Saints vs Arsenal Build Up

Lighthouse

A repeat of New Years days two years ago when Saints took an impressive 1-1 draw. This fixture has been drawn on the last 3 occasions with a 2-2 draw last season, also in January.

Morgan has a 1 match suspension. Pelle is NOT suspended. Bertrand is available. Clyne is either fit or having his leg amputated depend on which twitter feed you believe.

Giroud misses this game, the second of a 3 match ban.

I'd play 433, at the Emirates we were more than in it in the first half and had Pelle scored the chance which Davis beautifully set up for him I reckon it would be a different story.

I'd rather have Alderweireld marking Sanchez, and I believe Yoshida is more than capable of handling Welbeck. Only problem is, I'm not sure whether Wenger will play Welbeck up top or Sanchez up top or whether he plays on the wing.

However, today, Welbeck was on the wing and Sanchez was up top. If that's the case, I'd play this:

Forster

Yoshi Fonte Alderweireld Bertrand

JWP Wanyama Davis

Tadic Pelle Mane/Long

Bench: Davis, Gardos, McCarthy, Targett, Reed, Mane/Long, Seager.

I'd like to see Reed play instead of Tadic, but I reckon a lot of you would slate that idea.

LOL ... at a time when the whole team could barely get anywhere near the ball, you manage to single out a single player.

No wasn't that. He should have loads of energy after being out vs palace and today and for me he didn't bother chasing back. Like the bloke but in the time he was on saw a lack of effort.

Right back is certainly an issue. Toby didn't look particularly comfortable and neither did yoshida. I'd be tempted to blood McCarthy there but haven't seen enough of him to know if he's ready. morgans replacement seems a toss up between reed who would give tenacious tackling and jwp who add set piece threat.

TA good enough to play RB for Belgium.....the formation is of more interest, can we realistically play 352 without Clyne offering the pace to play as a wingback??

No wasn't that. He should have loads of energy after being out vs palace and today and for me he didn't bother chasing back. Like the bloke but in the time he was on saw a lack of effort.

Did not see that at all - I think questions remain on Long's finishing and real quality, but on work rate and commitment he has no issues at all. The few moments of respite we got near the end of the game were when balls were played out to the left for Long to chase and I think he drew a foul and a throw on at a time when we desperately needed some breathing space.

Odd to pick out a player like this in a performance where every single player seemed to give 100% commitment in a great rearguard action. I guess some people are never happy...

Totally agree. Can we afford to carry JWP just for his dead ball ability? He just didn't get in the game today and this isn't the first time.

Defensively in a game like today it just doesn't suit him because he is quite weak and not very aggressive. He let Hazard win a header against him in our box near the end FFS.

But Arsenal will be a different game, they arent as powerful as Chelsea and it may suit him more.

Did not see that at all - I think questions remain on Long's finishing and real quality, but on work rate and commitment he has no issues at all. The few moments of respite we got near the end of the game were when balls were played out to the left for Long to chase and I think he drew a foul and a throw on at a time when we desperately needed some breathing space.

Odd to pick out a player like this in a performance where every single player seemed to give 100% commitment in a great rearguard action. I guess some people are never happy...

No I'm over the moon with saints. Maybe being harsh. Thought we were amazing today.

So are people saying we can only get value from JWP against so-called "weak" teams? I guess I could be comfortable with that as long as he is rotated out for the games against the "strong" teams. However, Is he in danger of becoming a peripheral squad player like Gaston did? Because frankly I don't see the value in a midfielder who spends the bulk of his game time running from one side of the pitch to another and not putting a tackle in.

Toby is the best defender I've ever seen in a Saints shirt.

Not enough games to judge, would still go for Michael Svensson (in my time watching Saints). If he carries like this for the whole season, may start to agree though, he does look to be a top class player.

Mahusiffff game ... Which we can win....really excited about this.

Gutted that Morgan got a red today ...we could have done with him...but he's one player and we can still win without him.

Beat the Arse and then March On to do to Manure what we should have done at SMS

If all that happens I will start to believe in miracles ! Haha

Toby is the best defender I've ever seen in a Saints shirt.

Totally agree. Killer was a fantastic player, a legend in my opinion, but Toby's better and also more useful... F'rinstance moving him to attacking midfield.

Confident on the ball and not over-awed when taking on the likes of Costa. Sold him a number of beautiful dummies which wound him up nicely.

TA is world class.

I'll get slated for saying this but I would start Harry Reed in midfield rather than JWP who I thought had a poor half hour on the pitch today.

Agree perfect to play arsenal. Long looked poor too.
Pick the team based on who you think will be best for the game by all means, but a bit silly to base it on 15mins of another game surely?

Totally agree. Killer was a fantastic player, a legend in my opinion, but Toby's better and also more useful... F'rinstance moving him to attacking midfield.

Confident on the ball and not over-awed when taking on the likes of Costa. Sold him a number of beautiful dummies which wound him up nicely.

TA is world class.

Mark wright was the best so far IMO. However, if we can keep Toby he could go on to be greatest. M svennson was awesome too.

I have no idea what would be best to have at RB.

I thought had Clyne been fit, 3 at the back would have been good as liverpool made arsenal look very poor playing that system.

arsenal simply wont change how they play

RB is a bit of a problem (from a clueless fan PoV)

one thing is for sure, arsenal will be dangerous going forward and will have lightening pace up front. which is even more annoying that clyne is out.

I think we will play 433 given who we have out...

Forster

Bertrand (at RB)

Fonte

Toby

Targett

Vic

Davis

JWP

Tadic

Pelle

Mane

I have no idea what would be best to have at RB.

I thought had Clyne been fit, 3 at the back would have been good as liverpool made arsenal look very poor playing that system.

arsenal simply wont change how they play

RB is a bit of a problem (from a clueless fan PoV)

one thing is for sure, arsenal will be dangerous going forward and will have lightening pace up front. which is even more annoying that clyne is out.

I think we will play 433 given who we have out...

Forster

Bertrand (at RB)

Fonte

Toby

Targett

Vic

Davis

JWP

Tadic

Pelle

Mane

Surely no-way Bertrand will be right back? Has he any history of playing there. I just can't see it. I reckon it'll be Alderweireld, with Yoshida and Fonte at Centre Back.