January Hcdajfu time?

simo

He said good signings, not ones who's Saints career was shared for half a season with each other.

That they didn't pan out is irrelevant, though a case can be made that Sharp helped us get over the line. Fact remains both were £1m+ signings which by our standards were relatively ambitious at the time. HTH.

Edited by shurlock

K U N T doesn't even begin to describe you, you plunger wielding dustbin. If we get relegated, so be it, not ideal but will reflect that we weren't good enough over 38 games. Disappointing yes, end of the world, no! Will I still be Saint's fan? Yes. Will we get relegated? Don't thinks so, think we are in a rebuilding/consolidating phase. It's all part of the rich tapestry of being a Saint's fan. Embrace it!

He is not a WUM ! Complacency will see us get relegated. The clubs immediately below us are about to strengthen and fight for their EPL status, make no mistake.

If we sit on our hands we will go down.

K U N T doesn't even begin to describe you, you plunger wielding dustbin. If we get relegated, so be it, not ideal but will reflect that we weren't good enough over 38 games. Disappointing yes, end of the world, no! Will I still be Saint's fan? Yes. Will we get relegated? Don't thinks so, think we are in a rebuilding/consolidating phase. It's all part of the rich tapestry of being a Saint's fan. Embrace it!

Sky reporting that Sunderland want to sign Caulker from QPR and that his loan to us would, obviously, be terminated.

Hope that happens as that would be another relegation place claimed [emoji3].

He needs a run of games to get match fit and after his Liverpool nightmare not sure he us what we need. Gardos will be back soon hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope that happens as that would be another relegation place claimed [emoji3].

He needs a run of games to get match fit and after his Liverpool nightmare not sure he us what we need. Gardos will be back soon hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agree, thought Caulker would have bee a decent signing.

He has been horrendous to be fair. More worryingly, we have had him on 'our radar' for some time

SRL apparently available. Could possibly do a short term job as an attacking midfield player as he can pass the ball better than anyone currently in the side. Would also make us more dangerous with free-kicks.

Even if big ron wanted him, I doubt that he'd want to move this far back down south. Part of the reason for his dippers move was to move his family back near merseyside, wasn't it?

If the club acted like fans wanted, we'd be broke before long. We're not going to spend much money in January, we never really do - 2011 in L1 being the single exception.

I'd rather keep the funds in the back pocket until the summer and we can then work out what we need with a much better view over an entire season. Clubs who splash money in January rarely succeed in the long term.

No but we do need a boost after losing our 3 best players in the summer. We signed fonte and puncheon in Jan and neither of those worked out bad long term.

Clearly though we have made a lot of money and should have some left over for reinforcements.

Not really, the problem is incoming fees tend to get overestimated and outgoing fees underestimated.

We have sold players for somewhere around 120 million over the last 2 summers, with the purchases made and the loan fees paid I don't see there being a whole lot left.

Not really, the problem is incoming fees tend to get overestimated and outgoing fees underestimated.

We have sold players for somewhere around 120 million over the last 2 summers, with the purchases made and the loan fees paid I don't see there being a whole lot left.

I's also suggest that the wages for our new signings (leaving aside Long) - now we've stopped signing 'names' are much lower than the players we've replaced. Either way, it's safe to say we're both in the dark, though you wouldnt think that from your usual bluster.

Edited by shurlock

So what about the TV money then?

I's also suggest that the wages for our new signings (leaving aside Long) - now we've stopped signing 'names' are much lower than the players we've replaced. Either way, it's safe to say we're both in the dark, though you wouldnt think that from your usual bluster.

Yep that too. I'm guessing Wanyama, Mane and Fonte are on a fair amount though.

Fonte clearly will be, though I'd be surprised if Mané, as a young player signed from a minor and poorer European League, is. Of course, that would change drastically if we get him to sign a new contract, that's unlikely to happen.

And we've now got to be pay for Stekelenberg and Forster, Gardos and Caulker. Two wages for one position in affect.

Plus a bit more squad depth.

Plus, I'd imagine Bertrand is on more than Shaw for example, so swings and roundabouts.

You think the combined wages of the major signings we've made in the last two summer windows are less than the sum of the wages of the major players we've sold?

Fonte clearly will be, though I'd be surprised if Mané, as a young player signed from a minor and poorer European League, is. Of course, that would change drastically if we get him to sign a new contract, that's unlikely to happen.

When Mane was linked to Utd in the summer I think it was reported that he was on 25K a week. Whilst some of our top players are on wages around this figure (if true), it's easy for other clubs to double or treble their wages overnight.

Sky reporting that Sunderland want to sign Caulker from QPR and that his loan to us would, obviously, be terminated.

It was also being reported that Palace are after him. Rangers want to sell him, and he wants a permanent move sorted out, unless Saints are prepared to convert him to a permanent then he is likely going to be out of here this month. Personally I would not want to sign him, if Gardos is expected back soon, we also have Jack Stephens back.

Why do you think they left, if it wasn't for more money?

Not sure what you mean there

Players out: Lambert, Lallana, Chambers, Shaw, Lovren, Cork, Morgan, Clyne, (Toby)

Players in: Mane, Long, Tadic, Bertrand, Forster, Pelle, Gardos, (Toby), VVD, Stek, Clasie, Juanmi, Romeu, Cedric, (Caulker) plus a new contract for Fonte and paying up Osvaldo's contract early

I would have thought it's fairly obvious our wage bill is significantly higher now than it was 2 years ago. The board have used some of the funds to invest in the wage bill clearly, whether they needed to or not due to the increase in TV money is a more important question.

This summer I expect Mane, Wanyama and possibly Pelle to go (and more we will get rid of Ramirez's wages) and 6 or 7 first team squad signings made, which would require the wage bill to grow again, hopefully this is where we will start to see the new TV deal at play