Injury Watch

Roger

38 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Sad but not a surprise with the set back. There seems little point rushing him back.  It will take him a while once hes back fit enough to train to get anywhere near match fitness.  Most logical right now, is leave him and give him full pre season.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, saintdaz said:

Does anyone know if Livramento will be back soon?

Haven't heard anything, which is usually not a good sign. He's no longer in the training pics.

He did have a set back, but I don't 'think' it was his knee. Whatever the outcome I'm fairly sure we won't see him this season.

22 hours ago, saintdaz said:

Does anyone know if Livramento will be back soon?

Strangely soon after you posted this there was a tweet quoting Alfie House (Echo), Tino "underwent small surgery after Christmas following that injury setback". Selles confirms he has no return date but is "much better". Doesn't expect him to join us soon but doesn't know exactly the time. 

5 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Wonder how long Charley will be out for as could hardly walk on the pitch at end - ban knee slides!

I couldn’t agree more. I had a few nasty knee injuries when I used to play and it makes me cringe every time I see a player do this. Why risk buggering up your knee(s) celebrating a goal? The last thing we need is a self inflicted injury keeping a key player out right now. You get booked for taking off your shirt yet it is ok for multi million pound athletes to risk damaging ligaments with crazy knee slides.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I couldn’t agree more. I had a few nasty knee injuries when I used to play and it makes me cringe every time I see a player do this. Why risk buggering up your knee(s) celebrating a goal? The last thing we need is a self inflicted injury keeping a key player out right now. You get booked for taking off your shirt yet it is ok for multi million pound athletes to risk damaging ligaments with crazy knee slides.

Many years ago one of the places that I used to play Sunday football was Riverside Park. Just under the playing surface were loads of small pebbles and flints. If you ever went sliding on your knees it would take your skin off almost down to the bone. I found out years later that the land was all reclaimed partly using rubble from the blitz.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Wonder how long Charley will be out for as could hardly walk on the pitch at end - ban knee slides!

I wouldn't be surprised if it's his season over. Looks like ligament damage which at best will be weeks but could be many months. So frustrating as we look better with him in the side. 

4 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

It’s bonkers surely they and the clubs know the risks it’s not like he is the first player to ruin a knee doing it.  What’s wrong with the wheel away with your arm in the air celebration!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Many years ago one of the places that I used to play Sunday football was Riverside Park. Just under the playing surface were loads of small pebbles and flints. If you ever went sliding on your knees it would take your skin off almost down to the bone. I found out years later that the land was all reclaimed partly using rubble from the blitz.

I started playing football for Tyro side Warsash Wasps. Their original ground on Church Road used to be an old strawberry field. We used to spend about half an hour before every single game picking up stones. Pretty much every game you came away with some sort of cut. It makes me wince just thinking about the possibility of a knee slide to celebrate a goal.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jawillwill said:

Almost certain we won't see him on the pitch again this season, unfortunately. 

I'm not certain like you, but wouldn't be surprised.  The pain he seemed to be in, not just when he went down, but at the end of the game points to ligament damage and that's obviously very bad news.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I'm not certain like you, but wouldn't be surprised.  The pain he seemed to be in, not just when he went down, but at the end of the game points to ligament damage and that's obviously very bad news.

Makes you wonder why they let him play on and then strap him up for the second half. Very strange not to get him off and get some ice on it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chez said:

I started playing football for Tyro side Warsash Wasps. Their original ground on Church Road used to be an old strawberry field. We used to spend about half an hour before every single game picking up stones. Pretty much every game you came away with some sort of cut. It makes me wince just thinking about the possibility of a knee slide to celebrate a goal.

Ah the good old days - I was there when they were formed - our 1st two games we lost 21nil and then 19nil 

set me up perfectly for a life of supporting saints

Edited by richardc
  • Like 2

On 06/03/2023 at 19:59, richardc said:

Ah the good old days - I was there when they were formed - our 1st two games we lost 21nil and then 19nil 

set me up perfectly for a life of supporting saints

Would that have been late 70s???

As sadly we put double figures past Warsash Wasps a few times! Remember one game we went 1-0 down but won 12+ - 1

57 minutes ago, um pahars said:

Would that have been late 70s???

As sadly we put double figures past Warsash Wasps a few times! Remember one game we went 1-0 down but won 12+ - 1

yeah would be been lol - makes it sound really old

hope your not Sarisbury Sparks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

YOUNG, TALENTED ..BUT  INJURED.

Despite buying many good young talents during the last year or so , the fact remains that the stress of playing in the

World's toughest league has proven to be a huge challenge for those who had previously been playing  in the country's

best / better U21 set-ups where they looked like world-beaters. The reality is that the Prem. has taken its toll of their

young bodies  and it has taken a very long time for some of them to recover anything like full match fitness. 

Looking back to the Broja loan, we saw a great half-season from him, but by Christmas every Prem. club had " sussed him out " 

and the subsequent ankle-taps and crude challenges  made it hard for him to recover from injury and he was next to useless

as a lone striker in the back half of the season. His short-lived career back at Chelsea was cut short with a serious (ACL ? ) injury.

Since when Saints have seen Livramento, Larios (..who?) .. Lavia, and ABK (twice) out of contention for weeks at a time, in part

because their young bodies don't stand up the the intense pressure of playing at the top level. 

Larios' last Prem. app. ( in October ) came before an injury lay-off and his return to playing lasted just 9 minutes with a recent

B team match before he was subbed off again with an injury. 

As a comparison those greater talents we had 6-8 years ago (during Koeman's time) meant that Prowsey spent several seasons

where he made fewer starts than he had in sub. apps.   In time, (after Stephen Davis left) he became a natural replacement, and  

his " measured development "  has since proven him to be one of the fittest / most consistent players in the entire league. 

It isn't just a lack of dependable, experienced players around them that is the problem for our young starlets, but their still-developing

young physiques that are taking the stress when coming up against international opponents in every game, and not making any progress.

In a year or two, many will have developed into excellent players and depending on  where they are /and where Saints are will decide 

whether their early sojourns in the Prem. were... a bonus, or a handicap, and on their recovery from injuries they encountered along the way. 

Edited by david in sweden
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

As a postscript to my post (above)

Once again... Bella-Kotchap was injured on Monday night and had to leave the field .... for the 5th time this season.

No-one doubts this lad's effort, or endeavour  but  clearly he is not physically prepared for life in the Prem. where 

he often comes off second-best in challenges and hefty tackles.  Although technically he is no longer  "a teenager"

like others in his generation he has not fully developed the physicality that is vital for someone in a CB role in the Prem.

Unfortunately, he is not alone in our youthful squad.  We recall Broja's fantastic start last season, which petered out after 

he got battered in the latter half of the campaign....  and we are still awaiting Tino LIvramento's return to the first team.

After a great start  Lavia was injured in game 4  and didn't return for 10 games,  and young LB  Larios (injured in November)

hasn't started a Prem. game since,  and Edozie  (injured on Dec. 31st  at Fulham)... hasn't started regularly since that date.

All players get knocks periodically, but those " more mature " are often back in action after 1-2 weeks, but younger bodies 

take longer to heal, and the stark difference between a " tackle-free life "  in  B team games  is also psychologically challenging.

Everyone has rightly noted some individual talents, but a full 38 game Prem. season is tough enough, but we should not forget

that Championship sides play 46 league game .. plus cup matches .. and it will demand an awful lot of our younger recruits.

Many of them will need to build up their strength and "muscle-mass " in order to withstand the rigours of  "men's football". 

Most of our youngsters will surely develop into fine players - in a few years time, but the club's real mistake was not in buying  

so many promising talents, but the reliance on their youth - without the guidance of a few more "older heads " around them. 

Edited by david in sweden

The ABK injury is an interesting one. He's been one of the brighter points in a turgid season despite his injury issues and though he had a poor game against Forest until his injury, he does have a bright future and he was one of the players we'd expect would leave this summer. But with the injury for at least a couple of months and repeat other injuries, it does make me wonder whether anyone would take a punt on him for the money we'd want for him. We'll likely have Stephens and Bednarek staying this summer, personally I think DCC and Lyanco might even stay, so if ABK does stay I'd say that's a full complement of CBs we wouldn't need to bring another in. 

Just a thought.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SNSUN said:

The ABK injury is an interesting one. He's been one of the brighter points in a turgid season despite his injury issues and though he had a poor game against Forest until his injury, he does have a bright future and he was one of the players we'd expect would leave this summer. But with the injury for at least a couple of months and repeat other injuries, it does make me wonder whether anyone would take a punt on him for the money we'd want for him. We'll likely have Stephens and Bednarek staying this summer, personally I think DCC and Lyanco might even stay, so if ABK does stay I'd say that's a full complement of CBs we wouldn't need to bring another in. 

Just a thought.

Fair points there 🤔

21 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Just a thought.

Mr Grant on TSP said he’s had to be subbed 4 times this season with injuries in the first half of games. That’s unlucky but also ridiculous.

If he can’t handle 38 games a season, he sure as hell isn’t handling 46 games in the Championship.

Call me old fashioned, but we need a solid and very dependable CB pairing next season. Don’t really recall Hooiveld or Fonte missing many games in that promotion season, we can’t be swapping between 4-5 CB’s throughout the season and expecting any sort of cohesion, this season has proven that. We need a partnership and consistency.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2023 at 13:14, davefizzy14 said:

Great to have Tino back fit and in the squad 🙂

........well fit enough to play for 30 minutes anyway. 

It' still a long way back to be first choice on the team sheet.      Hopefully he'll be able to build more on his fitness with a good pre-season.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Interested in any updates on the following injuries pl

1. Bella Kotcha
2. Larios.
3. Ballard.
4. Peraud.
5. Sulemana. (if he is indeed injured)
6. Livramento (has be passed his Newcastle medical?)
7. And is Tall Paul still alive and 'kicking'?

Bella-Kotchap and Larios were back on the pitch training with the first team in the build up to Sheffied Wednesday. Perraud has been back longer. Ballard picked up a knock early in pre season but is fit again and has had a couple of run outs in U21 matches.

Mara was a fitness doubt who only returned to training a day or two before Friday's game.

Sulemana was ruled out in advance, with the manager saying:

“I’ve not seen him on the training pitch very much, unfortunately. He went away with Ghana in the summer, played a bit of football so came back a little bit later, and he’s picked up a small injury.

“It’s not a major one, but it would be madness to rush him back for the first game and compromise anything else.

“He’s a young man with huge potential, and hopefully he’ll be involved very soon. He’s probably a week or two behind the others in terms of what his injury is.”

• Like 2

On 18/08/2023 at 11:18, Lighthouse said:

RM seems to have different info from a random bloke on Twitter, seems to think it’s not long term, he’ll miss this weekend and then take it one day at a time. So hard to know who to believe…

A Manager saying an injury is "short term" just before the transfer window shuts, is different from a manager saying an injury is "short term" after the window closes.

ie. You dont want other clubs know you may need to get an extra player in.

Edited by Nolan
  • Confused 1