What is wrong with America

Red Alert

3 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

I am beginning to think that sad hypo did spend 4 days watching the trial. He must have spent the greater part of the evening typing on this thread. 

Bollox did he. He's a family man, and can't point to what was apparently said in evidence. I don't believe a word of it. 

Well I suppose us simpletons must bow to Hypos superior knowledge, it must be so wearing to be such a virtuoso among such intellectual pigmy's , constantly telling the king that he's naked . But , to retort, he had options other than to pull the trigger. He chose to shoot.

Edited by kyle04
wibble
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

You have not answered it. You've said that a closing speech mentioned him taking a hiding. That's a) not evidence or b) fear of death. 

People who watch trials hear the evidence and can explain it. 

People who don't just go round in circles like you. 

It's bizarre that you're suggesting I didn't watch the trial. Why would I lie? All I'll do is repeat the answer I've already given multiple times now in the hope that it will penetrate and you'll understand. In the opinion of the jury and non- biased people who watched the trial, it is entirely reasonable to view someone chasing you and advancing towards you as a threat. It is entirely reasonable to expect as the prosecution stated that had he not fired he would have received a severe-possibly life threatening beating and it is entirely possible that his gun could have been wrestled off him and used against him.

Regardless, it was for the prosecution to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he was guilty of murder and they never did that at any point of the trial. That's because he wasn't. 

8 minutes ago, egg said:

Bollox did he. He's a family man, and can't point to what was apparently said in evidence. I don't believe a word of it. 

I'm not soggy and just make things up on the fly for an argument on saintsweb. It has been a heavily publicised and interesting case in a similar vein to the OJ trial. Not sure why you find it so outlandish that it would be watched by a large number of people. 

4 minutes ago, kyle04 said:

Well I suppose us simpletons must bow to your superior knowledge, it must be so wearing to be such a virtuoso among such intellectual pigmy's , constantly telling the king that he's naked . But , to retort, he had options other than to pull the trigger. He chose to shoot.

Not "us simpletons" just you asserting without evidence that he's guilty of murder. The point was that in the split second he had to make a decision, he viewed someone advancing towards him and making movements towards his gun to be a threat and potentially a life threatening one. 

He obviously went there looking for action, it’s a sad reflection of the gun laws in the US that they allow this sort of thing to happen without punishment. The situation he ended up in meant what he did was probably technically self defence but we all know he went there to seek out the situation, that’s the fucked up thing.

As I said before, it’s like me taking a gun to a Saints v Pompey match, seeking out a confrontation with some Skates then shooting them in self defence because they started something.

Just now, aintforever said:

He obviously went there looking for action, it’s a sad reflection of the gun laws in the US that they allow this sort of thing to happen without punishment. The situation he ended up in meant what he did was probably technically self defence but we all know he went there to seek out the situation, that’s the fucked up thing.

As I said before, it’s like me taking a gun to a Saints v Pompey match, seeking out a confrontation with some Skates then shooting them in self defence because they started something.

No it isn’t 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Not "us simpletons" just you asserting without evidence that he's guilty of murder. The point was that in the split second he had to make a decision, he viewed someone advancing towards him and making movements towards his gun to be a threat and potentially a life threatening one. 

Again, why not point the gun or fire in the air? I'm sure most potential assailants would have at least backed off if not fled ? I think being a kid without training he may have panicked and fired, so he was not fit to carry such a weapon in the first place. Murder is not necessarily pre-meditated either, although US laws differ from ours. I think he was lucky to walk

5 minutes ago, aintforever said:

If he had gone looking for action then why was he performing first aid and putting out fires with an extinguisher and shouting friendly friendly friendly immediately prior to the shootings? Seems like an odd thing to do if you're intent on going out to kill others. I agree that American gun laws are ridiculous but not sure why you think you saints pompey analogy is in any way comparable. 

Edited by hypochondriac

1 minute ago, kyle04 said:

Again, why not point the gun or fire in the air? I'm sure most potential assailants would have at least backed off if not fled ? I think being a kid without training he may have panicked and fired, so he was not fit to carry such a weapon in the first place. Murder is not necessarily pre-meditated either, although US laws differ from ours. I think he was lucky to walk

Because it happened in a split second, he'd already been attacked and the aggressor was advancing at speed towards him. Perhaps with a bit more time to think or in a less pressurised situation he would have fired a warning shot but even if he was inexperienced and panicked which I don't think the evidence suggests happened here, that wouldn't be murder would it. I don't think the law should allow any young people to own a gun but that's stupid US gun laws for you. 

3 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Having a gun means there's a prospect of using it, but that's different to "looking for action". It's a fine ish line though. 

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If he had gone looking for action then why was he performing first aid and putting out fires with an extinguisher and shouting friendly friendly friendly immediately prior to the shootings? Seems like an odd thing to do if you're intent on going out to kill others. I agree though American gun laws are ridiculous. 

You don’t need an assault rifle to put out fires and do first aid, that was the guise he knew he had to use to travel there carrying the firearm IMO, and it worked. He knew the laws and he knew what would probably happen.

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, aintforever said:

You don’t need an assault rifle to put out fires and do first aid, that was the guise he knew he had to use to travel there carrying the firearm IMO, and it worked. He knew the laws and he knew what would probably happen.

I don't think there's any evidence to support your claim that he went out to kill and pretended to put out fires and be non threatening so that he could go and murder anyone. The testimony of eye witnesses and his actions before and after the shooting would not suggest that and its not something even the prosecution was seriously trying to argue during the trial. 

His interview after the trial ended where he states he supports black lives matter is also a curious thing for a murderer to say. You're creating a narrative that isn't supported by the evidence. He absolutely took a gun to a riot though and he's no hero like some people are trying to claim he's just not some secret white supremacist or scheming murderer like you're trying to paint him either. 

6 minutes ago, buctootim said:

I'm waiting for the next time Hypo claims to be middle of the road and non aligned politically. Its simple, pure coincidence that every utterance here is diehard Alt Right defending the indefensible.   

Yeah so many alt right opinions like opposing guns and applauding the arbery verdict. Definitely aligned with the hard right there just like the hard right rittenhouse jury. Get a grip. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, egg said:

Family man???? His kids must have great fun and interaction with him in those few moments of the day when he is not watching US trials or posting bollox on here.

A fine example of someone getting their  priorities in life wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't think there's any evidence to support your claim that he went out to kill and pretended to put out fires and be non threatening so that he could go and murder anyone. The testimony of eye witnesses and his actions before and after the shooting would not suggest that and its not something even the prosecution was seriously trying to argue during the trial. 

His interview after the trial ended where he states he supports black lives matter is also a curious thing for a murderer to say. You're creating a narrative that isn't supported by the evidence. He absolutely took a gun to a riot though and he's no hero like some people are trying to claim he's just not some secret white supremacist or scheming murderer like you're trying to paint him either. 

I watched part of the trial (I didn't have 4 days spare to waste like you) and from what I saw the prosecution were constantly trying to establish his reasoning for carrying the weapon. That is key IMO. Take an assault rifle to a protest, or anywhere where they is likely conflict, anywhere else in the world and it would be considered an aggressive act - the laws in the US are different but the act is the same.

He could have put fires out without carrying a weapon, or carried a concealed weapon that wouldn't make others feel threatened. To me (and I watched a lot of the footage) it looked like he was trying to get involved in what was going on more than help.

Edited by aintforever

Thing 

8 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I watched part of the trial (I didn't have 4 days spare to waste like you) and from what I saw the prosecution were constantly trying to establish his reasoning for carrying the weapon. That is key IMO. Take an assault rifle to a protest, or anywhere where they is likely conflict, anywhere else in the world and it would be considered an aggressive act - the laws in the US are different but the act is the same.

He could have put fires out without carrying a weapon, or carried a concealed weapon that wouldn't make others feel threatened. To me (and I watched a lot of the footage) it looked like he was trying to get involved in what was going on more than help.

Thing is Americans don't need a reason to carry weapons, it's their right in the constitution, we might think it's ridiculous, and I'm pretty sure matey thought he was all billy big bollocks carrying it, but that doesn't mean he broke the law.

One of the people who got killed was heard threatening to kill him and others on the night, the prosecution couldn't disprove this, so when he got matey on his own and went to grab his gun, what was he supposed to think?

The other matey was attacking him with a skateboard, sounds laughable but if someone attacked me with a skateboard and I fell to the ground I'd be worried for my life

The 3rd was pointing a gun at him.

Look at these 2 below, at a protest which could turn violent and a high likelihood of conflict and they have high powered rifles, with sniper scopes on top, well within their rights to do so, no laws broken and if anyone attacked them, then more fool them.  Do I think that's correct, no, it's bloody ridiculous and thank god we don't allow such things over here.  These 2 could easily end up in the same situation as Rittenhouse, wonder what the celebs and twitter would be saying then, I suspect it would be something along the lines of far right scum deserved it

https://www.amedpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Armed-Wisconsin-father-daughter-say-theyre-protecting-Rittenhouse-protesters-1024x576.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

Thing 

Thing is Americans don't need a reason to carry weapons, it's their right in the constitution, we might think it's ridiculous, and I'm pretty sure matey thought he was all billy big bollocks carrying it, but that doesn't mean he broke the law.

One of the people who got killed was heard threatening to kill him and others on the night, the prosecution couldn't disprove this, so when he got matey on his own and went to grab his gun, what was he supposed to think?

The other matey was attacking him with a skateboard, sounds laughable but if someone attacked me with a skateboard and I fell to the ground I'd be worried for my life

Look at these 2 below, at a protest which could turn violent and a high likelihood of conflict and they have high powered rifles, with sniper scopes on top, well within their rights to do so, no laws broken and if anyone attacked them, then more fool them.  Do I think that's correct, no, it's bloody ridiculous and thank god we don't allow such things over here.  These 2 could easily end up in the same situation as Rittenhouse, wonder what the celebs and twitter would be saying then, I suspect it would be something along the lines of far right scum deserved it

https://www.amedpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Armed-Wisconsin-father-daughter-say-theyre-protecting-Rittenhouse-protesters-1024x576.jpg

I don't disagree with any of that. I doubt the jury could have delivered any other verdict as it's impossible to know what was going on inside the killer's head let alone prove it. I stand by my opinion that he was probably looking for some action though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

I don't disagree with any of that. I doubt the jury could have delivered any other verdict as it's impossible to know what was going on inside the killer's head let alone prove it. I stand by my opinion that he was probably looking for some action though. 

And the little cunt is revelling in being seen as a hero to the American right, hence Trump’s invite. Right to bear arms baby! USA USA USA.

Edited by whelk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Millbrook Saint said:

Thing 

Good Post and well said. 

1 hour ago, Millbrook Saint said:

Thing 

My monies on they wouldn't be found not guilty and have an audience with the 45 president the next day.

Hard to believe, but at the same time completely unsurprising that a double murderer is now the poster boy for the Republican party. The only slight silver lining is that the little shit will be looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life. America is so fucked up on so many levels.

• Like 1

Three killed and eight wounded in Michigan High School shooting. Disgruntled student apparently.

Fox News, US Rifle organisation/Trump etc will be suggesting all teachers, pupils, caretakers etc should be armed with maximum power artillery to deal with mentally disturbed 'shooters'!!

8 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Three killed and eight wounded in Michigan High School shooting. Disgruntled student apparently.

Fox News, US Rifle organisation/Trump etc will be suggesting all teachers, pupils, caretakers etc should be armed with maximum power artillery to deal with mentally disturbed 'shooters'!!

Over 130 shooting incidents in US schools so far this year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

23 hours ago, buctootim said:

Can’t help thinking that the days of left and right are coming to an end and we’re going back to a mediaeval era of a belief camp against facts and science camp   

Although TBF you could apply that to the other side of the political divide in other areas. 

What is clear to me is that the ideological camps have circled the wagons around certain things being the only correct position and debate has been reduced. Black and white thinking is not useful for actual problem solving where reality has to play some part. Take for example racism, in some circles it seems that is more important to be anti racist than to make the lives of people better with practical change. But the other take is that it does not exist, in fact they benefit and also they deserve whatever they get while holding these three paradoxical views means not looking at yourself. Not every time something negative happen is an instance of repression, but also somethings are clearly unfair to different groups be they structural or personal.

I hold freedom of expression to be important, because without it bad ideas cannot be challenged, but I also know that studies show that words can have a physiological effect on people which effects their brain structures and physical health. And I do not know how to reconcile these two points. The only good option is to appeal to peoples better nature, but we know how that goes. Communities have rules because free for alls do not work. If football had no rules it would not be worth watching, but which ones is always the hard part. We gain something by being part of a group, but we must also surrender some individual choice to do so, it is that tension which is really at play in America which has for a long time valued individuality more than being a group compared to other countries. Americas period of dominance of the world is coming to an end and the question becomes does the country double down to prolong or head in different direction to be more similar to its contemporaries. As an example of this trend the religious see what that looks like in western Europe and for obvious reasons do not want to go down that route while the numbers of the apathetic steadily grow in response. 

The Republican Party needs to be put to sleep post Trump - country club centre right has become David Icke and Piers Corbyn. When leading politicians come out with this sort of misinformation, a country is in huge trouble. 70m plus boneheads voted for these people. Let that sink in for a moment https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2021/12/04/marjorie-taylor-greene-compares-covid-19-to-cancer-heres-the-twittersphere-response/?sh=425fd0434c30

1 hour ago, saint1977 said:

The Republican Party needs to be put to sleep post Trump - country club centre right has become David Icke and Piers Corbyn. When leading politicians come out with this sort of misinformation, a country is in huge trouble. 70m plus boneheads voted for these people. Let that sink in for a moment https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2021/12/04/marjorie-taylor-greene-compares-covid-19-to-cancer-heres-the-twittersphere-response/?sh=425fd0434c30

It certainly seems a better place now (said no one, ever)

"What is wrong with America"?. A helluva lot in my opinion. Thank goodness for example that we don't have a similar gun culture.

However lets not get too smug. Our own country is not much better. Has Biden ever rambled on about a cartoon pig when addressing business leaders?  Some Americans may not want to interfere with the "breathing system that God gave them" but we have a substantial part of the governing party defying scientific opinion by refusing to wear masks. We have a leader of the House of Commons who thinks that you cannot catch Covid from frienda.

America may well be a basket case but we are not a million miles away.

The Founding Fathers did not intend that 'The right to bear arms' in the constitution meant that everyone had the right to keep guns at home.  They never expected the US to have a standing army and the right to bear arms meant that they could form militias if attacked.  Unfortunately the Constitution is treated as if it was holy writ, even if the original intent has been lost in the mists of time.  And the western movie culture has reinforced the impression that they have to have guns to get their way.  All nations tell stories about themselves to provide an identity - it's just that the US ones involve everyone having guns.

The genie is well and truly out of the bag.  There are over a billion guns in the US - which averages out at about three guns for every person.  Which means that some homes must have small arsenals.

To our way of thinking it is completely crazy - and most other cultures would think the same.  Its just that too a sizeable proportion of the US it's normal

15 minutes ago, kwsaint said:

The Founding Fathers did not intend that 'The right to bear arms' in the constitution meant that everyone had the right to keep guns at home.  They never expected the US to have a standing army and the right to bear arms meant that they could form militias if attacked.  Unfortunately the Constitution is treated as if it was holy writ, even if the original intent has been lost in the mists of time.  And the western movie culture has reinforced the impression that they have to have guns to get their way.  All nations tell stories about themselves to provide an identity - it's just that the US ones involve everyone having guns.

The genie is well and truly out of the bag.  There are over a billion guns in the US - which averages out at about three guns for every person.  Which means that some homes must have small arsenals.

To our way of thinking it is completely crazy - and most other cultures would think the same.  Its just that too a sizeable proportion of the US it's normal

Yet what they are defending is the Second Amendment.

3 hours ago, rallyboy said:

Is it wise for Santa to make unlawful entry and then creep around their house in the night?...

In Sweden the Christmas Goat comes and brings presents for the good kids and abducts the naughty ones. That kind of swift justice is what we need :)