Injury Watch

Roger

12 minutes ago, iansums said:

I see that Sully is back in training

My biggest hope going into this season was that we'd somehow have Sulemana - Alcaraz - Tella playing behind the striker, through all the noise we've encountered these past two months, could actually be a possibility?

• Like 1

I wonder how bad Stephens' injury is. At least we have cover there now with Holgate in and the possibility of another CB too.

Thought Charles did a good job today back there, and his composure in bringing the ball out gives us more control in possession.

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

I wonder how bad Stephens' injury is. At least we have cover there now with Holgate in and the possibility of another CB too.

Thought Charles did a good job today back there, and his composure in bringing the ball out gives us more control in possession.

It didn't look good to be fair, he was thumping the turf repeatedly when it happened. Looks like he knew it was a bad one.

6 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

In his interview, RM said it was bad.

I'm not sure of the injury? He did walk off the pitch (with support), seemed he couldn't put weight on his right leg. (do we not do stretchers in the Championship?). Is that a hamstring tear?

I think it was more likely a calf strain, or ligament damage to the calf/ ankle.

On 26/08/2023 at 23:31, Polegategavin243 said:

I think it was more likely a calf strain, or ligament damage to the calf/ ankle.

Immediately after the match he said he was hoping it was calf and not achilles. But seemed to be fearing the worst. 

On 29/08/2023 at 10:41, Essruu said:

Immediately after the match he said he was hoping it was calf and not achilles. But seemed to be fearing the worst. 

Wilcox mentioned in interview with Blackmore (before yesterday's game) that Jack would be out until Christmas, which is a lot more than RM's 7 games.

7 hours ago, SW11_Saint said:

It’s such a nothing piece though. Poor from Alfie as he’s better than that. It says no more than the tweet from the polish media! We don’t know what the injury is or how serious. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, iansums said:

Does anyone know when we can expect to see Stewart playing?

RM seems to be sticking to "after the next international break" line in the Presser this morning, so possibly Hull away on 21st. Sounds like he is training with the main group. Jack Stephens though doesn't seem so hopeful, certainly not in the same timeframe as Stewart, which is what Martin originally suggested (he would miss about 7 games), more inline with what Wilcox said pre Sunderland, i.e. around Christmas. Martin acknowledged Jack was a huge loss, as he is the only one (his words) with a voice. 

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Holgate or Charles?

Surely got to be Holgate as he is actually a CB. Obviously poor start but he might get a run now in his preferred position.

Charles for me, purely based on Holgate's 2 poor performances so far in a Saints shirt. 

• 3 weeks later...

https://x.com/southamptonfc/status/1719341955375579238?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

Looks like Stephens is now back in light training. Welcome back Captain 🫡

Might be hard for him to get back in at the moment but it’s positive competition for places and hopefully keeps Holgate out the side.

Video link of Jack doing light training: https://x.com/southamptonfc/status/1719329545394819308?s=46&t=7raSKCMt6LV8RJ1C2d39WQ

Edited by goodymatt

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Maybe this is partly why RM was in such a filthy mood when interviewed by Blackmore after the match on Wednesday?

What about the rest of us? Waited 5 transfer windows to sign a vaguely competent forward and he’s not fit for weeks, plays 5 minutes and is out for another load of weeks.

Absolutely ludicrous and quite frankly negligent by our recruitment team over the last 3 seasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

What about the rest of us? Waited 5 transfer windows to sign a vaguely competent forward and he’s not fit for weeks, plays 5 minutes and is out for another load of weeks.

Absolutely ludicrous and quite frankly negligent by our recruitment team over the last 3 seasons.

Why are biggest signing this summer was a player with a serious injury I have no idea, have we signed another Delgado?  Surely the manager will be begging for another forward signing in January?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/12/2023 at 11:50, a1ex2001 said:

Why are biggest signing this summer was a player with a serious injury I have no idea, have we signed another Delgado?  Surely the manager will be begging for another forward signing in January?

Hopefully we will see a new striker in January, we certainly need a few alternatives to our present strike force and increase our GD.

Delgado ..who ironically often wasn't " fit enough " to play for Saints, but still went to the World Cup .. and scored a goal.

as for Ross Stewart... sometimes long injury breaks are more frustrating for managers and fans, but can often give new life to a player's career.

Danny Ings  played some great football after he came from Liverpool (and more than a year's lay-off with injuries)...and then went on to play for England.

Does anyone have enough inside info to advise on what the issue and anticipated recovery time is for:

Larios

Stewart

Kamaldeen

Doyle

Edwards?

Hear the odd bits when injuries first happen but be good to have an idea in one place. Plus I didn’t even know Doyle was injured until this last week.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has this info.

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

Does anyone have enough inside info to advise on what the issue and anticipated recovery time is for:

Larios

Stewart

Kamaldeen

Doyle

Edwards?

Hear the odd bits when injuries first happen but be good to have an idea in one place. Plus I didn’t even know Doyle was injured until this last week.

And what’s happened to McCarthy?

9 hours ago, Chewy said:

Larios

Stewart

Kamaldeen

Doyle

Edwards?

I heard the 31st of Neverember for Stewart.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Larios had another setback just as he was reintegrating into training. Not okayed for over a year now and won’t be back until late Jan earliest I understand. Source club website and online snippets. 

Cheers for the update. Do we know if its the same injury that keeps recurring (and if so, what is the nature of the injury?) or has he just been unlucky with back-to-back different injuries? The latest update I could find was back in September, but no details in this one-sentence article: https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23824221.martin-confirms-injury-setback-sideline-southampton-defender/

Edited by trousers