Internationals

Edmonton Saint

I watched Ireland and Scotland's matches at home, Bosnia v Wales in a pub in Nottingham and haven't seen a second of Lithuania v England even now. It was the very definition of pointless. I do hope Steve Grant enjoyed his trip though, the daft sod.

Mind you, I was in Nottinghamshire for two League Two matches... :o

Former England captain Terry Butcher was sacked by comfortably-bottom-of-League-Two Newport County two weeks ago, just to give a modern perspective on how well-qualified he is to be having an opinion on this stuff nowadays.

One of my pet hates is ****ing Terry ( I wore a headband covered in blood ) Buthcher . The bloke is a complete plum , he's Arry Redknapp with a blood soaked headband . Bloke slagged Sven and other managers whilst failing at every club he's been at and his bitterness at Maradonas handball is embarrassing . Two words that sum up England's shortcomings the past 20 years are Terry & Butcher . Although he is a "terrific skipper "

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

I think boredom and complacency has been a problem for some bigger nations. These campaigns are slightly ridiculous. Or extremely ridiculous. How can you make serious top level footballers play San Marino, Gibraltar etc? It's futile, and not in the least bit entertaining.

This. How about 7 groups of 5 teams, top 2 from each group qualify, plus some 3rd place playoff spots to make up the numbers. The groups consist of the top ranked European teams, plus one wild card (who have to win a preliminary knockout with the rest of the lower ranked crap to qualify for the last spot in one of the groups).

This. How about 7 groups of 5 teams, top 2 from each group qualify, plus some 3rd place playoff spots to make up the numbers. The groups consist of the top ranked European teams, plus one wild card (who have to win a preliminary knockout with the rest of the lower ranked crap to qualify for the last spot in one of the groups).

It should be something like this, maybe a bit the Davis Cup thrown in where the smaller nations have to qualify for the qualification groups proper.

But won't happen, yet - the FA need to pay for Wembley and can still sell 70k tickets for pointless qualifiers against no marks. Ditto other nations who want a fat calendar of fixtures.

One day the powerful club bloc might smash it, but feels a way off.

It should be something like this, maybe a bit the Davis Cup thrown in where the smaller nations have to qualify for the qualification groups proper.

But won't happen, yet - the FA need to pay for Wembley and can still sell 70k tickets for pointless qualifiers against no marks. Ditto other nations who want a fat calendar of fixtures.

One day the powerful club bloc might smash it, but feels a way off.

when the draw for the world cup qualifiers was made, was it that england HAD to be in a larger group for that for exactly the reasons you say???

when the draw for the world cup qualifiers was made, was it that england HAD to be in a larger group for that for exactly the reasons you say???

For broadcasting rather than gate receipts but yeah, basically. Us and Germany/Italy/Spain have to be in bigger groups for the pan-European TV deal that was agreed.

Virgil's had a bit of a 'mare but that Dutch midfield is non-existent both in defence and on the ball. Might be a better second half now Czechs are down to ten and Van Perdue is on.

I hope Virgil gets a goal because this has been horrible for him so far!

One of the best strikers in the world. According to a couple on here

One person said...

If you had to name the top ten players who are most like Pelle in world football I doubt Pelle would be anywhere lower than top 5...Zlatan would be #1 but who else is 6ft 4" and as good as him?

And you've managed to twist it to "one of the best strikers in the world". He was talking solely about target man strikers, not all strikers.

I don't think its unreasonable to think Pelle starting now regularly for Italy would rank highly among other target man strikers currently in world football. How many can you name that would do a target man role better?

One person said...

And you've managed to twist it to "one of the best strikers in the world". He was talking solely about target man strikers, not all strikers.

I don't think its unreasonable to think Pelle starting now regularly for Italy would rank highly among other target man strikers currently in world football. How many can you name that would do a target man role better?

Don't bother. He's a plum and everyone knows it.

One person said...

Got to love saints web

From being the best club outside of the top 4 (when in league 1) to kelvin Davis for England to VvD being the best defender we have had in 15 years (after 5 games) to pelle being one of the best forwards of his genre in world football.

Off the top of my head, here are few

Zlatan

Liorente

Benteke

Giroud

Benzema

Diego Costa

Lewondowski

Mandzukic

Lukaku

Got to love saints web

From being the best club outside of the top 4 (when in league 1) to kelvin Davis for England to VvD being the best defender we have had in 15 years (after 5 games) to pelle being one of the best forwards of his genre in world football.

Off the top of my head, here are few

Zlatan

Liorente

Benteke

Giroud

Benzema

Diego Costa

Lewondowski

Mandzukic

Lukaku

Football fans thinking their players are the best, what has this world come to.