Transfer Rumours Only

Jimmy_D

Hardly. They have a poor team by their standards but player for player are better now than in May.

Any others?

Notice the guy the question was asked to hasnt responded.

They've spent over £130m on players in positions they don't need. Playing 3 at the back and got 3 crap centre halves, a pretty average midfield, still haven't signed the top class CM they've need for about 5 years and an injury prone centre forward. I'd have expected a lot more for that outlay.

QPR and Palace are really tearing up the premiership..I am sure I can find others but frankly it isnt worth spending any more time on this cr*p.

You can look but won't find them.

QPR and Palace might have poor seasons but neither has lost any of note (QPR didnt have Remy last season) and both have added.

No way they are weaker than last season like we are.

That doesnt make me depressed, its just an opinion. It hasnt been a good window for us. Not a crime to admit it.

12th would be a massive step backwards IMO.

Why? because we managed 8th once you thought it was going to happen every season? outside the top 6 or 7 the other PL teams (of which we are, have been and probably all ways will be one of) yo-yo about with regards to league position every season.

Atletico Madrid.

So the best example you can come up with is a club that had racked up €500m in debt and owed the taxman €100m - and has been trying to extricate itself from a total financial cluster**** ever since.

Good one, chump :lol:

Of course I hope he scores that many bernie, but let's not pretend he ever has

Where do I will the team to fail. I say it as I see it. We are a way off as a team in quality as we were in May and this is not a good transfer window for us

What is wrong in saying that?

I predicted saints would beat WBA, did you tell me I was clueless then? I also think we will draw tomorrow. Is that deluded or wetting the bed?

Bern please, not Bernie. I am glad you hope he scores more but why post what you did. The way you come across is as a doom merchant. The club have lost a lot of players because the club has been successful and bigger teams want our players. Is that a bad thing? We have a good manager who is trying to get things on track. Is that a bad thing? If we get relegated you and the other negative posters here can have a field day. I like to think though that most right minded Saints fans want to get behind the club and hope for the best. I dont care how many goals Long scores but I do hope that he makes a positive contribution to the squad this season. You sound like you will be picking over his every mistake. I think there is a massive difference in our outlook.

You can look but won't find them.

QPR and Palace might have poor seasons but neither has lost any of note (QPR didnt have Remy last season) and both have added.

No way they are weaker than last season like we are.

That doesnt make me depressed, its just an opinion. It hasnt been a good window for us. Not a crime to admit it.

You say that it hasnt been a good window for us after two games in the league. At this point I would say it has been a lot better for us than QPR and Palace and Burnley and Leicester and etc etc. But then you spend your life picking holes in the club and that seems to get you off. You must be praying that we get relegated so that you can come on here and have a field day. As I said before, get a girlfriend and take up golf ;)

Why? because we managed 8th once you thought it was going to happen every season? outside the top 6 or 7 the other PL teams (of which we are, have been and probably all ways will be one of) yo-yo about with regards to league position every season.

Because we were on the fringes of Europa league places and yes I thought with ambition we could aim for Europa league place, which is what the board claim is their ambition. Dropping down to 12 would be a massive backwards step. It could be a temporary one or a permanent one who knows but it still is one.

You say that it hasnt been a good window for us after two games in the league. At this point I would say it has been a lot better for us than QPR and Palace and Burnley and Leicester and etc etc. But then you spend your life picking holes in the club and that seems to get you off. You must be praying that we get relegated so that you can come on here and have a field day. As I said before, get a girlfriend and take up golf ;)

You be quiet, Bernie. A soon as it goes tittus-verticus in the boardroom, you start banging on about what a disaster it was to lose Lowe.

Because we were on the fringes of Europa league places and yes I thought with ambition we could aim for Europa league place, which is what the board claim is their ambition. Dropping down to 12 would be a massive backwards step. It could be a temporary one or a permanent one who knows but it still is one.

Did you not notice the strong team we put out in the cup there is more than one path to the Europa league what if we finished 12th but got Europa league via a cup final?

Did you not notice the strong team we put out in the cup there is more than one path to the Europa league what if we finished 12th but got Europa league via a cup final?

Playing stronger teams in the cup is nice but if hoping to fluke our way to a cup final is their ambitious plan for European ambition that's rather laughable IMO.

Playing stronger teams in the cup is nice but if hoping to fluke our way to a cup final is their ambitious plan for European ambition that's rather laughable IMO.

Dont over think it. The plan this year is to try much harder to do well in the cup games and get as far as we can, rather than just roll over.

Its not that though, is it? Window drawing to a close and you see other teams (who didnt sell five of their best players) looking like doing some good business. West Ham getting Song, QPR McCarthy to be a sub keeper when we have Davis. Sunderland closing on Van Dijk and maybe Alderweireld.

Nearly sll the teams that finished below us are stronger than last year. We most certainly are not - not even approaching being equal to last year.

That is why people are frustrated. We have only been back in the PL two seasons and in this window have put our place back in jeopardy.

Why did it takes us ages to replace Lovren when it was clear in June he would be going?

Have we replaced the goals we lost? Probably not.

Somehow we have spent £10m on a good keeper, yet if a loan offer comes in for Boruc, will be no stronger in that position than last year.

We brought in a good Manager who wants to play 4-3-3 with genuine wingers, and then despite him asking for one for weeks now, look to be scrambling around in the last couple of days hoping to pick someone up.

Forgive me for being a little frustrated, but Ralph said to judge in September and we will be pleasantly suprised. Since that interview we have loaned and lost Taider, overpaid for 27 year old Long and have signed Gardos who hasnt played yet and who will do very well to be anything like as good as the guy he is ultimately replacing.

With three days left, I dont see much to be pleasantly suprised by, do you?

Agree with most of this, the three names in bold would have been good signings to improve our squad and options.

Long is as you say overpriced, and we can only hopr Gardos cuts it, either way he seems a gamble, and unless the CB options are added to in the next three days we are reliant on Jos and Yoshida as back up (at least).

I hope to be impressed by incomings in the next few days, but don't expect it to happen, perhaps just the erratic Redmond to look forward to.

It's just getting worse....I honestly thought it couldn't get any worse under the tenure of Adkins.

Come Sept 1st our squad is going to be ooh so mediocre.

Last season will feel nothing but a dream.

Cortese gone,Pochettino gone....the dream has gone.

That tends to be the thing about dreams. They're dreams because they're not realistic.

But no I'm sure with Cortese and Pochettino on board another season we'd be raising the CL trophy.

Not Saints related as such but apparently Leicester are bidding 8m for David McGoldrick. Jesus. Makes Long look a snip.

If true, it further highlights this...

Does the Long deal really stand out compared to other recent English club to English club transfers in a post 2013 TV deal marketplace?

We could have got better value abroad, but we live in a time of Championship strikers being sold for £10m+. Shane Long for £12m doesn't stand out as much as it once would.

What a bunch of whinging ****s on here tonight. FFS... All ****ing doom and gloom. If you want to be depressed go and watch Eastenders. Not a transfer rumour amongst the lot of you, just childish pathetic arguments. We are where we are. Get over it. Trying to argue that Crystal Palace haven't had a bad transfer window because they haven't lost any big name players.... They never had any to start with FFS. Just pointless bickering.

Bern please, not Bernie. I am glad you hope he scores more but why post what you did. The way you come across is as a doom merchant. The club have lost a lot of players because the club has been successful and bigger teams want our players. Is that a bad thing? We have a good manager who is trying to get things on track. Is that a bad thing? If we get relegated you and the other negative posters here can have a field day. I like to think though that most right minded Saints fans want to get behind the club and hope for the best. I dont care how many goals Long scores but I do hope that he makes a positive contribution to the squad this season. You sound like you will be picking over his every mistake. I think there is a massive difference in our outlook.

Why do you assume that everyone who doesn't have your unrealistic attitude wants saints to fail? That's just incorrect.

Ah so our transfer activity this summer was all about prioritising the cups instead of the league. I hadn't realised that!

Ah so our transfer activity this summer was all about prioritising the cups instead of the league. I hadn't realised that!

Maybe it's to prioritise both. Ever thought that was possible? I'd rather have a go at the cups and do well in the league than just abandon the cups as we did last year even if it means finishing 9th instead of 8th.

Maybe it's to prioritise both. Ever thought that was possible? I'd rather have a go at the cups and do well in the league than just abandon the cups as we did last year even if it means finishing 9th instead of 8th.

So would I. I never said I didn't want us to prioritise the cups. I just don't tdon'thibk dismantling the team in the manner they have done is part of some master plan to prioritise the cups this season. We are weaker in every area apart from gk and maybe midfield you could argue is similar.

nicely sugar coated MLG 'saints 6th highest spenders', it's a stat the club would come out with to try and put a positive spin on the situation I'm sure. However in it's simplest form: profit in

You know this, I know this and the club do, so why come out with a second ridiculous statement comparing saints to palace, the club started of with + 92 million, imagine it as a 92 million Lidi gift card if it makes it earlier for you?

I'm sure you're just after a 'bite' much like s-Clarke hyperventilating comment.. + 10 troll points for you.

you really think we received 92m cash up for all our players? :lol:

What a bunch of whinging ****s on here tonight. FFS... All ****ing doom and gloom. If you want to be depressed go and watch Eastenders. Not a transfer rumour amongst the lot of you, just childish pathetic arguments. We are where we are. Get over it. Trying to argue that Crystal Palace haven't had a bad transfer window because they haven't lost any big name players.... They never had any to start with FFS. Just pointless bickering.

hear, hear! :thumbup:

Edited by Saint IQ

Could not care less about them.

Our chairman came out and said a couple of times that we will be as strong come SeptemberONE as we were in May

So far, we are miles off

Why? We are only replacing players who you described this time last year as playing rubbish (Lambert).

We don't know how squad compares, could well be better or worse. As you and alpine are sure it is worse, and are two of the most unrealistic posters, it gives me some confidence!

Anyone who thinks we have had anything but the worst transfer window in the league is deluded. Ask any non Saints fan and they will confirm it for you.

As far as player trading goes, in and out of the club, it has been poorly planned and executed.

QPR have just sold Remy haven't they?

But yeah, if a successful window is signing a back up keeper then QPR win hands down...

OK last ask errrr I know John Motson

Ronald Koeman has certainly slowed the panic down and looks to have spent wisely. Dusan Tadic can come in off the line in the style of the departed Lallana. And in Shane Long, they have got a player who can produce 10-12 goals a season.

It wouldn't surprise me in the long run if he and Graziano Pelle make a pair up front. I think their different styles mesh well.

Koeman doesn't strike me as a man with a defeatist look on his face. Despite the difficult summer that Saints have had, they might well surprise a few people this season.

Love it! The negativity is primarily here and a handful of over active posters.

Quick google and these are Liverpool fans thoughts on us..

"With all the sales at Southampton everyone seems to have overlooked the fact that they've made two really smart transfers in Pelle and Tadic who were two of the best players in Holland last season. Seems like they may already have replaced Lallana and Lambert actually, and if they don't sell anyone else they'll actually have a pretty decent starting 11

They'll surely bring in a LB and CB to replace Shaw and Lovren, and will also have Rodriguez to come back.

Seen some people saying that they could get relegated but I think that's wide of the mark. I think they should still be a decent side, probably good enough for a solid mid-table finish around 12th - obviously assuming they keep to their word and hold onto their remaining players and spend some of the £92m on a couple of defenders"

"I think Tadic and Pelle are good signings"

"shane long wont be a bad buy

works hard and will be a physical presence. reasonably quick too."

" Long is a quality IMO, good signing"

"They have a great goalie"

They have bought a lot of players, refused to let their best player leave (and he's obviously disgruntled about it) and whilst they seem to have bought some players who seem direct replacements (Lallana>Tadic, Lovren>Gardos, Lambert> Pelle) there's also some signings that seem to have been made more on the basis of who's available rather than who actually fits for them (Long, Taider). The main issue is, whilst we've bought 8, only two maybe three will start this weekend, and the others have the chance to be eased in."

f they can keep hold of Scneiderlain and Wanyama their midfield will do well. They played class against us"

"they were amazing...Clyne what a player, and also their midfileders"

"Tadic was fantastic today. Clyne was very good as well. If Shane Long can pitch in and score 10+ then they'll finish at least 8th again. "

"Deserved a draw at least to be honest, were fantastic when they grew into the game. Tadic and Clyne very impressive."

"Bertrand was eye-catchingly good, I thought, and those posters who were constantly slating him when he was mooted to be of interest to us might be having second thoughts."

"Bertrand was good, Villa probably didn't suit him"

" think Manchester united hired the wrong dutchman. To think what Southampton have gone through this summer, Koeman's approach and behaviour has been impeccable and they look as effective as last season."

"Bertrand is a decent, solid player, regardless of what some said. Wouldn't surprise me if he got an England recall."

Anyways, I didn't for a second believe the bull**** about them struggling this season. They made quality signings in Pelle, Long, Tadic, Forster, Bertrand, etc, and have another batch of top youngsters coming through in Targett, JWP, Clyne, Davis, and Isgrove among others, which is hardly a weak team on paper after you disregard that they sold 5 lads. Holding on to Schneiderlin has also been essential. I think I even went so far as to say in the Everton thread last week that they could finish about the bitters in 7th"

"Thought they'd drop in the table but if they play like that every game I can see them coming in EL spots. None of Pelle's runs were picked up by his own players and that will get assessed at some point, he'll start banging them in."

"Tadic will probably move for 25 million to some club next summer. Already looks like their best player."

"Look a really strong team still. Of course, we won't know for sure until a few months pass, but really promising signs. Their midfield is still as strong as ever; Schneiderlin and Wanyama are as strong a partnership as you'll find outside of European football, and Ward-Prowse is still looking like a player that I'd really like to take off their hands"

" they will be on the heels of top six again, imo."

Looks like you are wrong Charlie, so maybe just voice your opinion and not be arrogant saying anyone who doesn't agree is deluded?

Bizarre you compare us to QPR so readily. We were 8th, 9 points clear of 9th, 23 points clear of relegation. QPR were 22 points behind Leicester. Maybe you rate their manager?

We have lost a core of a team who had been doing well together but they have been replaced.

Transfers are always gambles, I won't judge ours until well into the season, however...

Additional, expensive upgrade keeper

Although Shaw is very good, and with bags of potential, are we much worse off than 12months ago? Shaw was still improving, we didn't have Targett ready as cover.

Lovren is a good player, but he has been replaced with a player I know as much about as I did about Lovren.

Chambers (I thought may try him here at CB) a clear 2nd choice to Clyne.

I reckon Koeman is happy Pelle and Tadic are upgrades on Lambert and Lallana. He may well be right.

I reckon Long will contribute more than Osvaldo did!

I would rather we had kept players but this shambles / fire sale etc talk is getting beyond a joke!

Our success, IMHO, was largely based on Schneiderlin and Wanyama - who are still here. Clyne was our best fullback at the end of the season. JayRod our top scorer.

We didn't have isgrove, reed and Gallagher in the squad.

Koeman would have to be pretty **** for us to be relegated!

Why? We are only replacing players who you described this time last year as playing rubbish (Lambert).

We don't know how squad compares, could well be better or worse. As you and alpine are sure it is worse, and are two of the most unrealistic posters, it gives me some confidence!

Love it! The negativity is primarily here and a handful of over active posters.

Quick google and these are Liverpool fans thoughts on us..

"With all the sales at Southampton everyone seems to have overlooked the fact that they've made two really smart transfers in Pelle and Tadic who were two of the best players in Holland last season. Seems like they may already have replaced Lallana and Lambert actually, and if they don't sell anyone else they'll actually have a pretty decent starting 11

They'll surely bring in a LB and CB to replace Shaw and Lovren, and will also have Rodriguez to come back.

Seen some people saying that they could get relegated but I think that's wide of the mark. I think they should still be a decent side, probably good enough for a solid mid-table finish around 12th - obviously assuming they keep to their word and hold onto their remaining players and spend some of the £92m on a couple of defenders"

"I think Tadic and Pelle are good signings"

"shane long wont be a bad buy

works hard and will be a physical presence. reasonably quick too."

" Long is a quality IMO, good signing"

"They have a great goalie"

They have bought a lot of players, refused to let their best player leave (and he's obviously disgruntled about it) and whilst they seem to have bought some players who seem direct replacements (Lallana>Tadic, Lovren>Gardos, Lambert> Pelle) there's also some signings that seem to have been made more on the basis of who's available rather than who actually fits for them (Long, Taider). The main issue is, whilst we've bought 8, only two maybe three will start this weekend, and the others have the chance to be eased in."

f they can keep hold of Scneiderlain and Wanyama their midfield will do well. They played class against us"

"they were amazing...Clyne what a player, and also their midfileders"

"Tadic was fantastic today. Clyne was very good as well. If Shane Long can pitch in and score 10+ then they'll finish at least 8th again. "

"Deserved a draw at least to be honest, were fantastic when they grew into the game. Tadic and Clyne very impressive."

"Bertrand was eye-catchingly good, I thought, and those posters who were constantly slating him when he was mooted to be of interest to us might be having second thoughts."

"Bertrand was good, Villa probably didn't suit him"

" think Manchester united hired the wrong dutchman. To think what Southampton have gone through this summer, Koeman's approach and behaviour has been impeccable and they look as effective as last season."

"Bertrand is a decent, solid player, regardless of what some said. Wouldn't surprise me if he got an England recall."

Anyways, I didn't for a second believe the bull**** about them struggling this season. They made quality signings in Pelle, Long, Tadic, Forster, Bertrand, etc, and have another batch of top youngsters coming through in Targett, JWP, Clyne, Davis, and Isgrove among others, which is hardly a weak team on paper after you disregard that they sold 5 lads. Holding on to Schneiderlin has also been essential. I think I even went so far as to say in the Everton thread last week that they could finish about the bitters in 7th"

"Thought they'd drop in the table but if they play like that every game I can see them coming in EL spots. None of Pelle's runs were picked up by his own players and that will get assessed at some point, he'll start banging them in."

"Tadic will probably move for 25 million to some club next summer. Already looks like their best player."

"Look a really strong team still. Of course, we won't know for sure until a few months pass, but really promising signs. Their midfield is still as strong as ever; Schneiderlin and Wanyama are as strong a partnership as you'll find outside of European football, and Ward-Prowse is still looking like a player that I'd really like to take off their hands"

" they will be on the heels of top six again, imo."

Looks like you are wrong Charlie, so maybe just voice your opinion and not be arrogant saying anyone who doesn't agree is deluded?

Bizarre you compare us to QPR so readily. We were 8th, 9 points clear of 9th, 23 points clear of relegation. QPR were 22 points behind Leicester. Maybe you rate their manager?

We have lost a core of a team who had been doing well together but they have been replaced.

Transfers are always gambles, I won't judge ours until well into the season, however...

Additional, expensive upgrade keeper

Although Shaw is very good, and with bags of potential, are we much worse off than 12months ago? Shaw was still improving, we didn't have Targett ready as cover.

Lovren is a good player, but he has been replaced with a player I know as much about as I did about Lovren.

Chambers (I thought may try him here at CB) a clear 2nd choice to Clyne.

I reckon Koeman is happy Pelle and Tadic are upgrades on Lambert and Lallana. He may well be right.

I reckon Long will contribute more than Osvaldo did!

I would rather we had kept players but this shambles / fire sale etc talk is getting beyond a joke!

Our success, IMHO, was largely based on Schneiderlin and Wanyama - who are still here. Clyne was our best fullback at the end of the season. JayRod our top scorer.

We didn't have isgrove, reed and Gallagher in the squad.

Koeman would have to be pretty **** for us to be relegated!

Outstanding collation of comments there. Life isn't as bad as some would like us to believe.

you really think we received 92m cash up for all our players? :lol:

Do you really think we paid cash up front for all our players? We're probably still paying for Ramirez and Osvaldo. Nobody believes all transfers are paid cash up front but every newspaper/website/tv station etc just takes the overall price when working out how much clubs have bought or sold. It makes life easier and doesn't make much difference. If you're going to be picky about how much we've sold, you've got to be picky about how much we bought.

The QPR comparison is fairly simple to understand, as I made clear it was referring to player trading. Manager etc is not relevant to that.

Will try again for you:

We have brought in some good players, but also lost 5 of our best players. Nobody could say we are at all stronger after this window than we were last season.

QPR haven't lost anyone they wanted to keep who played for them last season. They have also added the likes of Ferdinand, Caulker, Mutch, McCarthy, Isla, Vargas and soon to have added Diarra.

They have strengthened versus last season, which in simple terms is what you should be looking to do in the transfer window.

As you say, we were miles, miles ahead of them last season. But we havent strengthened and they have, so not too illogical to say that purely in terms of player trading they have had a far, far better transfer window than us.

Do you really disagree with any of the above?

McGoldrick going to Leicester for £8m - ridiculous.

why? If he had not played for us before there would be loads of posts saying we should buy him.

he is a very good player and scored loads last season until he got injured.

People forget that he was thrown in to our first team when we was 18(?) when the club was in turmoil.

i wish him luck and hope he proves himself in the PL

why? If he had not played for us before there would be loads of posts saying we should buy him.

People forget that he was thrown in to our first team when we was 18(?) when the club was in turmoil.

I don't think there would be.

10 months younger than shane long with one good season in the championship which still wasn't as good. i wouldn't like to spend 8m on that.

10 months younger than shane long with one good season in the championship which still wasn't as good. i wouldn't like to spend 8m on that.

8m. Is too high but we seem to have moved into a new phase re prices of players. Prices have jumped since the new T v deal has come in

McGoldrick was not dealt a fair hand with us, he was put in the team at 18 when all around him was collapsing,three chairmen in one season, managers changing, the club financially broken and suffering its own civil war, breakdown of discipline among the players. the result was that he looked gash and was gash but if he's with a well organised club he may do well: good luck to him.

McGoldrick was not dealt a fair hand with us, he was put in the team at 18 when all around him was collapsing,three chairmen in one season, managers changing, the club financially broken and suffering its own civil war, breakdown of discipline among the players. the result was that he looked gash and was gash but if he's with a well organised club he may do well: good luck to him.

I don't think he was gash, he just didn't run around like a headless chicken. He was tagged lazy,when his strength was scoring goals. It may seem mad now but when MLT was first in the team I had lots of heated debates with people telling me he was a waste of space, lazy and a luxury player. Not all players need to run around to be decent of course.

A goal every four games at second/third tier level. Patchy career achieving nothing of note. 26 years old, older than Lallana. Eight million quid.

There are no players that fit that description or anything close to that have been touted/recommnded on here.

The closest could be Rhodes but his goal record pi ss es all over McGoldrick and is younger.

Edited by CB Fry

This was on BBC radio Scotland sport report this morning . We could substitute saints for Celtic

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell accepts that the club's transfer policy has faltered in the last year or so.

He said: "We've got more players coming in right than wrong, but recently have we replaced what's left, in the striker department, with as good quality?

"That would be a question. But that's not down to lack of money, it was just judgement calls."

Amido Balde, Teemu Pukki and Leigh Griffiths have arrived since last June to bolster the Celtic front line.

But striker Gary Hooper and key players Victor Wanyama and Kelvin Wilson left last summer and Celtic recently sold keeper Fraser Forster to Southampton in a £10m deal, while Georgios Samaras and Tony Watt also left before the current season got under way

Peter Lawwell

Celtic chief executive

"We've brought in five players this window and we're hoping to bring a sixth in over the weekend," said the chief executive.

"We could have bought them but we think it is smarter to play them for a year and see if they fit in.

"If they are right we have an option to buy them. I think that is smarter."

"When you can't afford to buy the best, as maybe we could have done in 2001-03, it is now impossible to buy the best; you have to create the best.

"The main challenge "We've brought in five players this window and we're hoping to bring a sixth in over the weekend," said the chief executive.

"We could have bought them but we think it is smarter to play them for a year and see if they fit in.

"If they are right we have an option to buy them. I think that is smarter."

"The main challenge is to convince the right players to come here to play for Celtic, develop them, put them in the team and get in the Champions League.

Supporters fret that the defeat by Maribor could lead to the sale of Dutch defender Virgil van Dijk

"We don't need to sell him and we don't want to sell him and the player's been told that," said Lawwell.

"He is a young man with a lot of talent. We don't think it's the right time."