• Cork
    • Davis
    • Tadic
    • Long
    • Pelle
    • Wanyama
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Gardos

We were brilliant today, right from the off - a real pace and intent in all area's of the pitch. In many ways it was a complete mirror of last years home win against Newcastle, and if we're still that good after selling £100m of players, then our scouting and management set-up deserve some incredible praise.

What impressed me more than anything were the dynamics of the final third, always moving, always probing...in many ways, the threat and intent in that area is better than last year. We have mid fielders who are no longer afraid to get forward, and somehow...he's managing to get goals from Cork and Morgan consistently!

Special mention to Toby who I thought was utter class. We've basically replaced Lovren with a Lovren-level player, there's nothing between them. His reading and positioning of the game was of a very, very high level and he is a huge coup for us - even though it's just a loan.

Pelle lead the line brilliantly once again, he's really grown from the goal he got at Millwall and looks a different player now. They couldn't handle him in the first half, too strong and too much guile which was opening them up time and time again.

Based on the start we've made, we look utter class. It's obviously a little too early to get carried away just yet and start predicting etc, but IF we carry on with the level of performance and continue the intent in our attacking play as we've shown then we can have a very good year - too early to say how good though!

Really pleased and a nice way to carry on some real momentum since the WHU game.

Hats off to Koeman, who is top, top class. Playing with a swagger today, and there is a distinct possibility that by January potential mid season moves to Spurs and the dippers won't look quite so appealing.

Be nice if Villa could draw against the scousers to round off a great day, with Vlaar giving Lovren and Lallana a good hiding for a Brucie bonus...

So Villa are 1-0 up and Lallana has been booked, good enough so far? Vlaar isn't playing though.

Just back from the game. What an exciting performance. Yes, Newcastle were utter dog sh*te but nevertheless, we looked sexy!

Forster: Boruc will struggle to get his place back. Made a couple of cracking saves and looks as though he is going to claim anything and everything that is tossed into the box. A couple of misplaced kicks but I'm kind of used to that. Fills me with more confidence than Boruc ever has. Sorry irene.

Bertrand: I was always happy with this signing. His positioning is good, he's quick and doesn't give much away. Would have liked to see him get beyond their right back a little more today but a solid performance.

Clyne: quality. He's miles better than Walker, Johnson Stones et al but I'll be happy if Roy never picks him. Save it for Saints!

Fonte: didn't put a foot wrong. Easy game for our captain.

Toby: Another quality signing. Looked comfortable alongside Jose, held the line well. Good distribution and won most headers that he went for. Pushed on into defensive midfield role when Gardos came on for the last five minutes, allowing Morgan to push forward:)

Morgan: Cracking goal to finish off a classy overall performance. Never leave!

Jack Cork: Scored. Let me say that again. Scored!!!! Had a great game. Second half, when Big Vic replaced Long, he pushed right up almost alongside Pelle. Worked his socks off and deserved his well taken goal.

Davis: Where he left off last season. First name on the team sheet for me, in a midfield that looks incredibly strong.

Tadic: Classy player and is linking up brilliantly with Pelle amongst others. Good game today but plenty more to come.

Long: looked lively without making any clearcut chances. Flattened by Krul and subbed at half time. Looked groggy.

Pelle: After the Leverkusen game I feared that he would struggle but today he was brilliant. Worked so hard off the ball, tracked back all game. Some brilliant little touches and lay offs, not least for Morgan's goal. Second goal was comical (after horribly slicing the initial shot), but 2 great finishes. Thoroughly chuffed for him and my MOTM.

Subs: Big Vic, JWP and Gardos: JWP did well on the left after replacing Tadic. Should have hit the target with shot from outside the box though. Big Vic is a tank. Gardos only had 5 mins.

All in all, we won at a canter. Ronald Koeman football genius. Played Cork up front and got him on the score sheet! Even had a wave for the fans. Best signing of the summer without a doubt.

Tremendous reception for Franny at half time. Bought a lump to my throat when he said he was glad to be home at St Marys. But why were there no collection buckets? Didn't see anyone collecting cash from the moment I stepped in the ground to the moment I left. Shame.

What a cracking day though. Looking forward to the season. Exciting, attacking football. A manager with vision and players giving their all. Ship it on.

COYS!!!

Totally dominated the game, although to be fair Forster made 2-3 point blank saves that kept them out. Our midfield is absolutely awesome, but Cork for me was brilliant today - he really doesn't get the plaudits as he should...an all round excellent performance all over the park - I think he's a better balanced player than Lallana.

We've definitely upgraded the squad this season - can't wait to see what Mane and then J-Rod bring to the team. If they can get a place that is! Koeman tactically got it right bringing on Big Vic the brickhouse. Can't wait to see MOTD.

For about 15-20 minutes after our second goal, I thought Newcastle took the game to us and we looked a bit edgy...thought they were going to get back into. Getting in at 2-0 was crucial and allowed us to control the second half totally. They completely gave up after 3-0 and we just pushed the ball around for the last 25 minutes.

very good performance though. Be special if we can get 6 from the next 2... I'd take 4 though!

IMO we have a better squad than we did last season and a better manager. I know Newcastle were very poor today but that was a great performance and a great win.

To me the difference is that we have far more quality available from the bench.

Does that mean we have had a better transfer window than most on here thought? ;-)

interesting seeing Cork so far forward. Thought he did well and offers an interesting option.

When he was first time here under Jan Poortviet, Cork played a role like he's doing now and had several goal assists. I tweeted the video to Koeman and posted on here. Only Koeman took any notice. :)

In my view bringing on VW was the key to our win today. We looked under pressure towards the end of the first half. Not sure if Long went off due to the battering he had but it was perfect opportunity to get the Beast into midfield and from then on we totally dominated the game.

Great support from Newcastle fans who deserve much better than having Ashley/Pardew destroying their club. Their songs were mainly self deprecating gallows humour but it will be a long trip home and a long hard season for them.

Toby is class. Feel a bit sorry for Maya because he hasn't really put a foot wrong this season but he'll be lucky to dislodge the Belgian judging by today's performance.

Anyway, I really hope we can sort the Cork situation out. It's the only missing piece of the jigsaw at the moment.

Love it. Imagine the video he'll post up when Pardew finally gets the tin tack!

Anyway I'm stuck at work so was intermittently following this game on Soccer Saturday. Loving the final score, same as last season, which shows that we're perhaps AS good a team, if not better, than we were last season with the English core. Very optimistic about the season now, looking forward to MOTD tonight! More of the same please Saints. Arsenal in the cup will be very interesting...

Even before the game began the signs were there that Saints would win.

After the pre-match handshakes, all the Saints players were passing balls among themselves.

The Newcastle players just split up, some stood around on the pitch, others milled around off it.

Not once did Pardew get off his seat either throughout the 90.

Saints could have routed them had they wanted to. It reminded me of the Fulham game last year at home, ripping the opposition to pieces early on and then releasing the pressure.

This happened after 2-0 for the rest of the first half. During the second 45, Newcastle was given enough of the ball, but this Saints XI knew that with its ability Newcastle could be picked off even further at any time.

Quality game.

I'm sorry, I just don't believe that stat. There is absolutely no way Newcastle had more of the ball than we did.

Stats taken directly from Sportinglife match report. Possession stat slightly surprised me too, though 'toon had plenty of [pathetically pointless] ball late in the 1st half. Maybe that swung it?

Even before the game began the signs were there that Saints would win.

After the pre-match handshakes, all the Saints players were passing balls among themselves.

The Newcastle players just split up, some stood around on the pitch, others milled around off it.

Not once did Pardew get off his seat either throughout the 90.

Saints could have routed them had they wanted to. It reminded me of the Fulham game last year at home, ripping the opposition to pieces early on and then releasing the pressure.

This happened after 2-0 for the rest of the first half. During the second 45, Newcastle was given enough of the ball, but this Saints XI knew that with its ability Newcastle could be picked off even further at any time.

Quality game.

True. The Newcastle subs didn't warm up at half time either. Think Pardew will be gone tomorrow.

Won 4-0 without really getting out of 3rd gear, quality stuff. Probably signed Pardew's death warrant as well (although TBH I don't mind the guy).

I know it's early season, but there's something delicious about having Poch, Shaw, Lovren, Lallanal, Lambert and Chambers all enviously looking up at us in the table!