• Cork
    • Davis
    • Tadic
    • Long
    • Pelle
    • Wanyama
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Gardos

Back from the game. A real pleasure; the largest margin I've seen Saints win by in the flesh. We looked so damned comfortable too. While we can't read too much into the result (I've not seen many teams as dispirited; certainly not seen fans as collectively despondent), really assured stuff at times.

Long was a bit of a disappointment, but was also unlucky at times. Can't have too many complaints at his substitution, particularly if the knock he seemed to pick up was real.

Pelle is well and truly off the mark now. In that sense at least, doesn't matter a jot that the opposition was Newcastle. Goals is goals. I'm extremely impressed with his attitude and performances to date. Shame not to see him take the match ball. Did he mean that cross that became the one-two for his second goal? :)

As others have remarked, the passing was beautiful at times. Koeman's team expands and contracts very nicely; positioning looks very good. Newcastle did manage to get it into the mixer a bit; most of the time we had outfield players in the way - Forster, who I'm loving more each game, handles the rest. I particularly liked his pawing away off to the corner of Chapel and Kingsland. Normally the sort of thing to send me into jitters, but looked the right choice at the right time. Come on irene; even you have to admit he's looking like an upgrade.

Overall, hugely satisfying win. Day has just been capped off with news that Liverpool have lost to Aston Villa. I had a tenner on a Villa win @ 10/1. Only regret is not shopping around for better odds.

From the New C forum

"This defeat is made worse by the fact that southampton sold virtually every top player this summer , lost pochettino , got a new manager and have had to basically start over again plus Koeman has no experience in the premier league.

This was a club in crisis over the summer and they have just p***** all over us ! "

This coupled with the abysmal Sousehampton display with three of our ex players

Shows how important our midfield was and continues to be

I like it!

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

memorable moments.... game was really good, and the team played well...

Benali at halftime was good, top bloke, and le Tiss was there also, he just keeps giving, and was so happy to be back at saints, he was signing everything, and photos. what a legend...

Was proud to be Saints supporter today. We have a great club...

memorable moments.... game was really good, and the team played well...

Benali at halftime was good, top bloke, and le Tiss was there also, he just keeps giving, and was so happy to be back at saints, he was signing everything, and photos. what a legend...

Was proud to be Saints supporter today. We have a great club...

Memorable moment was the rather lovely Kenzie walking round the pitch.

Pap bit harsh on Long. He started like a rabid terrier, got clobbered and that was really that. Suspect maybe mild concussion??

Agree

Get the ball and then go through the player outfield and it's a foul but not if the keeper does it, even with his fist

The pace went out of our game after Long got knocked senseless. He's going to be one of those players who's efforts aren't fully appreciated.

Pap bit harsh on Long. He started like a rabid terrier, got clobbered and that was really that. Suspect maybe mild concussion??

How that wasn't a penalty and red for Krul is beyond me. Even taking off my saints specs, I just cant understand that one. Be interesting to see what the motd pundits say tonight in the 48 seconds allocated to the saints game.

How that wasn't a penalty and red for Krul is beyond me. Even taking off my saints specs, I just cant understand that one. Be interesting to see what the motd pundits say tonight in the 48 seconds allocated to the saints game.

I spose ref thought krul punched the ball rather than long, he did give us throw in, or corner, or whatever the **** it was

Early days so far this season of course, but not too early I think to congratulate Ronald Koeman who he has achieved the difficult task of melding a hastily assembled group of players into what promises to be a team that is perfectly capable of competing effectively in the upper reaches of this division. Okay we have spent a lot of money to be fair, but even so this is a remarkable achievement for a manager who is himself new to the rigours of the Premier League.

I must add here that my prediction that we might struggle at the start of this season looks well wide of the mark tonight. But as a Saints fan I'm more than happy to have been proved wrong and the only mitigation I can offer for my foolishness is that many years of supporting this club has inbred a level of pessimism into this fan that he finds hard to shift.

As for today's match I can't remember the last time Newcastle did anything much at St Mary's, but even so I thought we blew them away with what may have looked like contemptuous ease but was actually the just reward for a bloody magnificent effort put in from every player in a red & white shirt. Even on the rare occasions when we allowed NUFC a brief glimpse of our goal Fraser Forster was well capable of snuffing out any danger - I think in Boruc and Forster we now have a pair of keepers to match any other in this division. The only little worry I have left is that perhaps Newcastle are a 'soft touch' at the moment and hence make us look a bit better than we really are - time will tell I suppose.

Today was a rare treat for me and littleun because circumstances dictate that I just can't afford to come to every match anymore - how I envy you lot that can because this season could be yet another special one.

Newcastle were ****e. Never seen such a disinterested excuse for a team in all my days. Having said that, I thought Saints were superb. Pelle is really starting to get to grips with the league and although Forster had very little to do, he was always ready and made a couple of good saves to stop him getting bored. Great work today. Big challenge next though as Swansea are doing well. Looking forward to smashing mad Harrys bunch the week after too.

after the mauling we took ....from the media in the summer.....not to mention quite a few "name " contributors on this site, a repeat of the " Massacre of Newcastle " we saw at SMS in the Spring.

Interesting note that only 3 of the start side today were in that team last season; Fonte, Cork and Steve Davis. Says a lot more about Pardew's Newcastle than either Pochettino's or Koeman's Saints teams.

A lot of people will downgrade the victory against a bottom of the table side, but Pelle's two goals will do harm to his reputation . Schneiderlin and Cork have sudenly found a taste for goals, too.

Throw-in. I'd like to see it again.

I did see it again, (on the TV replay 10 seconds afterwards) and the TV commentator clearly thought Krul punched Long and was lucky to stay on the pitch.

The ref. didn't / couldn't see it.....so no action was taken. Should have been a penalty.

An Appeal (under the proposed Sepp Blatter system) might have changed that decision - it looked bad, and Long went off at HT .

Edited by david in sweden

I did see it again, (on the TV replay 10 seconds afterwards) and the TV commentator clearly thought Krul punched Long and was lucky to stay on the pitch.

The ref. didn't / couldn't see it.....so no action was taken. Should have been a penalty.

An Appeal (under the proposed Sepp Blatter system) might have changed that decision - it looked bad, and Long went off at HT .

I did feel that Long went looking for the collision and got cleaned out.

We were sublime today. There wasn't a poor performance from any of our players, several of whom could realistically have been worthy nominations for MOTM, depending on your point of view on what constitutes the important contribution to a team. Fraser made two great scores for example, which kept a clean sheet and things would not have been quite so comfortable had he let them in. And then we have the three midfield stalwarts of Cork, Davis and Schneiderlin that make the team tick by winning the balls and distributing them to form our attacks and also form a usually impenetrable barrier in front of our defence. The defence were generally solid throughout, with a good debut from Alderweireld, who exuded class alongside Fonte. Both Clyne and Bertrand were good getting forward, but quick to get back to defend and gave us the width to stretch the midfield and allow us the space to play our passing game.

Tadic and Long were a thorn in their side out wide and were effective providers of balls into Pelle, who if he continues in this devastating form will be one of the players of the season. The two of them switched wings during the match, just to confuse their markers. When comparisons are made between him and Lambert, Lambert's overall game is mentioned, his ability to hold up play, his vision and passing ability, but Pelle patently has quite a few attributes of his own and clearly has a good footballing brain. His two goals make him my MOTM, but several others weren't far behind.

A few weeks ago after the West Brom match, there was a thread asking where the goals would come from. Well, the answer is from all over the place. It's going to need one hell of a defence to keep out not only Pelle, but also Cork and Schneiderlin too and I suspect that Long and Tadic will soon be finding the back of the net too, let alone Rodriguez when he returns, and hopefully Mane. It is far too early to draw any concrete conclusions, but there is a suggestion that we have the perfect set-up at the moment; not only a mean defence, but a free-scoring attack too.

Having taken control of the match with our two goal lead in the second half, credit to us for continuing to press at the start of the second half. One felt that we had an extra gear when we took our foot off the pedal and let them come into it a bit more, but we always carried the threat of hitting them on the break. We had a passage of possession where the Ole's rang out around the stadium late in the game, when we wound the clock down and frustrated them. But just as I was thinking that we couldn't be as good as Pochettino's team who had scored four against them here last season, up pops Schneiderlin in injury time to prove me wrong. :lol:

All credit to Koeman so far for getting out team selections and tactics spot-on. I don't fear any team in the division based on how we have started so far.

We were sublime today. There wasn't a poor performance from any of our players, several of whom could realistically have been worthy nominations for MOTM, depending on your point of view on what constitutes the important contribution to a team. Fraser made two great scores for example, which kept a clean sheet and things would not have been quite so comfortable had he let them in. And then we have the three midfield stalwarts of Cork, Davis and Schneiderlin that make the team tick by winning the balls and distributing them to form our attacks and also form a usually impenetrable barrier in front of our defence. The defence were generally solid throughout, with a good debut from Alderweireld, who exuded class alongside Fonte. Both Clyne and Bertrand were good getting forward, but quick to get back to defend and gave us the width to stretch the midfield and allow us the space to play our passing game.

Tadic and Long were a thorn in their side out wide and were effective providers of balls into Pelle, who if he continues in this devastating form will be one of the players of the season. The two of them switched wings during the match, just to confuse their markers. When comparisons are made between him and Lambert, Lambert's overall game is mentioned, his ability to hold up play, his vision and passing ability, but Pelle patently has quite a few attributes of his own and clearly has a good footballing brain. His two goals make him my MOTM, but several others weren't far behind.

A few weeks ago after the West Brom match, there was a thread asking where the goals would come from. Well, the answer is from all over the place. It's going to need one hell of a defence to keep out not only Pelle, but also Cork and Schneiderlin too and I suspect that Long and Tadic will soon be finding the back of the net too, let alone Rodriguez when he returns, and hopefully Mane. It is far too early to draw any concrete conclusions, but there is a suggestion that we have the perfect set-up at the moment; not only a mean defence, but a free-scoring attack too.

Having taken control of the match with our two goal lead in the second half, credit to us for continuing to press at the start of the second half. One felt that we had an extra gear when we took our foot off the pedal and let them come into it a bit more, but we always carried the threat of hitting them on the break. We had a passage of possession where the Ole's rang out around the stadium late in the game, when we wound the clock down and frustrated them. But just as I was thinking that we couldn't be as good as Pochettino's team who had scored four against them here last season, up pops Schneiderlin in injury time to prove me wrong. :lol:

All credit to Koeman so far for getting out team selections and tactics spot-on. I don't fear any team in the division based on how we have started so far.

Very well put Wes I am looking forward to the Arsenal game hope we put out a good team we should then have a chance

Shouldve gone off immediately if that's the case

The saints physio was doing his nut on the side lines but the ref wouldn't let him on the pitch when Long was clobbered about 10 minutes later he final got the game stopped so they could look at Long but must have figured he was ok because he finished the half.

Care to share a summary? Was not aware he had given an interview :)

oh sorry yeah, been looking for a link somewhere.

basically he said everyone wondered what was going on when all the players were sold in the summer but that the club had done well by bringing in players that made us probably a stronger squad than last season.

He also saw no reason we couldn't build on the 8th from last year and that was what he and the rest would be aiming for.

Sounded really happy and positive :)

Listened to Pardew on the way home saying something about the supporters getting on the teams but mainly his back, from early on and that it want helpful. Blaming the fans that had travelled how many hundred miles is it.

What a totally class less cnunt.

This.

The Newcastle fans are a passionate bunch and, had Newcastle given them anything, would have got behind them.

As good as we were they lacked quality, concentration, application, spirit, tactics ... basically anything you would want to see from your team.

Listened to Pardew on the way home saying something about the supporters getting on the teams but mainly his back, from early on and that it want helpful. Blaming the fans that had travelled how many hundred miles is it.

What a totally class less cnunt.

They might have travelled miles but to stand there singing "we're sh it and we know we are" or "Pardew out" during the game is hardly going to inspire the players. The Newcastle players couldn't get down the tunnel fast enough one toon player was trying to get them to go over to the away fans but the toon players didn't want to go any where near them.

Great win today - So important that we followed up the West Ham game with a resounding win at home, and we got just that.

Credit to Koeman for getting the players to gel so quickly - Can't wait for MotD.

Exciting to think we still have Mane & J-Rod to come back in as well.

A lot of people will downgrade the victory against a bottom of the table side, but Pelle's two goals will do harm to his reputation . Schneiderlin and Cork have sudenly found a taste for goals, too.

Well, they are bottom of the table tonight because we thrashed them. But you're right.

Just got back home, thoroughly enjoyable day apart from having to stand up on south west trains for ages.

We looked really sharp for the first 20 and then let them back into it with Forster making a good save. Looked like a def penalty from the itchen so will be interested to see that again.

Fair play to Franny for what really is some achievement. My wife has only just been given the all clear from cancer ( we hope ) so couldn't say thank you enough for helping to hopefully cure what really is a horrible illness.

Not long been in.Enjoyed the whole game.Corky was my choice for MOM but only just shaded it from the rest of the team.I was somewhat surprised by the lack of effort by the Magpies.Correct me if I'm wrong but did they actually make a tackle in the match? Possession doesn't amount to much when we win 4-0. Apart from the bloody traffic jams on the way back to Shropshire a most enjoyable day.

COYSAINTS.

In my view bringing on VW was the key to our win today. We looked under pressure towards the end of the first half. Not sure if Long went off due to the battering he had but it was perfect opportunity to get the Beast into midfield and from then on we totally dominated the game.

Great support from Newcastle fans who deserve much better than having Ashley/Pardew destroying their club. Their songs were mainly self deprecating gallows humour but it will be a long trip home and a long hard season for them.

Toby is class. Feel a bit sorry for Maya because he hasn't really put a foot wrong this season but he'll be lucky to dislodge the Belgian judging by today's performance.

Anyway, I really hope we can sort the Cork situation out. It's the only missing piece of the jigsaw at the moment.

Agree with this. Big Vic really added stability and steel in the second half - we invited the Toon back in to the game at 2-0 and looked shaky leading into half time. So many midfield options and watching Morgan, Cork and Davis together is marvellous. Special mention to Pelle and Tadic for their guile and eye for goal. Defence solid with TA looking a brilliant addition.

good thing about that game was that (despite Newcastle being awful) it looked like Saints were playing well within themselves.We really look a threat and have true competition for all positions now - something we have not had for many a year.

Could be a frighteningly good season if we continue to improve and Mane and Rodriguez to come in.

Full credit to Koeman - commentators were talking about how RK changes it up all the time so other team doesn't know how we will play next as opposed to 'Plan A' Pochettino last season.

Early days but hugely encouraging. Certainly don't see how we will be involved in a relegation battle and really think we could challenge for 6/7 this year.