January Hcdajfu time?

simo

A proven one would probably be out of our pocket, unless we're talking of Austin, injury record and all.

I'd settle for one who could get 15, or as we are at the moment, one who might at least get into double figures.

But with our proven and acclaimed scouting network we should be seeking an up and coming one.

I think only 5 players scored 15 or more goals last season, it's a rarity. The return from Pelle, Long, Mane & Tadic is decent, it's the goal scoring contributions from the rest of the side, particularly midfield that is more of a problem.

I'd settle for one who could get 15, or as we are at the moment, one who might at least get into double figures.

Pelle will get into double figures so long as he recovers from injury, no problem, but 10 goals wouldn't be a very good return.

Only a handful of clubs have in form strikers at any one time. Plenty of our rivals will have 'wanted a Pelle' at times as we now want an Ighalo or Vardy.

If a suitable signing presents itself I hope we get them. Otherwise, I think we've got a good first choice, a good backup and hard luck with Jay Rodriguez who could well be better than either.

How much would a 20 goal a season striker typically cost?

Barring the odd exceptions, around £25 mill really. Aguero was £38m, Drogba was £25m, to find a 20+ goalscorer for a club like us you need good scouting or unearth an academy player.

Not easy to fix things with signings once you've brought in quantity over quality. Got ourselves in a mess and no idea why any club does this. Just sign 2-3 quality players to improve the first team each summer, not endless back up and hopefuls.

What do we do? Clasie, JWP, Romeu might end up being good, but right now aren't good enough. Everyone loves Davis, but for the position he plays he's ineffective. Wanyama is a good player but has no interest being here. Mane is a good player but off form and doesn't score anymore. Tadic will always be too inconsistent. Ramirez isn't given a chance.

We need to make a lot of decisions and ship some players out if we're to bring anyone in. One thing's for sure, if we do sign players, they need to be first team right away, improving things. If it's squad options and cheap players from holland who 'might do a job' then we've really lost the plot.

No evidence that jwp will come good. Was awful today.

Not easy to fix things with signings once you've brought in quantity over quality. Got ourselves in a mess and no idea why any club does this. Just sign 2-3 quality players to improve the first team each summer, not endless back up and hopefuls.

What do we do? Clasie, JWP, Romeu might end up being good, but right now aren't good enough. Everyone loves Davis, but for the position he plays he's ineffective. Wanyama is a good player but has no interest being here. Mane is a good player but off form and doesn't score anymore. Tadic will always be too inconsistent. Ramirez isn't given a chance.

We need to make a lot of decisions and ship some players out if we're to bring anyone in. One thing's for sure, if we do sign players, they need to be first team right away, improving things. If it's squad options and cheap players from holland who 'might do a job' then we've really lost the plot.

We haven't bought endless back ups though.

Do you seriously think we could have bought players better than Alderweireld & Schneiderlin? Or are you just posting for the sake of it?

Do you not remember the clamour for strength in depth?

We haven't bought endless back ups though.

Do you seriously think we could have bought players better than Alderweireld & Schneiderlin? Or are you just posting for the sake of it?

Do you not remember the clamour for strength in depth?

Regardless as to whether you replace like for like, it doesn't mean that you go out and buy players who are too weak and/or slow for the intensisty of the premier league which the likes of Clasie, Romeu, Cedric and Juami all struggle with although they could come good with time. The less said about Martina, the better.

Is anyone confident that we will buy someone who can actually make a difference?

Who knows!

I'm not sure what to make of our bench options either. No Caulker or Juanmi yesterday - Ramirez back on the bench.

That's a mix of players who haven't cut the mustard, and/or might be off this month anyway.

Regardless as to whether you replace like for like, it doesn't mean that you go out and buy players who are too weak and/or slow for the intensisty of the premier league which the likes of Clasie, Romeu, Cedric and Juami all struggle with although they could come good with time. The less said about Martina, the better.

The post I was responding to stated we should just be buying 2-3 players a season to improve our first 11.

Is anyone confident that we will buy someone who can actually make a difference?

Do any January signings actually make a difference to Premiership sides in that same season? From what I see new signings, especially from abroad, talk some time to find their feet. Often a full season

Do any January signings actually make a difference to Premiership sides in that same season? From what I see new signings, especially from abroad, talk some time to find their feet. Often a full season

a few probably have. Not as much as a summer window though. But then not as many players move in jan

a few probably have. Not as much as a summer window though. But then not as many players move in jan

Those that did, were they already at other prem sides? I see a lot of players coming in from overseas and struggle initially. If they at a prem side and haven't been playing are they match fit. That can reduce the instant impact

Without any stats to back this up, my hypothesis would be that a good January signing should be an established Premier League player rather than someone who doesn't know this league. They'd presumably be able to hit the ground running without having to adjust and all that.

I'd welcome spending over the odds on someone like Austin, Remy or anyone else that has proven they can score in this league.

I never said it was. It is possible to sign better than we did though.

Absolutely. None of the players we signed have been particularly impressive, OK is about the best thing you can say about the better ones.

Stekelenberg - OK I guess.

VVD - Looks good some games, but also looks prone to moments of stupidity

Cedric - Looks a poor signing to me, the coupling of his physical limitations and his tactical limitations has meant Koeman doesn't fully trust him. Not very good going forward for an attacking RB either.

Martina - Not fantastic, but I'd have him at RB over Yoshida.

Caulker - Waste of time. iWould rather see Stephens, Turnbull or McCarthy take his place in the squad.

Romeu - He's been a decent addition as a squad player, too prone to getting carded and lacks the mobility to be a starter

Clasie - Started to show some good passing, but really struggles physically. I guess he might come good next season.

Juanmi - Not been given much of a chance to be fair, but when he does get on the field he contributes nothing.

To be honest the Squad needs a lot of work in the summer and with the prospect of clubs having 10s of millions extra in TV money to play with, competing for the good signings (for teams at the level we are competing) will be very tough if the club resolves to spending only what it brings in for Mane, Wanyama and whoever else.

Absolutely. None of the players we signed have been particularly impressive, OK is about the best thing you can say about the better ones.

Stekelenberg - OK I guess.

VVD - Looks good some games, but also looks prone to moments of stupidity

Cedric - Looks a poor signing to me, the coupling of his physical limitations and his tactical limitations has meant Koeman doesn't fully trust him. Not very good going forward for an attacking RB either.

Martina - Not fantastic, but I'd have him at RB over Yoshida.

Caulker - Waste of time. iWould rather see Stephens, Turnbull or McCarthy take his place in the squad.

Romeu - He's been a decent addition as a squad player, too prone to getting carded and lacks the mobility to be a starter

Clasie - Started to show some good passing, but really struggles physically. I guess he might come good next season.

Juanmi - Not been given much of a chance to be fair, but when he does get on the field he contributes nothing.

To be honest the Squad needs a lot of work in the summer and with the prospect of clubs having 10s of millions extra in TV money to play with, competing for the good signings (for teams at the level we are competing) will be very tough if the club resolves to spending only what it brings in for Mane, Wanyama and whoever else.

Stek - good loan signing. Can't think of someone we could of got who'd be better cover.

VVD - good signing. Has had a couple of dodgy moments, but is moree than good enough for a top 8 team.

Cedric - bought as the backup/emerging RB i believe; he looks the part for me. Decision made to make him first choice when our main RB target (anyone know who it was btw?) became unavailable. Very poor decision by the club.

Martina - seems to be here to make up the numbers for the Europa campaign. Very poor signing.

Caulker - cover for the injured Gardos. Though he'd be better than he is. Is what it is; scraping the barrel for cover.

Romeu - like him. Wish he was given a proper run in order to find his feet. Decent signing.

Claise - good player. Good piece of business; shame he's been injured which has clearly impacted him.

Juanmi - don't get this signing at all. We needed a goal scoring midfielder/option other than Mane or Tadic. Is this what he was signed for? Poor signing who was needleselly bigged up by Sir Les.

Not a good performance from the board overall.

And a worse one so far this season from Ronald.

Thought Stek showed the lack of ambition. Our situation was Forster was doing well and we didn't have a good back up. We lose Forster for a year, have no idea when or if he'll be back in the same form, yet we focus only on a loan. Ideal chance to sign someone to compete with Forster, solve the back up problem and not risk a season with a poor keeper. Stek doesn't make many saves and hasn't been a top keeper in over 5 years now.

That's an incredible thing to say. Last summer we invested big money in a first choice GK and said goodbye to Boruc on the back of that, he went on to proove exactly why we spent £10m on him. Top keeper.

The last thing the club should do is spend another £10m on someone who will cover him whilst he's injured. That would be pure and utter stupidity. A loan of an experienced international Gk was the best thing to do.

Where did I say we should sign players better than Alderweireld and Schneiderlin?

Once they're gone, you just need to sign players that go straight in and improve what you have. VVD did that, fine. Clasie didn't, Romeu didn't, Juanmi didn't, Cedric didn't, Martina didn't.

There may have been clamouring for strength in depth but not from me. I think it's a myth and disruptive to the quality of the team. Liverpool did it when they got champions league, had no idea what their best team was and struggled. Spurs did it with the Bale money, had no idea what their best team was and struggled.

The only time I recall signing loads of players and it working is Saints when they got Pelle, Tadic, Bertrand etc. The big difference there being, we'd sold so many, we had to do it, and knew exactly where the new signings fitted in and what the first team would be.

Try not to make up your mind what someone else's opinion is and get angry they're posting.

well that makes even less sense then.

Is Cedric a better right back than what we had at the club? Yes.

Is VVD better than Yoshida or Caulker? Yes.

Are Romeu and Clasie better than Davis/JWP as defensive midfielders? Yes.

So by your thinking we have improved our first XI, which is what you were winging we hadn't done. Make your mind up.

That's an incredible thing to say. Last summer we invested big money in a first choice GK and said goodbye to Boruc on the back of that, he went on to proove exactly why we spent £10m on him. Top keeper.

The last thing the club should do is spend another £10m on someone who will cover him whilst he's injured. That would be pure and utter stupidity. A loan of an experienced international Gk was the best thing to do.

Have to agree with you on this. I'm not happy with a lot of things but club didn't do anything wrong here. Also, gazzaniga is improving and we have to allow a pathway for him.

Sam Byram - Leeds - Plays more at RM these days than RB, but can play comfortably either. We lack Balance down this side of the pitch and he is out of contract in the summer.

Moussa Dembele - Fulham - Quoted as £12m in the press with all the top clubs linked - good age just 19 years old. Is out of contract in the summer so surely closer to £8m.

Ziyech currently being quoted at 8mil euro's which for a talented 22yr old attacking midfielder role seems a steal but Twente are in financial trouble.

He's been the star of the team this season, currently stats to date -

17 Games - 10 Goals - 5 Assists

And I know people will say dutch league but for the price of half a schlong you get a guy who can become the goal scoring playmaker we need and for the next 6 months understudy Davis before getting the no.1 spot the following season.

Suppose the question is will we hold off getting a AM in as the club is intent on JWP making the step up so we can live up to our "mantra".

Ziyech currently being quoted at 8mil euro's which for a talented 22yr old attacking midfielder role seems a steal but Twente are in financial trouble.

He's been the star of the team this season, currently stats to date -

17 Games - 10 Goals - 5 Assists

And I know people will say dutch league but for the price of half a schlong you get a guy who can become the goal scoring playmaker we need and for the next 6 months understudy Davis before getting the no.1 spot the following season.

Suppose the question is will we hold off getting a AM in as the club is intent on JWP making the step up so we can live up to our "mantra".

We're singing from the same hymn sheet again on the transfer front, Convict.

Ziyech surely a worthy shout to replace Gaston in the squad (& I don't mean to be injured or on the bench).

A punt on Nacer Chadli? Always liked what I saw, can score goals, and isn't fully first choice at Spurs...

I agree there are some good players in the Championship waiting to make the step up, if only we could find another Alli! Knowing us though we'll plug on with what we have or sign an unknown from Holland.

It'd be nice to be pleasantly surprised though!

I agree there are some good players in the Championship waiting to make the step up, if only we could find another Alli! Knowing us though we'll plug on with what we have or sign an unknown from Holland.

It'd be nice to be pleasantly surprised though!

Andre Gray springs to mind. Demarai Gray, another.

I'd have loved us to sign Alli too. He wasn't a massive secret either - Karl Robinson had been raving about him for a while.

well that makes even less sense then.

Is Cedric a better right back than what we had at the club? Yes.

Is VVD better than Yoshida or Caulker? Yes.

Are Romeu and Clasie better than Davis/JWP as defensive midfielders? Yes.

So by your thinking we have improved our first XI, which is what you were winging we hadn't done. Make your mind up.

Not certain that's true, especially as an out of position centre back as been preferred to both him and Martina in various games this season.

I am certain that Cedric Soares is a better right back than Yoshida.

I agree, he is. I just don't understand how we went through the summer transfer window, signed 2 right backs and then play an out of position Yoshida over both of them in various games. If both Soares and Martina were injured then fair enough but showing a preference for Yoshida suggests to me that we signed the wrong players in the first place.

We're singing from the same hymn sheet again on the transfer front, Convict.

Ziyech surely a worthy shout to replace Gaston in the squad (& I don't mean to be injured or on the bench).

Its a no brainer, 22yrs old, captain of twente, 5ft 10in so not a midget and is all about self improvement (see below).

"He said on the current Twente team, “We have a young team, of course. And I understand that some players struggle with their motivation and confidence. But sometimes I see them make mistakes and I think, did you learn from it? ”

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/espn-fc-united-blog/68/post/2767732/hakim-ziyech-could-be-world-class-playmaker-at-bargain-price

"Imagine that your club is looking to sign a creative midfielder in January. How would you react if someone told you that a young star, who is directly responsible for 83 percent of his team's goals this season, is available on the market at a very reasonable price? Doesn't that sound like science fiction?

This is a figure that neither Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez nor Riyad Mahrez and Odion Ighalo could even dream of. And yet it is true: Hakim Ziyech, 22, has scored 10 times and provided five assists for Twente, who only have 18 goals in Eredivisie play this season. They can do virtually nothing without him.

It must be said that Twente are in a very deep crisis from every possible angle. These past 12 months have been phenomenal for Ziyech, but disastrous for the proud club from Enschede, who are on the verge of financial collapse. Chairman Aldo van der Laan was forced to resign last month over an illegal agreement with Malta-based company Doyen Sports. (Those of the investment in players fame when we were looking at Rojo, Tadic was also repped by them)

Most of their leading players were sold in the summer, including young Mexican prodigy Jesus "Tecatito" Corona, who signed for Porto; prolific striker Luc Castaignos, who moved to Eintracht Frankfurt; and Danish captain Andreas Bjelland, whose career at Brentford hasn't started yet following a serious knee injury.

Ziyech was also supposed to be on his way out, but he decided to stay, was given an armband and proved to be a true leader. His contribution in such difficult circumstances is incredible, and fans can hardly imagine the team without him.

Twente are next to bottom nevertheless, with just 13 points from 17 games in the first half of the season. Relegation is not the greatest threat the club is facing nowadays, and they have no choice but to sell their biggest asset in January, not only because they are hoping to get about €10 million for him, but also because they can hardly afford his wages anymore.

Ziyech earns €800,000 annually, and that is one of the reasons he signed for Twente in the summer of 2014. Feyenoord were also interested in his services, following his brilliant breakthrough season at Heerenveen, but Twente offered far superior financial terms and also looked a more interesting option from the professional point of view."

Edited by Convict Colony

Its a no brainer, 22yrs old, captain of twente, 5ft 10in so not a midget and is all about self improvement (see below).

"He said on the current Twente team, “We have a young team, of course. And I understand that some players struggle with their motivation and confidence. But sometimes I see them make mistakes and I think, did you learn from it? ”

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/espn-fc-united-blog/68/post/2767732/hakim-ziyech-could-be-world-class-playmaker-at-bargain-price

"Imagine that your club is looking to sign a creative midfielder in January. How would you react if someone told you that a young star, who is directly responsible for 83 percent of his team's goals this season, is available on the market at a very reasonable price? Doesn't that sound like science fiction?

This is a figure that neither Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez nor Riyad Mahrez and Odion Ighalo could even dream of. And yet it is true: Hakim Ziyech, 22, has scored 10 times and provided five assists for Twente, who only have 18 goals in Eredivisie play this season. They can do virtually nothing without him.

It must be said that Twente are in a very deep crisis from every possible angle. These past 12 months have been phenomenal for Ziyech, but disastrous for the proud club from Enschede, who are on the verge of financial collapse. Chairman Aldo van der Laan was forced to resign last month over an illegal agreement with Malta-based company Doyen Sports.

Most of their leading players were sold in the summer, including young Mexican prodigy Jesus "Tecatito" Corona, who signed for Porto; prolific striker Luc Castaignos, who moved to Eintracht Frankfurt; and Danish captain Andreas Bjelland, whose career at Brentford hasn't started yet following a serious knee injury.

Ziyech was also supposed to be on his way out, but he decided to stay, was given an armband and proved to be a true leader. His contribution in such difficult circumstances is incredible, and fans can hardly imagine the team without him.

Twente are next to bottom nevertheless, with just 13 points from 17 games in the first half of the season. Relegation is not the greatest threat the club is facing nowadays, and they have no choice but to sell their biggest asset in January, not only because they are hoping to get about €10 million for him, but also because they can hardly afford his wages anymore.

Ziyech earns €800,000 annually, and that is one of the reasons he signed for Twente in the summer of 2014. Feyenoord were also interested in his services, following his brilliant breakthrough season at Heerenveen, but Twente offered far superior financial terms and also looked a more interesting option from the professional point of view."

Great stuff. Think he first appeared on my radar after we signed Tadic, funnily enough. I clocked that Twente signed him as his replacement & noticed he had very good stats at SC Heerenveen and I've kept my eye out for him ever since.

Didn't know Twente were in such hard times - Certainly lots of interest in him from around Europe. You'd like to think the Koeman's will know all about him.

I agree, he is. I just don't understand how we went through the summer transfer window, signed 2 right backs and then play an out of position Yoshida over both of them in various games. If both Soares and Martina were injured then fair enough but showing a preference for Yoshida suggests to me that we signed the wrong players in the first place.

Yes, but that's a separate point.

Great stuff. Think he first appeared on my radar after we signed Tadic, funnily enough. I clocked that Twente signed him as his replacement & noticed he had very good stats at SC Heerenveen and I've kept my eye out for him ever since.

Didn't know Twente were in such hard times - Certainly lots of interest in him from around Europe. You'd like to think the Koeman's will know all about him.

Mate I give you full props as I have just checked out last summers chat as I mentioned him as well then and found the following:

Your Input

Nov 2006

Bit late to talk about transfers now, I know, but this fella was the chap Twente purchased to replace Tadic.

@OptaJohan: 23 - Hakim Ziyech has been involved in 23 of @fctwente's last 24 Eredivisie goals. Superb.

Our Dutch Friends Input:

Originally Posted by ADutchSaint

Ziyech is not a winger tho, he's a classic attacking midfielder and im surprised no club in Europe picked him up this summer. By far the best attacking midfielder atm (last season as well) in the Eredivisie, that kid has everything. He's creative, has pace, great technical skills and a very good shot in both legs really. Im 100% convinced that he's going to be a class player in a few years and if i was Koeman, i would pick him up if there's some budget left in the winter cause the current squad could use a player like Ziyech.

He wont be cheap tho

Thread: Summer 2015 Hcdajfu thread ?

by van Hanegem

Replies

Views

Twente needs to sell as they are in financial...

Twente needs to sell as they are in financial trouble. They do have some great players who are up for grabs but they're not yet as good as Tadic. Ziyech is an attacking midfielder with high potential...

Alan Nixon: Leicester City. Demarai Gray should be signed tomorrow afternoon. Unless Southampton sort themselves out with a rival bid.

Just saw that, if there was a chance he would choose us over them seems like our sort of signing. Would of been much more of a chance in the summer though, chance has probably gone if it's between us and them.