Injury Watch

Roger

On 04/11/2020 at 17:35, HarvSFC said:

I don’t think we’ve relied on Ings so much this season, as we did in the last. 

Scored the winner against Burnley, scored our opener at Chelsea, set up both goals against Everton, and scored the winner against Villa. He’s directly contributed to 10 of our 13 points.

But yeah, we’ve not really relied on him this season 🤣.

He will be a big loss, let’s not kid ourselves otherwise. Let’s just hope it is 4-6 weeks, can’t say I trust the club spill on injuries given that Salisu was going to be ready in October.

• Like 1

On 05/11/2020 at 04:08, skintsaint said:

True - its been immense!!..although we were always going to suffer an injury or two to a key players at some point, which for a club our size stops us in our tracks. I can't see who is going to replace him up front and offer the same threat.

image.png

5 Nov 2019 to 5 Nov 2120 is quite a range. I would have thought they might have played a few more matches in that time period.....

17 hours ago, SW5 SAINT said:

5 Nov 2019 to 5 Nov 2120 is quite a range. I would have thought they might have played a few more matches in that time period.....

It's an ominous sign that covid is going to get much, much worse in this international break and the human race will never recover. 

Still, at least Saints were top of the league when the world ended. 

• Haha 1

Precaution due to a tight hamstring it seems.

And Jannik not travelled either - has this been confirmed?

If so, good news for us. Pointless games. Use the time to get rid of the niggles, and continue to work on the training ground with the majority of the squad.

9 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Perhaps we're getting a bit more savvy over discovering minor injuries rather than letting key players risk injury in pointless matches.

I doubt JWP sees them as pointless matches. He has only recently got back into a competitive squad and is in great form. Euros on the horizon.

It must be a genuine concern for him to pull out.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

I doubt JWP sees them as pointless matches. He has only recently got back into a competitive squad and is in great form. Euros on the horizon.

It must be a genuine concern for him to pull out.

I doubt he's that worried. With Southgate's fixed idea of who he wants, Prowsie will only ever be a bit-part player, if at all.

I'm sure his first priority is Saints

9 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

Who the **** is Jude Bellingham?

Wonderkid who played for Birmingham. In the summer got a move to Dortmund and Birmingham were so enamoured with the 17 year old they retired his squad number, which they were widely mocked for.

For one, with my selfish Saints hat on, I am pleased JWP has pulled out of the England squad. Personally, the way he is playing at present I think he would be as big a miss for us as Danny Ings and maybe even more so. He is driving that midfield (big credit to Romeu as well by the way) and so much of our game is going through him. It's not a World Cup. it's not even the Euros (I don't think) in fact I'm not sure what it is. JWP has played every minute since the first lockdown (as far as I know) and deserves a rest. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Yes, I had the same evil thought. What are we like eh?

We'll only know for sure when the line ups are announced for the Wolves game, see if he's fit for that. 

Does make sense having played on the Friday give him a week off to recharge the batteries / rest the hamstring then plenty of time to prepare for the next league game. 

Compared to the club's in Europe our squad generally have plenty of recovery time between games, small advantage to help level the playing field. 

1 hour ago, JRM said:

We'll only know for sure when the line ups are announced for the Wolves game, see if he's fit for that. 

Does make sense having played on the Friday give him a week off to recharge the batteries / rest the hamstring then plenty of time to prepare for the next league game. 

Compared to the club's in Europe our squad generally have plenty of recovery time between games, small advantage to help level the playing field. 

If he starts vs Wolves, can we expect Southgate to ostracise him from future squads? That's his excuse for not calling up Bertrand when he was England's only fit LB...

39 minutes ago, igsey said:

If he starts vs Wolves, can we expect Southgate to ostracise him from future squads? That's his excuse for not calling up Bertrand when he was England's only fit LB...

Guess that depends on whether he actually joined up with the squad or not. Was he sent home by England or did he withdraw before he headed from St George's? Haven't seen that detailed anywhere.

49 minutes ago, igsey said:

We're a top 4 club now so have a divine right to hold players back from England duty. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Dusic said:

Nor Walcott.

Walcott certainly took a few knocks in the Newcastle game, hand / arm strapped up and the challenge for what should have been a penalty.  Quite lucky that we haven't got a game this week.  

18 minutes ago, JRM said:

Walcott certainly took a few knocks in the Newcastle game, hand / arm strapped up and the challenge for what should have been a penalty.  Quite lucky that we haven't got a game this week.  

His hand is broken. Not sure if that will stop him playing.

2 hours ago, Shroppie said:

I think his "tight hamstring" seems to have made a miraculous recovery.

This. We've finally got a manager who's got the balls to play the 'big club' ruse of withdrawing a player who is "injured"

#probablyjustneededtorechargehisbatterries

Edited by trousers

JWP withdraws from England squad ...........its a friendly and wont get picked ahead of a fit Henderson a dreadful Dier and nor be ahead of dream duo partnership Mount and Rice,couple that with would he get a start ahead of Sancho, Grealish and where down the pecking order does that make him in Southgates idea?.....England waste of time ,.....CLUB or COUNTRY?...............................

with there being no internationals until March, you'd think thats the end of any chance JWP or Ings had of making the Euros squad gone. Personally think both should be there but Southgate has plenty of options at the bigger clubs. Ings is a far better all round striker than the likes of Abraham and Calvert-Lewin, but looks like they are currently ahead in the pecking order.

1 hour ago, Saint_Tony said:

with there being no internationals until March, you'd think thats the end of any chance JWP or Ings had of making the Euros squad gone. Personally think both should be there but Southgate has plenty of options at the bigger clubs. Ings is a far better all round striker than the likes of Abraham and Calvert-Lewin, but looks like they are currently ahead in the pecking order.

By March, Southgate may be gone so no problem.

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

By March, Southgate may be gone so no problem.

What makes you think that?...........tactically hes got a solid foundation of players to make us strong but, hes still even now trying to place players who for thier clubs play out of position for his team ...Our National team that ,well lets face it never turn up when required to and live upto our as fans overbloated desires .

6 hours ago, Weston Saint said:

Danny Ings - operation went well - now running - 4 weeks away from possible return

If that's from today we're back to the "worst case" of 6 weeks out rather than the 4 weeks looking likely earlier this week. Not sure this is good news, more what we were probably expecting.

14 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

If that's from today we're back to the "worst case" of 6 weeks out rather than the 4 weeks looking likely earlier this week. Not sure this is good news, more what we were probably expecting.

That's what I was thinking. We're already 3 weeks since the injury, if it's another 4 weeks then he'll miss quite a few games. 4 weeks seems a long time if he's running already. 

2 hours ago, JRM said:

That's what I was thinking. We're already 3 weeks since the injury, if it's another 4 weeks then he'll miss quite a few games. 4 weeks seems a long time if he's running already. 

Take it you have never had a knee operation? Even a routine one takes a bit of recovering from, let alone being back playing professional sport.

Partly physical, one thing running in a straight line, another entirely to twist and turn. Then also mentally to have full confidence in it.

If he is back playing by Boxing Day then thats a decent outcome, and nothing to suggest that won't be the case.

41 minutes ago, TWar said:

https://saintsmarching.com/2020/11/17/southampton-ings-return-action-saints-ahead-schedule/ Semmens said on TSP that he will be back in December and "10 days ahead of schedule". Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the bench against Brighton, maybe even united.

Without going all MLG, Semmens did not say Ings will be back 10 days ahead of schedule.