Injury Watch

Roger

2 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Apparently Calum Slattery injured his knee last week whilst on loan at Gillingham and is our for a month or more so our crocked players list extends beyond our boundaries.

Wonder if he has to return to Southampton for treatment?

Doesn't look too bad -

Callum Slattery is set to be sidelined with ankle ligament damage for a number of weeks, but the injury does not appear to be so serious as to force the annulment of his loan to seek treatment at his parent club. He had made six appearances for Gillingham since joining the League One side on loan in January.

• Like 1

On 27/02/2021 at 17:26, egg said:

They would struggle, but the issue goes deeper than that and it's easy to make excuses.

We take the lead, then lose it. We lose a goal, then fall apart. That's down to more than injuries. 

With many injuries in a small squad it puts the others under even more pressure and brings fatigue to the fore.. it also means that some will have to be used out of position! They have been expected to play up to 3 times a week at peak performance which clearly is not easy. In this respect we are different to most top clubs, you only have to look at who the replacements are at teams like Leicester, Everton etc... let alone Liverpool and the big boys !

Our preferred first 11 with reasonable back up did well earlier in the season but IMO the injury situation has had a profound effect since.

It’s also true that our ‘high press’ system is energy sapping and I’m sure that has contributed to our drop in levels later in games !

I do not intend that these be used as excuses, purely that they are contributory factors !

As per this season, always an injury to come out of a game.

Not sure why we're so susceptible this year. Are recovery facilities really off bounds at Staplewood? (I keep hearing that).

If that's the case the club are being utter moronic and need to give their head a wobble.

• Like 1

Was Yan Valery injured for Birmingham or has Lee Bowyer rumbled him after a single training session? Had been on bench for Karanka. Don’t think we will see him in a Saints shirt again, lower league overseas loans for 2 years. 

Better news for Jake Vokins, played nearly all of the 2-0 win for Sunderland at Accy. Hopefully doing his confidence and experience some good there after a shaky start. 

• Like 1

So for our current injured players is this correct? 

Out for the season 

Romeu, Smallbone, Obafemi 

Back start of April 

Ings , Walcott 

Hopefully have them on the bench v Burnley, then feature against WBA ready to be involved in the FA cup semi final a week later 

On 21/03/2021 at 06:59, JRM said:

So for our current injured players is this correct? 

Out for the season 

Romeu, Smallbone, Obafemi 

Back start of April 

Ings , Walcott 

Hopefully have them on the bench v Burnley, then feature against WBA ready to be involved in the FA cup semi final a week later 

Isn’t Theo cup tied ?

Was interesting too that Diallo was left out of the France U21 squad.

Wonder if Saints applied a bit of pressure given he is one of only two fit centre mids who Ralph uses and was recently back from injury.

Sensible really.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Was interesting too that Diallo was left out of the France U21 squad.

Wonder if Saints applied a bit of pressure given he is one of only two fit centre mids who Ralph uses and was recently back from injury.

Sensible really.

Don't think he'd played 90 minutes for us since returning to fitness when France U21s named their squad. Just one tentative 60 minute outing.

3 hours ago, Shroppie said:

Just said being rested to protect his fitness for the weekend.

He'll play against Burnley.

Perhaps, but you don't need to return this afternoon to do that, he could have stayed with the squad on the bench to be part of the match day and returned home this evening, doesn't seem right to me. 

Still a few days until Sunday. Assume Armstrong and Adams travel back together tomorrow, Bednarek this evening, Vestergaard didn't play for Denmark should travel back tomorrow, Minamino should be on his way back from Japan. Hopefully plenty of options for the Burnley game. 

4 minutes ago, Verbal said:

The Guardian is reporting that JWP is out for the game tomorrow.  How on earth do players pick up so many injuries on international duty?

Their report isn't very accurate. Ralph says he should train tomorrow and be available for selection. The "injury" is very vague.

40 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Don't read the Guardian and watch the press conference instead. Hasenhuttl did not say Ward-Prowse is out...

Oh the shame...  12 years on this site and I've now gone through the existential hell of being MLG'd for the first time.  

(As a natural pessimist though I'd bet he doesn't recover in time.)

25 minutes ago, vince said:

Doesn't seem to have been mentioned on here, but I saw this pop up on twitter on Sunday....

I liked what I saw of Sam when he had his first team chances - what seems like a lifetime ago now.

If he can get himself fit for next season then it would surely save us the need to sign a backup LB in the summer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I liked what I saw of Sam when he had his first team chances - what seems like a lifetime ago now.

If he can get himself fit for next season then it would surely save us the need to sign a backup LB in the summer.

Sadly I don't think he's going to be playing at this level for us. I can see him heading out to a L1 club to rebuild his career and climb back up the leagues. There was a potential PL player there at one stage, feels a lifetime ago now though.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Sadly I don't think he's going to be playing at this level for us. I can see him heading out to a L1 club to rebuild his career and climb back up the leagues. There was a potential PL player there at one stage, feels a lifetime ago now though.

Believe his last game for us was 3 years ago that’s absolutely flown by