Newcastle 1 - 2 Southampton Post Match euphoria

SNSUN

MotM vs Newcastle United (Away 2014/15)  

477 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Newcastle United (Away 2014/15)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Clyne
    • Gardos
    • Fonte
    • Davis, S
    • Reed
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Tadic
    • Elia
    • Pelle
    • Cork
    • Long
    • Targett

Just seen it again on MOTD. It's laughable that the pundits are all claiming it was a stonewall penalty, yet they completely ignore there was a blatant handball by a Newcastle player just before it. Justice was done IMO.

Ah, it wasn't just me thinking I saw that then...

Two injury ravaged sides. A deserved win. Ok maybe lucky with the penalty. Actually definitely lucky with the penalty. But luckier still that they have an inexperienced caretaker manager and we have Koeman. No contest. Excellent substitutions, again. Would have been tougher had Pardew been there.

Two injury ravaged sides. A deserved win. Ok maybe lucky with the penalty. Actually definitely lucky with the penalty. But luckier still that they have an inexperienced caretaker manager and we have Koeman. No contest. Excellent substitutions, again. Would have been tougher had Pardew been there.

It was a penalty , but about 2 or 3 second before, Newcastle did the same.... no way the ref could have given it, having not given the first offence.

What a fantastic week on the road. Chuffed to bits. As for today in particular, Elia deserved MoM but Reed was fantastic. How good is he going to be with a bit more experience and Weetabix? Long way to go this season yet and it's a punishing pace in the race for a CL spot, but we are bang there, and a few more wins and the panic will really set in amongst the Billy Big Balls sides.

Another magnificent win, bit lucky with both goals, and got lucky with the penalty not being given against us at the end but it evens itself out really, swear Everton away last season we had two like that that didn't get called either, and one up at Norwich, so evens itself out.

Another magnificent win, bit lucky with both goals, and got lucky with the penalty not being given against us at the end but it evens itself out really, swear Everton away last season we had two like that that didn't get called either, and one up at Norwich, so evens itself out.

And I seem to remember Peter Crouch getting tripped and falling like Bambi against Newcastle the season we got relegated. We didn't get a penalty but if we'd got points from that game the whole of recent history might have been quite different.

the way things are going for us now if they'd been given the penalty forster would have saved it anyway!!

the way things are going for us now if they'd been given the penalty forster would have saved it anyway!!

Just finished watching the replay.

Fantastic celebration by El jero the Mexican Dutch man. Can tell the boy is grateful that koeman gave him a chance. Love the passion. Not just from him but from the whole club. Reed was fantastic , pelle was very good too, everyone did their job. Fonte has been unbelievable this season now Lovren isn't around to hold him back. Forget anyone else, he is the next person on the banner.

Very proud of the boys. Fantastic win.

Oh and agree. It was handball by Fonte, but no way the ref could give it after not giving the one a few seconds before.

Am I correct in thinking that Gardos has played 8, won 7, drawn 1 ?

Depends how one defines "played", I guess. Featured in 13 Saints games (and 1 international) - won 10, lost 1, drawn 2 for Saints. A couple of these appearances have been as a sub in the last couple of minutes.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=56827

The penalty discussion on MOTD was another example of the so-called experts appearing not to understand the Laws of the Game. To be an offence the laws are quite clear - that the player must handle the ball deliberately. There is guidance to referees as to how to make that judgement which includes the requirement to take various factors into consideration but this does not alter the fact that handling the ball "involves a deliberate act of the player". Fonte instinctively put his arms up to protect his face from a ball struck directly towards him. For the referee to decide that when the ball struck his hand or arm that was not a deliberate act was a conclusion he was perfectly entitled to come to. The ball hitting a hand is NOT an automatic penalty.

Edited by Professor

Ah, it wasn't just me thinking I saw that then...

I've seen these given, but my personal opinion is that they shouldn't as it isn't deliberate handball. It ball to hand, as opposed to deliberate hand to ball, but it does have to be consistent.

As you say they was a ball to hand just before that that "no one" has picked up on.

Winning this game was as RK said a better win than the utd one as it was our third game in 6 days

and we were tired and our squad is depleted but the lads who replaced those who were out were superb...credit to all the team ,coaching staff

A special mention must got to those who have traveled to all the last 3 games, outstanding effort :adore:

As far as the NOT GIVEN penalty, who gives a toss really, plenty of times we will had have be

denied a spot kick and all the moaning does not change that...

The fact is that if the Ref does not give it then it is not a penalty even if anyone says it is or proves it is afterwards,

all fans have to live with it...

COYS

And I seem to remember Peter Crouch getting tripped and falling like Bambi against Newcastle the season we got relegated. We didn't get a penalty but if we'd got points from that game the whole of recent history might have been quite different.

There was also that wonder goal they scored at St James when they won 4-2 (can't remember if it was last season or the season before) which shouldn't have stood because the player was clearly a good few yards offside when the ball was played up to him.

What goes around comes around.

Ronald Koeman always says he knows his best team and likes to keep the same line-up (something that's been impossible in the last few weeks.)

I think we'd all say that Toby, Morgan and Victor are normally automatic choices, and so to come up with 3 away wins in a week without them speaks volumes for the "depth of the squad " we are always discussing.

There is probably still room for " another Pelle" ..maybe that's a fit JayRod?) ...and a top class keeper (just in case), but Koeman must be seeing success beyond his wildest dreams.

Can't understand this thinking, if we're positive we don't worry about the teams behind us and only think about catching the teams in front.

All very well thinking positive but IMO City and Chelsea are battling in a league of their own. Them taking 3 points off Arsenal gives our top 4 hopes a boost. Yes we should be concentrating on our own games, and of we deserve top 4 we'll get there under our own steam, but it doesn't hurt having our top 4 rivals losing valuable points.

Played well.

Reed great again, keeping Cork out of the side on merit.

Only question for me was Forster on the goal, should have been out quicker and have a better staring position.

It was goalie's ball all the way. Gardos was the only one you could possibly question because he ought to have read the situation better and have had more confidence in Forster, but this is down to needing more playing time together.

Fairplay mate.

Haha, thanks... I think it's fair to say I should have said #itshappeningbutnotasIexpected

On a serious note, absolutely made up. If I had the time in the day to write a full retraction and apology, I would. I don't. It appears I have been very, very wrong... and I've never been happier to be so wrong. :D

Haha, thanks... I think it's fair to say I should have said #itshappeningbutnotasIexpected

On a serious note, absolutely made up. If I had the time in the day to write a full retraction and apology, I would. I don't. It appears I have been very, very wrong... and I've never been happier to be so wrong. :D

:toppa:

The penalty discussion on MOTD was another example of the so-called experts appearing not to understand the Laws of the Game. To be an offence the laws are quite clear - that the player must handle the ball deliberately. There is guidance to referees as to how to make that judgement which includes the requirement to take various factors into consideration but this does not alter the fact that handling the ball "involves a deliberate act of the player". Fonte instinctively put his arms up to protect his face from a ball struck directly towards him. For the referee to decide that when the ball struck his hand or arm that was not a deliberate act was a conclusion he was perfectly entitled to come to. The ball hitting a hand is NOT an automatic penalty.

Sadly though teams appeal for them all the time and many are given.

Think you've done your penance now CL. Upwards and onwards.

Quality passion and sweary behaviour as ever from the Geordie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love this guys passion and he clearly knows his stuff.

However, just as the argument on here goes that if the handball Fonte "got away with" had gone against us from a team we were playing, we would be livid, methinks he doth protest too much.

All very well to analyse it with the benefit of slow motion-replays and decide on the basis of the position of the arm, but it is that technology which actually gives the false outcome. The referee has to make a snap judgment based on his perception of what he say in real time. Graham Poll writes in the Mail that the failure to award a penalty was a travesty and he shows a picture of Fonte's arm raised to prove his point. But the photo also clearly shows that the ball hit Fonte on the chin and that he was positioned pretty close to the player when the ball was struck. What a photo or a slow-mo replay doesn't show, is the speed and weight of the shot in real time. That shows that the shot was hit with real venom, was headed towards Fonte's face and that it would be the most natural reaction in the world for him to have put his arm up to protect himself. I would love to see the Geordie fan or Poll have a ball kicked towards their face whilst they try and stand with their arms down by their sides.

A friend of mine who is a referee says it was a penalty. Fonte's arm was not in that position when the ball was kicked so his interpretation was that it was hand to ball not the other way. We were lucky to get away with it but swings and roundabouts.

But your friend wasn't refereeing this game, so his opinion doesn't count any more than yours or mine. In my opinion it was definitely ball to hand and I don't consider that Fonte was charging down the ball but some referees would have given it.

What I don't like to see is the endless discussion about these type of incidents with all the endless replays and slow-notion views. It wasn't given, life goes on. Some pundits are far too ready to hand out penalties right, left and centre. A penalty is a severe sanction and should be awarded sparingly. Perhaps teams should concentrate more on trying to score through normal means and TV could cut out all the over-analysis.

But your friend wasn't refereeing this game, so his opinion doesn't count any more than yours or mine. In my opinion it was definitely ball to hand and I don't consider that Fonte was charging down the ball but some referees would have given it.

What I don't like to see is the endless discussion about these type of incidents with all the endless replays and slow-notion views. It wasn't given, life goes on. Some pundits are far too ready to hand out penalties right, left and centre. A penalty is a severe sanction and should be awarded sparingly. Perhaps teams should concentrate more on trying to score through normal means and TV could cut out all the over-analysis.

Ok I will keep my mouth shut in future. Geez!!!

The media focus on 'incidents' drives me bonkers too. Occasionally you'll get an interesting debate about interpretation of the rules but what's added when Robbie Savage yelps 'I don't care what anyone says, that is a penalty' instead of analysing the football?

Surely you could argue though that if Fonte was instinctively lifting his hand to protect his face then that is a deliberate attempt to handle the ball, albeit only to deflect it away?

Sometimes they're given, sometimes they ain't. Maybe they should make it more like hockey where if it hits your foot it's a foul whatever. Would mean more pens but would eliminate that grey area and make players keep their hands down!