What is wrong with America

Red Alert

"The case against the EPA was brought by West Virginia on behalf of 18 other mostly Republican-led states and some of the nation's largest coal companies."

A future of using your easily available guns, thanks to the NRA, to fight off the hordes, thanks to anti abortion legislation, so that you can keep breathing from your oxygen bottle in the toxic, dying atmosphere, thanks to the coal companies. 🙂

2 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

"The case against the EPA was brought by West Virginia on behalf of 18 other mostly Republican-led states and some of the nation's largest coal companies."

A future of using your easily available guns, thanks to the NRA, to fight off the hordes, thanks to anti abortion legislation, so that you can keep breathing from your oxygen bottle in the toxic, dying atmosphere, thanks to the coal companies. 🙂

The Supreme Court seems set on a path to undermine as many Federal Agencies as possible by ruling that if the National Government had intended to give such agencies the ability to directly enforce legislation over States, it would have been explicitly written into the Law enabling the Agency. Without such explicit direction, Agencies such as the EPA are being told they have no power of enforcement if a State Legislature decides to ignore it.

I've just got back from a week in the US at a conference. Spent a lot of time with a very cool american guy from LA. He said the country is fucked up, a total mess with idiots in power with control by right wing and extremist religion influcing politics. He also told us that a lot of people in states like Texas are strange and believe the election was a fraud and stolen from Trump. One our free day after the conference finished we spent it by the hotel pool where we got chatting to two seperate groups of texans at different times completely unassociated with each other. All of them insisted that the election was a fraud and stolen by Biden, they cant prove it but have seen a documentry on it. 🤣:facepalm:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I've just got back from a week in the US at a conference. Spent a lot of time with a very cool american guy from LA. He said the country is fucked up, a total mess with idiots in power with control by right wing and extremist religion influcing politics. He also told us that a lot of people in states like Texas are strange and believe the election was a fraud and stolen from Trump. One our free day after the conference finished we spent it by the hotel pool where we got chatting to two seperate groups of texans at different times completely unassociated with each other. All of them insisted that the election was a fraud and stolen by Biden, they cant prove it but have seen a documentry on it. 🤣:facepalm:

Yeah, Gabriel Sterling came out with some interesting stuff at the recent hearings.  He's republican deputy head of state for Georgia and had to investigate all the claims of voter fraud.  He said that in conversations with fellow republicans, friends and family, he could counter and disprove every claim made and at the end they would say that they just knew in their hearts that the election had been stolen.  How do you argue against that?  It's impossible when people simply refuse to listen to facts and rely on an emotional gut feeling that has nothing to back it up except empty rhetoric.

On a side note I was in Florida in May for a couple of weeks and pretty much everyone I spoke with was well balanced and pretty clued up on events both within the US and outside it.  I know we all have this idea that Americans are largely clueless but in my experience the majority are pretty knowledgeable, unfailingly polite and well grounded.  Obviously not all of them but I love America, I think it's amazing, and it's a shame that the obvious nutters tend to give us a skewed idea of what it's like out there.

• Like 2

I know we all have this idea that Americans are largely clueless but in my experience the majority are pretty knowledgeable, unfailingly polite and well grounded.  Obviously not all of them but I love America, I think it's amazing, and it's a shame that the obvious nutters tend to give us a skewed idea of what it's like out there.

Gonna have to very much disagree with this. In a previous job I visited various parts of the USA over a ten year period, i visited over 50 times and went to over 30 states in total. In general, yes, the people were very polite, but overall their knowledge of anything outside their own country was shockingly poor.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I know we all have this idea that Americans are largely clueless but in my experience the majority are pretty knowledgeable, unfailingly polite and well grounded.  Obviously not all of them but I love America, I think it's amazing, and it's a shame that the obvious nutters tend to give us a skewed idea of what it's like out there.

Gonna have to very much disagree with this. In a previous job I visited various parts of the USA over a ten year period, i visited over 50 times and went to over 30 states in total. In general, yes, the people were very polite, but overall their knowledge of anything outside their own country was shockingly poor.

Yeah, I guess it's luck of the draw but majority have been well aware of things outside the US.  I've not travelled to quite so many states but done a fair number.  I'm also pretty fucking clever and I guess some of that is bound to rub off a bit 😎

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

I can well believe this but this sort of nonsense is not new. Back in 2014 I had my ear chewed off in California by some deluded Yank who insisted that Obama was not an American.

Fox has an awful lot to answer for.

• Like 4

Police in Akron shot a man dead - he was hit more than 60 times. He was not armed when he was shot, but he was thought to have fired at them using a gun that was found in his car.

Overkill ?

Edited by badgerx16

33 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Police in Akron shot a man dead - he was hit more than 60 times. He was not armed when he was shot, but he was thought to have fired at them using a gun that was found in his car.

Overkill ?

What did they use on him, a Gatling gun?

43 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Overkill ?

“ She said he shouldn’t be allowed to get on the train, and I think the words she used was ‘at all costs’,” said officer Slug Deadly, referring to orders from Akron's new chief of police, Cressida Dick. 🙂

I have lived in the US for 18 years now, and what I have noticed is that over this time people of different political persuasions have separated and you no longer will find people who disagree socializing with each other. Rural areas that would elect some democrats to county boards no longer have these people it is purely republican. Democratic cities the reverse. I have heard a lot of different people from various parts tell me the election was stolen, citing all sorts of stupid reasons and evidence. Democrats have given up trying to represent all Americans, they have retreated to the urban areas. A Christian nationalist agenda is clearly being pushed by some and it having an impact rational arguments tends not to work so well against dogma.

• Like 1

Kathleen Parker writing in the Washington Post about the man who killed seven and wounded more than two dozen in Highland Park, Illinois:

"Crimo attempted suicide in April 2019. Then, in September of the same year, he announced to his family that he wanted “to kill everyone.” Police visited the Highland Park home where Crimo lived with his father and uncle, and confiscated 16 knives, a dagger and a sword. Because no complaints were filed, there was no further investigation. Still, if these incidents didn’t raise red flags, then the world must be color blind. Three months later, Robert Crimo began buying guns with his father’s signed approval. The real quiet kid passed four federal background checks, purchasing five guns — including the one used at the parade."

6 minutes ago, Hamilton Saint said:

Kathleen Parker writing in the Washington Post about the man who killed seven and wounded more than two dozen in Highland Park, Illinois:

"Crimo attempted suicide in April 2019. Then, in September of the same year, he announced to his family that he wanted “to kill everyone.” Police visited the Highland Park home where Crimo lived with his father and uncle, and confiscated 16 knives, a dagger and a sword. Because no complaints were filed, there was no further investigation. Still, if these incidents didn’t raise red flags, then the world must be color blind. Three months later, Robert Crimo began buying guns with his father’s signed approval. The real quiet kid passed four federal background checks, purchasing five guns — including the one used at the parade."

Bloody hell, no one with a surname of Crimo should be allowed to buy guns. Nominative determinism at it’s unfortunate finest.

Edited by revolution saint

On 14/07/2022 at 06:26, AlexLaw76 said:

It's either desperate that you think the President of the US keeps his own schedule or a desperate attempt to twist. Either way, desperate.   

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

Back to shootings and the law!

In 2017 a shooter barricaded himnself in a Las Vegas hotel room, and using a device to convert his assault rifle to fully automatic over the course of 1 hour killed 60 people and wounded 417 more. 

Lawsuits against the manufactuers of the assault rifles were thrown out 

Lawsuits against the makers of the anti personnel bullets (hardpoints and dumdum) were thrown out 

Lawsuits against the police who didnt stop him for an hour were thrown out 

Lawsuits against the maker of bumpstop device to convert to automatic fire wwerre thrown out 

The hotel, despite its staff trying to stop the shooter, getting shot themselves and calling the police, had to pay $800 million .  

Bizarre. 

Edited by buctootim
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Mystic Force said:

Let's face it Bidens not a great President, but he his still better than an additional 4 years of a man who like Boris only wanted the job title not the job.

I don’t want great presidents. Boring is my ideal quality in a leader.

1 hour ago, buctootim said:

Back to shootings and the law!

In 2017 a shooter barricaded himnself in a Las Vegas hotel room, and using a device to convert his assault rifle to fully automatic over the course of 1 hour killed 60 people and wounded 417 more. 

Lawsuits against the manufactuers of the assault rifles were thrown out 

Lawsuits against the makers of the anti personnel bullets (hardpoints and dumdum) were thrown out 

Lawsuits against the police who didnt stop him for an hour were thrown out 

Lawsuits against the maker of bumpstop device to convert to automatic fire wwerre thrown out 

The hotel, despite its staff trying to stop the shooter, getting shot themselves and calling the police, had to pay $800 million .  

Bizarre. 

What is equally bizarre is that the hotel initially sued the victims, in an attempt to forestall a lawsuit against MGM Hotels.

That is what is often wrong the people who get sued are normally the ones with money rather than the most responsible, and this goes for most things. A look through various cases will see this come up.

On another note I saw a story today of a 9 year old who was shot and killed in the car she was sitting in Houston, Texas. The shooter had just been robbed at a cash machine by a man with a gun and thought the robber had jumped into the truck so opened fire. Well he had not and today charges against him were dismissed by a grand jury. So here we have a man who decided he could be judge, jury and executioner but condemned an innocent victim instead while himself no longer in danger.

An armed citizenry is the reason the police feel a need to, and excused from, shooting people. If anyone could have a gun anyone could be justifiably killed at anytime, without sanctio, or recourse. And if you are dead what good will justice do you. Before cameras became ubiquitous there would not even have been any controvening evidence that could refute law enforcement statements.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Alex, what exactly is the point you are trying to make with these incessant twitter quotes ? Who are you trying to influence ?

Or is this the sum of your life ?

Do you actually click on them?!