Saints v Palace build up & Match Thread

vince

I think this scenario has us 5th, not 6th, doesn't it?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Yes. 6th just needs us to win, Liverpool to drop points in either game, and west ham to lose one OR draw and then not win their other match by more goals than we beat palace.

Anyone know what time their steam train thing leaves Waterloo so us London based saints can avoid the delay it'll no doubt cause?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting from Clapham Junction I think on Southern rail line going via Selhurst and West Croydon for additional pick ups and takes about 3 hours so must be going down past Horsham / Barnham route and along from Chichester so shouldn't impact usual services. They sold out the train quickly but from what I understand one carriage is being used for club officials and another for the squad on the way back . I would never pay that price but like the idea of it for novelty factor.

We need to up our noise as well for this game. Last few games have been ok but really need to get the atmosphere rocking t help things along.

Have a word with the chapel end then. Like a f!cking library at the Man City game, I had to apologise to my son and explain that sometimes people don't want to sing

Palace fans don't seem overly bothered about the game, just want to keep everyone they can fit for the final http://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=160324&page=1

one of them makes a good point that Saints will be wanting Man Utd to win the cup if we finish 6th or 7th so it's in our interests to disrupt their build up as any injuries or suspensions for them will help our cause.

Palace fans don't seem overly bothered about the game, just want to keep everyone they can fit for the final http://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=160324&page=1

one of them makes a good point that Saints will be wanting Man Utd to win the cup if we finish 6th or 7th so it's in our interests to disrupt their build up as any injuries or suspensions for them will help our cause.

Was just speaking to a palace fan at work and all he's worried about is potential injuries/suspensions

Do we put SKD in goal if we're 3-0 up with 5 mins to go?

In order to do that you'd have to drop Stekelenburg from the bench. And what if its 0-0 and we have K.Davis on the bench rather than Stekelenburg and Forster gets injured after 5 minutes? There is a big drop in quality from Stekelenburg to Davis.

In order to do that you'd have to drop Stekelenburg from the bench. And what if its 0-0 and we have K.Davis on the bench rather than Stekelenburg and Forster gets injured after 5 minutes? There is a big drop in quality from Stekelenburg to Davis.

Very good point, but who says you can't have 2 GKs on the bench?

Edit: I'm not for it by the way, just curious enough to pose the question.

Should be a relatively easy win, considering they are bound to rest their key players. I was kinda hoping we'd have some youngsters on the bench hesketh or Jones, to sub them in if we're leading by a good two goals, i think they deserve it.

Chickens hatched?

I was kinda hoping we'd have some youngsters on the bench hesketh or Jones, to sub them in if we're leading by a good two goals, i think they deserve it.

And what if players get injured early in the match or we aren't winning the game and we need good options from the bench to change the game? The match day 18 is likely to be the strongest possible group Koeman can pick as he aims for Europe.

And what if players get injured early in the match or we aren't winning the game and we need good options from the bench to change the game? The match day 18 is likely to be the strongest possible group Koeman can pick as he aims for Europe.

Having Jones instead of yoshida on the bench shouldn't be too much of a step down, less experiance obviously but how confident do you feel with yosida getting on the pitch even for 15 minutes, heart in mouth every time the ball comes near him.

Having Jones instead of yoshida on the bench shouldn't be too much of a step down, less experiance obviously but how confident do you feel with yosida getting on the pitch even for 15 minutes, heart in mouth every time the ball comes near him.

Dont think so..at all.....

Should be a relatively easy win, considering they are bound to rest their key players. I was kinda hoping we'd have some youngsters on the bench hesketh or Jones, to sub them in if we're leading by a good two goals, i think they deserve it.

Goal difference could play a part personally rather see our best 11 and our strongest bench. Palace have already beaten us twice this season.

West Ham at home?

Goal difference could play a part personally rather see our best 11 and our strongest bench. Palace have already beaten us twice this season.

Actually there is no scenario where improving our goal difference will make a difference.

Edit: except if we lose and Liverpool draw. Then losing by more than one would matter.

Edited by Shroppie

No way!

This is a must win and no messing about with a winning settled side should be considered.

Kelvin's testimonial is the best time to bring on our youngsters for some of the match, because they are our future. But not against Palarse who will be fielding players keen to prove their Cup final credentials.

Not only does Yoshida get whipped by us fans and is the scapegoat, but also clearly his wife haha ;)

but in all honesty, I like the bloke, think he is a good solid Prem centreback, arguably a botton half regular- but hes done a job for us and with Fontes or VVD's direction, does a job if needed.

I think this scenario has us 5th, not 6th, doesn't it?

A chocolate bar is on its way to you, sir. You spotted my deliberate mistake. That scenario would indeed have us finishing 5th!

Well, the set of 'hopeful predictions' is still on btw. West Ham did win, and Liverpool drew. If Begovic knew how to make a fist and had punched that cross away, it would have been a Chelsea win, but hey ho.

I can't see Bournemouth getting anything at OT, so 6th is looking best scenario...if Stoke can do us favour by beating Wet Spam.

Must win game!

IMO, most likely scenario:

Man City draw with [bizarrely resurgent] Swansea

Man Utd beat Bournemouth

West Ham beat ['nothing to play for'] Stoke

Saints beat Palace

Liverpool draw with [often surprising at strange moments] West Brom

so

4th Man City 66pts

5th Man Utd 66pts

6th West Ham 65pts

7th Saints 63pts

8th Liverpool 60pts

But this is football, so who knows...?

The lads are really fired up for this.

They should be equally "fired up" for all 38 games. Maybe that's why Leicester got c.20 points more than us? They played every game like it was an end of season decider?

(Ooh-er... Trousers actually expressing an opinion rather than waffling on about nothing in particular :) )

Edited by trousers

They should be equally "fired up" for all 38 games. Maybe that's why Leicester got c.20 points more than us? They played every game like it was an end of season decider?

(Ooh-er... Trousers actually expressing an opinion rather than waffling on about nothing in particular :) )

I am not sure I like this new serious Trousers!! I preferred the rambling, older version lol!!

I am not sure I like this new serious Trousers!! I preferred the rambling, older version lol!!

Fret ye not squire... I've only let the serious one out of the box for a couple of hours. Normal service to be resumed shortly :)

p.s. it does genuinely annoy me ever so slightly though when players trot out the "we're really fired up for this one" line.

And a good opinion too, I like it!

@CPFC: AP: "Joe Ledley's injury has been a blow to us this week. There's one or to we need to protect for this fixture."

@CPFC: AP: "Wilf is not going to make this fixture and we'll have to wait and see if he makes the cup final."

@CPFC: AP: "Southampton are a superb club with supporters that trust the team and manager. They're the form team in the PL at the moment."

@CPFC: AP: "Sunday is a big game for us because the four place swing is a lot of prize money. There's been no problem with focus."

@CPFC: AP: "I don't think anyone underestimates Southampton. The CEO and manager are experienced and we are envious of their facilities"

Nothing about team news. Brilliant.

I'm guessing everyone is fit then?

c.5 minutes live broadcast today. Breaks the previous record by some margin. Maybe the media department have got lots more announcements lined up today so have to crack on with that instead.... :)

Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC

Midfielder @JordyClasie is #SaintsFC's only absentee for Sunday's game against #CPFC, @RonaldKoeman has confirmed

Thank you :)

I'd do same team as last week, except JWP for Clasie then. Maybe the new contract will give him a boost in confidence.

Thank you :)

I'd do same team as last week, except JWP for Clasie then. Maybe the new contract will give him a boost in confidence.

Romeu would be unlucky to miss out, he was excellent when he came on last week.

--------------------------- Forster ----------------------------

Martina ------- Fonte --------------- VvD --------- Bertrand

-------------- Wanyama --------- Romeu --------------------

--------------------------- Davis ------------------------------

----- Mane --------------- Long ------------------ Tadic -----

Subs: SKD :) , Cedric, Yoshida, JWP, JRod, Pelle, Austin

--------------------------- Forster ----------------------------

Martina ------- Fonte --------------- VvD --------- Bertrand

-------------- Wanyama --------- Romeu --------------------

--------------------------- Davis ------------------------------

----- Mane --------------- Long ------------------ Tadic -----

Subs: SKD :) , Cedric, Yoshida, JWP, JRod, Pelle, Austin

If Forster is injured on 5 minutes, would you be happy with Davis playing the rest of the game instead of Stekenlenburg? I wouldn't, as for as great as Davis has been for this club it is a big drop in quality between the two. I can't see Koeman wanting to potentially risk a European spot for sentiment. The testimonial is the day for Davis, not Sunday.