Letter from Lallana in Echo

bangkoksaint

It does tell us that the club and AL relationship is strained as he could have easily done an interview on their giving a fond farewell,I assume the club refused.

and as much as I like RL he has let himself down in my eyes for undermining our club by persuading AL as well. Has he been onto Lovren as well? If so RL is tarnishing himself

Could we not give some of the 26 million to the chap who made the first Ted statue ? make it of lallana holding a wallet in one hand and the other buggering around with his quiff ?

Brilliant. I'd happily chip in a tenner.

It's all a bit embarassing, that page makes things worse. At least Rickie wrote an honest letter about leaving. Lallana couldn't, simply because he lacks any decency, and because the truth is that he doesn't actually give a **** and has wanted out for a long time. He deserves any abuse he gets, he has made mugs out of both the club and fans.

If it is true that AL refused to play in a move to force his transfer to Liverpool, that i'm afraid just lacks class and morals and we are well shot of him.

That is the attitude of somebody with a sense of self-entitlement and a "devil may care" attitude, and not the key behaviours that foster a good team spirit within any club.

Our other erstwhile "striker" Kenwyne Jones who also adopted that method hardly covered himself in glory after leaving us and it would not surprise me if young Adam proves to be equally unsuccessful.

That advert is a total embarrassment. Proper cringeworthy. Thick footballer badly advertised by no-mark PR people. Move on.

If Liverpool take Lovren as well (please sell him to Barcelona Les) the opening day of the season will be tasty. I predict a Big Vic yellow card in the 3rd minute with Lallana being wiped off the top of the dug-out.

I wonder what the players think, do they even care????!!

I was thinking this yesterday when I saw the OS short statement. If he was popular with the rest of the squad this will not be well received and likely cause more unrest whereas if they were as ****ed off with him as we are, they will probably be OK.

I have no issue with Adam wanting to better himself. It's just his comments that hurt. He's a good player - no doubt - but not as good as he thinks he is. The real beauty last season (particularly before Christmas) of following Saints is that we had an understated manager who was personally performing and got the squad performing above themselves. We had a team that contained no fancy Dans and their strength was in their collective rather than their individiual ability. But once the 3 lions went off to join England, they started to believe their own publicity (Adam more so) and the whole thing started to fall apart a bit. NC and then MP leaving did not help.

But for me the future is bright. Katerina has assembled a management / coaching team that has a high profile but again the strength in the team rather than one individual. We are left with no fancy Dans (assuming Lovren goes) but we've actually upgraded on MP and (assuming Tadic and Peklle sign) AL / RL. For me there should be a four year plan to develop this young team culminating in the World Cup 2018. Let's accept the fact that quite a few of our new players will then be on the world stage and picked up for bigger wages by someone else. So we then start again with a new four year plan. Would much rather take pride in our academy developing players than supporting a team that just muscled their way in on the transfer market with a rich Arab / American backer.

On the contrary, I believe I do get it.

You take football out of the equation it’s just a job to Lallana, the prospects of playing for Liverpool are incomparable to playing for Southampton.

His loyalty is to his Family & to his career not to his Employeer, regardless of the remaining contract length (that’s there to protect the club as well as security for the player and ensures we get the £25,000,000 rather than nothing)

90% of people would act in the same way against their employer if they were being held against their will and being denied a 50-60% payrise and better prospects.

You take football out of the equation it’s just a job to Lallana, the prospects of playing for Liverpool are incomparable to playing for Southampton.

His loyalty is to his Family & to his career not to his Employeer, regardless of the remaining contract length (that’s there to protect the club as well as security for the player and ensures we get the £25,000,000 rather than nothing)

90% of people would act in the same way against their employer if they were being held against their will and being denied a 50-60% payrise and better prospects.

If it's just a job, then there's no need to take out embarrassing ads in the paper dripping with insincerity. You can't have it both ways.

I have done exactly this - however I like to think that when dealing with my former employer and the subsequent exit, I acted professionally and remain to this day on good terms with them.

He had a full page. Why didn't he write full sentences instead writing in note form? He must have texted it to his agent I guess.

Edit: yep, it's less than 140 characters.

Edited by Webby

it may be quicker to ask, is there anyone who is impressed with that farewell letter?

(Other than people trolling for attention)

Poorly-advised is the polite description.

An interview talking about the great times we have shared with him and a heartfelt thank-you and goodbye would have gone a long way to halting the out-of-control truck that this hatred bandwagon has become.

He can't have wanted to leave like this.

Captain Mainwaring had him sussed long before Clattenberg.

Stupid boy.

But on a positive note, I do thank Poch and Hodgson for whacking up the value of the squad - no one gets a bargain at SMS anymore, it's all top dollar! :)

Compare and contrast :

What can I say…?

Southampton has been my life for the past five years, in which we have achieved all of our dreams and more.

First I have to thank Markus Liebherr for saving Southampton then Alan Pardew for bringing me to the club.

Thank you to all the staff involved in making me the player I am today. Without your knowledge and commitment I would not be here right now at a World Cup with England.

Thank you to all the players, past and present, who I have had nothing but good times and success with driven by our club captain, Kelvin Davis. I love every last one of you.

Thank you to the managers I have worked with – Alan, Nigel and Mauricio – and their teams for helping me and Southampton step up and adapt to every challenge that has come our way the past five years.

When I grew up there was only one club I loved. I can honestly say now I have two clubs which will always be in my heart and that is thanks to the Saints fans.

The people who support this club have been nothing short of amazing towards me and, when I look back in years to come, it will be the relationship I had with the fans here which will stand out the most.

Southampton have allowed me to realise a lifelong ambition by joining Liverpool FC and taking my family home. The five-year plan when I arrived was to get this club from League 1 to the top half of the Premier League. Against all the odds we have achieved that.

Now, under Katharina Liebherr’s leadership, the club has the chance for a new plan, a new chapter, and I wish them all the success in the world.

Rickie Lambert

Take the football out of football and there's no problem :rolleyes:

Of course everyone would do the same in his shoes and move to the bigger club for silly wages. Not everyone would say they didn't want to be playing at their previous club last year. Even in a non-football world of employment, his previous employers wouldn't thank him for his statement. Rumours of his actions don't endear him to me either, but they are just that, rumours.

I've no ill will against him, I just think he's a bit of a four letter word, the full pager has done nothing to change my opinion

Sorry but this BS. Yes 99.9999% of us would move jobs for a 50% pay rise because most people earn less in a year tan AL was earning at Saints in a week. This myth that footballers are somehow in 'need' and must go from £45k a week to £80k a week to secure their futures is total Bol, lox. 1. If you can't set yourself, family and grand kids up for life when earning 10mil in 5 years then they must be morons. 2. Why should footballers be exempt from having to work after they finish playing anyway... Many folk retrain in their 30s and 40s looking to do something else... And most have not earned 15-20mil in that time to allow them the luxury of financial security whilst doing so.... So yes we might all want to double or triple our income, but let's not pretend that Adam 'has to move to secure his family' rubbish ... If money DID play a part then it's GREED not NEED, end of.

I just signed a new contract this morning.

It's for 6 months, and guess what? I have to complete the lot, EVEN if some other company comes in and offers me three times my salary. That's a contract, kids - and I've lost money for being tied down before.

Of course, the flipside of that is the other side of the contract. I'm guaranteed money for that time period.

I could, like Ads, stamp my feet, refuse to work and be bounced out immediately, but then I'd probably have a lot of indemnity claims coming my way, especially if me breaching my contract hurt the organisation I was f**king over. Word would also get around that I'm the sort of person that'll fk clients over.

Think that would happen everywhere else, except football.

Dan, and (again taking football out of it) what about the 5 year contract he signed?

I agree, on the face of it why sign a 5 year contract if you don't intend to honour it, but for me a contract shouldn't be viewed like that.

For the player

- It's about ensuring he has income if he gets a long term injury

- It's so he can offer his family security (whether he honours the contract or not)

- It will define image rights\advertising right shares etc

For the Club

- It ensures that if a player decides to leave they can command a fee

- It protects against their "development" investment

As well as a whole heap of performance related/loyalty bonuses which need to be defined in a legal contract, Lallana probably wanted a pay rise at the time so had to sign a new contract, the club likely insisted that in return for his pay rise he sign a 5 year contract so they can command a larger fee if a situation like what’s happened ever arose.

I could, like Ads, stamp my feet, refuse to work and be bounced out immediately, but then I'd probably have a lot of indemnity claims coming my way, especially if me breaching my contract hurt the organisation I was f**king over. Word would also get around that I'm the sort of person that'll fk clients over.

That's because of transfer fees though, buying out the contract is supposed to mitigate that ****ing over.

That's because of transfer fees though, buying out the contract is supposed to mitigate that ****ing over.

That comes into it; length of career comes into it too.

LFC don't need a player with morals; Suarez shows that. They just need a performer. If he does that, I'm sure that apart from the disappointed collective of Saints fans, it'll quickly be forgotten. Lineker is already bigging him up as a player that'll take Liverpool by storm.

He better had. Very good player this season, but bloody frustrating last year and as others have said, not particularly adept at shooting. The Kopites won't be as forgiving when that final ball goes awry.

No one begrudges him a move to earn a stonking amount of cash. But how he has left will forever leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth, it didn't need to be like that Adam - but you've gone and made yourself look like a big headed ******. The comments about him dreaming of joining Liverpool whilst we were still playing last season is nothing but disgusting - he was our captain. It won't be nice to hear, but it's almost impossible for him to have a good reception now. A pretty cheap looking 1 page advert will make no difference.

this sums it up for me also. Rickie and Luke kept pretty quiet and went with some degree of professionalism. Such a shame, and something Adam will look back on and regret - although the £26 mill will ease the guilty feeling

So we were supposed to be eating humble pie having read his crass sentiments in the local rag? I'm sorry Adam, but the best piece of advice I could give you, is that when you find yourself in a hole, the best course of action is to stop digging. My further advice is that if you employ a PR firm, sack them; they are doing "Brand Lallana" no good at all. If you don't currently have any PR advisors, then employ some urgently. You obviously attach a great deal of importance to the accumulation of obscene amounts of money and this sort of negative publicity can seriously damage your earning potential. The article in the Echo is suggestive that you attach some personal importance in the way that you are preceived by us, the fans, and just to let you know that the way that you have acted over your departure has irreparably damaged that warmth we had for you too. This will become abundantly clear when you come down here with your new team, if they select you to play, that is. Observe the warm reception that Lambert will receive and contrast that with the derision that will aimed at you.

Whilst you bothered to outlay a small trifling sum on saying goodbye in the Echo, excuse us for naively thinking that you would have availed yourself of the opportunity to set the record right regarding the perception that was given in the media that you had threatened to throw your toys out of the pram if the club didn't allow you to leave on terms that would satisfy your new employers. As there has been no denial from you refuting this, and no notice of legal action against those who made these allegations, I presume that we can take it that in fact that was precisely the way that you behaved, holding the club that developed your talents over 14 years to ransom. And yet despite this, you have the brass-necked temerity to believe that your trite little farewell message will make everything OK.

Bear in mind that despite you now being able to buy a large mansion, it will be over 250 miles away from friends and family down here. You were a big fish in a small pond and now you are a relative tiddler at a club like Liverpool. If you enjoyed playing as much first team football as possible, you will spend a lot more time on the bench now, no longer first name on the team sheet, but rather an afterthought for when bigger names are injured or suspended.

And console yourself that as soon as your replacement arrives and begins to prove himslef a better footballer than you, the bad taste left in the mouths of most Saints fans will disappear. No player is bigger than the club and soon you will become a footnote in our history. A shame that you won't ever achieve legend status, but that isn't accorded to players who treat the club and its supporters with such shabby disdain.

Sorry but this BS. Yes 99.9999% of us would move jobs for a 50% pay rise because most people earn less in a year tan AL was earning at Saints in a week. This myth that footballers are somehow in 'need' and must go from £45k a week to £80k a week to secure their futures is total Bol' date=' lox. 1. If you can't set yourself, family and grand kids up for life when earning 10mil in 5 years then they must be morons. 2. Why should footballers be exempt from having to work after they finish playing anyway... Many folk retrain in their 30s and 40s looking to do something else... And most have not earned 15-20mil in that time to allow them the luxury of financial security whilst doing so.... So yes we might all want to double or triple our income, but let's not pretend that Adam 'has to move to secure his family' rubbish ... If money DID play a part then it's GREED not NEED, end of.[/quote']

Precisely, and they only need a bit of extra training to become a coach/members of staff, who will still be earning more than the rest of us. How many people get to retire in their mid 30's anyway?

Sorry but this BS. Yes 99.9999% of us would move jobs for a 50% pay rise because most people earn less in a year tan AL was earning at Saints in a week. This myth that footballers are somehow in 'need' and must go from £45k a week to £80k a week to secure their futures is total Bol' date=' lox. 1. If you can't set yourself, family and grand kids up for life when earning 10mil in 5 years then they must be morons. 2. Why should footballers be exempt from having to work after they finish playing anyway... Many folk retrain in their 30s and 40s looking to do something else... And most have not earned 15-20mil in that time to allow them the luxury of financial security whilst doing so.... So yes we might all want to double or triple our income, but let's not pretend that Adam 'has to move to secure his family' rubbish ... If money DID play a part then it's GREED not NEED, end of.[/quote']

Slightly over simplified and detached from the society we live in, otherwise we'd all be on the £8 per hour that is deemed to be sufficient.

I agree that this has not been handled well and we're disappointed. Personally, I'm excited by the season ahead - a few decent additions and the likes of Reed, JWP etc getting more game time.

I just signed a new contract this morning.

It's for 6 months, and guess what? I have to complete the lot, EVEN if some other company comes in and offers me three times my salary. That's a contract, kids - and I've lost money for being tied down before.

Of course, the flipside of that is the other side of the contract. I'm guaranteed money for that time period.

With the best will in the world, Pap, I'm not sure any company would be willing to pay £25m to your current employer for your services.

Adam Blackmore has suggested he spoke to Adam Lallana yesterday and the note in the paper does not reflect Adam's true feelings well enough' date=' and that Adam's advisors have not done a good job with that note. So the note came from his advisors. Pathetic.[/quote']

Could have easily done an interview to set the record straight but chose not to.

Adam Blackmore has suggested he spoke to Adam Lallana yesterday and the note in the paper does not reflect Adam's true feelings well enough' date=' and that Adam's advisors have not done a good job with that note. So the note came from his advisors. Pathetic.[/quote']

His actions reflected his true feelings. Any empty words now will not change a thing, the bridges have been burnt.

What a huge ego. Why does he think he is so important that people would be interested in a stupid full page picture of him lauding it up with some **** poor words to go with it. Perhaps he thinks he will inspire us all in the same way he inspired those kids in the Brazilian slum.

Funny to see a lot of scouse on their forum underwhelmed with him. As the saying goes, careful how you treat people on your way up cos you'll meet them again on the way down :-)

Precisely, and they only need a bit of extra training to become a coach/members of staff, who will still be earning more than the rest of us. How many people get to retire in their mid 30's anyway?

Unfortunately it's all too common for those who have got most out of the game, to not put anything back into it when they hang up their boots. I don't count punditry to be giving anything back, although Carra and Neville are worthy exceptions as they don't talk inane banalities the whole time. Looking around, Zidane seems to be a perfect example of a player who has got an awful lot out of football and is now giving back (admittedly at a pretty rarefied level)

With the best will in the world, Pap, I'm not sure any company would be willing to pay £25m to your current employer for your services.

Oh aye, just illustrating the uselessness of contracts in football. The skills are so highly sought after that no-one gives a f**k if you're an arse or not.

Oh aye, just illustrating the uselessness of contracts in football. The skills are so highly sought after that no-one gives a f**k if you're an arse or not.

There is plenty wrong with football, or more to the point with Premier League football. Ultimately, there is too much money in the game and money has a horrible habit of making arses of people.

It is what it is, there is still plenty to enjoy about being a Saint.