Virgil van Dijk signs new six-year deal with Saints

Saint-Armstrong

Is it not right that the clubs old direction was to bring youngsters into the first team with the aim of having at least half the team from the academy.

Koeman has shown he believes that none of them are good enough which I understand the powers that be are not impressed with.

Perhaps this new direction is just a reinforcement of the original plan so there will be no place for Ronald at the helm.

Great news.

Now let's come up with a decent chant for him. None of this achy breaky heart nonsense that's taking over the Premier League.

I like...

"Chim-Chim-i-ney, Chim-Chim-i-ney,

Chim-Chim-Cheroo,

We've got Van Dyke

And he's coming for you"

Simple, effective and also sung by his Uncle **** in 1964.

Great!

Next:

- sign Stekelenburg as permanent back-up

- improve Romeu's, Tadic's, Long's and Bertrand's contract

- sign on Martina for another year or two

And who knows... make Mané an offer he can't refuse.

can't disagree much with those comments....but I'm sure some others will.

Cynic in me says that this doesn't mean anything and is a show to get season tickets renewals in before the bad news comes. I cant see the point in extending contract when he is one of the only players who we didn't need to worry about selling as he only just joined and would be expected to stay 2 seasons regardless of transfer rumours/offers. I'm normally optimistic and realistic about transfer windows but now I'm worried.

For the love of god.

Wanyama is almost certainly gone, and his going is completely unrelated to whether Virgil does or doesn't sign an extension.

8th, 7th then 8/7th in three consecutive seasons and your assessment is the club is being run by conmen trying to steal season ticket money on false pretences. Brilliant.

For the love of god.

Wanyama is almost certainly gone, and his going is completely unrelated to whether Virgil does or doesn't sign an extension.

8th, 7th then 8/7th in three consecutive seasons and your assessment is the club is being run by conmen trying to steal season ticket money on false pretences. Brilliant.

if Guan says Vic is going. you have to take it as the likely scenario. Not that it was not obvious anyway

Mane will be the interesting one

if Guan says Vic is going. you have to take it as the likely scenario. Not that it was not obvious anyway

Mane will be the interesting one

Two different scenarios really. Wanyama in his last year so we will sell and his contract status mean he's a relative bargain as we'll only get back about what we paid. He'll probably go to Spurs as a decent addition to the squad.

Mane is different in that I am yet to be convinced that one of the big six would really cough up thirty odd million for someone who has had a pretty patchy season for a potential elite player.

I'm just not sure he's worth what we would be demanding for him.

Look at it another way. Why would he sign for longer when he's only just joined? ...Yes he gets paid more

You answered your own question.

Glad the news is that he is staying and not leaving, but for now it's just a case of VVD getting paid more. If Bertrand signs a new deal in the next week or two then we may be on to something.

Is it not right that the clubs old direction was to bring youngsters into the first team with the aim of having at least half the team from the academy.

Koeman has shown he believes that none of them are good enough which I understand the powers that be are not impressed with.

Perhaps this new direction is just a reinforcement of the original plan so there will be no place for Ronald at the helm.

Reed is equally unimpressed with our u21s etc

Two different scenarios really. Wanyama in his last year so we will sell and his contract status mean he's a relative bargain as we'll only get back about what we paid. He'll probably go to Spurs as a decent addition to the squad.

Mane is different in that I am yet to be convinced that one of the big six would really cough up thirty odd million for someone who has had a pretty patchy season for a potential elite player.

I'm just not sure he's worth what we would be demanding for him.

Pretty confident that Mane will go to one of the big boys for a lot of money. Wouldn't be surprised to see 3 or 4 of them in for him at all.

Implications for Koeman are that it already means losing another two of his best players which according to his quotes, isn't something be wants to continue see happening.

You're kidding? What can we moan about now.

We could wonder whether the deal includes a release clause that is too low.

I am genuinely sorry to Alpine this thread up, but I don't find contract extensions/payrises reassuring at all. For instance, the last Southampton contract Lallana signed would still be active had he not left. Likewise Shaw would still be with us for the next two seasons.

The difference is that this contract must include a significant pay raise using the TV money that is going to be available from now on and, absent a release clause, it must have been made clear to him that he shouldn't sign if he wanted to be transferred in the next couple or three years.

He had four years left, so we were already in relative charge of any transfer, so all this means is that his agent has managed to get some of the new TV deal into his clients pocket. I can't imagine SFC instigated the talks. I guess that's the only way to keep top players...pay them top dollar. Is that really great news?

Of course it is. What would you want? That we shouldn't pay our good players better now that there is more money available and the new salary cap has been set so we know how much we can afford to add. (About 170K pounds a week according to my rough calculations--not counting the improved kit deal.)

Holding on to your key players is good I agree, but Everton forced some of theirs and look how badly they performed in the end?

Stomes to name just one has been ****e all season.

I would suggest that the board's judgment has been good here. The only player they forced to stay was Schneiderlin and they correctly determined that he would be professional about it.

This plan seems dead both because we seem to be in a bit of a academy drought and because it was never a practical plan for playing at the top half of the premier league. Is there a quality club in Europe that fields a squad that is half from its academy? This is not a rhetorical question. I would like to know the answer.

Edited by Redslo

Don't worry, this news will be forgotten once there is a rumour that another player will be off. The summer meltdown season is only days away! :smug:

Looking forward to it, always entertaining.

Don`t forget the "were gonna get relegated" threads to follow that too.....

Great times ahead:smug:

This plan seems dead both because we seem to be in a bit of a academy drought and because it was never a practical plan for playing at the top half of the premier league. Is there a quality club in Europe that fields a squad that is half from its academy? This is not a rhetorical question. I would like to know the answer.

Barcelona are close and have pretty much achieved this in recent years. It's a long term goal though, definitely not easy and if we hadn't been pilfered then we'd be achieving it now.

The difference is that this contract must include a significant pay raise using the TV money that is going to be available from now on and, absent a release clause, it must have been made clear to him that he shouldn't sign if he wanted to be transferred in the next couple or three years.

Of course it is. What would you want? That we shouldn't pay our good players better now that there is more money available and the new salary cap has been set so we know how much we can afford to add. (About 170K pounds a week according to my rough calculations--not counting the improved kit deal.)

I would suggest that the board's judgment has been good here. The only player they forced to stay was Schneiderlin and they correctly determined that he would be professional about it.

Barcelona?

Messi, Iniesta, Pedro, Xavi, Busquets, Puyol, Tello, Pique all came through the Barca academy - and then you have Bojan, Bartra, Muniesa, Romeu, Etc

Excellent news, nothing more than that. Interesting that the Beeb are quoting Les on their article saying that they hope VvD will be a pillar of Rons squad for years to come. Putting pressure on Ron to extend perhaps?

I saw Vic in his Range Rover on Friday as I was headed over to Marchwood.

He looked like he was driving, not sure what that means but I'm sure someone one here will make something if it

obviously off somewhere

Barcelona are close and have pretty much achieved this in recent years. It's a long term goal though, definitely not easy and if we hadn't been pilfered then we'd be achieving it now.

Barcelona have the advantage of stopping their young players going off to bigger clubs by virtue of them being Barcelona.

Athletic Bilbao as they can only have Basques...

Other than that Barcelona a few years ago must've been pretty close

Not quite sure why this is made such a huge deal, he was on a five year deal anyway when he came here eight months ago. Now extended by another two. I just hope some some trigger clause hasn't been inserted meaning he can leave if Liverpool offer 20mil or something. I'd rather see extensions signed by Wanyama, Mane, Koeman and Bertrand and co.

For the love of god.

Don't be daft CB that's not anywhere near what I said, and a tad over dramatic for you, I'm inferring that if the club feels bad news is coming with regard to players departing, and if they think it would be bad enough for many of our more sensitive fans to wet the bedsheets, then it makes good business sense for them to get as many sales done while the good times roll. A little announcement of an extra year on a already long contract just seems like a pretty pointless PR stunt, and so I wonder why and why now?

I think the club is genius when it comes to business decisions like these I certainly don't think low of them for it and am very chuffed with the progression, every year since the owner has come in we've been take up one step further, this is the first season where we might only do as well as the last which is phenomenal in itself.

Of course it is. What would you want? That we shouldn't pay our good players better now that there is more money available

Season ticket prices halved? Ok, so I'm in a dream world with that one, but IMO renegotiated contracts are for the players and agents to celebrate, not the fans.

VVD has had a great first season, but I don't see a contract renegotiated after just one year as something to shout about. It says more about the strength of the agent than the club IMO. Did we not pay a large transfer fee and contract him to do exactly what he did this season?

Let me ask you, when Payet renegotiated his deal less than a year after signing did you not think to yourself that his agent had perhaps just held a gun to the head of the west ham chairman?

The way I see it is they had Payet on a long enough contract to dictate his movement, but they were forced to pay him a shed load more, plus some extra years, or his agent would have forced a summer move. Payet got paid. And like you suggest, why not, the money was there. Celebrations though?

Equally, what do you think happened with VVD? was it saints that initiated new contract talks or his agent? There is no need to answer that question by the way.

Having said all that, paying players top top money (maybe more than they can get at a bigger club) is perhaps the only way to keep them. Let's see if it works with Virgil.

Not quite sure why this is made such a huge deal, he was on a five year deal anyway when he came here eight months ago. Now extended by another two. I just hope some some trigger clause hasn't been inserted meaning he can leave if Liverpool offer 20mil or something. I'd rather see extensions signed by Wanyama, Mane, Koeman and Bertrand and co.

Surely it's more likely the case that we've just given him a massive pay raise in return for increasing his release clause to something that would make all but the very top clubs think twice?

"Here for a couple more years.... "

Southampton defender Virgil van Dijk: "Our teamwork was fantastic and a little bit of quality from Steven Davis with two amazing goals. A great win, especially looking at the European qualification places. "Fraser Forster is an amazing goalie and he showed it at the end. A great save late on and a great win. On signing a new six-year deal: "I think Saints is a great club with a lot of ambition and it's on a lift. It's perfect for me to have signed a new deal and I'll be here for a couple more years."

Not unexpected, but makes clear a six year deal is mainly about club PR.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/35945708

Southampton defender Virgil van Dijk: "Our teamwork was fantastic and a little bit of quality from Steven Davis with two amazing goals. A great win, especially looking at the European qualification places. "Fraser Forster is an amazing goalie and he showed it at the end. A great save late on and a great win. On signing a new six-year deal: "I think Saints is a great club with a lot of ambition and it's on a lift. It's perfect for me to have signed a new deal and I'll be here for a couple more years."

He clearly means a couple more years on top of the contract he already had. Not I'll play 2 more years then leave.

**** me this place is still full of stupid idiots I see

Club can't win can they? If players contracts run down the club are at fault for letting it happen and not giving players longer contracts. So the club sign up a class player to a longer contract and it's all PR :rolleyes:

Club can't win can they? If players contracts run down the club are at fault for letting it happen and not giving players longer contracts. So the club sign up a class player to a longer contract and it's all PR :rolleyes:

What do you call it when a player says he'll only stay two more years two days after signing a six year contract? Bad memory? change of mind? Haggling for a raise and a new contract?

IIRC Clasie said the same thing after he signed - about being here for a couple of years. He means "a few" more years and it's said in a general sense.

I have a Spanish friend who I email every week. Until recently she thought "couple" meant "a few" and had no idea it means "two" in English.

What footballer signs a new contract then openly states the amount of time they're actually staying for?

What do you call it when a player says he'll only stay two more years two days after signing a six year contract? Bad memory? change of mind? Haggling for a raise and a new contract?

Doesn't matter what he says fans have been demanding the club tie players down to longer contracts. They have now tied down one of our best players to a six year contract what more do you want the club to do?

I call it something potentially lost in translation when a player is using a second language and doesn't fully know the meaning of the word "couple".

IIRC Clasie said the same thing after he signed - about being here for a couple of years. He means "a few" more years and it's said in a general sense.

I have a Spanish friend who I email every week. Until recently she thought "couple" meant "a few" and had no idea it means "two" in English.

What footballer signs a new contract then openly states the amount of time they're actually staying for?

Sure, I accept he may have meant "a few" - ie three. I have no problem with VvD, just the way some fans expectations of 'loyalty' are manipulated.

Sure, I accept he may have meant "a few" - ie three. I have no problem with VvD, just the way some fans expectations of 'loyalty' are manipulated.

Yeah ,I take your point about 'loyalty'.

If he stays for 2 or 3 or more years then that's great. If he leaves after 2 years we get a huge fee. So whatever, to me it's positive either way.

Seriously fluffed his lines today! Oh well, looks like we've got him for next year, which is awesome, and hopefully another one beyond that. If we get CL in the next two years that changes everything but I would suggest it's very unlikely that he will be here for the next 6 years.