Jordy Clasie - Joins AZ (Official)

Saint Charlie

Really? he was very good today like a little terrier all over the pitch putting in tackles, looking after the ball and decent passing he certainly did not look out of his depth. We didn't lose todays game in midfield.

First half yes. Second half our midfield got nowhere near them.

He did well pressing in the first 20mins, absolutely.

Defending and winning balls near to our goal rather than higher up? Less so.

First half yes. Second half our midfield got nowhere near them.

He did well pressing in the first 20mins, absolutely.

Defending and winning balls near to our goal rather than higher up? Less so.

Agree - thought he had a decent game when hunting for the ball further up the pitch, opportunistically catching people in possession; but fell short when asked to provide a disciplined screen, with attackers running at him or required to win a 50/50 or a second ball, ultimately the bread and butter of a DM.

Perhaps he can play the Davis role; we might lose something offensively (or perhaps not); but, at least, it might ensure we're more compact further up the pitch.

Time will tell I guess but I think he will turn out to be a better player than Morgan

Really can't see it. Morgan is one of the best midfielders in Europe.

Was at the Arnhem away game and talking to some locals, they couldn't see Clasie being a success in the Prem. In their view he was too slow and too small to make an impact.

I've watched a lot of the Eredvisie on SKY. I could tell from watching this that he clearly has an eye for a pass, and a lot of Feyenoord's goals came from his assists. However the Prem demands an all-action game that I don't think he is capable of.

He was ok, but to claim he will be better than Schneiderlin?

I think he's done well and will be a good player for us, but I don't believe for a second he'll be as good as Schneiderlin.

People seem too wrapped up in the idea that there are only players of Schneiderlins quality and then sh*t players, with nothing in between.

I can understand the doubts wether Clasie's physical endurance fits the PL, I had my doubts too when he signed fot the Saints, believing the Italian serie A would be better for him as the pace in that league would fit him better. But now I believe he will make it as he already adds something to the team with his passing. Off course he still needs to improve in many ways but I'd expected that he would play regularly in his second season because it's a big leap from the Eredivisie to the PL. It seems he's adjusting a little faster... Too bad the team is not in great shape at the moment, it's always easier to fit in when things are going well. It would be foolish to expect from Clasie that he already puts his mark on the team, even someone like Iniesta would need more time to cope...

the game has changed, but running, heading, closing down, takling, intercepting balls, holding playefs off and being first to loose ball are still required to go with first touch and passing. the midfield does not have the athletisism required imo.

I think he's done well and will be a good player for us, but I don't believe for a second he'll be as good as Schneiderlin.

People seem too wrapped up in the idea that there are only players of Schneiderlins quality and then sh*t players, with nothing in between.

They are different types of player though so the comparison isn't really fair. He said himself that he is not a replacement for Morgan.

Slight separate note but how the fck is Morgan not staring for the worst Utd team in living memory?

Like quite a few of 'our' players -Lovren, Lallana, Lambert for a start - they were great in our system but not necessarily going to be as good in another environment. None of them have improved their reputaion since leaving, just their bank balance

Not seen much football recently apart from the highlights so rely on this place to get an idea about how Clasie is getting on. So far the feedback from yesterday ranges from best player to ok to poor. Confused!

A few people on the match thread thought it was him who gave it away for the first goal, but it was Davis, which might explain some of the more overtly negative reviews. I thought he did okay first half, playing some good first time through balls to the attackers, but like the rest of the team, he was pretty much invisible second half until he was subbed.

A few people on the match thread thought it was him who gave it away for the first goal, but it was Davis, which might explain some of the more overtly negative reviews. I thought he did okay first half, playing some good first time through balls to the attackers, but like the rest of the team, he was pretty much invisible second half until he was subbed.

Thank you!

I was very impressed with Clasie especially in the first 30 mins on Saturday, it's a good improvement and for me he definitely keeps his place in the side. He showed a hunger and desire in midfield that is missing in some of the other players.

Victor Mercenary Wanyama has been my most disliked Saints player with his attempts to force a move plus I've never really rated him as a footballer. His main attributes are getting in the way of other teams attacks bit this season has seemed disinterested while picking up his vast salary which he seems to spend on badly fitting baseball caps. I also regretfully cannot see James Ward-Prowse making a big enough impact on games, he's good at keeping possession but that's it really, the opportunity he had to score near the end of the game was classic Ward-Prowse unable to get any power on the shot.

I'd start with Clasie, Romeu and Davis in midfield next game.

Clasie's passing has been impressive since day one, IMO. He has the rare ability of working out the pass he's going to make before he receives the ball. Often his first touch is the pass he wants to make. Often it's short and simple, but it's effective and on a few occasions has opened by opportunities.

Saturday showed his other traits well; his tenacity and energy, he covered a lot of ground, broke up play well on occasions. One of the few highlights of the game. He's not yet at the standard I think he'll reach and can't sustain that level of work rate for 90-mins, but he's improving all the time. He's making less dumb decisions when talking too, he was a bit reckless early on.

For my money, I'd go with him and Romeo for a few games. Romeo also passes well and is a very well-rounded footballer. He also provides the muscle we like to think Vic does.