Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

just proves that what we need to spend to stand still, if anything.

I don't think it defines what we need to spend. It shows how clubs have got richer with TV cash and Sky, agents and the wider media delight in implying a correlation between money spent and success.

I haven't got the time to do a detailed analysis, but it's fairly obvious that the success of a transferred player doesn't correlate that well with the fee. There are plenty of expensive flops around, as well as those who come good after small transfer fees from unfashionable leagues. Of course, the media, and especially Sky, always express amazement that this can happen. It doesn't fit their model.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I don't think it defines what we need to spend. It shows how clubs have got richer with TV cash and Sky, agents and the wider media delight in implying a correlation between money spent and success.

I haven't got the time to do a detailed analysis, but it's fairly obvious that the success of a transferred player doesn't correlate that well with the fee. There are plenty of expensive flops around, as well as those who come good after small transfer fees from unfashionable leagues. Of course, the media, and especially Sky, always express amazement that this can happen. It doesn't fit their model.

my point is, £20m is the new £12m...for a decent player......it will catch up in europe soon also..

to buy Boufal this summer, would probably cost us more that it did 12 months ago because of the TV deal/inflated prices....and he is alright at best

my point is, £20m is the new £12m...for a decent player......it will catch up in europe soon also..

to buy Boufal this summer, would probably cost us more that it did 12 months ago because of the TV deal/inflated prices....and he is alright at best

I'll accept that prices are being forced up by agents and the media. But there are still good buys to be had at a sensible price if your Black Box works.

Nacer Chadli has apparently fallen out with Pulis and be might looking for a new club likes to play AM better than what we have?

Why would we sign someone who has cried off preseason fitness training because he doesn't fancy it?

Isn't one of Saints' many mottos "hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"? Something like that, anyway.

We won't touch him with a bargepole.

Why would we sign someone who has cried off preseason fitness training because he doesn't fancy it?

Isn't one of Saints' many mottos "hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"? Something like that, anyway.

we went for Mane when he virtually went on strike!!

I'll accept that prices are being forced up by agents and the media. But there are still good buys to be had at a sensible price if your Black Box works.

Surely this can't keep working though! Sooner or later we (and other clubs) will have exhausted these cheaper hidden gems? I hope that Les is not repeating the mistakes Lowe made after 2003 thinking we could tread water without keeping investing in the squad.

Surely this can't keep working though! Sooner or later we (and other clubs) will have exhausted these cheaper hidden gems? I hope that Les is not repeating the mistakes Lowe made after 2003 thinking we could tread water without keeping investing in the squad.

Neither can paying more and more for players. The satellite TV bubble will burst soon. Can the TV companies generate enough from streaming to keep paying Megabucks for rights? I doubt it.

What happens when the Premier League loses its cash cow?

Neither can paying more and more for players. The satellite TV bubble will burst soon. Can the TV companies generate enough from streaming to keep paying Megabucks for rights? I doubt it.

If there are no TV broadcasts, there'll be no streams. Most streams seem to come from US sources, so if streaming becomes an existential threat to the survival of the PL, they'll probably just stop selling exhaustive rights in the US, which are only worth about £100m per season.

I agree with this to a certain extent and there's no way we are able (nor even should attempt to, unless we find a sugar daddy) keep up with the Man Cities and Chelseas of this world but if you are not at least keeping up with the average in the PL you are not going to attract players of the requisite quality nor keep the ones you have. That then becomes the slippery slope to relegation and real financial problems (again).

when that bubble bursts, Facebook, amazon and such like we take over.

when that bubble bursts, Facebook, amazon and such like we take over.

Absolutely BM - thing is (and I know as am in the industry) they are miles better at getting deals agreed than traditional companies and they want to provide instant snap shots rather than the full games, so not sure the income will go up, but it will certainly not go down. Google is the one to watch.

Won't various european league transfer fees be determined by the size of their own domesticate tV contracts? Are they all increasing in a similar way as the premiership? I have not doubt they will increase,everything does, but buying from second tier European leagues is still going to offer tremendous value in comparison to buying proven premiership players.

Won't various european league transfer fees be determined by the size of their own domesticate tV contracts? Are they all increasing in a similar way as the premiership? I have not doubt they will increase,everything does, but buying from second tier European leagues is still going to offer tremendous value in comparison to buying proven premiership players.

no, they will just ask more when a premier league club comes calling.

simple as that

But then Saints will match that? We broke our transfer record for Boufal last year, and spent nigh on the same amount for Gabbiadini.

Whether VVD leaves or not, I'm fairly confident we'd break the £20m mark for who Saints feel is the right player.

If we keep most of our current team and sign a Wanyama type tank brick s**t house to play alongside Romeu I would be happy. Infact I would like us to try and get more of our youth coming through,

Hesketh, Slattery? anyone else decent we have in the youth set up that could step up to the 1st team?

If we keep most of our current team and sign a Wanyama type tank brick s**t house to play alongside Romeu I would be happy. Infact I would like us to try and get more of our youth coming through,

Hesketh, Slattery? anyone else decent we have in the youth set up that could step up to the 1st team?

Always liked Hesketh as an attacking midfielder, been a bit unlucky with injuries but fingers crossed he can stay fit this season and be the next one through

Still don't understand what happened in the european away game when he came off early. He'd done well in previous games. If you're going to give a kid a chance in a big game, leave them on. The whole team was ****e that night anyway. Then he got injured soon after? Whenever I've seen him he's looked technically good. Would definitely benefit from a championship season though, needs to play plenty of games this year.

From what I've seen, the Championship wouldmurder him. I'd send him to France or Spain

I hope sims gets more of a chance this year- he looked superb at times last season.

I'd like to see a loan in the Championship for him. Thought he offered a directness and willingness to take risks last season that was sorely missing from others but also at times he found it hard to get involved in games.

I'd like to see a loan in the Championship for him. Thought he offered a directness and willingness to take risks last season that was sorely missing from others but also at times he found it hard to get involved in games.

He stays here for me. Already in and around the first team. I expect him to get game time and a few starts, especially the cups. I would like to see us get more of these guys in to the first team - Monaco Stylee.

Edited by Faz

You realise all that stuff is propaganda don't you?

If we are in for a loan, I was rather hoping we might turn our attention to Marcos Llorente, given his connection with MPell at Alaves last season..

All quiet on that front however..

I would agree with that. Can't help but feel Madrid would want him to get experience in La Liga though.

I'd not be surprised if we make very few changes this summer. We're not selling "top players" so we'll not have a great deal of squad room for senior players. No Europe so no extra strain there really so I do wonder what we actually need right now.

we need ship some of the lesser players and replace with better surely we can find upgrades on JWP, Clasie, Davis, Long, Forster and possibly Tadic, Boufal and Hoj. If we are keeping all our top players then this is the ideally time to upgrade the squad with some quality.

we need ship some of the lesser players and replace with better surely we can find upgrades on JWP, Clasie, Davis, Long, Forster and possibly Tadic, Boufal and Hoj. If we are keeping all our top players then this is the ideally time to upgrade the squad with some quality.

We're not going to be going out to replace JWP, Forster, Tadic, Boufal, Hoj..........if those are your expectations, then you will be disappointed.

I'd not be surprised if we make very few changes this summer. We're not selling "top players" so we'll not have a great deal of squad room for senior players. No Europe so no extra strain there really so I do wonder what we actually need right now.

I agree.

I would like a new CB to partner VVD, but tbh Yoshida and Stephens may be decent enough to step up.

Don't think we need anything else.

Whilst I feel the club aren't going to make wholesale changes with players mainly coming in with potential like the Polish chap, which should be applauded, it would be nice for the fans to be given a signing or 2 that can get them excited, it is afterall an entertainment industry, most saints fans are pretty pragmatic and understand we won't be going out spunking £100m but they surely have to show some sort of willingness to whet our appetites for next season.

Saying that it's only July so a lot could happen yet.

Teams upgrade every season, we need to do the same otherwise we will get left behind......whatever that looks like. Going into the new season with virtually the same squad will, I think, see us struggle.

Assuming none of the star names leave, then a couple of new midfielders would be most welcome.

Teams upgrade every season, we need to do the same otherwise we will get left behind......whatever that looks like. Going into the new season with virtually the same squad will, I think, see us struggle.

Assuming none of the star names leave, then a couple of new midfielders would be most welcome.

I don't think any club below us has signed players to the point that they are a better side than us.

But yes, it would be nice to bring in a couple of fresh faces.

Whilst I feel the club aren't going to make wholesale changes with players mainly coming in with potential like the Polish chap, which should be applauded, it would be nice for the fans to be given a signing or 2 that can get them excited, it is afterall an entertainment industry, most saints fans are pretty pragmatic and understand we won't be going out spunking £100m but they surely have to show some sort of willingness to whet our appetites for next season.

Saying that it's only July so a lot could happen yet.

It's not an entertainement industry, it's football.