• Schneiderlin
    • Davis, S
    • Mané
    • Tadic
    • Long
    • Đuričić
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Pellè

Thoroughly deserved point. Decent noise in the away end in the first half, but we all got a bit nervy in the 2nd. Couldn't quite get the top and lower tier in synch though!

I've never seen so many half an half scarves at a game. Idiots the lot of them

Having said all that, if we play like that for the rest of the season, I don't care how many opportunities we miss, we'll still come 3rd, because we'd win at least 9 matches.

I am now looking forward to watching the match later even more!

4-4-2 worked well - definitely allowed us to get the best from Mane. Wasn't SD's best position but don't think we could have afforded two wingers on the pitch at the same time.

That is Davis beat position without doubt that he played today.

That is Davis beat position without doubt that he played today.

Davis had a relatively poor game today, better defensively than offensively. Uncharacteristically gave the ball away. And played much more narrow than in a conventional 4-4-2. Saying that, Clyne had tons of space by himself down our right and looked a threat whenever he took a player on. The DMs could have released him a bit earlier; our play was a bit lopsided down the left.

Edited by shurlock

Made a good point on the radio that (the pundits speaking) really fancy us to push hard till the end of the season for a top 4 (probably missing out) as the others all play each other where as 6 of our last 9 are against the bottom clubs. Not that they are easy but our form against those is better than the clubs around us

Overall brilliant game, could have won and also could have lost.

FF was great at the shot stopping but I qiestioned if he should have come out for the goal. It was floated in rather than powered in.

I said I'd take a point before the game and even afterwards I stand by it.

Really wish Tadic would shoot more. And his penalties are ****!

Most I've enjoyed Saints match for as long as I can remember. The trick will be to play that we'll against Burnley. Think I heard Mourinho saying in so many words that it wasn't a penalty. Looked one from down the other end. Hiw did it look on TV?

Most I've enjoyed Saints match for as long as I can remember. The trick will be to play that we'll against Burnley. Think I heard Mourinho saying in so many words that it wasn't a penalty. Looked one from down the other end. Hiw did it look on TV?

Was a penalty. For sure. Their player did brush the ball but he fouled mane and another player was pushing mane over.

On another note. Did not hear Jose moan about the ref NOT sending matic off. Or ivannovic throwing himself all over the place etc

Was a penalty. For sure. Their player did brush the ball but he fouled mane and another player was pushing mane over.

On another note. Did not hear Jose moan about the ref NOT sending matic off. Or ivannovic throwing himself all over the place etc

Definite penalty, played the man before the ball. Sky analysed this challenge as well as Fonte's on Costa. On comparison they showed that Fonte played the ball first b&b to the Chelsea player caught Mané first. They also pointed out that Mané went down as part of the challenge but Costa went down just after, once he realised that he'd lost the ball.

No he didn't. Just said something about Chelsea never getting the kind of penalty we got today. He's making an arse of himself. He'd get a lot more respect if he just dropped all this weird sh1t about refs. It's not like he's Ferguson.

As much as I rate Davis on his day, I do wonder why he was given a new contract extension, that brings it to 5 years (?). Thats an awful long time for a player that this season does seem to be coming slightly more in consistent.

Or ivannovic throwing himself all over the place etc

The bloke is a massive twat. Near the end he did a huge dive right in front of us under pressure from Pelle. Then when we all gave him loads of shit he looked at us as if to say he'd done nothing wrong. Tosser.

Match of the day cut out almost all of our chances. F*cking biased arseholes.

They didn't show all the great Mane work in the first half. But then briefly showed it in the analysis. Odd.

Plenty of compliments though. But if you hadn't seen the full game, you'd be confused why!

Edited by Coxford_lou

They didn't show all the great Mane work in the first half. But then briefly showed it in the analysis. Odd.

Plenty of compliments though. But if you hadn't seen then full game, you'd be confused why!

Cut out the two Tadic chances in the first half and the one in the second when he wriggled through the defence and then bizarrely passed instead of shooting. Shouldn't get so annoyed about it, but it's so obviously done to make it fit the script of Chelsea dominance.

Agree with others, really enjoyable game to be at. Hazard is amazing to watch.

Thought we were great, thought Morgan was superb, he could get into that Chelsea team which is saying something. Mane also great, and Shane Long did very well, just needs to improve his finishing. JWP was really poor when he came on it, I am not an expert but felt like a really hard game to come into.

Finally anyone else in the lower tier see Ivanovic's horrendous dive at the end of the game. shocking.

I can't stay awake long enough when he's speaking to form an opinion.

He's a damn sight more interesting than this lab write up I'm procrastinating from. But agreed, he is so dull. Very big team biased also - sickeningly so.

Cut out the two Tadic chances in the first half and the one in the second when he wriggled through the defence and then bizarrely passed instead of shooting. Shouldn't get so annoyed about it, but it's so obviously done to make it fit the script of Chelsea dominance.

Never even saw a replay if Tadic's mazy run. When minute was it in as want to got back to watch again and see if I was justified in yelling '****in shoot man'

Phil Neville seems a nice bloke just can't interpret the game v well

I really do think we're in the perfect place now to end the season on a high, and hit our third run of form in the season.

If we were still third/fourth, the pressure on the players would have been enormous. Now we're at the back of the pack, a nice run in, new players starting to settle in, and a great game against Chelsea to boost our confidence, we may still surprise a few people...

Great game yesterday, good performance. Koeman got the subs wrong for me, Djuricic doesn't bring anything to the team, would much prefer to see Reed, Hesketh, Isgove, etc get a run out.

I'm not sharing the Tadic love in either. Looks like a petulant ***t too often for me. Doesn't deliver, poor shooting, poor crossing. Not the great Lallana replacement that everyone lauded about in August. Need something more from him.

Fantastic in the first half. Held on well against a much improved Chelsea in the second. Hazard had a great second half and we did well to stay level. Well done FF!

Mane man of the match for me. A threat all game and worked tirelessly. Morgan had the best game of his season too.

All in all a well earned point.

Quick word about Mike Dean as I have had plenty of moans about refs this season. Matic sending off aside, I thought he had a very good game. One of the best refereeing displays I have seen this season. About time too.

Upwards and onwards.

COYS!!!

Let Moron eye o moan about penalties all he wants.That was only our SECOND in the whole season to date.Ronald has a little bit more diplomacy than many others (Brenda) we were cheated from a win against Liverhampton and the Spuds.

Not even google translate works on this. What are you talking about?

Great game yesterday, good performance. Koeman got the subs wrong for me, Djuricic doesn't bring anything to the team, would much prefer to see Reed, Hesketh, Isgove, etc get a run out.

I'm not sharing the Tadic love in either. Looks like a petulant ***t too often for me. Doesn't deliver, poor shooting, poor crossing. Not the great Lallana replacement that everyone lauded about in August. Need something more from him.

I'm not sure protecting a 1-1 at Stamford Bridge is the best time to give the likes of Hesketh and Isgrove a 'run out'. While I can see the argument for Reed, I think the purpose of having Djuricic on was to get someone who could keep possession and still offer an attacking outlet. We might have been defending well but when you just keep giving the ball back to them it becomes more and more difficult. Djuricic also won some clever free kicks to slow the game down.

As for Tadic, he has been desperately disappointing over the last few months, but he showed in the first third of the season that he possesses quality. He isn't really the same mould of player as Lallana, less industry but more creativity, as well as being more of a wide player. I don't think he is always worthy of a starting berth at the moment but I'm still optimistic about his role in the team going forward.

Really enjoyed that yesterday and felt confident before the game. Agree with others that Fraser should have come for the goal but had some tremendous saves to keep us in the points. Mane could only be stopped by being chopped down. Well done to all the lads and the manager.

I agree with most of that, but don't think you can say Djuricic brings nothing to the side, he still looks a good player to me. But I'd have rather seen Reed come on yesterday, press Chelsea well, keep possession, he'd have been ideal for the situation.

Not sure this been mentioned but as soon as the final whistle went Pelle went straight off seemed in a rush to get down the tunnel, any reason, all other players plus subs came on the pitch at the end of the game.

He is a passionate guy and not scoring must be killing him. We've all seen the video where he storms down the Feyenoord tunnel.

One of the most exciting games I have seen for a long, long time. Reminded me of Leeds away in the Championship when they were coming at us. Thought Forster was immense, if only he would command his area at crosses more I think he'd be on of the top 3 keepers in the league. Best of the rest, at the minute for me, but some of those saves were phenomenal.

Morgan was incredible yesterday, again. Seemed to be absolutely everywhere and made so many important tackles and blocks as well as his ability to switch the play. Could watch him all day. Toby makes such a difference in defense, too. His composure and confidence is brilliant. There were times where he was being closed down and had the calmness to find space around Costa or Oscar.

Ivanovic was pathetic, no way he should have won that free kick at the end of the game. Chuffed with a point, and the performance was good. Saturday can't come soon enough now.

gota love motd ...its now a 6 way race for champions league places (ref man u vs spurs) implying doesnt include us... even though spurs are below us

Spurs weren't when the that comment was made before the Manure/Spurs match

Great game, Saints great and much the better side in the first half, even Maureen-inho had to admit that, Chelsea were right at it in the second and penned us in with champions' quality although we still caused them some moments of serious alarm such as Tadic run/skill and Long shot with the last ditch block and Toby's free kick.

Forster's best game for the club despite being a bit slow on the cross but he's learning fast at this level. Toby superb return, Fonte excellent again although nearly a costly mis-header to let them in at the end. Jose must have Player Of The Season in the bag by now surely? Full backs did well and Morgan and Victor were just immense. Davis started well but faded a bit and Mane and Long tore Terry, Cahill and Matic a new one in the first half. They were still a constant in the second on the break. Tadic is miles better on the left and that was his best start in 2015 so far.

Disagree with those who say Djurcic shouldn't have been brought on, I thought he stretched a tiring Chelsea backline quite a few times and brought a couple of clever fouls and yellow cards on the break. Would have brought Reed on instead of JWP for Tadic as JWP just isn't at the races at present. If we didn't have a risk of bans for Victor and Morgan I'd allow JWP to go on loan to one of the NCP teams chasing automatic promotion to get some key game experience and get some confidence back. However, it's too much of a risk in the circumstances but I can't see how we'll play himself back into form at the moment. Still back him to come good long-term.

As much as I rate Davis on his day, I do wonder why he was given a new contract extension, that brings it to 5 years (?). Thats an awful long time for a player that this season does seem to be coming slightly more in consistent.

Resale value is a consideration with all long term contracts here. Davis is a versatile and consistently good midfielder who would benefit many teams. We would be gutted to lose him. Playing as many games as he has this season there are bound to be times when he is better than other times. He will move on in due course.

I'm surprised that Forster gets mentioned for not coming to claim the cross to Costa yet nobody has criticised Davis for not tracking his man.

Was it not tracking or was it poor marking? I haven't seen the tv but I thought Costa got between two short players (Davis and Clyne?) when he ought to have been marked by TA or JF. My recollection is that the bigger error was allowing the cross in the first place. Time and again in the first half Ivanovic was unmarked wide on the lef,t and when on the ball, had time and space to cross. It was up to Tadic to track back and cut out the cross and he didn't do it effectively, or sometimes at all during the first half.

Whilst on the subject of the flanks, Chelsea double up on the fullbacks. They did it to Clyne but we coped better on the right.

The team was back to its strongest and taking a point from the top team away proves that on the day we can match anybody in the division. Our recent slump, as our earlier one, coincided with absences through injuries or suspensions. Now that we have back our best central defender, our best left back the two best midfielders and an additional striker, we are a force to be reckoned with. Despite those absences and a few reversals, we still had maintained the best defence in the division, with Yoshida, Targett and Reed filling in well as back-ups.

The only main change was to drop Pelle for Long, which proved to be an astute tactic, as Mane and Long together carried the real threat of pace to Chelsea's defence. They were unable to field a very high line for fear of having Mane or Long run onto balls kicked high up the field, which in fact did happen a couple of times to good effect and goals might have resulted from better finishing.

MOTD 2 analysed it well, paying particular attention to the midfield partnership of Wanyama and Schneiderlin, which is arguably the best in the PL. They are the rock on which our defence is based and there was little penetration behind them to worry a very competant back line.

Mata should definitely have been red-carded and this was also analysed, with the opinion expressed that had several Saints players surrounded the ref, the decision would have been given. They said that Southampton deserved great credit that our players did not indulge in this gamesmanship, nor did they dive or feign injury to con the referee. Regrettably, Mourinho's team are one of the worst culprits on all three. Thankfully, cheats don't always prosper and an over-exagerated fall from Ivanovic failed to gain him any sympathy and the award of a penalty. He has to be one the biggest diving cheats anywhere, so perhaps the likes of him and Januzaj have reputations that precede them and count against them.

The draw won't have done our confidence any harm and with luck we can go on another run of wins to put pressure on the teams above us. We have it in us to take points from Spurs who are the only top team we have remaining until City on the last day. Whereas the bottom teams had tended to park the bus when playing us, their precarious position near the drop-zone means that they will have to try and gain three points, not one. This will favour us, as will the top teams all taking points off each other. We have it in us to gain one or even two places yet.

Why on earth did Forster stand like a statue and watch the Costa header go by him. The header was saveable.surely.and then there would have been two more points in the kitty.

Can't fault him for the second half display, however.

ex-Saint Gary Monk's boys can do us a favour tonight.

Why on earth did Forster stand like a statue and watch the Costa header go by him. The header was saveable.surely.and then there would have been two more points in the kitty.

Can't fault him for the second half display, however.

ex-Saint Gary Monk's boys can do us a favour tonight.

:lol: he wasn't at fault for anything yesterday.

:lol: he wasn't at fault for anything yesterday.

He could have come for the cross and he should have come off his line more often throughout the game. The one where Fonte nearly gave away a penalty is a perfect example. He expected Forster to come and he didn't which could have been very costly on another day.