Claude Puel Announced as New Manager - OFFICIAL

Jimmy_D

I was totally non-plussed. Now quite enthused and optimistic after reading and listening to some informed opinions. If you can't be optimistic preseason then what's up!?

Welcome Claude.

More enthusiastic than I would have been if it had been Sherwood, Warnock, Chris Powell and that cockwomble Brendan Rodgers

I'm pleased, it's done and we can move forward. We all knew Wanyama and Mane would leave, now a manager comes in with a clean slate. My only concern is how much we'll spend. I'd have hope for 40m+ in the current climate without sales, and we do need 3 or 4 top signings now. Hopefully the money will be there for him.

Sounds like we'll be playing some decent football anyway and he has plenty of time to assess the squad. Compared to the rushed nature and mid-season panic of most appointments, we do this stuff pretty well.

I`m not so much hoping we will spend £x amount, just want the money spent well and to date we have not done to bad..

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

Targett was consistently one of our best players when we switched to the 3-5-2, he was comfortably good enough then. Reed just needs some experience to help with his decision-making and to stop chucking himself into late tackles. The question is how long we're prepared to accommodate players learning when we're still trying to finish as high up the league as possible. The Europa League MIGHT give some of the kids a chance this season, we'll see how the club approaches it.

Really? I thought he looked bang average when we switched to 3-5-2 even though he wasn't so exposed defensively anymore. IMO he only received praise because he provided a couple of assists, but for every cross he got right I can remember him fluffing one and drilling it straight into their RB.

Put it this way, if he wasn't an academy product then i'd be pretty ****ed off we spent money on him.

But that's just my opinion :)

Apologies if this has been asked/answered - SSN mentioned Wenger has been involved somehow in this.....in what way? Selling us to him/him to us?

He managed Puel, then encouraged him to join the coaching staff. Had him as youth coach, fitness coach, head of academy etc.

Presume there were conversations with Wenger for Puel/Saints at some stage.

Very happy with Puel's appointment. Liked what I saw of Nice circa 2014/15 and people here trashing the level of Ligue 1 play are crazy. Good players, good tactics, the only thing missing is stupid salaries and roster stability.

Understand the trepidation for those who haven't watched much Ligue 1, but give the club the benefit of the doubt, please!

I was a Pellegrini guy from day one but the idea that he would offer us some sort of magical "top club" legitimacy is wishful thinking at best.

Apologies if this has been asked/answered - SSN mentioned Wenger has been involved somehow in this.....in what way? Selling us to him/him to us?

Wenger wants an inside man to ask who is the next failed southampton signing he wants to groom from us.............!

errrrr, says that errrrrrr quite a lot. He's a young Arsene Wenger clone.

Overmas, Vieira, Bergkamp and Henry 2.0 coming in and I title challenge I'll take that

4th place, I'll take that too.

In fact a top half finish and a cup final that'll do me :D

Edited by Saint IQ

Seems like a decent option good solid experience in France and hopefully given a bit of a budget over here will prove an astute choice. I don't for minute think we are going to see a repeat of the portaloo experiment with youth but I would at least like to see some given the chance unlike last season when they seemed to be roundly ignored particularly reed who I though had a breakthrough season the year before.

It's very clear that the club did a solid job on checking out the candidates and that they had strong Short List. For Puel to come through that process says all that I need to know. My overall impression of him, and the new coaching team is very positive. I'll be interested to see Claude's style in the technical area, where Koeman was usually rather laid back. We're told Puel is 'quiet' so perhaps there won't be any climbing onto the dugout roof, which might happen at Chelsea.

I like the fact that the coaching team seems to have been assembled on their merit it's been put together without just bringing a new manager's usual sidekicks or mates.

I haven't seen confirmation that Sammy Lee has gone, although someone mentioned a job in the North East. Lee's job has been assistant first team coach so is that a role that one of the new guy's now has? Sorry to see Sammy go as he impressed me with his enthusiasm but I like what I see of the new team, espacially the appointment of Eric Black. His record looks very strong and I can see him being a step up on Erwin.

Its a lot easier to blood youngsters into the first XI when you are are in L1 or the Championship (as we showed) - but trying to blood them into a team that is (apparently) trying to get top 4 is nigh on impossible, especially with the youngsters we have at the club.

Not disagreeing I was saying the same during the mid season slump but plenty were advocating bringing in the youth at that time so they should be happy now....

The club could have easily gone for Pelligrini, just for the sake of a name and an 'instant' lift. But in my eyes, that would have been lazy in terms of long-term planning.

We're a club who doesn't just look at what tomorrow brings, we look years ahead - so it makes sense that we get ourselves a manager who can embrace what we do and potentially grow the club over the coming years. Pelligrini would have seemed very short-termist and not within our beliefs at all, and whilst an attractive option, I'm glad the club have one again looked outside the box and appointed someone who may not be well known, but clearly ticks a lot of the boxes for what we want in a manager.

And as we've learned over the years, this isn't a 'one man' operation - it's a case of everyone pulling in one direction for the same goals, they don't need to be big names or massive ego's, but if they embrace what we want to do and can bring their qualities to it, then it will only make us better.

He really does tick all the boxes, very MP-esque in his style and how he likes to play. Time will tell if the club have pulled another rabbit from the hat, but history tells you it's fine to be optimistic about this.

It's very clear that the club did a solid job on checking out the candidates and that they had strong Short List. For Puel to come through that process says all that I need to know. My overall impression of him, and the new coaching team is very positive. I'll be interested to see Claude's style in the technical area, where Koeman was usually rather laid back. We're told Puel is 'quiet' so perhaps there won't be any climbing onto the dugout roof, which might happen at Chelsea.

I like the fact that the coaching team seems to have been assembled on their merit it's been put together without just bringing a new manager's usual sidekicks or mates.

I haven't seen confirmation that Sammy Lee has gone, although someone mentioned a job in the North East. Lee's job has been assistant first team coach so is that a role that one of the new guy's now has? Sorry to see Sammy go as he impressed me with his enthusiasm but I like what I see of the new team, espacially the appointment of Eric Black. His record looks very strong and I can see him being a step up on Erwin.

Pretty sure the official site statement included something like "Sammy Lee has left the club, we thank him for all his efforts during his time here".

i came to a couple of games in the 12/13 season and have had a season ticket ever since - so a relative newcomer to The Saints family. After paying for my first full season ticket I had to witness the departure of both the manager and a bunch of key players. The season was still fantastic, especially thumping Arsenal on New Years Day. Morgan left, FF on long term injury & Alderweireld went back to Spurs. Last season was brilliant - The Aresenal thumped again, the amazing 3-2 victory against Liverpool and turning MC over.

Sorry to see RK leave and sad at the frankly shabby way he conducted himself at the end. Mane had become a 'show pony', playing when it suited him and keeping possession for a couple of touches too many. Wanyama was great when he was up for it but a waste of time when he wasn't.

I'm really looking forward to next season. Puel looks to have the right sort of attributes to make visits to St Mary's an exciting prospect.

The messages from the French media seem very positive. Of course, it's too early to judge either way but I think Les Reed and the black box may have pulled a rabbit out of the hat.

I also hope that, unlike his predecessor, the academy lads are, at the very least, given a chance. If they're no good, they're no good but it seems like they were written off before kicking a ball. Let's hope Puel is more favourable to the Southampton Way.

Apparently Plancque is Assistant first team coach, does this mean there will be more appoinments?

Where does it say Kelvin will be goalkeepng coach.

Not pleased that Hunter has bewn retained. Would have liked to see the running of the Academy given an upgrade.

Bienvenue Monsieur Puel. Merde pour l'avenir a Southampton

I think this is more about promoting the academy (to prospective new entrants) and building the 'brand' again rather than actually doing well in football. It could be good because I liked what Georges Prost brought to the club and feel much of that has been lost but it could be too comparable to Lowe's 'balance the books' approach which ultimately will only lead to a downward spiral as it did last time. I do get the impression that this might be the beginning of a 'showcase' period where the club will be looked to be sold - possibly a majority shareholding as has happened at Everton - but that that will be a period that lasts a few years. I think a problem with lots of the academy is what is wrong with the likes of JWP - they're not physically capable enough - and I can't really see e.g. Hesketh et al making the step up as they'll never be able to impose themselves on games properly.

Puel, I am sure wants to do well - Gallic arrogance and all - and should have a lot of good players to do well with.

There's a lot of spin around what a 'clever' appointment it is and that hints at it being a business decision rather than a footballing one and I doubt very much Puel was the first on the list; I think Garcia was.

I expect a tighter league than last year with the possible exception of Hull and maybe WBA if Pulis goes but with 2 or 3 very strong teams who will beat most teams (Chelsea, Man City and a.n. other) and for us to have the 'plucky loser' tag applied to us like we used to.

James ward prowess was given hi first league start at the start of the premier league season. I wonder if this chap will start the season with a surprise player? Eg slattery or similar. If I were a young place at the club I would have my tail up and be working double hard to impress this man !!!

Welcome Claude.

Thought this bit was interesting in the statement -

Have any of our players played under him before? Or am I misinterpreting that?

The way I'm reading it, it would be feedback on previous manager experience, not feedback on selection of new. All the same still quite interesting.

Bad choice in my opinion. Especially with Eric Black involved. Les has proven me wrong before so let's hope this one does the same. But I can't help thinking this has got disaster written all over it.

Can I ask why you think this is a bad choice?

I really don't get the "but les has proved me wrong before" bit in a lot of these posts? It's like your hedging bets as if it doesn't work out you can say oh I was never convinced. Puel has got good credentials. EB is a coach not the manager - the other guy I don't know enough about to make any judgement. Overall though I'm happy enough.

Our black box is like a bouncer, if your names not down your not coming in

Welcome to Southampton Claude, good luck with the adventure!

I'm looking forward to seeing if our new recruits have a more Gallic influence from now on - the end of the Dutch inspired era? The next few weeks should be exciting with (hopefully!) some new signings coming our way, but no more player departures.

Another exciting season to come :)

Southampton's pattern of signing off-the-radar, potentially underrated managers from outside England has continued. After getting good returns from the hires of Mauricio Pochettino and Ronald Koeman -- both on the pitch and in their buyouts when they moved on -- the Saints have brought in another similar manager in Claude Puel.

Puel is an experienced manager, having been in charge at Monaco, Lille, Lyon and Nice over the past 17 years. He has a good track record with bringing young players into the first team, something Southampton said was a major factor in his hiring. Puel got Nice to overperform in Ligue 1 last year and is also partially responsible for the career resurrection of Hatem Ben Arfa. Nice finished fourth in France last season, and with an impressive plus-17 goal differential, too.

While their rivals are chasing big name managers, Southampton might have fleeced everyone again by grabbing the best person for their job on the market.

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2016/6/30/12067588/southampton-might-have-found-another-hidden-gem-in-claude-puel