Injury Watch

Roger

1 hour ago, stknowle said:

Yeah much more worrying that a first choice full back might be out than our only reliable source of goals.

We are getting goals from far more players this season. Ings has only scored 2 of our last 11. What we would miss as much is his roaming play, moving wide and dragging defenders after him. Without Ings on the pitch, defending against us would be less stressful.

1 hour ago, macca155 said:

I think I agree with the OP. Losing Ings would be serious (very), but Saints do have cover there. Adams Walcott and two keen youngsters is reasonable cover. Long is a support player rather than a goal scorer, but adds to the dimension.

In comparison cover for Bertie is Vokins. We all have high hopes for him but Bruce will be targeting that area on Friday. Its the one area that Saints don't have cover.... blast

A perfectly reasonable point of view which I disagree with for various reasons I can't be bothered to elucidate on due to being tired. Good night and let's hope that Bertie Ings and Bedders all recover quickly, especially Ings.

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Van Dijk didn't have swelling and is likely out for the season so I wouldn't say that.  

Just got to look at Ralph's reaction at the time and his face in the interview, can tell he fears the worst. 

At least the international break is coming up, we'll miss Bertrand, Ings and Bednarek next week though. 

Wrong.

VVD had swelling, you re talking rubbish. 
When there is swelling that means in most cases ligaments are damaged.

The fact that he has no swelling and that he could walk out of the stadium with no crutches is good news.

Hopefully it is just a knee strain in which case only a month out and back just after the international break.

• Like 1

I think we all agree that if it is a major injury for Ings we can kiss goodbye to any hope of challenging for a top 8 finish.

Hopefully there’s no mental damage to the rest of the team stepping onto the pitch without a talisman who has been so important to us.

11 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

The important bit is that he has no swelling.

ACL reconstructions don’t really swell when they re tear, so we aren’t going to know either way until tomorrow 

Ings would have recognised the feeling though, and likely someone would of heard it, its quite a pop

Im optimistic he’ll be ok

ive torn 3 of the fuckers 😂

28 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Are they reliable?

he was on Soccer Saturday reporting on the Skates home defeat this weekend so take from that what you will.....

Dan Sheldon also reporting it on The Athletic as no serious damage shown in yesterday’s scan

Edited by beatlesaint

Delighted if so but not totally surprised. I know Ralph mentioned the injury but neither JWP or Vesty mentioned it and players normally know when there has been a serious. Bound to be concern given the history which was on Ralph’s mind. I will post about game management on the other thread but chance for Che and Theo to share the load, although Che has been in fine form himself. 

5 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Ings has scored something like 3 of our last 10 goals. But I admit we'll miss his wider contribution

2 of 11 is what I heard. Finally we seem to have other players contributing which has taken some pressure off him.

But yeah, it's not just about his goals is it. His overall contribution to our attacking and his ability to bring other players into play can't be overstated.

My initial reaction was that this probably wasn't a serious injury, but good to hear some reasonably positive news to that effect.

The fact that the Newcastle game is even being mentioned for Danny is extremely positive as I'm sure most of us would have taken missing only that in a heartbeat.

The cynic in me would then also be glad that he's nowhere near the England squad (which I would hope would be the case if Saints play this smart).

3 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

My initial reaction was that this probably wasn't a serious injury, but good to hear some reasonably positive news to that effect.

The fact that the Newcastle game is even being mentioned for Danny is extremely positive as I'm sure most of us would have taken missing only that in a heartbeat.

The cynic in me would then also be glad that he's nowhere near the England squad (which I would hope would be the case if Saints play this smart).

100%

I'd rather he missed the Newcastle game in order to then miss the international break and be back for the Wolves game.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

2 of 11 is what I heard.

This is true, but he also scored the first 3 of our 14 PL goals this season so he has a total of 5 so far - Burnley, Spurs(2), Chelsea & Villa. (The other scorers are JWP 3, Adams 2, Vestergaard 2, Djenepo & Romeu).

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

2 of 11 is what I heard. Finally we seem to have other players contributing which has taken some pressure off him.

But yeah, it's not just about his goals is it. His overall contribution to our attacking and his ability to bring other players into play can't be overstated.

only one of our last six. 

51 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

good to see the club issuing an update on the website.

Cant remember the last time they did something like that

Just shows his importance to us, and the club recognise that. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

This is true, but he also scored the first 3 of our 14 PL goals this season so he has a total of 5 so far - Burnley, Spurs(2), Chelsea & Villa. (The other scorers are JWP 3, Adams 2, Vestergaard 2, Djenepo & Romeu).

His defensive work shouldn’t be underestimated either. He gives us so much more all over the pitch.

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

image.thumb.jpeg.9ffbdf66ba76cd5b3982a2b4febc14a9.jpeg 

Excellent news, as much as we all love Danny I think Bertrand would be the bigger miss in the side with Adams in good goal-scoring form. Give Ings a rest for Friday, he can watch us go top of the league from the sidelines, and hope to have him back after the international break.

• Like 1

Ings does more than just score goals for us. How many assists has he had (I am to lazy to look but I know he's also assisted on at least a few of those 11 goals). Plus he draws the defence to him making guys like Adams get better chances.

I'd sit him this week, giving him a nice resting period before he comes back

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Probably about time he was dropped then.

Hold on, I'll get the Ings or Obafemi thread started. 

Agreed, maybe his dip in form suggests he's angling for a move, let him rot in the reserves with Hojbjerg unless he signs a new deal. 

50 minutes ago, Cabrone said:

Going forward Ralph's going to have to be cautious with Danny, we all know his history and how vital he is to us. TBH why was he even on the pitch that late in the game when we were 4-1 up?

That's a fair comment. As a I said to a work colleague today, with his past history it would be a miracle if he didn't suffer some kind of recurrence at some point. Let's just hope it's at some point well into the future.

55 minutes ago, Cabrone said:

Going forward Ralph's going to have to be cautious with Danny, we all know his history and how vital he is to us. TBH why was he even on the pitch that late in the game when we were 4-1 up?

There's a lot to be said for this. Ralph gets many plaudits for how he gets the team working, and rightly so, but sometimes his game and player management do leave a little to be desired. Surely it was a clear opportunity to give someone else a run out. I'm not a fan of wrapping players in cotton wool, but there are times when it can be used as an opportunity to give other players minutes on the pitch.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

That's a fair comment. As a I said to a work colleague today, with his past history it would be a miracle if he didn't suffer some kind of recurrence at some point. Let's just hope it's at some point well into the future.

After his £100m move to ManU has gone through.......

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cabrone said:

I don't have detailed info on how often Ings is taken off towards the end of games, but surely the other forced substitutions yesterday would have influenced not taking him off in this particular match? I think a general rule is that you tend not to use your third and final sub until a bit later than the 85th minute?

4 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I don't have detailed info on how often Ings is taken off towards the end of games, but surely the other forced substitutions yesterday would have influenced not taking him off in this particular match? I think a general rule is that you tend not to use your third and final sub until a bit later than the 85th minute?

As Everton discovered last weekend when Carlo used all his subs too early and was left with Hamez Rodriguez limping around the pitch for the last 15 minutes or so

• Like 1

7 hours ago, striker said:

Ings does more than just score goals for us. How many assists has he had (I am to lazy to look but I know he's also assisted on at least a few of those 11 goals). Plus he draws the defence to him making guys like Adams get better chances.

I'd sit him this week, giving him a nice resting period before he comes back

He provided the assist for both goals against Everton last week. Both very different kinds of assist as well - one a cute little through ball and the other a whipped cross after a change of pace to beat the defender. 

As well as his defensive contribution, he is such an immense player for us. Such good news that his injury isn't as bad as first feared.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cartman said:

He has his priorities right. One torn ACL is a tragedy, a few million covid deaths are a statistic.

He knows cases are surging in Southampton so the joy a fit Danny Ings will bring will lift the spirts Of the whole city, not just healing the minority hit by the virus.