Injury Watch

Roger

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

I caught Salmonella in Mexico. I was off, office, work for weeks and I even missed a home game, the 6 3 against Man United !

Before that I had a cast iron  constitution, but after that I got every stomach bug going. The friendly bacteria all get killed off by the bug. I think Downes will be eating a lot of yogurt from now on to recover .

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

9 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

This particular bit of news isn't that concerning. I expect if he doesn't play that the thinking is they'd rather give him an extended break with the idea of solving it for good. 

Don't want to be overly pessimistic and I'm not a doctor, but this is beginning to sound like something that it might not be possible to 'solve for good', wish the lad well, have experienced similar in my family.

9 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Don't want to be overly pessimistic and I'm not a doctor, but this is beginning to sound like something that it might not be possible to 'solve for good', wish the lad well, have experienced similar in my family.

Maybe but apparently one of his abscenes was because he had the flu which was a bug that a few of the others in the squad had too so it's only been a couple of times he's been off due to this. 

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Not forgetting Stewart

Forget him ?

..I  didn't get around to remembering him in the first place.   He had less game time than Larios and that's saying something...

When he does eventually start ... he'll feel like a brand new signing.  

20 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Forget him ?

..I  didn't get around to remembering him in the first place.   He had less game time than Larios and that's saying something...

If he isn't utterly crocked. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Forget him ?

When he's back, won't it be almost 2 years since he's played proper football? (I'm not counting a 10 min sub app).

Not many players, if any, ever return the same after that long out. It's not like he was a word beater before his injury either. We've clearly lost the gamble on this one and failed with another striker signing!

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

When he's back, won't it be almost 2 years since he's played proper football? (I'm not counting a 10 min sub app).

Not many players, if any, ever return the same after that long out. It's not like he was a word beater before his injury either. We've clearly lost the gamble on this one and failed with another striker signing!

Not making any sort of career comparison, BUT ...Danny Ings was out of the game for a very long period before he got back to form with Liverpool..and then...

Even if Ross does get himself back fit  and we get a couple of good seasons out of him.. we can only hope.. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

After being out of the game for a frustrating two months.... in the midst of the most successful period in the club's history, 

we can hope he will eventually return 100%  fit ...has " grown-up "  a bit ...and got over whatever it was that was bothering him.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, david in sweden said:

After being out of the game for a frustrating two months.... in the midst of the most successful period in the club's history, 

we can hope he will eventually return 100%  fit ...has " grown-up "  a bit ...and got over whatever it was that was bothering him.

Eh? News to me.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

He hasn't been out a year yet, very nearly though, last game was Jan 28 I believe (FA Cup v Fulham).

What he could continue to do with is plenty of positive encouragement and support from Saints fans on his journey back to fitness. I think for the most part that’s what he’s getting from most fans plus first class rehab with Saints medical team. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Sorry if mentioned elsewhere, S Armstrong apparently hamstring.

Martin said after the game that he'd just taken a kick, no worries about him at all as he said.

It was Adams and Flynn who were the worries.

• Like 2

On 10/02/2024 at 18:41, S-Clarke said:

Martin said after the game that he'd just taken a kick, no worries about him at all as he said.

It was Adams and Flynn who were the worries.

Che Adams OK. Still no news on Flynn I guess we will hear something in todays press conference.

James Bree has been back training for over a week and will play for the u21s against Arsenal on Friday. Martin says he will then return to the squad if he gets through that with no issues.

Good to have him back, especially as Manning is a couple of bookings away from a 2 game suspension and we could do with his superior defensive qualities for some games.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, saintant said:

Not convinced we'll see him in either of the games this week.

Agreed. Martin said Downes was out for tonight as is Che. He went onto say Che will be back for Friday but didn't mention Downes. Reading between lines, think you are right. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JustinR said:

Agreed. Martin said Downes was out for tonight as is Che. He went onto say Che will be back for Friday but didn't mention Downes. Reading between lines, think you are right. 

You got the same vibe as me from what RM said.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I guess it gives him a nice rest ahead of the play-offs. And maybe an opportunity for someone else.

Who knows, maybe we can try Jack Stephen’s up there - about the only position he didn’t try on Saturday 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Ross Stewart is reported to be jogging now. RM cagey on chances of returning before the end of the season, so probably unlikely.

Stewart worries me he's made of bolser wood the slightest touch and he's injured again still really bemused as to why we paid so much for an injured player when we has a player out on loan who we could have called back and is scoring goals

48 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

Stewart worries me he's made of bolser wood the slightest touch and he's injured again still really bemused as to why we paid so much for an injured player when we has a player out on loan who we could have called back and is scoring goals

As I understand it he has a muscular leg injury unrelated to the achilles injury he had when we signed him. That achilles injury was his first serious injury problem of his career, and he looked great playing for Sunderland. If you'd been off the pitch for a year and went out and started playing hard again I'm sure there's a chance you might pull a muscle. It's unfortunate but these things do happen. 

He's way, way less injury prone than Ings, and look what Danny managed for us - and we've still haven't managed to replace him. 

11 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

As I understand it he has a muscular leg injury unrelated to the achilles injury he had when we signed him. That achilles injury was his first serious injury problem of his career, and he looked great playing for Sunderland. If you'd been off the pitch for a year and went out and started playing hard again I'm sure there's a chance you might pull a muscle. It's unfortunate but these things do happen. 

He's way, way less injury prone than Ings, and look what Danny managed for us - and we've still haven't managed to replace him. 

How can you say he is less injury prone - he hasn’t played any meaningful football for god knows how long and prior to the achilles he was injured :

Scotland international Stewart was out for three months earlier in the season with a hamstring problem and after only six matches back in the side wound up having season-ending Achilles surgery.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 6ft8saint said:

Nonsense he revived an injury unrelated to his previous issue. Saints streamed the Saints B team match to get him fit . He looked strong , happy to muscle defenders out of the way and eventually scored a superb, brave goal. As someone mentioned he’s just what we need. Danny Ings like but not as lazy. Quite happy to mix it. 

8 hours ago, manji said:

Nonsense he revived an injury unrelated to his previous issue. Saints streamed the Saints B team match to get him fit . He looked strong , happy to muscle defenders out of the way and eventually scored a superb, brave goal. As someone mentioned he’s just what we need. Danny Ings like but not as lazy. Quite happy to mix it. 

Why is it nonsense? The point he made is equally as valid as yours. Don't forget you are submitting opinions not facts, so others are allowed to have conflicting but equally valid opinions to yours.

Edited by Oldandtired
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, manji said:

He has played 13 matches at Championship level in his entire life before signing for us. And two bit parts for us.

He's proved nothing to anyone yet.

• Like 3

On 29/02/2024 at 12:47, manji said:

How do you know he is what we need. He is a proven league 1 striker at the moment.

On 29/02/2024 at 12:47, manji said:

I wouldn't start calling him a better Danny ings until he's actually achieved anything comparable. 

On 03/03/2024 at 10:38, AlexLaw76 said:

How do you know he is what we need. He is a proven league 1 striker at the moment.

Think he's a bit more than that, 10 in 13 in the Championship and 9 in 40 in the SPL (for an unfashionable club) shows he can hack it at a slightly higher level than League One, he really only played one season in that League.