Internationals

Edmonton Saint

Any news on Longs injury? People can make sarcastic comments all they like, he's proven to be a valuable member of the squad these last two seasons and improved the technical side of his game massively. Let's not forget he got both goals in a 2-0 win in this fixture last season.

Any news on Longs injury? People can make sarcastic comments all they like, he's proven to be a valuable member of the squad these last two seasons and improved the technical side of his game massively. Let's not forget he got both goals in a 2-0 win in this fixture last season.

Looked innocuous to me, hopefully just a knock.

Woy will not play Bertrand tonight, it will be Gibbs or somebody like that, as well as one or two others from the second string.

He may do. He's sent home those not playing so they can rest for the weekend (that's the "big club" players, obviously)

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

He may do. He's sent home those not playing so they can rest for the weekend (that's the "big club" players, obviously)

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Yes, Gibbs is from a big club, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's protected. Let's hope Ryan doesn't play, it would be madness if he does.

So there's a good chance he will.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/13840942.Southampton_s_Bertrand_determined_to_seize_England_chance/?ref=mac

Yes, Gibbs is from a big club, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's protected. Let's hope Ryan doesn't play, it would be madness if he does.

So there's a good chance he will.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/13840942.Southampton_s_Bertrand_determined_to_seize_England_chance/?ref=mac

Crazy to my mind but Hodgson does appear to be pandering to the big clubs & will force Ryan to play 2 games in a handful of days so soon after his return to fitness rather than play Gibbs.

Crazy to my mind but Hodgson does appear to be pandering to the big clubs & will force Ryan to play 2 games in a handful of days so soon after his return to fitness rather than play Gibbs.

That is ironic, since the big clubs don't want their players to play in internationals in case they get injured.

Good news, Ryan is indeed on the bench.

Former England captain Terry Butcher has agreed with Roy Hodgson's decision to make so many changes in Lithuania tonight.

"This is the one game he could have experimented in and given other players a chance," Butcher told Sky Sports News.

In particular, Butcher is happy to see Stoke City goalkeeper Jack Butland given his first competitive start for his country.

"It is important as you never know what may happen to Joe Hart," he added.

:mcinnes: I'm sure Stoke fans will be delighted to know that Butland will start, in order to protect Hart from doing a Krul on the artificial turf.

:mcinnes: I'm sure Stoke fans will be delighted to know that Butland will start, in order to protect Hart from doing a Krul on the artificial turf.

I've heard this sort of thing a lot about the artificial turf but it's not as if players legs are falling off in every game. Seems like every time there is an injury on one of these pitches, the astro-grass gets blamed. If it was that bad we wouldn't be playing on them, as it happens I doubt they are any more risky than pitches which are too cold/hard, too wet, too dry, too lumpy, grass too long etc.

Glad Bert isn't playing anyway, grass or no grass. Would be sod's law for our only competent LB to get injured in a meaningless game.

Former England captain Terry Butcher has agreed with Roy Hodgson's decision to make so many changes in Lithuania tonight.

"This is the one game he could have experimented in and given other players a chance," Butcher told Sky Sports News.

In particular, Butcher is happy to see Stoke City goalkeeper Jack Butland given his first competitive start for his country.

Where does Butcher say that Roy is, or should be, playing Butland in order to stop Hart getting injured on the artificial turf? It's not in the quote you've posted.

It such a boring meaningless game that I gave up watching it at 1-0. Glenda banging on how wonderful Kane is. Tylsley taking utter shït as usual. ITV is so poor with its pundits.

Glenda did grate a bit, he said something all positive sounding surrounding prep for his WC in management which left you thinking as a Saints fan "yes but the most feared midfielder in the land spanked in a hat trick in such a weighing up your options game and you left him out in the cold".

I wonder if roy will have the balls to drop rooney.?

rooney has been terrible for england for a long time and is now appalling for united.

how he keeps his place in both sides is just weird

I think a lot depends on whether Walcott can sustain his form, Kane improve his league form and Sturridge stay fit. Obviously if Rooney has an upturn he will definitely stay in, but would definitely be interesting if these three put real pressure on Rooney.

He keeps his place for Utd because they don't have many options.

Can't see Woy ever dropping Rooney, he'll be first name on the team sheet in the Euros as long as he's fit and Hodgson's still in charge.

On the BBC Sport website they've asked six 'experts' to pick their starting line-ups for the summer tournament. Stones is in at right back in two of them in favour of Clyne, Kane and Oxlade-Chamberlain are only in one, Wilshere is in all of them somehow, and Michael Carrick is in all but two. Lallana doesn't get a look in, and despite the article lamenting the lack of holding midfielders for England, Cork still gets no mention.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34506013

What a boring match! And can somebody kindly explain how the likes of Walker, Jones, Gibbs, Shelvey, Vardy, Ali and Townsend get to put on England shirts, even of they are perceived to be second string?

Walker and Gibbs carried a fraction of the threat out wide that Clyne and Bertrand had in the previous game. As such, a lot of the play had to go down the middle, where there were lots of misplaced passes and cheap loss of possession. Barkley and Lallana acquitted themselves well enough, but Shelvey and Vardy produced very little of note, Vardy in particular showing a very poor first touch more than once when he hit the ball too far ahead and out of play. The Lithuanians were fairly solid in midfield, but a better team with good strikers would have torn apart our defence.

Without trying to sound demeaning to anyone but I wish we could get excited about qualifying for a world cup or the euros. I enjoyed flicking between watching our S.a.S scoring for their respective Ireland's a hell of a lot more than watching the last 2 England games and the Atmospheres at all the other British (and Ireland) home games have been bouncing at times !

Former England captain Terry Butcher was sacked by comfortably-bottom-of-League-Two Newport County two weeks ago, just to give a modern perspective on how well-qualified he is to be having an opinion on this stuff nowadays.

Without trying to sound demeaning to anyone but I wish we could get excited about qualifying for a world cup or the euros. I enjoyed flicking between watching our S.a.S scoring for their respective Ireland's a hell of a lot more than watching the last 2 England games and the Atmospheres at all the other British (and Ireland) home games have been bouncing at times !

You can, all you've got to do is be a tangibly much worse team which struggles to qualify. FWIW 1997's draw in Italy to get to France '98 was much more exciting even as a dire 0-0 draw because of the stakes, but how was 2007's defeat to Croatia on the "excited to qualify" scale?

Don't worry, they're building up to it.

+1

I fell asleep during the first game (was it vs Latvia?) and didn't bother watching the Lithuania game more than for a few minutes while I made some food. When we scored, I didn't even bother leave what I was doing to watch the replay. I am sure that part of it is because UEFA have made most of the qualifiers excruciatingly boring by having a record 53 teams in the qualifiers and increasing the number of teams that qualify for the finals (24).

Then you look at the players and management and they are enough to send you to sleep. What has changed since the WC in Brazil? Nothing . We were **** there, and we'll be **** at the Euros. So what that we won all 10 games? The only team of any consequence was Switzerland, although we tried our hardest to **** it up against Slovenia.

I really haven't bothered watching any of the games. I use it as an excuse to get away from the Mrs, so I guess it is useful. But it's rather like F1. Jazz it up as much as you like, it's still ****ing boring and if I am going to watch it, it will be on in the background while I do something less boring instead. What a sad state of affairs the game is in at the moment, where a regular attendee of league/cup games at club level is happy to abandon the national side through boredom. Well done UEFA. Well done FA.