James Ward Prowse

sorry but it s getting riduculous these journos publish such tripe day in day out

Yet every piece of lazy journalism to date seems to have turned out to be true this summer.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during RK's interview at SFC.

Les ..said that they had the same philosophy about the game.

In some interview situations, the question arises ...." where do you see yourself in 5 years time? " (might sound a bit dumb to some people).....BUT

(one of my sons actually had this q. at his job interview) ....his reply was ....." working here, but with a lot more knowledge and experience." He got the job.

One of my q. to RK would have been ..." if you were to get the job ......which players would you want to buy for next season ?"

If his answers highlighted players we already had scouted /been watching.....then I think we'd know we were on the same wavelength.

Be interested how we mitigate the impending losses of Lovren and Morgan. I guess Cork/Wanyama and this new midfielder Tadic will be part of the answer.

I have a funny feeling that this could be a breakthrough season for Harry Reed as well. Add in JWP and we'll be OK, gutted though I will be if Morgan leaves.

Yet every piece of lazy journalism to date seems to have turned out to be true this summer.

If you are a complete mentalist who ignores reality, this is absolutely true.

I'm still waiting for Jack Cork to join Reading, Sam Gallagher to go on loan to Gillingham, and us signing Jordan Mutch, Danny Ings and Axel Witsel, to quote a few off the top of my head.

He's in and ready to go!

@Koeman1963: Nice view from my office at the Trainingscenter! http://t.co/XrXTDGImAV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL - Adam Clark touting for an interview via Twitter #desperate

Adam Clark ‏@adamclarkitv 23m

@Koeman1963 Hi Ronald - glad you are settling in at Southampton FC. Would you be available for interview this week about the coming season?

Would any proper journalist not ring the media office to organise interviews? Seems like thousands of people have just decided they're journalists because they're on twitter, and plenty of actual journalists have just become lazy.

There is potential benefit in contacting the subject directly

Has it? Chelsea favourites to buy this player, Liverpool favourites to buy that one. Price agreed of X £s. This or that player offered as a make-weight. At one point, despite many red-tops stating things as facts, the club were able to say that no offers had been received for any player. OK, eventually one or two journos got it right with their scatter-gun forecasts, but that is much the same as me choosing 10 horses to win the Grand National and claiming that I was right all along when one comes in first.

One story said that we wouldnt sell Shaw for less than £40m. Another had Steve Bruce as our new manager.Another had us signing a keeper whose name I forget just before he signed a new contact at his current club. So not all turned out to be true.

Has it? Chelsea favourites to buy this player, Liverpool favourites to buy that one. Price agreed of X £s. This or that player offered as a make-weight. At one point, despite many red-tops stating things as facts, the club were able to say that no offers had been received for any player. OK, eventually one or two journos got it right with their scatter-gun forecasts, but that is much the same as me choosing 10 horses to win the Grand National and claiming that I was right all along when one comes in first.

This is actually my betting technique.

He's in and ready to go!

@Koeman1963: Nice view from my office at the Trainingscenter! http://t.co/XrXTDGImAV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Rockin Ronnie's optimism. He probably spent the better part of the morning setting up family pictures around the desk, finding the supply closest (get 2 things of yellow stickies, they run out fast), which toilet offers the most privacy for his "long phone calls", using Yelp and Google reviews to find the best lunch spots. Think Ralph took him out for lunch on the first day?

Seriously

Totally agree - It is a big, big injury and recovery in terms of time and completeness is uncertain until he really starts to test it - And he is nowhere near that stage yet.

If Poch wants to buy him now, I would think he has been inhaling the coals he walked on last summer...

So far in terms of Saints journalists have told me nothing, given that MP to Spurs and Lallana to Liverpool were obvious links for a long time, so repeating them for 6 months until true doesn't really show any great insight. Lambert I heard about when announced, so again, no journalism there. And with other clubs, you can read a dozen or so rumours of the BBC gossip column every day, of which very few will come true.

You can't have been paying attention. The Lallana, Pochettino and Shaw moves were all heavily reported for months, the Lambert story was broken a few days before it was confirmed and the press kept us in the loop regarding Koeman and other managerial candidates. Where do you think 'obvious links' come from if not reporting?

On gossip columns, it drives me up the wall that people ignore such an obvious truth: just because a transfer does not happen doesn't mean a story saying a club was interested or made a bid was inaccurate. Football clubs do monitor players, enquire and make bids without transfers eventually going through. In fact, we know that Liverpool and Manchester United made unsuccessful bids a couple of weeks ago, and we know thanks to (if memory serves) the BBC and Guardian. Of course there's some poorly sourced rubbish in tabloids but, as with any other area of reporting, the good outlets get things right.

Edited by DuncanRG

Hope they give him a verbal warning, should be working not on twitter taking photos out the window...

My boss wouldn't be happy if I done the same ;)

To be fair he was probably under the impression that he would have a team to manage when he started - he's clearly filling time until one turns up

Seriously

Reminds me of Perry Groves. Only managed a few games then retired. A huge risk if they do sign him. I doubt they would get insurance.

I'm pretty sure RK started work the day he signed the contract. There is more to the job than physically being at the training ground.

I agree. Cant believe that he hasnt been on the phone to Les Reed etc dealing with transfer matters before today.

I'm pretty sure RK started work the day he signed the contract. There is more to the job than physically being at the training ground.

Yes, these new fangled mobile phones mean you can always be in contact with the office..

Actually started a new (temporary) contract last Thursday and I _didn't_ give them my mobile number..