Injury Watch

Roger

On 25/07/2022 at 17:07, qwertyell said:

When his broken leg has healed. It's taken longer than expected.

Someone on here said he rejoined training last week, so if that's the start of his pre-season prep, I wouldn't expect him to be available for the first couple of weeks - if all goes to plan.

He came on as sub today. He also started against Monaco.

Edited by The Kraken

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Amazing really, he's on track to be fully fit for after the world cup. I guess there isn't much point in trying to rush him back before that.

Long way to go yet. There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lips.

But I wish him all the best.

1 hour ago, screechio said:

Looked like a hamstring.

That’s what I thought. He was chasing back to provide cover but then pulled up holding the back of his thigh and started hopping.

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

The fact he was on the pitch after the game is at least somewhat encouraging. Isn’t it? Looking for a crumb of comfort.

Yes, he seemed to be walking freely and I couldn’t see any sign of an ice pack.

7 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

I thought hamstring as soon as he pulled up. But he walked off the pitch without limping. Adam Blackmore reports on twitter that he’s “okay”. Although Ralph said it may be a few weeks?

Ralph also said "hamstring" in one of the TV interviews.

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Minimum 6 weeks according to Ralph in his presser just now.

That's not good - minimum 6 weeks probably means 8 weeks. He'll be a big miss and it's also not great in terms of his development because he has looked a great player so far. Still, we've extra bodies in the squad now so hopefully can carry on our decent form until Lavia returns.

Edited by saintant
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On Lavia, Hasenhüttl believes the 18-year-old can use the time on the sidelines to learn more about his body and strengthen his resistance to injury.

“It’s tough for him, you can see it’s not easy, because it feels like a full break after a very, very good start,” he said.

“This setback is always a chance – especially for players who are coming in here – to scan your body, scan your deficits you have, and work on this in this time you are out now. This is always the chance.

“I often speak it, a lot of players using this time for coming back even stronger, physically especially.

“He has shown he can play good football, I think he has shown this in the five games he was playing, but now he has to adapt his body to get better prepared for this tough league. This is a good chance for him and I’m sure he will grab it.”

Livramento, meanwhile, is back on the grass in individual training after five months out with a knee injury.

“It looks good,” the boss added. “Without being too euphoric I think we are on a good time schedule with him and a return to the team, so everything looks quite good at the moment.”

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-09-15/team-news-aston-villa-vs-southampton-premier-league-202223

Good news regarding Livramento but it sounds like Lavia might be out for longer than expected?

Getting rid of Romeu still strikes me as a crazy move. Lavia is 18 and was never going to manage to play every game. JWP and Romeu especially looked floored at the end of last season as there was no backup for them. And we never had the option to play 3 strong CMs together, eg Liverpool away. We haven’t solved that problem as evidenced by Diallo just not being up to it.

Edited by The Kraken

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Getting rid of Romeu still strikes me as a crazy move. Lavia is 18 and was never going to manage to play every game. JWP and Romeu especially looked floored at the end of last season as there was no backup for them. And we never had the option to play 3 strong CMs together, eg Liverpool away. We haven’t solved that problem as evidenced by Diallo just not being up to it.

It’s not so much as letting Romeu leave but rather not getting another DM in along with Lavia. Hopefully in January they can bring someone in. Should be not quite as difficult as finding a goal scorer (which we also desperately need of course).

1 hour ago, Dark Munster said:

It’s not so much as letting Romeu leave but rather not getting another DM in along with Lavia. Hopefully in January they can bring someone in. Should be not quite as difficult as finding a goal scorer (which we also desperately need of course).

New Cdm or Romeu, whatever, the point is we’re one short. Keeping Romeu just for one more year would have given us a strong 3 on the books. Also, he’s a known entity, you know exactly what you’ll get. Playing Diallo as a starter in a central midfield two was always likely to be a disaster, and we haven’t really got a good way around it now.

Edited by The Kraken

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

New Cdm or Romeu, whatever, the point is we’re one short. Keeping Romeu just for one more year would have given us a strong 3 on the books. Also, he’s a known entity, you know exactly what you’ll get. Playing Diallo as a starter in a central midfield two was always likely to be a disaster, and we haven’t really got a good way around it now.

Yes but Romeu’s legs were no longer up to the PL, plus the club didn’t want to stand in his way. But we’re in agreement that we’re a DM short. As you say we can’t rely on an 18 year old by himself. 

15 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Yes but Romeu’s legs were no longer up to the PL, plus the club didn’t want to stand in his way. But we’re in agreement that we’re a DM short. As you say we can’t rely on an 18 year old by himself. 

There is no compelling evidence that OR's legs had gone. With Lavia he would not have been required to play every minute anyway, so it was not such an issue. Basically Saints made a big mistake thinking Oriol was expensive, and we are reaping the rewards with Lavia injured.

19 hours ago, The Kraken said:

If the guy wanted the move, which he did, it would have been wrong to stand in is way.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dellman said:

If the guy wanted the move, which he did, it would have been wrong to stand in is way.

No it wouldn't. It would have been right to say give us the last season of your contract and you can leave for free with our blessing, meanwhile we will endeavour bring in an adequate replacement. Instead the possibility of getting a (relative small) fee took precedence. From what I have read Oriol only pushed for the move after their Chairman made a cheeky offer to Saints and was somewhat shocked when Saints didn't tell them to take a long walk off a short pier.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/09/2022 at 13:35, VectisSaint said:

No it wouldn't. It would have been right to say give us the last season of your contract and you can leave for free with our blessing, meanwhile we will endeavour bring in an adequate replacement. Instead the possibility of getting a (relative small) fee took precedence. From what I have read Oriol only pushed for the move after their Chairman made a cheeky offer to Saints and was somewhat shocked when Saints didn't tell them to take a long walk off a short pier.

Over the summer we bought in four from Manchester City, including 2 at around the same time as Oriel went to Girona and Lis went to Troyes. Troyes and Girona are both part of the Manchester City group of clubs. I don't think this was a coincidence. Without Romeu's move we may not have got Edozie & Larios. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Over the summer we bought in four from Manchester City, including 2 at around the same time as Oriel went to Girona and Lis went to Troyes. Troyes and Girona are both part of the Manchester City group of clubs. I don't think this was a coincidence. Without Romeu's move we may not have got Edozie & Larios. 

Interesting conspiracy theory. I don't believe for one minute the Oriol going to Girona was part of a Man City master plan, any more than Lis to Troyes. Much as I like Edozie and Karios, Oriol was way more important to our future prospects than either or both. 

10 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Poor lad.

That's a real shame. He missed most of last season with a bad injury too, can't quite remember what it was.

Still young enough to recover, but he'll probably be around 21 by the time he's fully fit and it'll be a struggle for him to hit the hights his potential once had.

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Still young enough to recover, but he'll probably be around 21 by the time he's fully fit and it'll be a struggle for him to hit the hights his potential once had.

He turned 19 a couple of weeks ago. I know we've got a pretty ropy record with ACL recoveries, but two years is a bit pessimistic.