Claude Puel Announced as New Manager - OFFICIAL

Jimmy_D

If it worked for the Leave camp, why not Saints? Shoot for the moon and make wild promises then get someone else to make a plan...

You could argue the same tactics were employed by the substantially better funded remain campaign. I guess you could say... money is not as important as many (those with it) would like us all to believe...

Well at least we know he speaks English although it's a bit broken.

Probably a good idea to get Eric Black in whilst Puel improves his English.

Agreed. He has a bit to learn in order to make proper sense, but at least he's a step up on Pochettino who couldn't give a talk to the media without his interpreter.

The key questions are:

How much money has he got to reinforce the squad? Should be more than any other year we've know.

Who can he attract?

What are his objectives? Last 4 UEFA, top 5 PL? Nothing else would be progress would it?

Who is providing him with his PL depth of advice? Squad, form, tactics etc That will be key. Where's his coaching team? Aston Villa failures are not exactly inspiring.

Hopefully he's making some assessments rapidly during training and being backed. With Koeman still here we probably only needed 2-3 high quality players to kick on IMHO, we were rocking and for the first time in PL history that I can remember very strong at the end of the season. Now? Two high quality players out and more to go - one mid range youngster with potential in.

...and we need another keeper.

Going to be interesting..... But key debate is how much money do we think he should have?

As fans, all we need to do is demand what we want in termas of success. We don't need to present a fail-proof master plan. That's the beauty of being a fan.

Figuring out your own plan without any real idea of the club's day to day finances, resources, personanal issues etc is just an exercise in futility......So I don't do it.

It would help if so many 'expert' fans stopped dissing their own players and pillering scapegoats, especially young players. Give them a chance to succeed.

Going to be interesting..... But key debate is how much money do we think he should have?

and this is why I hate football. Money, money, money. Is there nothing more to football than how much money you can spend? What a truly **** "sport" it is if that is it.

The key questions are:

How much money has he got to reinforce the squad? Should be more than any other year we've know.

Who can he attract?

What are his objectives? Last 4 UEFA, top 5 PL? Nothing else would be progress would it?

Who is providing him with his PL depth of advice? Squad, form, tactics etc That will be key. Where's his coaching team? Aston Villa failures are not exactly inspiring.

Hopefully he's making some assessments rapidly during training and being backed. With Koeman still here we probably only needed 2-3 high quality players to kick on IMHO, we were rocking and for the first time in PL history that I can remember very strong at the end of the season. Now? Two high quality players out and more to go - one mid range youngster with potential in.

...and we need another keeper.

So last season we bundled out of the Europa League in pre-qualifying but you're saying that for the coming season nothing outside of getting to the semi finals would be progress?

Okay then.

I personally hope that our most expensive signing during this window is Redmond. Much happier when we find players like Tadic and Mane that other clubs fans can get excited about for a couple of seasons before we sell them and they go downhill.

I agree. Look at Palace and their ridiculous attempts at signing £30m players. It's not overly difficult spending lots of money, but it isn't a good business model. As it is Benteke says he will go to CP if they increase his wages - at least that is honest. Horrid club and if they want him from L'pool they will have to entice him financially.

I hope the whole house of cards comes crashing down. Fees of £30m from lower mid table clubs, £50m from highrt up and now word of £100m for Pogba. Wages of £200-300k a week. Neymar buy out clause €200m rising to €250m. The whole thing is ****ing mad and the sooner it crashes, the better.

So last season we bundled out of the Europa League in pre-qualifying but you're saying that for the coming season nothing outside of getting to the semi finals would be progress?

Okay then.

I'm interested in what you regard as progress next season? Do tell? I'm not happy entering any competition to do anything other than win it, but I've traded down. So make your pitch for what success will look like next season to demonstrate progress.

I'm interested what people think.

If ambition is low then = less money needed or reinforcement.

I want to win the league and Europa Cup personally. But as long as I can see progress towards that goal then I'm happy to acknowledge that the new manager has been supported enough this Summer by a club with (from what seems likely) the most amount of money in the bank than it's ever had in its history.

So come on ... Set the clubs aim for the rest of us in your eyes... From there we can discuss constructively how much we need to give the manager compared to our rivals and whom to replace, where to reinforce and how to 'March on'.

So what's your aim for 2016/17?

I want to win the league and Europa Cup personally.

So come on ... Set the clubs aim for the rest of us in your eyes... From there we can discuss constructively how much we need to give the manager compared to our rivals and whom to replace, where to reinforce and how to 'March on'.

I want us to win the world cup.

I'm interested in what you regard as progress next season? Do tell? I'm not happy entering any competition to do anything other than win it, but I've traded down. So make your pitch for what success will look like next season to demonstrate progress.

I want to win the league and Europa Cup personally. But as long as I can see progress towards that goal then I'm happy to acknowledge that the new manager has been supported enough this Summer by a club with (from what seems likely) the most amount of money in the bank than it's ever had in its history.

Do you think we should be putting in a £30m bid for Benteke? Does that show ambition or does that show folly? Are Palace more ambitious than us?

You seem to be saying that success is down to how much we can spend. Fine, but does that mean the managerial appointment is irrelevant?

Me, if it just comes down to who can throw as much money at the thing as possible, I think on balance, I would prefer to ply my trade in the Championship, although having said that, that is now completely ruined with ridiculous parachute payments. Maybe I should just go an support Bashley Town.

Sorry to read another jibe about the club appointing Aston Villa failures. Presumably that is aimed at Eric Black who has an excellent CV to support his appointment as Assistant Manager at Southampton. Being a coach at Villa for about 3 and a half months when relegation was already as certain as it could be, is like blaming a shop assistant at BHS for the company going broke. Pleased to see lot of people are far more positive about the new Saints' management team. The last two Assistant Managers, Jesus and Erwin, were both very much in the shadow of their bosses. I have a feeling we will see more of Eric Black than we did of his predecessors and that we will like what we see.

Progress= Enjoying watching my team play good football again,and not spending loads of money on overpaid prima donnas.

Remaining in the premier league.

A good cup run would be nice.

The key questions are:

How much money has he got to reinforce the squad? ..... But key debate is how much money do we think he should have?

Nope - that is not the key question - the key question is how well we spend the money we have. - You can pay a lot of money for relative dross.

I'm interested in what you regard as progress next season? Do tell?

I know this wasn't to me, but I'll add my thoughts anyway.

Success for me would be seeing 4-5 academy players playing regularly and looking quality. I'd be happy with 8th-14th in the league, a decent cup run and a couple of European wins. I don't expect us to win the league (domestic or Europa), and I'm ok with that if our academy is getting back on track.

Just listening to the Football Weekly podcast and their French journo says that Puel is an excellent appointment.

Stated he did well at Monaco, not so at Lyon but they were in a phase of decline anyway but his time at His last club was fantastic. Played beautiful football and won plenty of games where they were completely written off

I personally hope that our most expensive signing during this window is Redmond. Much happier when we find players like Tadic and Mane that other clubs fans can get excited about for a couple of seasons before we sell them and they go downhill.

Before we get to the point of further signings, there are 8 weeks left in the transfer window and you need to worry about who else might decide "Out" once they return to training and see what's left of our team and staff around them. Didn't see Tadic or van Dyke yet and Pelle surely will be getting scent offer from Italy. Redmond is hardly the sort of signing to set other player's pulses running especially when you've spent the summer rubbing shoulders with world class players and opponents.

and this is why I hate football. Money, money, money. Is there nothing more to football than how much money you can spend? What a truly **** "sport" it is if that is it.

That is the sad state of football unfortunately, since '93.

Honestly, I reckon fans celebrate a signing more than a goal.

That is the sad state of football unfortunately, since '93.

Honestly, I reckon fans celebrate a signing more than a goal.

This. I'm looking forward to seeing what Puel can do with some of our youngsters.

The whole thing is ****ing mad and the sooner it crashes, the better.

Careful...

Jebus, the entire human race is a house of cards. All things must pass. The trick is to enjoy life and everything in it while it lasts. Some people must6 lead truly depressing lives.

Redmond is hardly the sort of signing to set other player's pulses running especially when you've spent the summer rubbing shoulders with world class players and opponents.

All those players in the quarter-finals, you mean? From Wales and Iceland and Poland, or do you mean English and Spanish world class players? Funny thing, football, what with being a team game n' all...

Because he heard it on talksport.

because we have zero experience in having a decent season and a cup run, let alone a decent season, a cup run and going very deep into a european competition.

throw in that we are letting more of our better players leave at the same time

be lucky to get out of the groups IMO

certainly, as suggested above - progression of the club should not hang on whether we make the semi finals of the Europa League or not

Jebus, the entire human race is a house of cards. All things must pass. The trick is to enjoy life and everything in it while it lasts. Some people must6 lead truly depressing lives.

Or some can prioritize life and see what is important and what is just a crock of ****

because we have zero experience in having a decent season and a cup run, let alone a decent season, a cup run and going very deep into a european competition.

throw in that we are letting more of our better players leave at the same time

be lucky to get out of the groups IMO

certainly, as suggested above - progression of the club should not hang on whether we make the semi finals of the Europa League or not

No offence but sounds like you are supporting the wrong team. Life is too short be that angry or frustrated. Me, I am still wallowing in the warm glow of us still having a club and being back in the PL too boot - long may this "crap" run continue :lol:

No offence but sounds like you are supporting the wrong team. Life is too short be that angry or frustrated. Me, I am still wallowing in the warm glow of us still having a club and being back in the PL too boot - long may this "crap" run continue :lol:

not angry, or frustrated. Just saying why I do not think we will make the semi-final of the Europa League and why not doing will not mean we have not progressed.

be good to make the semi final of the league cup, let alone a european one

Or some can prioritize life and see what is important and what is just a crock of ****

Footy and sport in general is relatively unimportant compared to most things. It is someting we simply choose to indulge ourselves in as a distraction from the more important things, like where the next meal is coming from, or what will I do if my legs both fall off tomorrow. The financial infrastructure of the game is what it is for the time being. Tomorrow it may be something different. However, it is not neccesarily **** simply because an individual does not like the way it tastes.

What does this actually involve doing?
as in all things there is no silver bullet but as far as I can see the club is set up to provide others for success. Our fans will be paying high season ticket prices and buy merchandise to pay a lot of the overheads and then the club develops players to sell on at massive profits, which disappear into the ether.

I agree we don't want ot be a bankrupt club and also high transfer fees don't guarantee success, but do you not envy clubs even smaller than us who have won trophies in the last 10 years or so?

It seems to me our fans are happy to live with bragging that we finished 6th /7th or 14th. I feel we are being cynically used and have been brainwashed that there is some kind of moral high ground to find and develop players who then go onto play at bigger clubs.

IMO if the club really want to develop the club as a worldwide brand they actually need to win stuff as the people in China USA and Japan etc are not prepared to o follow also rans.

A difficult thing to balance but IMO we need to show a but more ambition.

Disappears into the ether? Are you truly that dumb?

Have you looked at the accounts? This myth about us selling players and the owners pocketing the money is just that: a myth. If the money was disappearing into the ether our owners would not be owed multi-millions.

Or do you think she is quietly taking the cash back to Switzerland in plastic bags?

We are run as a sustainable club and we are currently punching way above our weight. If you cannot be happy with finishing 6th/7th and getting into Europe consistently then I truly pity you - this is one hell of an achievement when you consider at least 7 clubs generate 3-4 times more revenue than us.

Still - we're being cynically used. What a completely daft statement.

Phillipe Auclair (not a Saints fan) on the Guardian podcast re: Saints employing Puel:

"Excellent choice... I wouldn't say he's an upgrade on Ronald Koeman... Came in at Lyon when things were very difficult financially... Admirable work with Nice... The way he gets them to play is one of the most pleasant teams to watch in France.. A team which has won games that nobody gave them a chance to win... People thought that Nice would be kind of mid table, and they've done far far better than that and its to his credit... very good choice indeed by the Saints board."

as in all things there is no silver bullet but as far as I can see the club is set up to provide others for success. Our fans will be paying high season ticket prices and buy merchandise to pay a lot of the overheads and then the club develops players to sell on at massive profits, which disappear into the ether.

I agree we don't want ot be a bankrupt club and also high transfer fees don't guarantee success, but do you not envy clubs even smaller than us who have won trophies in the last 10 years or so?

It seems to me our fans are happy to live with bragging that we finished 6th /7th or 14th. I feel we are being cynically used and have been brainwashed that there is some kind of moral high ground to find and develop players who then go onto play at bigger clubs.

IMO if the club really want to develop the club as a worldwide brand they actually need to win stuff as the people in China USA and Japan etc are not prepared to o follow also rans.

A difficult thing to balance but IMO we need to show a but more ambition.

You don't half write some utter drivel.

Disappear into the ether = I have no idea of the club's finance strategy.

And why the hell would we? We are fans, not board members.

Haha we scoffed at Everton when they told us of their £100m budget and how it would inflate their transfer fees more ;)

Yet we want to know our budget looool.

Haha we scoffed at Everton when they told us of their £100m budget and how it would inflate their transfer fees more ;)

Yet we want to know our budget looool.

Exactly. Keeping it on the down low from the opposition means Saints have to leave us fans out of the loop too. I don't even want to know what our war chest is.

not angry, or frustrated. Just saying why I do not think we will make the semi-final of the Europa League and why not doing will not mean we have not progressed.

be good to make the semi final of the league cup, let alone a european one

Fair enough Batman. Think we would all love a good episode led by commissioner Reed rescuing downtown St. Mary's and it's new flock :-)

OK it's Claude Puel, but we're not the only Prem. club starting the season with a new manager, and it's down to who they are as a much as the new players they'll sign.

Whilst Wenger starts his 20th season (!) as Arsenal manager, some of the other "so-called" big clubs are having to start from scratch with new bosses.

In no particular order....Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Everton and not forgetting Watford ...(for whom Manager of the Month has another meaning), will all need to prove themselves anew, and there will be a few bruised egos come Christmas as they all try to sqeeze into the top four, and elbow out Leicester, Arsenal and Tottenham.

Even the deafening fanfares that accompanied Jörgen Klott (sorry Klopp) on his arrival at L'pool have died away, as he failed to win two cups and L'pool finished (by their lofty standards)....a miserable 8th position and with no prospect of any European football next season. Jörgen's answer...".buy another Saints player ".....:D

Lots of people seem to be expecting Jose and Zlatan to flatten the Prem. with their " Special relationship " at United, whilst watching to see who Pep signs at Citeh, and in turn wait for the stream of Italian players following Conte into Stamford Bridge.......Oh! ...this way Graziano......

....Am I the ony one who feels that Koeman's new job at Everton might not be " the Walk in the Park " that he thinks it is?......He may be in for a rude awakening.

So at the end of the day (or should I say) ..the start of the season...Saints' famed "Softly, Softly " approach in signing Puel may yet surprise a few people.

One thing we can be sure of is that whilst many of our fans are quietly smiling at the prospect of the first few home fixtures......Claude will very soon find out what the Prem. is all about in the early season away games. If he's really the man for the job....it'll be a good chance to prove himself.

Edited by david in sweden