Southampton v FC Midtjylland Build up thread.

Guan 2.0

IMO playing the four attacking players without a mobile linking player in front of Romeu and Wanyama doesn't really work. There is not enough movement and Pelle occupying the centre without interchange is too predictable and makes us play in straight lines. The very limited Davis and JWP are not the answer unless they add ten goals a season from play and get into double figures in assists. Recirculating the ball to the back four just doesn't cut it. The answer for me is a better player providing goals and assists to link the four attackers. Maybe that is Koeman's plan for Clasie but he hasn't a history of filling that role but who is to say he can't. One thing we do know, Davis and JWP can't whilst we have bought Romeu to match up with Wanyama not sit on the bench.

An after thought. I wonder if Jake Hesketh, if he breaks through, could be that sort of player

Edited by derry

10 goals and 10 assists for a midfielder is a pretty unrealistic expectation. Maybe someone like Silva might get close but not many.

Otherwise, fair point and we don't really have anyone to fill that role which is why Mane, our best player by a distance, is there. We just need to set the side up better for him to be successful and for us to still look solid. If thats playing a slightly lopsided midfield then so be it.

----------Stekelenberg---------

Cedric--Fonte--Yoshida--Martina

---↓----Romeu--Wanyama--↓---

-------------Davis-------------

---Mane---------------Tadic---

-------------Pelle-------------

Decent side, but I'd have Caulker in for Yoshida, Yoshida move across to left back and have Juanmi in for anyone of Davis/Mane/Tadic. Probably Mane to give him a rest.

----------Stekelenberg---------

Cedric--Fonte--Yoshida--Martina

---↓----Romeu--Wanyama--↓---

-------------Davis-------------

---Mane---------------Tadic---

-------------Pelle-------------

Caulker in for Yoshida and Juanmi for Tadic and that's my team

Is Caulker actually fit? How long did Koeman say he was out for at last week's press conference?

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/149941.php

Acute sinusitis - lasts up to a maximum of 4 weeks.

Acute sinusitis is often caused by the common cold. However, it could be caused by bacteria, allergies, or a fungal infection. Treatment depends on what caused it. In the majority of cases home remedies are suitable treatments. However, if the sinusitis is persistent it can lead to serious infections and complications.

Typically, with acute sinusitis, the patient's sinuses become inflamed and swollen. This stops the drainage and causes a build up of mucus. Doctors may refer to this as acute rhinosinusitis.

If you have acute sinusitis may find it hard to breathe through your nose. The area adjacent to your eyes and nose may feel swollen and puffed up. You could also have throbbing facial pain and a headache. Sometimes a patient with acute sinusitis may have a fever. Treatment may include an antibiotic.

Subacute sinusitis - lasts from 4 to 12 weeks

This type of sinusitis represents a continuation of the natural progression of acute sinusitis that has not got better. Symptoms will be pretty much the same as with acute sinusitis, possibly less severe, but treatment may be different. Treatment may include an antibiotic.

Chronic sinusitis - Lasts at least 12 weeks, or keeps coming back.

Chronic sinusitis is usually caused by an infection. However, it can also be caused by nasal polyps (growths in the sinuses), as well as a deviated septum.

As with acute and subacute sinusitis the sinuses become inflamed and swollen, causing blockage and mucus build up. Doctors often refer to this as chronic rhinosinusitis. The patient may find it hard to breathe through his nose. He may experience throbbing facial pain and a headache.

At onset it is very hard for a doctor to know which one a patient is likely to have as the symptoms are very similar.

:toppa:

Nicked from FCM's fans' website:

"Hello black wolves, Brentford fan here!

4 of us and other a few other Brentford fans are making the trip tomorrow two Southampton and bliver joining you in the Gauteng condition.

Are there many from Denmark making the trip?

Also are supporters meeting somewhere before the game for a drink, if so Any idea where?

Really looking forward to the game, my first European league game. COYBW"

Reading the rest of it, seems they'll have a couple of hundred over:

http://www.black-wolves.com/ulvegraven/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96982&sid=ca45f2eaa0a8dcb4db8a4ee6825c1958&start=15

So what did he say? Don't like listening to his pigeon English and guttural accent myself.

Can't we get a translator :blush::blush::blush:

He said "The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain. How now brown cow? How positively delightful. Would you care for some more tea vicar? And might I recommend one of Mrs. Reeds exceptional cheese scones?"

He said "The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain. How now brown cow? How positively delightful. Would you care for some more tea vicar? And might I recommend one of Mrs. Reeds exceptional cheese scones?"

That's unusual i mean the manager asking the questions to the press. Good stuff!

Quick Q as my girlfriend has managed to misplace her membership card (and her ticket for tomorrow was uploaded to it). Have any of you lost/forgotten to bring a membership card on a matchday, and were the ticket office receptive to printing the ticket instead?

I'll ring the ticket office ahead of the match anyway, but thought it worth asking here in the meantime.

Quick Q as my girlfriend has managed to misplace her membership card (and her ticket for tomorrow was uploaded to it). Have any of you lost/forgotten to bring a membership card on a matchday, and were the ticket office receptive to printing the ticket instead?

I'll ring the ticket office ahead of the match anyway, but thought it worth asking here in the meantime.

Theoretically (STs not membership) they charge you £10, but in practice they seem to have been doing it for free post-Cortese, assuming you only do it once, with the threat of a charge next time - as I say, that was for lost/forgotten ST cards, but the principle is the same if they're loading tickets onto the membership cards.

Link to an article about Brentford/Midgetland mathematical modelling approach that was mentioned several times in the presser today. Had not heard this mentioned previously (but maybe it has been):

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/feb/22/brentford-mathematical-modelling-denmark

It's almost certainly not anything we're not already doing, they've just chosen to focus on set-pieces for scoring goals whilst we've chosen defending for stopping them.

We've definitely done plenty of modelling around set pieces because we almost always do the same thing and it's never a shot (which statistically is a very low return option compared to other choices, if much more sexy).

Theoretically (STs not membership) they charge you £10, but in practice they seem to have been doing it for free post-Cortese, assuming you only do it once, with the threat of a charge next time - as I say, that was for lost/forgotten ST cards, but the principle is the same if they're loading tickets onto the membership cards.

That was my assumption so good to hear that's generally been the case. As I said, will give them a buzz at lunch regardless.

I hope they haven't worked out that they are more likely to score from our corners, rather than theirs.

I would imagine there's not a person in Western Europe who hasn't worked that out... given the correlation between Saints' activities and those proposed by the statistics in The Numbers Game, I'm amazed they haven't taken more notice of the stats about corners, which are something along the lines of "you only get a shot on target once in every 9 corners won" and you only score from about one in about every 20 corners.

There's clearly more work to be done regards analytics in some areas, because our powder-puff floated free-kicks might be better than just knocking it around the edge of the area with 11 defenders in the box, but are they REALLY better than a well-practiced two pass misdirection routine which creates a shot in the box? Also - how do "crossing into the box" corners compare to keeping possession when most of your team is midgets?

Getting back to the general team selection point, Celtic did a very good job last night of illustrating why a clean sheet in a home leg is absolutely vital.

Even at 3-1 up (3 goals to offset the one conceded, sounds familiar...) they looked relatively safe, but winning 3-2 at home is SO much worse than winning 1-0 when it comes to preparing for the second leg, because you either have to "not lose" away to a team you only just scraped past at home, or "narrowly lose scoring loads" which is a very good recipe for getting thrashed whilst trying to score goals away from home.

With a 1-0 lead you've got the psychological edge of not having conceded, and you can't lose on away goals in the event of an aggregate draw.

So in short, we really need to keep a clean sheet tonight (and defend their set pieces well).

Getting back to the general team selection point, Celtic did a very good job last night of illustrating why a clean sheet in a home leg is absolutely vital.

Even at 3-1 up (3 goals to offset the one conceded, sounds familiar...) they looked relatively safe, but winning 3-2 at home is SO much worse than winning 1-0 when it comes to preparing for the second leg, because you either have to "not lose" away to a team you only just scraped past at home, or "narrowly lose scoring loads" which is a very good recipe for getting thrashed whilst trying to score goals away from home.

With a 1-0 lead you've got the psychological edge of not having conceded, and you can't lose on away goals in the event of an aggregate draw.

So in short, we really need to keep a clean sheet tonight (and defend their set pieces well).

And defend our own set pieces equally well, it seems.

On my way to Southampton now, and looking forward to an entertaining game and a win!

Let's just hope that the team is business-like in defence and not sloppily over-confident, as Midty are a better club than their size suggests and could punish mistakes.

3-2 Saints if they play like against Everton. 2-1 if they concentrate.

COYR

Think Rodriguez needs games, and could be a good chance for a goal.

Him, Pelle and Mane up front. It's a big game so go with the best 3. Juanmi to come on.

Has to be Wanyama and Romeu surely. In front of them I want to see JWP given a proper run, not the odd game here or there but 10-15 starts. But Davis will keep getting in. Think Davis AND JWP in the same team is unlikely to work.

Hopefully Caulker back for this one. Dare I hope for Ramirez on the bench?

We need to keep a clean sheet, and we don't play 3 up front.

Stek

Cedric

Fonte

Caulker

Martina

Vic

Romeu

JWP

Juanmi

Mane

Pelle

I'd be more inclined to play

Cedric

Fonte

Caulker

Martina

Vic

Romeu

JWP

Mane

Juanmi

Pelle

(Though IRL I think I'd pick Tadic and play JWP on Sunday and I wouldn't go near Martina at left back).

Midtjylland appear to be big, strong, but slow. Time to try something different, a plan B if you will, and use the pace we have in the squad up front. I'd go with…

------------------Stek-----------------

Cedric---Fonte---Caulker---Yoshida

--------Vic----------Romeu-----------

--------------Tadic--------------------

Mane-----------------------Juanmi

---------------JRod-----------------

Yes, Tadic has been poor recently but he does seem to play well in Europe. JWP on at half time if he's been 'quiet'.

Sorry if I've missed it elsewhere, but have the Danish fans been given any official steer as to which pubs they should head for? I am presuming that in general the city has been rather more low-key in welcoming the Danes over than the Arnhem area was for Saints fans (?).

They have all been directed to the pubs next to Griffin park.

Sorry if I've missed it elsewhere, but have the Danish fans been given any official steer as to which pubs they should head for? I am presuming that in general the city has been rather more low-key in welcoming the Danes over than the Arnhem area was for Saints fans (?).

Most of them seem to be arriving by coach so they'll probably all end up in the same place - and it won't be Guildhall Square in this weather. :D

Most of them seem to be arriving by coach so they'll probably all end up in the same place - and it won't be Guildhall Square in this weather. :D

According to the club they've got 54 on a coach and 80 travelling independently, plus 40 sponsors and some Brentford fans, so only actually about 134 actual Danish fans travelling, doubt we'll even notice them in town. Its grey and drizzling out there a bit different to the exciting build up to the Arnhem game.

hope we get a decent walk up tonight and fill most of blocks 44 and 45 in the Northam to boost the attendance