Internationals

Edmonton Saint

So, looking at the table again (if the BBC are up to speed) the Dutch have to win and hope Turkey don't.?

Netherlands needs to win and Turkey lose, I think. If Turkey gets a point the Dutch will be out on head to head.

I'm sure our Dutch friends will correct me if I'm wrong.

Has VVD only just made his International debut then? For some reason, I thought, when we signed him, that he was a regular in the Dutch squad.

VVD was tested a couple of times but every time he was dismissed as the managers weren't convinced of his abilities. Stefan de Vrij got injured so VVD got another chance and he played a solid game though it was only Kazachstan we were playing... The idiot manager Danny Blind said after the game that VVD is making progress now he is playing in the PL, as if a couple of games in the PL is making the difference.

Did anyone watch the Italy game? Just wondered how Pelle played. I see he got a full 90 minutes.

He didn't score but his hold up play and general strength up front was excellent. The commentators weer raving about the partnership formed between him and Eder. I think Conti likes Pelle very much.

Who do they play last? Turkey???

If not, they are screwed

Yup, we're screwed as Turkey won't lose at home against Iceland next tuesday. But to be honest, Holland doesn't deserve it's place at the EC as we're just not good enough anymore. We've had our spell for a couple of decades in which we could rely on the exceptional talents of the likes of Cruyff, van Hanegem, Gullit, van Basten, Bergkamp etc and also on the great tactical insight and technical skills of our players. Though we came in second and third in the last two WC's it was clear Holland wasn't able to play their usual attractive football based on talent and tactical skills anymore, our game became very poor to look at. With Sneijder, van Persie and Robben nearing the end of their careers we don't have any players left at the moment who are able to reach their level so we're in for a long time of gloom. Players like Depay, Wijnaldum, Clasie do have talent off course but they aren't exceptional good. Luckily we have some great ex-players and coaches who sound the alarm bells (like Koeman did last week at a gathering of Dutch coaches) and urge for changes in our youth education. So one day we will bounce back!

Edited by van Hanegem

fookin depressing reading some of this cack. England 100% record in qualifiers still not good enough, yet people know we aren't the best, whilst also spouting that our players are ****e compared to other 'top nations'. Can't win either way.

No doubt that if we win the Euros (i know its very very doubtful) these same mugs will lap it all in, although they were not really supporting the nation team at all due in the qualifiers due to them being 'boring' over the last few years.

Could be worse, Aussies lost to the giants of Jordan in a qualifier the other day, if only we had their 'passion' they show during the finals ...

Honestly? Did you watch the game - yes we won but had we played a decent team we would have been ripped to pieces. We will not progress past the next stage IMHO - beating poor teams is one thing (Swiss were by far the strongest next team, so enough said. Woy is clueless and the sooner we ditch him the better.

Honestly? Did you watch the game - yes we won but had we played a decent team we would have been ripped to pieces. We will not progress past the next stage IMHO - beating poor teams is one thing (Swiss were by far the strongest next team, so enough said. Woy is clueless and the sooner we ditch him the better.

Woy is a load of schitt.

When a tournament comes along he plays the ones who are out of touch and we get rolled over by good football teams.

It's a shame really because we have the players but a cart horse manager that does not have a friggin clue.

New format has been surprisingly entertaining but let's face it qualification is formality for any half decent side. France is going to be same with 6 groups of 4 whittled down to 16. So only 8 teams to go out in the group stage. Still more games to watch at least.

Far cry from Euro 88 with only 8 teams qualifying.

fookin depressing reading some of this cack. England 100% record in qualifiers still not good enough, yet people know we aren't the best, whilst also spouting that our players are ****e compared to other 'top nations'. Can't win either way.

No doubt that if we win the Euros (i know its very very doubtful) these same mugs will lap it all in, although they were not really supporting the nation team at all due in the qualifiers due to them being 'boring' over the last few years.

Could be worse, Aussies lost to the giants of Jordan in a qualifier the other day, if only we had their 'passion' they show during the finals ...

I think most England football fans would willingly trade a 100% record for progressive performances that develop the team to a point where we can go into a tournament and challenge the big boys. We have seen it all before, we qualify by beating the minnows by the odd goal and then get slaughtered in the tournament.

Roy is past his sell by date.

Yup, we're screwed as Turkey won't lose at home against Iceland next tuesday. But to be honest, Holland doesn't deserve it's place at the EC as we're just not good enough anymore. We've had our spell for a couple of decades in which we could rely on the exceptional talents of the likes of Cruyff, van Hanegem, Gullit, van Basten, Bergkamp etc and also on the great tactical insight and technical skills of our players. Though we came in second and third in the last two WC's it was clear Holland wasn't able to play their usual attractive football based on talent and tactical skills anymore, our game became very poor to look at. With Sneijder, van Persie and Robben nearing the end of their careers we don't have any players left at the moment who are able to reach their level so we're in for a long time of gloom. Players like Depay, Wijnaldum, Clasie do have talent off course but they aren't exceptional good. Luckily we have some great ex-players and coaches who sound the alarm bells (like Koeman did last week at a gathering of Dutch coaches) and urge for changes in our youth education. So one day we will bounce back!

Welcome to our world of gloom,mediocrity, and expectation of failure.

We've had much the same since about 1990 to be honest, although we did have a momentary flirtation with possible success in 1996 (although memories of that are perhaps only rose tinted because of our demolition of Holland 4-1, and the crowd singing football's coming home ad nauseum).

Okay our results are excellent in qualifying, but we all know that will flatter to deceive and we'll underperform when on the big stage, probably going out on a penalty shoot out at quarter final stage.

You'll have to join us as an armchair follower Van Hamegam.

I'm sorry the Dutch probably won't be there. For me, remembering your total football years , one of the teams I look forward to seeing are your lot. And the other feature worth watching out for are some of the Dutch women in the crowds along with the Swedes, and even Germans... (Brazil in the WC can be added to that list of course).

I think most England football fans would willingly trade a 100% record for progressive performances that develop the team to a point where we can go into a tournament and challenge the big boys. We have seen it all before, we qualify by beating the minnows by the odd goal and then get slaughtered in the tournament.

Roy is past his sell by date.

But a really sad indictment of English football is the lack of a genuine contender to replace him.

'arry ? Fat Sam ? Steve Bruce ? Gareth Southgate ?

Whatever happened to those who were 'destined' to manage England one day, David Platte, and Bryan Robson ?

Depressing really.

But a really sad indictment of English football is the lack of a genuine contender to replace him.

'arry ? Fat Sam ? Steve Bruce ? Gareth Southgate ?

Whatever happened to those who were 'destined' to manage England one day, David Platte, and Bryan Robson ?

Depressing really.

The candidates are

1. Go English - right now the only genuine contender is Pardew, and he will need to finish top ten and a have reasonable cup run this season. Maybe Garry Monk.

2. The skip-a-generation contender. The give it to Gary Neville and hope route.

3. Carlo Ancelotti.

4. Cave in to Talk Sport and appoint a top, top, top manager. Kevin Bond putting the cones out. Triffic.

We've had much the same since about 1990 to be honest, although we did have a momentary flirtation with possible success in 1996 (although memories of that are perhaps only rose tinted because of our demolition of Holland 4-1, and the crowd singing football's coming home ad nauseum).

Okay our results are excellent in qualifying, but we all know that will flatter to deceive and we'll underperform when on the big stage, probably going out on a penalty shoot out at quarter final stage.

I'm sorry the Dutch probably won't be there. For me, remembering your total football years , one of the teams I look forward to seeing are your lot. And the other feature worth watching out for are some of the Dutch women in the crowds along with the Swedes, and even Germans... (Brazil in the WC can be added to that list of course).

Pundits over here say England doesn't and won't play an important role at the WC or EC anymore because of all the foreigners playing in the PL. English talents don't stand a chance to get experience at the highest level, playing european games with the big clubs and so on. I guess these pundits do have a point but on the other hand England do have some great talents like Barkley and Ramsey right? At Vitesse Arnhem there is an English loanee from Chelsea called Solanke, just 18 years old but it would surprise me if he won't make it to the top, this boy shows real potential...

As for the Dutch: I'm not worried that we're out for such a long time as England has thus far. Zhe Germanz are a rolemodel for us, when the German FA realised it was all going wrong they changed policies. They came over to Holland and learned about the way we educate and develop our youth players (technical and tactical skills) and they added this knowledge to their existing programs (organisation, defending and fysical skills). It took them 10 years but see where they are now... I guess Spain is the only country which might keep them off the title and their national team is young enough to reign at the WC in 2018 too. Holland will have to look at how the Germans altered things, starting with special attention on defending (as every Dutch team is always focussed on attacking, defenders are looked upon with some disdain) and fysical programs (Jordy Clasie is a good example of lacking the fysical abilities needed these days). But first things must break down, beginning with failing to qualify for the EC which should lead to some changes in the top of the Dutch FA which failed to see that Holland is getting behind...

But I'll sit in my armchair hoping to see some good football from Germany, Spain and an outsider like Belgium. And hopefully from England too! :)

Edited by van Hanegem

He didn't score but his hold up play and general strength up front was excellent. The commentators weer raving about the partnership formed between him and Eder. I think Conti likes Pelle very much.

Thanks. That's good to hear. Seems like he has played his way into being a regular starter for them now.

Pundits over here say England doesn't and won't play an important role at the WC or EC anymore because of all the foreigners playing in the PL. English talents don't stand a chance to get experience at the highest level, playing european games with the big clubs and so on. I guess these pundits do have a point but on the other hand England do have some great talents like Barkley and Ramsey right?

Ramsey is Welsh.

I must say the Dutch have had a better run of it than we have. Hell, they've finished 2nd and 3rd in the last couple of World Cups. England are unique in their terrible-ness despite having, in theory, all that you need to do reasonably well at a sport (popularity/cultural importance/decent population size)

I must say the Dutch have had a better run of it than we have. Hell, they've finished 2nd and 3rd in the last couple of World Cups. England are unique in their terrible-ness despite having, in theory, all that you need to do reasonably well at a sport (popularity/cultural importance/decent population size)

I guess it is strange that a rather small country like Holland did well for a long time, on the other hand we do have great facilities for kids to play football. In every hamlet there is a football club and many times more than one, for each age (starting at 4 years old) there is a competition in which a team plays at least 18 games a year and in addition there are tournaments (cups, friendlies etc.) and many amateur clubs invest in special training sessions. Out of a population of 17 million, the Dutch FA has 1.2 million active members so there is a rich source to pull from. The problem is that too many kids get too pampered these days by there parents and don't have the stamina to overcome difficulties to get ahead. They rather choose something else to do instead...

Ok, thanks for the correction. Could you tell me who are the biggest talents in England at the moment, the ones that will probably make it to the top?

Off the top of my head:

Shaw, Barkley, Sterling, Kane, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Stones, Chambers, Berahino, James Ward-Prowse...

These are players who are 22 or less who could make it to the top (some have). I've defined top as playing regular Champions League football.

Hopefully Prowsey with us! ;)

Haven't supported England since the B-Team game with Le Tiss. Never been so angry that a guy scoring a hat-trick in a match designed to catch the eye of the first team,was treated so poorly.. And England have won **** all since, so Le Tissier couldn't have done any worse..

The one I remember was, I think, his full debut (?) but I could be wrong. What I remember for sure is that he played particularly well, and came the closest to scoring with a trademark dipping shot from 40 yards, beating the keeper and skimming the bar. England were absolute cack that night apart from le tiss, but the other thing I recall is the crowd getting on his back when he chose to jump out of the way of an absolute leg breaker of a tackle, in his own half, rather than take the injury like a man. I can honestly say that's when I ceased to be interested in the national team.

Off the top of my head:

Shaw, Barkley, Sterling, Kane, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Stones, Chambers, Berahino, James Ward-Prowse...

These are players who are 22 or less who could make it to the top (some have). I've defined top as playing regular Champions League football.

Hopefully Prowsey with us! ;)

Thanks nta, I will add Solanke to your list as I have seen him play over here in Holland for Vitesse. It was only a few times but enough to see his potential, I'll eat my clog when he's not the center forward of England in three years time... ;)