What is wrong with America

Red Alert

6 minutes ago, buctootim said:

In Sweden the Christmas Goat comes and brings presents for the good kids and abducts the naughty ones. That kind of swift justice is what we need :)    

Stop it. I was terrified by the child catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Healing takes time!

Deer season here was last week, Rudolph should be alright. Shooting deer out of season or not having a tag or being an out of state hunter when it is in state only season, or using the wrong weapon are all taken really seriously. In Iowa we had DNR check points at the border stopping vehicles checking that people were not transporting deer out of state in the wrong week. If only the shooting of people at the wrong time was taken as seriously as that of deer. My previous boss said that 90% of the proteins they ate was deer, she was a bow hunter. there is also muzzle loader season.

To be fair I am not really a fan of deer, had a couple close calls while driving, and if you have ever seen what a deer will do to a car it is not pretty. Even worse, they have the saying "Don't veer for deer" because as much damage as a buck will do to your car, swerving off a road to avoid a deer is a common cause of fatal accidents.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60312237

"A company that made a rifle used in one of the deadliest school shootings in the US has settled with the families of victims.

The settlement from Remington Arms comes in response to a lawsuit brought by the families of nine of 26 victims of the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre.

The case marks the first time a gunmaker has been held accountable for a mass shooting.

The families say Remington was negligent.

The details of the settlement have not yet been disclosed, although the families are expected to comment further at a news conference later Tuesday.

Last July, Remington - the oldest gun-maker in the US - offered $33 million to (£24m) to each of the families, falling far short of the $225m they'd sought in court.

During court hearings in February, attorneys for the family said that total punitive claims could possibly exceed $1bn.

In their lawsuit, the families of five adults and four children who died in the shooting argued that the company marketed its weapons to high-risk and potentially unstable individuals such as Sandy Hook gunman Adam Lanza."

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, whelk said:

Bless

88CFD2D3-D6B5-4D6B-83AF-1181E20BA3F5.jpeg

The Republican dream in one photo. White Christians with guns and excessive breeding.

52 minutes ago, whelk said:

Surprised no comment about the Buffalo shooting. How do get so fucked up and full of hate at 18?

Fucked up country indeed

Oh, that bit's easy. Extremist nutters on either side of the political Grand Canyon.

12 hours ago, whelk said:

Surprised no comment about the Buffalo shooting. How do get so fucked up and full of hate at 18?

Fucked up country indeed

I saw some bits of it on Reddit before the threads got deleted as the guy live streamed the attack on Twitch for a couple of minutes before Twitch pulled the account. They were not nice viewing. I know the UK gets the occasional attack but in the US it seems to be all the time - and in random places too.

6 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

14 primary school children and their teacher killed in a Texas school shooting. It's becoming such a 'normal' event that the shock value is no longer there.

That country is becoming more fucked by the day. Although not just the US. 18 year old shooter again

1 hour ago, whelk said:

A tweet from the Texas Governor. Sure he will offer thoughts and prayers though 

What the actual fuck? It's just impossible to get my head around just how fucked up America is. Serious third world style fucked up. How is it possible that a modern democracy still adheres so vehemently to a scrap of paper produced 250 years ago? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, whelk said:

A tweet from the Texas Governor. Sure he will offer thoughts and prayers though 

That tweet is over 6 years old.  It clearly had the rallying effect that the Governor asked for as Texas had by far the largest number of guns registered last year :

https://www.statista.com/statistics/215655/number-of-registered-weapons-in-the-us-by-state/

Give idiots guns and they'll use them....

7 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

What the actual fuck? It's just impossible to get my head around just how fucked up America is. Serious third world style fucked up. How is it possible that a modern democracy still adheres so vehemently to a scrap of paper produced 250 years ago? 

You cannot change the Second Amendment.

Of course you can, the clue is in the name ! The Eighteenth Amendment was repealed.

Edited by badgerx16

49 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Apparently the shooter walked into a shop on his 18th birthday and bought two assault rifles. Mental. 

Thankfully they have to wait a further 3 years before they can buy alcohol 

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Is there anyone that thinks the right to bear arms is a good idea?

The Second Amendment is an historical artefact from the Revolutionary War, and has had no relevance since 1903, when the National Guard was fully established.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

That tweet is over 6 years old.  It clearly had the rallying effect that the Governor asked for as Texas had by far the largest number of guns registered last year :

https://www.statista.com/statistics/215655/number-of-registered-weapons-in-the-us-by-state/

Give idiots guns and they'll use them....

Interesting that Texas has over 1 million licensed guns whereas Alaska, which in the many remote areas has genuine threats to life from antsy wildlife like Grizzly and polar bears, moose and bison etc has only 28,000   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buctootim said:

Interesting that Texas has over 1 million licensed guns whereas Alaska, which in the many remote areas has genuine threats to life from antsy wildlife like Grizzly and polar bears, moose and bison etc has only 28,000   

Both states are every 1 in 28 people have a gun. Alaska have grizzlies yes, but Texas has Ted Cruz. I'd want a gun if my elected senator was Ted Cruz. A lot of crazy cunts in Texas.

9 minutes ago, LVSaint said:

Both states are every 1 in 28 people have a gun. Alaska have grizzlies yes, but Texas has Ted Cruz. I'd want a gun if my elected senator was Ted Cruz. A lot of crazy cunts in Texas.

tbh I thought it would be way more than 1 in 28 in both states. 

Edited by buctootim

9 minutes ago, LVSaint said:

1 in 28 seems very low.

Statista has it at 42% of 'households' own a gun

Wamu suggests 22% of Americans own a gun

Perhaps it's closer to 1 in 5?

4 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Yep I cant believe those statista figures. I reckon it must be 'number of weapons registered in 2021' rather than 'number of registered weapons in 2021'  

Edited by buctootim

1 minute ago, buctootim said:

Yep I cant believe those statista figures. They look more like number of new guns sold in a year or something similar. 

I'd assumed that's what the original one was saying - it mentioned number of guns registered by state in 2021....  Although how they reach that figure is a mystery given that most states don't require guns to be registered by law 🤷‍♀️

My figures are off aren't they. Fucking nuts isn't it.

anyway.....let's see if we can get that assault weapon ban and high capacity magazine ban re-enacted again. It's a no brainer, but then brains are in short supply in these parts.

• Like 1

Mightier Than The Pen

Making The World A Bitter Place

Study Links Graffiti to Small Penis Size

New York, June 15 (AP) – Researchers at Columbia University have determined that the propensity to engage in graffiti vandalism has an inversely proportionate relationship to penis size, according to an article in the August Issue of the Journal Science.

In a study titled The Scale of Male Endowment as Reflected by Vandalism, the study authors note a very close correlation between a smaller-than-average penis and multiple instances of crude or repetitive graffiti. Reviewing arrest records and anatomical information for individuals convicted of graffiti vandalism in the New York City area for the years 2007-2012, the researchers found that the median length of male members of those individuals was 40% shorter than the median length of the general population.

Even more striking, said Dr. Sy Zmatters, the lead author and head of Columbia University’s graduate-level Anthropology Department, the extent to which any individual engaged in graffiti vandalism directly reflected relative penis length. “We found that the more prolific taggers were even more poorly endowed than those who had been convicted of only one or two vandalism violations,” he noted.

N. Largement, a Princeton University anthropologist not involved in the study, praised the report as an important piece of information in piecing together the complex web of human psychology as it has developed over the ages. “We knew, anecdotally, that certain behaviors represent a compensation mechanism for those males insecure in the measurements of their manhood,” he explained, handling a scale model of a monster truck on his office desk. “But it has never before been so clearly quantified.”

A further nuance of the study involves different types of graffiti. Vandals who prolifically sprayed only words, gang signs, or other relatively crude symbols constituted the most poorly endowed subgroup of the population under observation, while those whose graffiti involved artistic expression, political criticism, or a message of some social value fell more closely in line with the national average.

Largement noted that the study helps complete a much larger pattern of what he called manhood deficiency compensatory behavior, which had previously been described for much smaller segments of the population. For example, assault rifle ownership has been strongly correlated with a smaller penis, as has the frequent or highly visible use of muscle cars. Sports fans who paint their bodies and engage in rowdy displays of devotion have been similarly shown to have shorter than average penises; these behaviors has been explained as an attempt to mask their insecurity over penis size by associating themselves with a larger, more powerful, and overtly masculine enterprise.