Injury Watch

Roger

On 20/07/2020 at 19:01, Matthew Le God said:

Hasenhuttl said Djenepo and Boufal were unlikely to play again this season. They haven't been shown in recent training galleries.

What's the injury for these two respectively? None of you have suggested it's fake, so assume genuine injuries?

I like both players, they're our game changers, but they haven't been available much.

34 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

What's the injury for these two respectively? None of you have suggested it's fake, so assume genuine injuries?

I like both players, they're our game changers, but they haven't been available much.

As far as I can guess, they're both genuine. But I won't be surprised is we don't see Boufal in a Saints shirt again. Djenepo is a work in progress but my guess is he'll be given a chance.

• 1 month later...
On 10/09/2020 at 18:04, Disco Stu said:

So Armstrong out with a quad injury 😡

At least it's during the transfer window...really we signed Djenepo and Boufal to be first choice wide players but neither have been good enough or consistent enough to be first choice, appreciate Boufal was signed for a different system.

I'm sorry but Redmond, Armstrong and Djenepo is not enough depth to last the season IMO.  That's not Smallbone's position, especially if we're needing him to attack, and Tella is a gamble given he's an unproven kid.

If Boufal goes, we should absolutely be bringing in another player who will push those 3, and cover for injuries, given Armstrong and Djenepo seem to spend quite a lot of time injured.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, DT said:

Van Dijke has done his ACL. Wow. Man City win league. 

Karma for Van Dick Head - hope he realises he might be one injury from his dream of playing for Barca and goes on strike for a move when he recovers 🤕

4 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

He walked off the pitch barely limping , suggests it wasn't that serious . Bad tackle though although in real time from the ref's angle it didn't look that bad to me. The other angle showed it was reckless to say the least.

ACL injuries often take a short while for the pain to occur with swelling, players sometimes will just walk off before they know how serious it is.

14 hours ago, Shroppie said:

VVD now confirmed ACL requiring surgery.

I appreciate that VVD isn't the most popular ex-Saints player but I don't like to see any footballer get a serious injury, particularly from a reckless challenge. He was never going to stay at Southampton long term and very likely has ideas to move from Liverpool for one of the top Euro teams. You can't knock him for having ambitions. This injury may well put paid to that. There is a statistician amongst us, I am sure, who can come up with a long list of good footballers who have never come back from a serious injury to be the player they once were. Southampton's Jay Rodriquez springs to mind for me. Klopp said it would be a challenge to win the Premier League two seasons running. Well, it is now.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

I appreciate that VVD isn't the most popular ex-Saints player but I don't like to see any footballer get a serious injury, particularly from a reckless challenge. He was never going to stay at Southampton long term and very likely has ideas to move from Liverpool for one of the top Euro teams. You can't knock him for having ambitions. This injury may well put paid to that. There is a statistician amongst us, I am sure, who can come up with a long list of good footballers who have never come back from a serious injury to be the player they once were. Southampton's Jay Rodriquez springs to mind for me. Klopp said it would be a challenge to win the Premier League two seasons running. Well, it is now.

Well said, 'Cherie'. Some comments above are unnecessary and spiteful. Which is also the way I would describe Pickford's assault. I hope VVD can come back from this within a reasonable timeframe. I'll have drop him from my Fantasy team, sadly.

• Like 1

On 18/10/2020 at 19:43, wild-saint said:

👌🏻 worlds smallest violin playing just for Virgil . Wonder if he will take the cash sat in the medical room for 8 months and then go on strike until he can move to Barcelona?

Interesting that God is on his side, at least VVD thinks he is...
God works in mysterious ways and certainly did when VVD was here and refused to play - allegedly...

That’s how Christians work I suppose... Funny ole world.... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 20/10/2020 at 16:08, captainchris said:

Interesting that God is on his side, at least VVD thinks he is...
God works in mysterious ways and certainly did when VVD was here and refused to play - allegedly...

That’s how Christians work I suppose... Funny ole world.... 

23B28E88-2B08-4E8F-A60B-B0951BAF7AA7.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Means very little. VVD walked off the pitch with his ACL.

I’d have thought if there was any suspicion of ACL injuries, he’d be told at the very least to keep the weight off it. I wasn’t watching, did he receive any kind of kick when he went down or was it a twist/fall?

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’d have thought if there was any suspicion of ACL injuries, he’d be told at the very least to keep the weight off it. I wasn’t watching, did he receive any kind of kick when he went down or was it a twist/fall?

He was kicked below the knee, on the shin. As he fell, his knee over-bent - he sort of sat on his heel.

16 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

The important bit is that he has no swelling.

Van Dijk didn't have swelling and is likely out for the season so I wouldn't say that.  

Just got to look at Ralph's reaction at the time and his face in the interview, can tell he fears the worst. 

At least the international break is coming up, we'll miss Bertrand, Ings and Bednarek next week though. 

It's very difficult to say, the worry is that the knee is a genuine weak spot for ings - it always will be, any impact or incorrect movement in that area is going to be a huge concern for everyone.

It's been my biggest fear to be honest, for his sake and our teams sake he needs to be fine - couple of weeks max I hope, that's prob the best case.

I just hope the club don't play cloak and daggers with this one and they tell us from the outset the state of play.

24 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/18838514.hasenhuttl-issues-injury-updates-bednarek-bertrand/

Hamstring issue for Bertrand, headache (so possible concussion) for Bednarek.

Nothing on severity/timescale yet.

That's Bertrand out until at least the other side of the international break probably then. Vokins is the logical option, although KWP moving over and Valery coming in is another option. 

16 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Yeah much more worrying that a first choice full back might be out than our only reliable source of goals.

I think I agree with the OP. Losing Ings would be serious (very), but Saints do have cover there. Adams Walcott and two keen youngsters is reasonable cover. Long is a support player rather than a goal scorer, but adds to the dimension.

In comparison cover for Bertie is Vokins. We all have high hopes for him but Bruce will be targeting that area on Friday. Its the one area that Saints don't have cover.... blast