Calum Chambers - Done Deal - Official

washsaint

Ignoring the high fee for Shaw, £16m for someone who has played 22 league games is to me fairly extraordinary. I know that this is based on potential, but to me that is somewhat of a risk. I think Wenger must have been very very impressed during the 2-2 at SMS, where he did have a storming game. But £16m having played 22 games??

when we are spitting them out and they end end up costing far more than that. best get them whilst their prices are lower

wont be long before they just get the next big thing from staplewood before they make their first team debuts. be even cheaper

a big thing from saints academy at the mo is a pretty sure thing as young prospects go

Ignoring the high fee for Shaw, £16m for someone who has played 22 league games is to me fairly extraordinary. I know that this is based on potential, but to me that is somewhat of a risk. I think Wenger must have been very very impressed during the 2-2 at SMS, where he did have a storming game. But £16m having played 22 games??

It's not 16m though. Will be a long time, if ever, that we actually see anywhere near that.

Apparently it's around £4m up front, further £4m next year, and the rest on league wins, league apps, cup wins, international apps and CL apps. It looks a lot, but is actually very heavily based around achievements.

He's English which puts a premium on him. But in a few years Chambers may well be worth £50 million or more - look at Bale. Wenger has been quite good in spotting our up-and-coming stars in the past - and he's just done it again.

I'm sure clyne doesn't fancy sharing the rb position this year and guessing chambers would expect to be played a lot this season, and if he doesn't play much he won't be worth anywhere near 12 million next summer. I would rather have clyne at rb, proven and coming in to his prime, I'm guessing the management think the same

Basically, at this stage we have only sold players to champions league clubs plus man Utd. Hard to stand in players' way when those clubs come knocking.

If Morgan goes to spurs that will be a kick in the teeth, but he's given us several seasons and may be set on having a change of scene. Can't blame the guy if he wants to live in London over Southampton.

None of which helps us of course, but we are in a difficult situation. Basically the players have clocked that (understandably) we're not going to invest to get into the Champions league, so having finished 8th last season, they're looking for a new challenge (and more money into the bargain)

He's English which puts a premium on him. But in a few years Chambers may well be worth £50 million or more - look at Bale. Wenger has been quite good in spotting our up-and-coming stars in the past - and he's just done it again.

Chambers doesn't have anything like Bale's pace, nor does he have his ability to strike a ball. He's good, don't get me wrong, but he's going to turn into a very solid player who does several things well, without being exceptional at any of them. He's never going to be a £50m player.

Another great deal, I must admit we're getting great value for all of our top players and anyone worth anything. The situation is ridiculous and unprecedented.

It's not 16m though. Will be a long time, if ever, that we actually see anywhere near that.

Apparently it's around £4m up front, further £4m next year, and the rest on league wins, league apps, cup wins, international apps and CL apps. It looks a lot, but is actually very heavily based around achievements.

Luckily, any players we do sign will be on similarly structured deals, unless you think we've paid some eleven million for Tadic in cash in one lump sum payment, no questions asked.

Another great deal, I must admit we're getting great value for all of our top players and anyone worth anything. The situation is ridiculous and unprecedented.

Agree with you. We didn't want to sell anyone, but the players wanted to go on to higher ranked clubs, and we are getting top dollar in for them.

I know everyone is pee'd off right now, but think positive .... what if we get in real quality and bank £50M as well. GREAT TRANSFER WINDOW then.

Agree with you. We didn't want to sell anyone, but the players wanted to go on to higher ranked clubs, and we are getting top dollar in for them.

I know everyone is pee'd off right now, but think positive .... what if we get in real quality and bank £50M as well. GREAT TRANSFER WINDOW then.

Mean while in the real world, we lose quality, team dynamic and spirit and the money in the bank won't mean a damn thing

Why do we, as fans, care how much money is in the bank? Notwithstanding we don't want to go bankrupt obviously. Money in the bank just means you have ability to make a decent signing at a later date...but we need players NOW!

Why do we, as fans, care how much money is in the bank? Notwithstanding we don't want to go bankrupt obviously. Money in the bank just means you have ability to make a decent signing at a later date...but we need players NOW!

I wonder if the amount of money we are making can positively effect our wage cap with regard to FFP. Anyone know?

Patience man! If we leave it a bit longer we might be able to afford more/better players with the interest that's being accumulated. If we stick a bit of it in a long term ISA we will laughing!

I wonder if the amount of money we are making can positively effect our wage cap with regard to FFP. Anyone know?

Probably yes, isn't it non_broadcasting revenue. Anyway on the subject of FFP ans salarial mass. What does anyone estimate to be the saving on annual salary of Pelle and

Tadic compared to say Lambert and Lallana.

Mean while in the real world, we lose quality, team dynamic and spirit and the money in the bank won't mean a damn thing

Yes, but when you reflect on what the Club has done in the last five years; factor in the Cortese mantra and latterly the Pochettino effect, the unraveling of the best VI was always going to happen. It's quite possible that Koeman has worked out who is/was nailed on to the Cortese/MP "vision" and decided the way ahead is a clean out of those who want out and a quality core of players to replace them free of the previous buzz. And then there's the massive fees and wages being dangled by the big end of town. Like many, I'm holding fire on the Board and KL until closer to kick off/end of transfer window.

Yes, but when you reflect on what the Club has done in the last five years; factor in the Cortese mantra and latterly the Pochettino effect, the unraveling of the best VI was always going to happen. It's quite possible that Koeman has worked out who is/was nailed on to the Cortese/MP "vision" and decided the way ahead is a clean out of those who want out and a quality core of players to replace them free of the previous buzz. And then there's the massive fees and wages being dangled by the big end of town. Like many, I'm holding fire on the Board and KL until closer to kick off/end of transfer window.

Well if you believe the report in the express Koeman just seems to be bent on filling up with players from the Dutch league and other sundry Dutchmen. It's probably just 2+2=7

lazy journalism though.

Well if you believe the report in the express Koeman just seems to be bent on filling up with players from the Dutch league and other sundry Dutchmen. It's probably just 2+2=7

lazy journalism though.

Well let's hope it's in-the-know journalism - Dutch centric it might be, but they all sound like quality replacements. If Koeman was not the new manager I would be worried about a form of asset stripping going on but the hopeful thing to believe is that RK is happy to take the big money and build his own side of happy campers.

Probably yes, isn't it non_broadcasting revenue. Anyway on the subject of FFP ans salarial mass. What does anyone estimate to be the saving on annual salary of Pelle and

Tadic compared to say Lambert and Lallana.

IMO so a guess, no saving in wages, and none for replacements for any sold except Osvaldo.

IMO so a guess, no saving in wages, and none for replacements for any sold except Osvaldo.

not so sure there, doubt if either Pelle or Tadic are on huge amounts, don't think the Dutch league pays very well so even mediocre PL salaries might be a considerable step up for them.

Or like seeing the best players around you sold off. I'm sure the spirit of those remaining is fantastic.

Someone probably reminded them that they are on obscene wages and should be grateful. That would have resolved any disappointment, right?

Someone probably reminded them that they are on obscene wages and should be grateful. That would have resolved any disappointment, right?

No, never said it would.

What a lovely place Saints FC must be, a disappointment free utopia.

Team spirit is not to a bottle of scotch you pass around CB. It is a bond and very hard to nurtur. I have played in quite a few different teams in sport and sometimes there is a chemistry and others there is not, being paid is not what creates that.

We are where we are and as fans have got to get on with it. My opinion of KL motives is still the same get 100+million in and spent 30 or so. Add the TV money and Thankyou very much

I think you're more likely to nurture team spirit in a squad full of players that want to play for the club rather than 5-6 wantaways.

just got to hope ALL the 8 or so new players will want to play for us after a few games

I was tempted to ask him the same thing. Hopefully not

For around two minutes, I did. But then I spoke to my source. They had meant to put it in a message along with some news about youth team targets, thought they had, and didn't check. They pointed out that in the last 3 years, there has only been this outgoing player and one incoming player that I didn't know about in advance.

Now while the mood is naturally suspicious at the moment, I asked myself (putting myself in the shoes of others on here) what tangible benefit would my source of had by omitting or lying about the omission? It's not like we would have started the season and no-one would have asked where chambers had gone. It was less than 24 hours after speaking to my source that the news broke. So in this case at least, the conspiratorial angle just doesn't make any sense.

Now if certain posters want to talk deliberate leaks - has anyone seen the express today?

For around two minutes, I did. But then I spoke to my source. They had meant to put it in a message along with some news about youth team targets, thought they had, and didn't check. They pointed out that in the last 3 years, there has only been this outgoing player and one incoming player that I didn't know about in advance.

Now while the mood is naturally suspicious at the moment, I asked myself (putting myself in the shoes of others on here) what tangible benefit would my source of had by omitting or lying about the omission? It's not like we would have started the season and no-one would have asked where chambers had gone. It was less than 24 hours after speaking to my source that the news broke. So in this case at least, the conspiratorial angle just doesn't make any sense.

Now if certain posters want to talk deliberate leaks - has anyone seen the express today?

No need to defend yourself, Guan. I believe you. Would you have any inclination that the sum mentioned in the Express is accurate? If leaked I'd imagine it was but it seems a wee-bit low. Then again I don't know the payment structure of the deals.

Really appreciate your updates - I'm more concerned with 'why' he is being sold - not rated? Troublemaker? Or offer viewed as too good to turn down?

Really appreciate your updates - I'm more concerned with 'why' he is being sold - not rated? Troublemaker? Or offer viewed as too good to turn down?

My money would be on Chambers having a paddy when he found out about the interest and demanding he be allowed to let go.

My money would be on Chambers having a paddy when he found out about the interest and demanding he be allowed to let go.

Yes, I guess it presents a dilemma, he is one we really could afford to drop to the reserves until he changed his mind, however if Koeman only wants players in the squad who want to be here, I guess letting him go for a good fee is understandable.

Yes, I guess it presents a dilemma, he is one we really could afford to drop to the reserves until he changed his mind, however if Koeman only wants players in the squad who want to be here, I guess letting him go for a good fee is understandable.

Did we not receive a bid for him in January ? I'm sure that we were told yesterday (or Friday) that we did, same club, similar sum by all accounts. So it's unlikely that he's just found out about anything. 2 options.....we wanted the money rather than the player or RK didn't want to keep him. Then again you can rule out option 2 by re-reading Koeman's interview 2 weeks or so back " I want to keep all of the players"... Never did find out if Gaston was really on the transfer list though.

I said I am the new manager and I’d like to keep all the players, and Dejan is an important player in an important position.

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/11072014-talking-points-ronald-koeman-part-one-1745612.aspx#MBT6pl1bJ7mZEkZu.99

"

Edited by Window Cleaner

It's great having all this money in the bank having done great deals for our players. Just remind me though, how many millions do 40 Premier League Points cost? What do you mean you can't buy them? Oh, that's us f....d then.

Give it a chance, for Gawd's sake. Come back in 3 or 4 weeks and then you can start worrying, if you still want to.

This, Wenger has been speaking to him for at least 3 years according to one of his best mates. This was back in February and he was very clear Chambers wanted to go to Arsenal, even to sit on the bench ! His view was that he was behind Clyne anyway so might as well go sit on Arsenal's bench with the promise of first team fob all in 2 years.

It's great having all this money in the bank having done great deals for our players. Just remind me though, how many millions do 40 Premier League Points cost? What do you mean you can't buy them? Oh, that's us f....d then.

I hope you're not suggesting what i think your suggesting.

Mods, just to be on the safe side, i think you should remove this persons post before it lands the club in hot water. In today's climate, any sort of silly comment, joke or not, about match fixing is unwise. Unfortunately, i suspect that Didcot Saint isn't joking

Tomorrow by all accounts, well press speculation anyway. Don't know how long the rest of them are in the US for though.

Arsenal flew back to the UK almost immediately after their game with NY Red Bulls yesterday.

Edited by shurlock