Injury Watch

Roger

The good news via Adam on twitter - it’s nothing to do with the old injury...

Adam Blackmore

@AdamBlackmore

3m

#saintsfc Ralph explained to me that Danny Ings tried to train yesterday but they quickly realised there was a problem He has a small meniscus issue and they’ve made a decision to have a routine surgery now and not risk it further - injury is unrelated to old knee problems

15 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

The good news via Adam on twitter - it’s nothing to do with the old injury...

Adam Blackmore

@AdamBlackmore

3m

#saintsfc Ralph explained to me that Danny Ings tried to train yesterday but they quickly realised there was a problem He has a small meniscus issue and they’ve made a decision to have a routine surgery now and not risk it further - injury is unrelated to old knee problems

Hardly good news even so, there are a lot of games during the next six weeks. His on-pitch leadership will be as big a miss as his goals. 

6 weeks is recovery, probably another 2-3 for him to get fitness back, realistically we are not going to see him fit and firing until Jan.

Big blow, of course could be worse but I am not sure we will sustain any sort of European challenge with Ings out for 2 months. 

If you have a partial or total meniscectomy, you can expect your recovery to take about a month. If your meniscus was repaired, it may take as long as 3 months.

Sounds like it's option 1 for Ings?

Who knows, just trying to find positives in the news! Feels like our season has been totally derailed.

41 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Sounds like it's option 1 for Ings?

Who knows, just trying to find positives in the news! Feels like our season has been totally derailed.

Wherever possible surgeons will try to repair and tie down torn menusci. Removal (meniscectomy) robs the knee of a vital shock absorber and is a fast track to arthritis 

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Testing our faith in Ralph

And what a test.  One comfort is the increasing number of our players that seem to be keen to get on the scoresheet lately, although arguably because half the opposing defence is worried about where the hell Ings is or it's Ings himself that's carving out the opportunity for them.  Not easy shoes to step into.  Walcott certainly doesn't appear have anywhere near the engine that Ings does.  

With respect to him, I hope we don't end up seeing more of Long in the coming weeks.  He's last choice for me...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

And do we really think that Theo will stay fit until Ings is back?!

Do we have a solid reason to think he won't?  Losing Ings is a blow but Saints are more than a one man team. Hopefully the others will pull together and give that bit extra to compensate for his loss.

Tbh, Im feeling quite positive about this. Obviously hes a miss, but as has been stated a number of times we can share the goals around which has been happening. On top of that, imagine if we do keep playing well and winning games. Theres no reason we wont, I mean we wont win all of them but if we do pick up points whilst Ings is out itll be a great boost to have him back whilst the team is still firing 

Im a glass half full kind of guy. 

By feeling positive I also mean that my initial thought when I saw him go down was that he was done for the season. 

Edited by Hawkswood
  • Like 1

I don’t think we’ve relied on Ings so much this season, as we did in the last. He is still a top player, who would be well away from our team if he didn’t have these injury issues and will be a miss. But, we did beat Chelsea without him last season and now have a decent finisher to step in for him in Walcott, rather than just Long and Obafemi, who can hopefully still remain as alternative options.

Additionally, let’s hope this puts off some of the bigger clubs who will undoubtedly be circling and he uses his downtime to sign a new contract.

6 hours ago, LaptopSaint said:

Boll0cks. Unless we’re lucky he’s not realistically back until Christmas. Misses 4-6 games. 

At least it’s not 4-6 months. Time for the other forwards to step up.  Theo and Che up front? 

I was hoping we would have bought a steady little striker in the transfer window. I always felt it was a blinkered view to keep relying so much on Danny Ings. Who do we have who will be a 20+ goal a season player for us?  Adams is gradually improving but it is a big ask to expect him to fill Ings's boots. I have a feeling of dread that Long will be on, missing chances a 5 year old could put away and smiling about it. He does my head in when he does that!

6 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

I was hoping we would have bought a steady little striker in the transfer window. I always felt it was a blinkered view to keep relying so much on Danny Ings. Who do we have who will be a 20+ goal a season player for us?  Adams is gradually improving but it is a big ask to expect him to fill Ings's boots. I have a feeling of dread that Long will be on, missing chances a 5 year old could put away and smiling about it. He does my head in when he does that!

How many teams with a 20+ goals per season striker, ( Ings, Salah, Kane, Vardy, etc ), have another one on the bench just in case ?

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

He'll miss four or five games max you bunch of drips. Get a grip.

You tell them Del. It ain't ideal but it is what it is. Walcott playing up top with big Che will see us through. 

Edited by egg

1 hour ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

To be fair as huge a miss as he will be I don't think it's realistic to suggest we should have bought another steady little 20 goal striker in case Ings got injured, that's not like falling off  a log, especially with our budget!

Others are going to have to step up, Adams is going to have to prove himself as the main man for a while, could be a big opportunity for Nlundulu (sp), seen very little of him but he looks a proper unit that you'd like to think could be a real threat in the air for Redmond and Walcott to cross to. Pushing Djenepo further  forward might be an option. Then you got Obafemi - hardly prolific but learning his trade at this level  the last couple of seasons and has scored decent goals. Probably feels a bit under threat with Nlundulu(sp) securing bench time recently so will be determined to grab what may be his last opportunity. Then you've always got Long, maybe he will feel he's drinking in the last chance saloon and it's now or never to finally improve on his 1 goal to every 20 chances ratio. Jesus I've almost convinced myself we don't even need Ings!!

1 hour ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

Did you miss Theo Walcott signing?

It was never going to be a good time for Danny Ings to get injured for us. Perhaps better though, that we already have 13 points in the bag rather than being stuck around the relegation zone on 3 points. If Theo stays fit, that could be a very good and timely bit of business for us. A goal for him on Friday would do wonders. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, notnowcato said:

our form over the past 12 months suggests otherwise

True - its been immense!!..although we were always going to suffer an injury or two to a key players at some point, which for a club our size stops us in our tracks. I can't see who is going to replace him up front and offer the same threat.

image.png

5 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

It was never going to be a good time for Danny Ings to get injured for us. Perhaps better though, that we already have 13 points in the bag rather than being stuck around the relegation zone on 3 points. If Theo stays fit, that could be a very good and timely bit of business for us. A goal for him on Friday would do wonders. 

Indeed. Ings isn't some mythical figure and we aren't a one man team, particularly this year where we have added a lot to our game. I reckon we will still nick a few good results and I expect us to win. 

35 minutes ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

I'll stop worrying then and look forward to his goal fest.

I'd stop worrying completely. When you've figured out how worrying is going to help us score goals, let us know.