Kelvin Gets Testimonial

Gemmel

McCarthy had quite a few chances to cross the ball totally unchallenged due to the pace of the game and he picked out the keeper or the crowd most times.

If he makes PL level it will be as a tough CB not a RB as he isn't good enough on the ball.

Alfie Jones looked very assured I thought, even if against poor opposition in the second half.

Sweeping judgements from a not very competitive match where no-one was really going for it.

McCarthy had quite a few chances to cross the ball totally unchallenged due to the pace of the game and he picked out the keeper or the crowd most times.

If he makes PL level it will be as a tough CB not a RB as he isn't good enough on the ball.

Alfie Jones looked very assured I thought, even if against poor opposition in the second half.

I agree that his crossing was poor but that can improve

lolol.

Not even sure why he was even there.

He was nothing to do with our Promotion.

And none of the current squad (bar Wanyama) were even his players.

They were Adkins.

Which in itself is really ironic seeing as Adkins was there aswell. :lol:

he managed KD

Sweeping judgements from a not very competitive match where no-one was really going for it.

Not based just on that game, he always looks better at CB than RB in the U21s too. RE the game, its a lot easier to cross a ball when nobody is within 15 yards of you and nearly all his crosses were dire especially compared to Butterfield who (unchallenged) put a series of good crosses in for Lambert.

Obviously not a competitive game, but a valid observation.

Not based just on that game, he always looks better at CB than RB in the U21s too. RE the game, its a lot easier to cross a ball when nobody is within 15 yards of you and nearly all his crosses were dire especially compared to Butterfield who (unchallenged) put a series of good crosses in for Lambert.

Obviously not a competitive game, but a valid observation.

Indeed. If he can't put in a a good cross under no pressure then what would he be like in a real game?

I'm fairly certain he'll either start the match, stand around for 5 minutes and then get substituted, or come on for the same amount of time at the end.

Good prediction!

It was a fun evening but I'd like to echo what others have said about the PA system, it really is a joke. In the Kingsland the speaker above us in block 33 is literally broken, you can hear a buzzing noise and the volume fluctuates. Just about got the gist of what Kelvin was saying at the end because the whole crowd went quiet and I could hear on other speakers. Really hope they get this sorted by the start of next season.

Anyone trying to make any judgments at all on players' abilities based on that match are wasting their time IMO.

good job he's going to be a centre back then, Fonte replacement when he retires.

Also missing are Jos and Danny Fox.

I see Jos is still playing in Sweden, but doesn't appear to have a midweek game. Danny played in Forest's last few, after being out injured and got himself sent off in the last game, which wouldn't preclude him from tonight.

Fox and Lallana were very close, perhaps they were both bellends and KD didn't like them or their attitude.

Good prediction!

It was a fun evening but I'd like to echo what others have said about the PA system, it really is a joke. In the Kingsland the speaker above us in block 33 is literally broken, you can hear a buzzing noise and the volume fluctuates. Just about got the gist of what Kelvin was saying at the end because the whole crowd went quiet and I could hear on other speakers. Really hope they get this sorted by the start of next season.

Anyone trying to make any judgments at all on players' abilities based on that match are wasting their time IMO.

we were in block 33 as well and couldnt hear anything apart from some of KD. It is a joke,especially if there was a security problem

good job he's going to be a centre back then, Fonte replacement when he retires.

Possibly. Will need a loan move next season to somewhere he will start at CB because he was playing RB for Wycombe mostly.

Doing a good job at RB in L2 is miles away from being a starting CB of a PL side but he looks like he has the attitude to give it a good go.

Think Jack Stephens is a better player personally, albeit slightly older and a lot more experienced.

I wasn't there.

But dear god...

Did he get much stick?...

I would hope he didn't, that'd be quite sad and make us look really stupid, especially considering it was a testimonial and he probably wanted to pop along and say farewell to Kelvin (you never know, they may have been fairly close!?). He probablly had a good chat with Wanyama and Les Reed too ... ;)

Not entirely sure why some people are trying to analyse, what was in effect, a muck around game.

It was a good laugh though, a good send off for Davis but also a good opportunity to say goodbye to the likes of Lambo/Harding/Hammond etc - who we didn't ever get the chance to send off before.

Was a decent atmosphere I thought and all played in good spirit - I loved everyone shouting at Cuco to shoot whenever he got the ball, he looked round and laughed at the crowd a couple of times!

What a night that was. Will remember that forever. Seeing Lambert and Le God do a penalty shootout (even if Matt has lost the strength in his legs). The chants were fantastic all night. Calling Tiss a sh*t Richie Lambert and we always get sh*t refs when Lambert was offside were 2 of my favourite. Really nice for Adkins getting great support and then the same chants for Koeman so there was no chance of any disrespect. Kelvin really seems like a great guy (forgetting the fact he did everything he could to stop his son scoring against him :lol:). We will forever be indebted to him amongst a few others. I really hope he stays with us in some other capacity. Thank you Kelvin.

As for the PA system, it was flipping loud in block 46.

19,500 i think they said, but it looked a bit more that that to me (big queues at the ticket office pre-match). Northam stand did a good job generating some noise, shame there wasn't a few more fans in the Chapel end as it looked very sparse down there. Programmes seemed to be selling well, i'm sure the night will raise a lot of money for charity.

Really enjoyed the evening, was a feelgood atmosphere certainly helped by our good end to the season. At one point it was risk of being taken over as the Lambert show with all the songs about it, but his performance showed why he's not going to come back - league one for him now i think.

The delayed kick off was very frustrating, sat in the middle of the Kingsland there were no announcements explaining it, and if there were I certainly couldn't hear them, match kicked off 25 mins late in the end.

Thanks JRM. Franny and Doddy got less than a full house at their in the Dell. Sounded quite cheery.

Had a great night, but the PA was woeful in the Kingsland for me too (block 31). Only managed to make out what KD was saying at the end, just about. Everything else....I just clapped when everyone else did!

Really entertaining spectacle, and I think there's some truth in what KD meant, when he said it wasn't just about him, it was a celebration of everything the club has achieved. It really did feel like that.

Good memories for the future :)

Not entirely sure why some people are trying to analyse, what was in effect, a muck around game.

It was a good laugh though, a good send off for Davis but also a good opportunity to say goodbye to the likes of Lambo/Harding/Hammond etc - who we didn't ever get the chance to send off before.

Was a decent atmosphere I thought and all played in good spirit - I loved everyone shouting at Cuco to shoot whenever he got the ball, he looked round and laughed at the crowd a couple of times!

Yeah and he was heavily involved in the shenanigans at the end with Sonnie. Seems like a good character!

CivRReQXEAEfNJt.jpg

That's a nice photograph, and speaks volumes for the spirit of the club, and those involved in it over the last few years. Even Pochetino, who didn't have to come back last night. Gone up in my book for attending. *

Pity he couldn't have shown a little more interest, enthusiasm, and respect for the club whilst he was our manager really.

Don't suppose anyone saw Cortese there did they?

*assuming not conducting early discussions with any of our players of course.

Anyone else feeling slightly less hatred towards Poch after that picture...?:scared: almost feels a bit like some form of closure haha.

I dunno.

i know what you're saying..but I can't decide. :lol:

I'm personally just bitter because the football we were playing when Poch was here was amazing.

The relentless attack, attack, attack.

Very similar to Adkins.

But Koeman has come in and has done even better, with a different approach.

But does my view towards Poch change on that picture?..

Probably..but can I not say "yes" because it's a bit too much. :lol:

Anyone else feeling slightly less hatred towards Poch after that picture...?:scared: almost feels a bit like some form of closure haha.

Club and players liked him, Reed still speaks highly of him and Pochettino has always been full of praise for Saints since joining Spurs, despite the fan animosity towards him.

End of the day in a time of uncertainty he left for a better opportunity.

People have a dislike of him because he is good and chose to be good elsewhere.

Probably time to move on because we replaced him with a good Manager so hopefully we can persuade him to stay as the whole club is in a better position than when Pochettino made his choice.

I dunno.

i know what you're saying..but I can't decide. :lol:

I'm personally just bitter because the football we were playing when Poch was here was amazing.

The relentless attack, attack, attack.

Very similar to Adkins.

But Koeman has come in and has done even better, with a different approach.

But does my view towards Poch change on that picture?..

Probably..but can I not say "yes" because it's a bit too much. :lol:

Yea wtf is going on. I want to keep hating him but he's making it difficult the pr*ck :lol:

My thoughts exactly as soon as i saw it. There seems a genuine warmth there. could have been a picture of a mum* and her 3 sons, really sums up the "family club" spirit.

*Even though Katerina is possibly the youngest of all of them, I have no idea of her age or even if she's married. She has managed to keep her private life just that.

Club and players liked him, Reed still speaks highly of him and Pochettino has always been full of praise for Saints since joining Spurs, despite the fan animosity towards him.

End of the day in a time of uncertainty he left for a better opportunity.

People have a dislike of him because he is good and chose to be good elsewhere.

Probably time to move on because we replaced him with a good Manager so hopefully we can persuade him to stay as the whole club is in a better position than when Pochettino made his choice.

Two other considerations you don't mention though - the manner of his leaving, including the surly sulking after NC departed, and where he ended up. Had he gone, lets say to PSG, or a less toxic club than the one he joined I expect the attitude to him might be a little less acrimonius.

Yes, perhaps time to move on. I'll temper my view of MP, but that won't lessen my dislike for his current employers.

Yeah absolutely, lets not forget when all is said and done he took us to the next level in the 18 months he was here.

Great picture.

Only Pardew missing from that.

Yes, only Pardew missing from the Liebherr era.

KD also had the following managers, Burley, Pearson, Poortvliet, and Wotte. May have forgotten someone (SCW ???)

Perhaps Burley was there, just slumped under a table.

Yes, only Pardew missing from the Liebherr era.

KD also had the following managers, Burley, Pearson, Poortvliet, and Wotte. May have forgotten someone (SCW ???)

Perhaps Burley was there, just slumped under a table.

Gorman and Dodd (the well known comedy duo, no not Dave and Ken) and also Dean Wilkins. SCW was never a manager anywhere (of an association football club), not even the Maidenhead under 9s. He had also departed the scene before SKD signed.

Re the PA - all seemed OK when Ralph and SKD used the mike. Seems that Kenzi doesn't have a powerful enough voice delivery

Nope, couldn't understand a word from anybody.

LOL at Kenzi struggling to walk across the pitch in stilettos. Perhaps she was trying to aerate it.

Agree, that is a cracking picture and a credit to all involved! The last three managers all pictured together and looking very much at ease, not sure you'd get that at many other clubs.