• Davis, S
    • Schneiderlin
    • Mane
    • Tadic
    • Pelle
    • Long
    • Cork
    • Targett

I enjoyed that, my first game of the season, but it wasn't good for the old nerves. We should have capitalised on more of our chances and QPR were a whisker away from an equaliser. But like the Swansea win, these are the kind of games we'd have been drawing in the past.

Mané looked good, but I hope there's more to come from him. I'm surprised so many people went for Pellé as MOTM though, as worldy aside I thought he was quiet in parts. Wanyama was heading for my MOTM until his substitution as he was winning everything in the first half but overall I thought Steven Davis was brilliant all game, and could quite possibly have scored a brace.

Overall, happy with the win, six wins in six. Bring on Spurs.

Bertrand and Pelle got the goals their performances deserved, both had really good games. The spine of the team with Fonte, Morgan and Pelle is looking good, all three are leaders on the pitch. Keoman has instilled a winning mentality in this side that we have rarely shown in the top flight.

So the gormless Neville brother drones on about what an understanding Chambers and Oxlade-Chamberlain seem to have together. Of course they bloody do. They were together at Southampton in the academy. And then he comments on how many English players they had on the pitch, yes, including those two from us. And isn't Ramsey Welsh?

Well, first game for Moonraker jnr and me of the season,thanks to my son moonraker jnr winning tickets at a raffle at his school, Beechen Cliff Bath!!!! (Jason Dodd) plus the home of Saints Academy Bath! Any ways after 7 pints of Thatchers Gold I am now able to comment! I expected a tough game and we got it, but we won, the current SFC team has more potential than i have ever seen (First Game 1963) the dutch chap seems to understand how to play the beautiful game. COYR

Robbie Savage: What a goal from Jagielka … and that one from Charlie Austin for QPR as well!

Fletch: … and Pelle's was even better.

Savage: (unconvinced) Yeah …

Plank. Of all three goals, he picks Austin's as the best? It was a nice bit of skill, but surely Pelle's finish was on a whole other level?

Another great weekend. Get that into you Redknapp you jail dodging skate. And you Kranjcar you cheating pikey git. And another winless weekend for Pochettino. Moment of the weekend (apart from Pelle's goal) was the sight of Lovren falling to his knees after nodding it to Jagielka to rifle in the equaliser in stoppage time in front of the kop.

Excellent result against a hard team to beat but just to be a little different I am going to mention a couple of areas where I felt we could improve on. In the light of three points gained I am nitpicking I accept but it doesn't harm to look at ways to make us better.

1. Tadic's crossing is very poor and so was Clyne's yesterday

2. Pelle does not seem to win many headers with his back to goal

3. We still lack a "clinical" finisher - too many chances are being wasted.

Excellent result against a hard team to beat but just to be a little different I am going to mention a couple of areas where I felt we could improve on. In the light of three points gained I am nitpicking I accept but it doesn't harm to look at ways to make us better.

I agree re Clyne (didn't think he had his best game yesterday and Tadic - I've been one of the few that have been a little critical of him, I find his final ball, crossing and shooting just lets him down a bit - somewhat like Lallana in that regard ironically.

I think Pelle has been a good enough finisher for us overall this season, so not a problem in that regard, despite us missing a fair few chances yesterday.

Didn't think there was too much of a problem with Pelle winning headers - I thought his holding up of the ball and link up play was good and is there a player that is better at chesting the ball off to a team mate? He just seems to have the knack for that.

My only two criticisms yesterday were we struggled to manage the game out when we went 2-1 up, didn't boss the ball and keep possession and see the game out and aligned to that we did knock the ball long a bit too much at times.

I agree re Clyne (didn't think he had his best game yesterday and Tadic - I've been one of the few that have been a little critical of him, I find his final ball, crossing and shooting just lets him down a bit - somewhat like Lallana in that regard ironically.

I think Pelle has been a good enough finisher for us overall this season, so not a problem in that regard, despite us missing a fair few chances yesterday.

Didn't think there was too much of a problem with Pelle winning headers - I thought his holding up of the ball and link up play was good and is there a player that is better at chesting the ball off to a team mate? He just seems to have the knack for that.

My only two criticisms yesterday were we struggled to manage the game out when we went 2-1 up, didn't boss the ball and keep possession and see the game out and aligned to that we did knock the ball long a bit too much at times.

definitely that. We made the last bit of the game far to hard by pushing for another goal and losing the ball should have just tried to keep the ball and passed QPR to death in the last few minutes IMO

definitely that. We made the last bit of the game far to hard by pushing for another goal and losing the ball should have just tried to keep the ball and passed QPR to death in the last few minutes IMO

if course, this is against a team fighting for their lives and you would expect (hope, if you are a QPR fan) to go for it at the end

IMO, not getting the 2nd at 1-0 or the 3rd at 2-1 was what gave them the impetus. some very poor misses really

and that comes off the back of two very tough away games in the week

Edited by Batman

not getting the 2nd was what gave them the impetus. some very poor misses really

Its an easy excuse but I definitely thought a very high tempo midweek game caught up with us a bit in the second half

Also thought Cork took 10 mins to get into the game and initially that substitution did more harm than good.

You may have noticed the forums post count has dropped massively recently? Congrats guys, youve both ruined the forum.

Our best start for 30+ years! This place should be buzzing, but you two attention seekers just post your crap over and over and over again. Do either of you ever have a day off?

Edited by Heisenberg

You may have noticed the forums post count has dropped massively recently? Congrats guys, youve both ruined the forum.

Our best start for 30+ years! This place should be buzzing, but you two attention seekers just post your crap over and over and over again. Do either of you ever have a day off?

LOL. Bit rich G_S?

LOL. Bit rich G_S?

Fair, but I was able to take a step back and make a change. These two moaned non stop and got posters banned only so they could take over as the forum dicks.

Remember this http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?46066-Sort-this-site-out

Anyways back on topic.... Great win, great looking at the table, wont get carried away but loving it all so far.

Team is so exciting and with Tadic, Pelle and Mane leading the line have we ever looked more dangerous? Anyone that isnt pumped up and delighted about our start is a wum or insane

This has been an incredible start. Rather than comment on here, I've mostly been going to the games instead. It makes a nice change! Been to West brom, West ham, arsenal, QPR and will be at Spurs. It's been great...

Exactly. And saying that we maybe looked a bit tired second half is not a criticism at all, just a possible reason why it was quite a tricky half.

Definitely on a roll and would regard that as a hard earned win. A win where in the past we might have only managed a point (or worse).

Some good performances out there yesterday and I would go as far as saying that performances can get even better as the team really starts to knit together (fingers crossed for no major injuries!!!). Forster looked solid and The back four steady. Bertrand has fitted in as though he has been here ages, but Toby needs more game time.

Vic, Davis, Cork and Morgan all performed, with Vic being my pick of the bunch.

its going forward where I think we can be even better. Pelle is scoring, but think he has even more to offer. It's obvious Tadic has class, but I don't think we've seen the best of him yet, so hopefully he will get better as he really settles in. Mane provides something different to what we've had in recent years-pacy, unpredictable, busy and had a good debut, but like Pelle & Tadic I'm hoping there is even more.

QPR weren't as poor as I thought they would be and gave us a good test, but a fair result would have been 5-2.

Tadic Mane Pelle Long JRod :)

I'd imagine some rotation when JRod is fit, as can't see Mane, Tadic, JRod & Pelle all starting many games. Those four would be great going forward, but the other midfielders and defence would have their work cut out!

Didn't mention Shane Long above, and as much as he I don't think he is worth £12m, I thought he put in a good shift yesterday and gave us an outlet & some legs in the latter stages.

Could be that this week's training will include a lot of shooting practice. I certainly hope so because we will lose or draw games that we should win if we don't do better than against QPR.

The euphoria of four Premier League wins in succession is understandable - I know because I'm suffering from it as much as anyone, but if you take a deep breath it is possible to see this run as containing elements of luck.

The West Ham and Newcastle results were well deserved because we were the better team but the Swansea game turned on the sending-off of Wilfred Bony and even against 10 men we did only manage to score one goal. Against QPR we had plenty of chances to put the game beyond them but in the end it was an individual flash of brilliance that won the game, rather than sustained pressure, and even then they could have equalised with the shot from the free kick that hit the bar.

Had we drawn two of these games instead of winning them, we'd be 7th in the table instead of 2nd and we have Man U and Tottenham breathing down our necks. This run of 4 games has been very important but over the next three it would be nice to see more assurance in the outcomes rather than the close calls of the last two games.

Having said that, I'd settle for a draw at Tottenham, much as I'd love to see us win, but I do think it's reasonable to expect 6 points from the next two home games to have a chance of holding on to second place.

Duncan, I kept an eye on Pelle throughout and you are correct he did not win many back to goal but what I did notice was that his presence meant the centre back could head the ball up and slightly forward and another Saints midfielder picked up the loose ball. It has the same effect as him winning the ball.

Could be that this week's training will include a lot of shooting practice. I certainly hope so because we will lose or draw games that we should win if we don't do better than against QPR.

The euphoria of four Premier League wins in succession is understandable - I know because I'm suffering from it as much as anyone, but if you take a deep breath it is possible to see this run as containing elements of luck.

The West Ham and Newcastle results were well deserved because we were the better team but the Swansea game turned on the sending-off of Wilfred Bony and even against 10 men we did only manage to score one goal. Against QPR we had plenty of chances to put the game beyond them but in the end it was an individual flash of brilliance that won the game, rather than sustained pressure, and even then they could have equalised with the shot from the free kick that hit the bar.

Had we drawn two of these games instead of winning them, we'd be 7th in the table instead of 2nd and we have Man U and Tottenham breathing down our necks. This run of 4 games has been very important but over the next three it would be nice to see more assurance in the outcomes rather than the close calls of the last two games.

Having said that, I'd settle for a draw at Tottenham, much as I'd love to see us win, but I do think it's reasonable to expect 6 points from the next two home games to have a chance of holding on to second place.

Meh. If we lost the next two it's still a great start.

Tiredness caught up with us in the 2nd half; but also think more is going on. Zamora's entrance made a big difference as he bullied Alderweireld who was probably the freshest of our players (Wanyama's substitution left us a bit exposed in this respect) and Hoillett was much more threatening than Phillips (though could be due to tiredness).

But even towards the end of the first half, we were sitting deeper and deeper, gifting QPR plenty of possession (like we did against Newcastle when we went 2up) as well as turning it over, perhaps because we're happier to be quite direct. So far, we've coped pretty well -Austin's finish, for instance, was brilliant, no fault on the defense, other than perhaps Hoillett's ability to cut in and run across the edge of the box unchecked.

Still wonder how we'll fare against teams that are better and more clinical in possession - the first half against Swansea left a lot of unresolved questions.

Edited by shurlock

Tiredness caught up with us in the 2nd half; but also think more is going on. Zamora's entrance made a big difference as he bullied Alderweireld who was probably the freshest of our players (Wanyama's substitution left us a bit exposed in this respect) and Hoillett was much more threatening than Phillips (though could be due to tiredness).

But even towards the end of the first half, we were sitting deeper and deeper, gifting QPR plenty of possession (like we did against Newcastle when we went 2up) as well as turning it over, perhaps because we're happier to be quite direct. So far, we've coped pretty well -Austin's finish, for instance, was brilliant, no fault on the defense, other than perhaps Hoillett's ability to cut in and run across the edge of the box unchecked.

Still wonder how we'll fare against teams that are better and more clinical in possession - the first half against Swansea left a lot of unresolved questions.

I thought Hoillett looked a real threat when he came on, caused us problems - yesterday went to show that QPR have some half decent players that their management don't always get the most out of.

I thought Hoillett looked a real threat when he came on, caused us problems - yesterday went to show that QPR have some half decent players that their management don't always get the most out of.

I think Clyne was also unable to really touch Hoilett as he had already been booked. Hoillet definitely made a difference for them.

Always thought if you don't play well and win its a sign of a good team.

Didn't mention Shane Long above, and as much as he I don't think he is worth £12m, I thought he put in a good shift yesterday and gave us an outlet & some legs in the latter stages.

Nice touch from Shane Long yesterday, made a special effort after the game to go into the Chapel to give his shirt to someone - I'm guessing it was to one of our disabled supporters but couldn't really see, but nice one nevertheless.

Think the euphoria of winning 6 on the trot is getting to some. Really enjoying being 2nd, but in all honesty yesterday we looked jaded after the midweek game, though Fonte might have been regretting cancelling the day off for the team. Thought Tadic was quite poor but improved when he switched to the left when Mane went off. Pelle's goal was fantastic, but he is a player I cannot warm to at the moment, seems to be playing primarily for himself, and is poor at winning headers. Mane is exciting, no doubt, looks like the player Mayuka should have been, but sometimes it seems like he doesn't actually know where he is going with the ball. I am a big fan of Morgan, bu thought he was very average yesterday, though he was key in our first goal intercepting their clearance and turning it into attack. As usual this season we play quite poorly for much of the 1st half, then it seems Ron fires the guys up and we come out much better. Hopefully we will have got this sorted by the time we play any of the top teams. So good stuff so far, but really could do better. Still ****es me off how bad we were against WBA.

Nice touch from Shane Long yesterday, made a special effort after the game to go into the Chapel to give his shirt to someone - I'm guessing it was to one of our disabled supporters but couldn't really see, but nice one nevertheless.

Think the euphoria of winning 6 on the trot is getting to some. Really enjoying being 2nd, but in all honesty yesterday we looked jaded after the midweek game, though Fonte might have been regretting cancelling the day off for the team. Thought Tadic was quite poor but improved when he switched to the left when Mane went off. Pelle's goal was fantastic, but he is a player I cannot warm to at the moment, seems to be playing primarily for himself, and is poor at winning headers. Mane is exciting, no doubt, looks like the player Mayuka should have been, but sometimes it seems like he doesn't actually know where he is going with the ball. I am a big fan of Morgan, bu thought he was very average yesterday, though he was key in our first goal intercepting their clearance and turning it into attack. As usual this season we play quite poorly for much of the 1st half, then it seems Ron fires the guys up and we come out much better. Hopefully we will have got this sorted by the time we play any of the top teams. So good stuff so far, but really could do better. Still ****es me off how bad we were against WBA.

basically, we were not perfect yesterday, then?

How can you not warm to Pelle? He's everything you want in a target man. Can you tell me exactly what you think he should be doing? He wins a fair bit in the air as well, holds it and brings others into the game.

How can you not warm to Pelle? He's everything you want in a target man. Can you tell me exactly what you think he should be doing? He wins a fair bit in the air as well, holds it and brings others into the game.

Not warm to pelle and tadic was poor you must be utterly clueless.

No he isn't. He is not very good in the air at all, at times seems more interested in making sure his hair is not out of place. As my daughter puts it, he is a bit of a pansy, is rather afraid of getting stuck in. Yesterday he was quite poor, but redeemed himself by scoring a top quality goal. A few flashes of good link up play, but very little else to be honest. Sorry, if my opinion of him is not the same as yours, not sure why I have to tell you what I think he should be doing, I think it was clear in my original post.