Jordy Clasie - Joins AZ (Official)

Saint Charlie

I'd have hoped the club would have told Liverpool that if they want VVD then they have to take Clasie first. He could come as the makeweight similarly to how the Lambert\Lallana deal panned out.

For Liverpool Clasie would then be there to compete with Lucas as the shortest pile of crap in the clubs history so IMHO a good move all round.

Strange to think of the excitement when he signed, new Schneiderlin etc. Wasn't there a poll where 70-80% voted him our signing of the summer over Van Dijk, Romeu and Cedric?

I'd be interested to see how he got on if he chose to stay in England and sign for a bottom half team.

Strange to think of the excitement when he signed, new Schneiderlin etc. Wasn't there a poll where 70-80% voted him our signing of the summer over Van Dijk, Romeu and Cedric?

I'd be interested to see how he got on if he chose to stay in England and sign for a bottom half team.

The classic everyone else is a ***t saintsweb post.

Had hoped for more from him. Wish him all the best.

Never seemed to quite get as stuck in as his write-ups suggested. And always seemed to need an inhaler around the 70 minute mark. Shame as there's a good player in there. Perhaps Koeman might be interested...?

Never seemed to quite get as stuck in as his write-ups suggested. And always seemed to need an inhaler around the 70 minute mark. Shame as there's a good player in there. Perhaps Koeman might be interested...?

Out of interest, can anyone explain to me why some players can't last 90 minutes these days?

They all seem to be super-fit athletes with detailed exercise programmes, thoroughly researched diets for their home lives as well as at training etc. Does it just come down to genetics?

I think he's a player who needs a run of games to reach match sharpness and he has never had that !

From the first minute I saw him, I always thought he wasn't physically cut out for the premier league. In his first appearance for Saints (cant remember if it was a friendly or a Euro qualifier) he looked miles off the pace and too lightweight.

He's a tidy footballer, would suit the Italian league. His replacement, Lemina, looks allot more physically suited to the premier league so no surprise.

All the best to him.

Certainly an inevitability about this move. I always wanted him to do well, but remember our Dutch friends wondering about his physical attributes in the Prem being an issue. I wasn't just his stature that was an issue, it was more his cardio levels. We never seemed to improve them over time either.

I expect to see him do well in Spain or Italy, maybe even Turkey or Germany. Hopefully he gets a permanent move.

After scoring that cracking long range goal last season he must have expected to be given more of a chance but I think he was dropped for the next game. Not sure if Lemina is really a like for like player but can't dispute that overall we do have surplus in midfield and Lemina improves the balance between defence and attack. With Davis, JWP and Højbjerg to compete with his chances of a place do look limited. Tend to agree that a move would be in Jordy's own best interests as well as creating a space in the squad.

Edited by Professor

• 2 weeks later...

I thought he was ok last season, but its quite clear that to operate in that area of the pitch in this league you either need to be elite technically or physically strong. I don't think he is either so moving on is best I think. I would disagree he is backup for Romeu on that basis.

I'd have thought he could do better than Brugge though, and a permanent move would have been better as well.

Possibly, might end up his best position as I can't see him being a CB as he refuses to head the ball. The problem is we don't have any non-PL games until January to experiment with this.

Could be like Eric Dier. Could experiment in the Watford or Palace games. For example in the second half with a tactical/substitution change.

Edit: his lack of appearances wasn't down to have bonuses to [ay Feyenoord. All the bonuses have been paid already (3 million euros), it does make you wonder what targets were planned for those bonuses...

it certainly does. Maybe the whole thing was base don him managing to keep the grade 2 in check throughout the entire contract period?

He's taller than N'Golo Kanté

but about five times slower and a hundred times less effective.

Poor signing and although it will sound harsh, I am bloody pleased we have finally seen that and attempted to upgrade. It's far better that than just keeping him here and waiting for his contract to run out before bringing someone new in.

Poor signing and although it will sound harsh, I am bloody pleased we have finally seen that and attempted to upgrade. It's far better that than just keeping him here and waiting for his contract to run out before bringing someone new in.

I agree - nice to see the club clearing some of the fringe players. We have been stock piling average players and selling the best ones for too long. This summer (new owners) and hopefully a new ambition

He is a really good player who has been totally underused since he joined. In the few opportunities he has been given, he has always put in a decent shift. He has a powerful and accurate shot on him, and I feel he could have been a key player for us given the chance.

He is a really average player (relatively speaking) who was given plenty of chances since he joined. In all those opportunities, he didn't do enough for me. He was slow, didn't cover nearly enough ground or put pressure on opponents, get goal side enough even, he was lightweight, didn't win any headers, dominate the centre in any way or indeed do a great deal with the ball. He has the first touch to play at a decent level, no doubt about that, but the game went on around him far too much. He scored a couple of times, but I feel that he would never be a key player, so good news that we are parting ways. Hopefully whoever gets his squad place is better. No certainties of course.

I do have a heart, but if we are simply evaluating the player on his performance, this is my assessment.

Out of interest, can anyone explain to me why some players can't last 90 minutes these days?

They all seem to be super-fit athletes with detailed exercise programmes, thoroughly researched diets for their home lives as well as at training etc. Does it just come down to genetics?

I should think it's got more to do with the other 19 superfit outfielders hammering it around the place, with the opposing ones constantly leaning on you, pushing and pulling, necessitating millions of tiny muscle adjustments just to be able to stand up, and that going on constantly for 45 minutes at a time interspersed with rapid multiple sets of sprinting etc, rather than any lack of fitness. Any of the outfielders could run at pace for hours on end, it's all the other stuff that takes it out of you. Having said all that, not playing in that environment often enough also deadens your reactions and you soon look off the pace.

This. Exactly.

Good move all round and frees up a place for incoming?

Why? Lemina was brought in.

A loan isn't ideal: it's not as if the club is loaning him out to get experience or he's going to a league whose quality will make him better should he get another chance. The club seems to have made up its mind on him. As such, I'd prefer to get a fee rather than see him stuck in loan limbo till he walks on a free.

Edited by shurlock

Because we have a 25 man squad limit. If we want to bring players in, and register them to play, we need to either move people on or have people being paid but who can't play.

A loan isn't ideal: it's not as if the club is loaning him out to get experience or he's going to a league whose quality will make him better should he get another chance. The club seems to have made up its mind on him. As such, I'd prefer to get a fee rather than see him stuck in loan limbo till he walks on a free.

And we'll still be paying a huge percentage of his wages during this loan period.

Because we have a 25 man squad limit. If we want to bring players in, and register them to play, we need to either move people on or have people being paid but who can't play.

Ok for other positions but I assume Lemina was brought in because the club knew it was moving Clasie on. What is the squad limit at now?