Mane

Wiggles31

What a signing! First time since Chamberlain we've had a pacey winger. Totally unpredictable and they couldn't deal with him whatsoever yesterday.

2 games and has won a penalty and produced an outrageous assist. One for the fantasy team and a future fans favourite.

If he can cut the offsides, his trickery and pace will give many defenders a hard time.

Atm, looking great.

PS- this guy makes us sikk in FIFA 15! Jay Rod, Long, Mane and Mayuka if you are a right old pace who*e!

I don't think he'll ever entirely cut out the offsides,part and parcel of that approach always trying to gain that yard off the back of a defender's shoulder.

Looks a good player though and definitley offers us something different.

If you look at Pelle, Tadic and Mane, for each one it's clear what they're in the team to provide, very different players that each offer something.

Is he a papa Waigo type offside player? Remember that we were assured he was offside all the time because he was so good he was thinking 3 or 4 moves ahead of everyone else and they couldn't keep up. I'm sure the Arabian first division are overjoyed to have a player like that in their league.

Still early days but was impressed -good tight control and stayed on his feet much more than on Tuesday (ironing out Sandro was no mean feat). Nice to see him drift inside where he showed good awareness of space and others movement, suggesting he's more than your vanilla winger. Thank f**k, the genius Levy thought he could hardball us into selling Morgan by rejecting our bid for Townsend. Talk about cutting your nose to spite your face.

I think this guy is going to be mustard for us. The back-heel assist was sublime.

Don't think I've seen him crack a smile yet though!

When I watched his utube vids when he signed I thought it was strange that when ever he scored he did not really celebrate and never really smiled, I think its just his demeanor.

Still early days but was impressed -good tight control and stayed on his feet much more than on Tuesday (ironing out Sandro was no mean feat). Nice to see him drift inside where he showed good awareness of space and others movement, suggesting he's more than your vanilla winger. Thank f**k, the genius Levy thought he could hardball us into selling Morgan by rejecting our bid for Townsend. Talk about cutting your nose to spite your face.
Yeah, definitely agree on that, thank f**k we never got saddled with Townsend.

To give him his due - everyone says he goes down easy - and he may granted. But he seems to be running at full pelt most of the time, a slight knock is going to put him off balance and send him down. Fair enough sometimes he can stay up but to avoid hurting self it is easier to go down. A lot of the time he just got up again yesterday. Just my opinion though...

I think this guy is going to be mustard for us. The back-heel assist was sublime.

Don't think I've seen him crack a smile yet though!

Big grin on his face at around 2.02.40. There's the video if you need proof ;)

http://www.footballorgin.com/2014/09/premier-league-2014-2015-southampton-v_27.html

After a couple of those offsides in quick succession yesterday, I started thinking about Pa**** Cisse who seems to be prolific in that department. Maybe they don't have the offside rule in Senegal? :rolleyes:

Is he a papa Waigo type offside player? Remember that we were assured he was offside all the time because he was so good he was thinking 3 or 4 moves ahead of everyone else and they couldn't keep up. I'm sure the Arabian first division are overjoyed to have a player like that in their league.

A few mates of mine were understandably asking the same question but the answer is honestly, not at all.

Not only is he lighting quick, his change of direction, close control and dribbling off either foot is superb. He didn't just stick to the wings either, but cut inside and looked to create something wherever he could.

Confident lad too, not just in terms of taking players on but also directing his teammates where to go and where to give him the ball.

There were a few crossed wires here and there in terms of the running but those will be ironed out i'm sure. I'm very, very excited about Mané; think he could be a top player for us throughout the season and in terms of end product and effectiveness, he's got every chance to prove himself better than Lallana.

Weaknesses? Only really defensive ones. He's stick-thin and whilst he does put a tackle in and try and intercept the ball, he's just so weak that he struggles to give his full-back a great deal of protection. The protection he does give from a defensive point of view is that pacey outlet where one through-ball is released and we've got a one-on-one; but you'll notice he was subbed off yesterday as Redknapp tried to overload us on the right (where their goal came from) as of course Bertrand isn't exactly perfect defensively and Mané obviously not really built for that kind of job as a 'defensive winger'.

but yeah, Mané is a terrific player.

He will frustrate and will bring 32,000 collective sighs in most home games...but he can do something randomally out of the blue. Such a good option to have, I'm not even sure he knows where he's going sometimes! Plays in a similar way to Yannick Boalsie at Palace, but seems to be up a notch ability wise.

If he can cut the offsides, his trickery and pace will give many defenders a hard time.

Atm, looking great.

PS- this guy makes us sikk in FIFA 15! Jay Rod, Long, Mane and Mayuka if you are a right old pace who*e!

Problem is he is too quick for the linesman - at least twice yesterday he was level and was given off side as the lino was too slow to keep up with him - where is "give the attacking side the benefit of any doubt" rule? Even on MOTD they showed one incident where his feet were clearly behind the defender, but as he was leaning forward his head was maybe just ahead - how is that offside? Still as many hae said he will be coached to improve on this - he can be a yard behind and still win the race if timed better.

Problem is he is too quick for the linesman - at least twice yesterday he was level and was given off side as the lino was too slow to keep up with him - where is "give the attacking side the benefit of any doubt" rule? Even on MOTD they showed one incident where his feet were clearly behind the defender, but as he was leaning forward his head was maybe just ahead - how is that offside? Still as many hae said he will be coached to improve on this - he can be a yard behind and still win the race if timed better.

He was offside every time, sometimes well offside. Before you berate the assistant on the line I recommend that you take the time to learn the offside law and its implementation. There is no such thing as 'benefit of the doubt' and 'any part of a player’s head, body or feet' is sufficient to be offside. If you don't like it, take it up with FIFA.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/clubfootball/01/37/04/27/interpretation%5flaw11%5fen.pdf

He was offside every time, sometimes well offside. Before you berate the assistant on the line I recommend that you take the time to learn the offside law and its implementation. There is no such thing as 'benefit of the doubt' and 'any part of a player’s head, body or feet' is sufficient to be offside. If you don't like it, take it up with FIFA.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/clubfootball/01/37/04/27/interpretation%5flaw11%5fen.pdf

who rattled your cage?? Bit touchy are we?

I was commenting on how ref's often interpret decisions, didn't realise this was a FIFA rules exam site - thought it was a fans forum, where people post their views - even (get this Mr Misery Guts) if they are different to yours!!! Ah well my mistake - won't bother next time. Jez - why can't people be happy when we are doing so well?

I was commenting on how ref's often interpret decisions, didn't realise this was a FIFA rules exam site - thought it was a fans forum, where people post their views - even (get this Mr Misery Guts) if they are different to yours!!! Ah well my mistake - won't bother next time. Jez - why can't people be happy when we are doing so well?

He's right though. You can't really be critical of an official for correctly applying the rules. There is no interpretation or opinion involved there.

You made 2 points...both were wrong..he corrected you with facts. Why get angry? Thank him for educating you in the offside rule which now you have a better grasp of.

He's right though. You can't really be critical of an official for correctly applying the rules. There is no interpretation or opinion involved there.

John Cross was moaning about the official who gave Nolan offside. Saying he should not have given it as he could not be 100% sure he was offside.

he was offside (just) and how the hell would john cross know how sure a lino was or is??

Plus the lino only needs to keep up with the last defender not Mane. But apart from that

Oh dear, another one who can't distinguish between being happy and being wrong. Whitey is correct, your view is just like Fat Sam on MOTD last night. He was wrong with Nolan's goal, and the assistant got it spot on. Actually I do disagree slightly with Whitey there was one offside that was wrongly called, when Mane made a diagonal run from just inside our own half. You have to be in the opponent's half to be offside according to the Laws of the game.

Oh dear, another one who can't distinguish between being happy and being wrong. Whitey is correct, your view is just like Fat Sam on MOTD last night. He was wrong with Nolan's goal, and the assistant got it spot on. Actually I do disagree slightly with Whitey there was one offside that was wrongly called, when Mane made a diagonal run from just inside our own half. You have to be in the opponent's half to be offside according to the Laws of the game.

So where was the free kick taken? Presumably in Saints half if you think he called it wrong because he was in his own half - in which case, shouldn't the ref be suspended for a couple of games?

So where was the free kick taken? Presumably in Saints half if you think he called it wrong because he was in his own half - in which case, shouldn't the ref be suspended for a couple of games?

The ref will always take the assistant's flag in these cases. Believe it or not, these games are analysed by the FA from several camera angles and all the officials are taken through their performances in the interests of improving their decision making. There is one camera that just follows the referee throughout the game.

I thought I was being polite! ;)

I was merely supporting my colleagues in the refereeing community and hoping to explain their decision-making. Of course I'm happy that we are doing so well, but there was nothing wrong with any of the officials yesterday, I didn't see one mistake, which is unusual.

Can you remember about what time that run was? There was one occasion on about 64 mins when Mané was well offside in their half and a few of those around me were giving the assistant a few mouthfuls.

Does anyone else think that the decision-makers in the club might have moved on from J-Rod?

Based on our signings, I wouldn't be surprised if they have not only accepted the possibility that he will move on in January - they might actually want to see it happen.

Not me. We're thin squad-wise in the attacking department. It's a long hard season, and if Pelle or Tadic get injured/suspended we'll be in trouble without J-Rod.

Not me. We're thin squad-wise in the attacking department. It's a long hard season, and if Pelle or Tadic get injured/suspended we'll be in trouble without J-Rod.

I think we're definitely going to need him before the end of the season. The only problem is that it usually takes several games to get back to match fitness.

I think we're definitely going to need him before the end of the season. The only problem is that it usually takes several games to get back to match fitness.

Hopefully we'll still be in a couple of cup competitions for him to get some sharpness.

Does anyone else think that the decision-makers in the club might have moved on from J-Rod?

Based on our signings, I wouldn't be surprised if they have not only accepted the possibility that he will move on in January - they might actually want to see it happen.

JRod may never be the same again and Sadio looks as good already and is going to improve as he fits in with his team mates so the chances of cashing in on JRod must be high. If we do sell, let the bidding begin at £20m remembering that big Hammers bloke that is always injured and never does anything cost £30m+ years ago

I thought I was being polite! ;)

I was merely supporting my colleagues in the refereeing community and hoping to explain their decision-making. Of course I'm happy that we are doing so well, but there was nothing wrong with any of the officials yesterday, I didn't see one mistake, which is unusual.

Ok (or rather "ok, ok, but but, Soushampton resspects everyones") - no offence taken - sorry if I came across a bit aggressive! Did not realise you were a fellow official, who in the majority do a terrific job, in an often "no win" environment.

My point about Mane is that he will learn (or be taught) to make better calls, but as many have said as he plays just off the last defender, he will naturally be pulled for off-side regularly - nature of the beast.

Anyway - last of my 3 posts, so enjoy Sunday everyone, and hope the yanks don't keep doing too well in the golf!

Can you remember about what time that run was? There was one occasion on about 64 mins when Mané was well offside in their half and a few of those around me were giving the assistant a few mouthfuls.

Afraid not, didn't see it at the time, but it was highlighted on Sky Match Choice I think last night.

Clearly the free kick was taken in the opponent's half because that's where the officials called it. I don't think anyone is saying the officials are completely stupid.

Ok (or rather "ok, ok, but but, Soushampton resspects everyones") - no offence taken - sorry if I came across a bit aggressive! Did not realise you were a fellow official, who in the majority do a terrific job, in an often "no win" environment.

My point about Mane is that he will learn (or be taught) to make better calls, but as many have said as he plays just off the last defender, he will naturally be pulled for off-side regularly - nature of the beast.

Anyway - last of my 3 posts, so enjoy Sunday everyone, and hope the yanks don't keep doing too well in the golf!

No problems, great debating with you. :)

We used to have similar debates about Papa Waigo, he doesn't have to play so as to be technically onside, he just has to time his runs so that the flag doesn't go up no matter what any of us might think. I'm sure the club will be taking him through special training. He's fast enough anyway that he can afford to hang back a yard.

I'm really pleased that Mane looks like he will be the player in this league that we had all hoped for.

I had been worried about him just looking good previously in inferior competitions, but he looks the real deal.

Our acquisitions this window have turned out overall to be absolutely outstanding

We haven't paid 10M for a 'frustrating' player... he's far better than that, has pace, a football brain, a great passer and will score goals.. compare him to Long and its chalk and cheese...

The offsides were mainly due to the delay in the forward pass, and a couple were very tight.. looking forward to how he deals with one on one with the PL goalkeepers.

JRod may never be the same again and Sadio looks as good already and is going to improve as he fits in with his team mates so the chances of cashing in on JRod must be high. If we do sell, let the bidding begin at £20m remembering that big Hammers bloke that is always injured and never does anything cost £30m+ years ago

That's pretty much how I see it.

We have to sign him to a new contract or sell him in January while he still has decent transfer value, and signing him to a bumper new contract has a lot of risk attached for the club.

As much as I like J-Rod, I don't think it would necessarily be a bad decision to to him go. We have already signed players who can replace what we'd be losing, he may not fit into Koeman's style quite as well, and there's money in the transfer budget.

I'm trying to see it from the club's perspective.

This

For a first home appearance, in a new country, not knowing a soul, it was a fantastic and very exciting effort. I felt really sorry when he was subbed because something really sparky had gone. I'm going to get some kicks out of watching this fellow. He reminded me of Channon's early days and that's the biggest compliment I can pay.