Virgil van Dijk signs new six-year deal with Saints

Saint-Armstrong

He had four years left, so we were already in relative charge of any transfer, so all this means is that his agent has managed to get some of the new TV deal into his clients pocket. I can't imagine SFC instigated the talks. I guess that's the only way to keep top players...pay them top dollar. Is that really great news?

This is just awful, awful news .................... for Alpine!

For the rest of us this is just amazing on so many levels. Ronald sounded almost smug and indicated other deals were in the pipeline. This has the feeling of Ronald challenging the board to stem the bleeding of recent years and show some ambition and they have responded with a humongous deal for our most important player and with other deals hopefully to follow before the summer transfer madness kicks in. All of which leads, we hope, to the all important resigning of Ronald himself. At least he now knows he probably can't tale VVD to some other club if he leaves!

Wanyama will be off.[/quote

But to who though, can't see any of the top sides coughing up.

obviously to one of them.

he will cost what? about £15m. pocket change to an arsenal

probably off to spurs anyhow

6 years is pretty amazing! Of course, it only means he will sell for a higher price, but I hope not. Saints are about due for another long term stalwart who stays with us through thick and thin. I hope it turns out to be VVD!

Wanyama will be off.

Another summer of being linked with a fair few Defensive midfielder's again then. I have a list somewhere of all of last season's links - there were quite a few!

If UTD or Aresnal cough up, yes. Breaking into pure speculation now, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chelsea launch a bid.

Or City if Munich/Pep were as interested as the papers made out.

Wanyama will be off.

If UTD or Aresnal cough up, yes. Breaking into pure speculation now, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chelsea launch a bid.

Not surprised by Wanyama at all, fully expected him to go anyway. Mane, I think it is at around 75% he leaves anyway tbh- the other 25% being split like this: 5% chance of him signing a new contract, and 20% he leaves following summer.

However Guan, what can you tell us about Forster, Tadic and even Ronald? Any news on their contract situation? Surely Bertrand deserves one too maybe? Thanks

Not surprised by Wanyama at all, fully expected him to go anyway. Mane, I think it is at around 75% he leaves anyway tbh- the other 25% being split like this: 5% chance of him signing a new contract, and 20% he leaves following summer.

However Guan, what can you tell us about Forster, Tadic and even Ronald? Any news on their contract situation? Surely Bertrand deserves one too maybe?

Thanks

What i know: Ronald is perfectly happy to stay for his last contracted year, but is always hesitant about adding more, which was most evident in the middle of our bad form where the board presented him with a list of on-going concerns. Nothing has indicated he's jumping at the chance to add to his time here after that.

Speculation begins: I wouldn't be surprised if the board replace him in the summer, as an outgoing manager rarely inspires great displays of player commitment.

Plus we have a new direction in the works that K billy has told me about. But that's for him to comment on, not me. 3/3 posts

What i know: Ronald is perfectly happy to stay for his last contracted year, but is always hesitant about adding more, which was most evident in the middle of our bad form where the board presented him with a list of on-going concerns. Nothing has indicated he's jumping at the chance to add to his time here after that.

Speculation begins: I wouldn't be surprised if the board replace him in the summer, as an outgoing manager rarely inspires great displays of player commitment.

Plus we have a new direction in the works that K billy has told me about. But that's for him to comment on, not me. 3/3 posts

Thanks for the response mate :) glad to get an insight.

It doesn't surprise me too much with Ronald, he will have higher aspirations and he will do to us what he did to Feyenoord.

Let us hope Les has some ideas up his sleeves.

Not sure VVD would of committed to 6 years without knowing koemans plans

Not sure VVD would of committed to 6 years without knowing koemans plans
One would think that Koeman had played a role in getting to Van Dijk to sign an extension. Equally can't see the club being happy with Koeman running his contract down. We could do with whatever is going to happen being sorted before the end of May, can't see it though.

Not sure what new direction we're going to be going in either? Not the quality of young players coming through the youth teams to go down that route.

Ties in with the under armour 7 year deal. Maybe there is an investment plan in place where the club put in a concerted effort to get into top 4 and win something.

A potentially great sign that we have upped our ambition for the next few seasons.....the decisions on koeman, mane and wanyama will tell us a lot.

Or VVD has got more money in return for a chunky release clause and is good PR for the club at a traditionally tough period of the season.

We have seen some pretty talented central defenders at Saints over the years from Dave Watson onwards. Not just what I would term primarily stoppers, but ball players; Mark Wright, Ken Monkou, and Claus spring to mind.Toby was in this category too but was not 'ours' as he was only on loan. Killer was great but more of a stopper for me. Jose has been immense for us too and deserves enormous credit for his contribution over the last few years and as a worthy Captain. I've been watching Saints since being taken by my late father as a nipper to the Dell in the early 70's to the present, and in my opinion VVD is already equal to the best centre halves that I have seen for us and has the ability to be our greatest ever. That is not hyperbole- I wish we could clone him because he would be a phenomenal defensive midfielder too (and centre forward?). He is clearly our next skipper. Great news on the contract and let's see him be given responsibility for direct free kicks next season too as the heir apparent to Rickie.

^ agree with you re chimes with Under Armour deal.

They aren't a brand that will want to be associated with as also ran selling club. Investment and ambition both on the rise now for us.

As Leicester have shown, there is a place for pocket powerhouse clubs that are run very very tightly and scientifically almost, to offset the size and wealth of the mega clubs. Think Athletico Madrid.

just putting it out there, eh.

thanks for the info

Superb news. Shows the club are learning that rewarding players who excel early in a contract is a good way to protect your investment.

Clyne and Mane should both have been offered new terms 6 months into their deals.

****ing love VVD, great player and will go to the very top in his career.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Cynic in me says that this doesn't mean anything and is a show to get season tickets renewals in before the bad news comes. I cant see the point in extending contract when he is one of the only players who we didn't need to worry about selling as he only just joined and would be expected to stay 2 seasons regardless of transfer rumours/offers. I'm normally optimistic and realistic about transfer windows but now I'm worried.

Cynic in me says that this doesn't mean anything and is a show to get season tickets renewals in before the bad news comes. I cant see the point in extending contract when he is one of the only players who we didn't need to worry about selling as he only just joined and would be expected to stay 2 seasons regardless of transfer rumours/offers. I'm normally optimistic and realistic about transfer windows but now I'm worried.

Look at it another way. Why would he sign for longer when he's only just joined if not because he believes that he's in the right place and that we match his ambition (implying there is a plan he is confident in regarding player recruitment/retention and manager recruitment/retention)? Yes he gets paid more, but it does also mean he can't move quite as easily for a season or so (much higher fee). So its not completely hollow and is still a good sign.

In any case, lets see what happens. Hopefully we're all just used to the last couple of summers but hopefully we can have a summer more akin to the summer Everton had last season, holding onto their key players (but without the backward slide down the league next season and more of the European spot challenging).

Look at it another way. Why would he sign for longer when he's only just joined if not because he believes that he's in the right place and that we match his ambition (implying there is a plan he is confident in regarding player recruitment/retention and manager recruitment/retention)? Yes he gets paid more, but it does also mean he can't move quite as easily for a season or so (much higher fee). So its not completely hollow and is still a good sign.

In any case, lets see what happens. Hopefully we're all just used to the last couple of summers but hopefully we can have a summer more akin to the summer Everton had last season, holding onto their key players (but without the backward slide down the league next season and more of the European spot challenging).

Holding on to your key players is good I agree, but Everton forced some of theirs and look how badly they performed in the end?

Stomes to name just one has been ****e all season.