Claude Puel Announced as New Manager - OFFICIAL

Jimmy_D

I just think that the fans moral has been knocked as we get to a decent position year on year and or heroes are sold from beneath us. Slowly people will be turned off as they will see that they are being mugged off.

If the plan is to develop and sell, perhaps the owners should drop the ticket prices

Maybe, but that has little to do with the capabilities (or lack of) of the manager.

chill out mate. I just have a different opinion to you which you cant accept or ignore.

Now getting a tad personal.

chill out.

I always love it when people turn round and tel others to chill out. As a matter of fact, I am extremely "chilled", but thank you for your concern. But hey it's no big deal if you don't understand the salient point.

Maybe, but that has little to do with the capabilities (or lack of) of the manager.
No but it does have something to do with the fans perceptions. I agree with both of you, in that we have to give the manager time and he could turn out to be a gem, but also that batman is correct in that you dont have to have worked in the game to be able to assess a player etc.

I always love it when people turn round and tel others to chill out. As a matter of fact, I am extremely "chilled", but thank you for your concern. But hey it's no big deal if you don't understand the salient point.

dismissing opinions other than your own and calling people simple because you dont agree with them

fair enough.

I rate Redmond, and he should be out there, but he is not a striker in my book. I am very uncomfortable with Puel picking a formation and then "back fitting" the squad into it. He plays Redmond out of position (I guess to prove he can make him the next Thierry), and puts the only striker we have who has scored lots of goals in the PL on the bench for 80 minutes. Why not look at the team and modify the formation to play to its strengths. Let's remember, Watford suck.

Don't want to judge Puel just yet but he doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I'm the same, reluctant to jump to a conclusion so early but not seen much in his short period here or his previous roles to inspire much confidence.

1st half yesterday was some of the most depressing football I've seen from Saints possibly in the last 5/6 years.

2nd half covered a few cracks and was a vast improvement but still failed to beat a very mediocre side with 10 men.

I worry about next Friday and feel we could get hammered to be honest

Fans and players alike seem a lot uninspired by the boards philosophy and ambition (lack there of)

I'm the same, reluctant to jump to a conclusion so early but not seen much in his short period here or his previous roles to inspire much confidence.

1st half yesterday was some of the most depressing football I've seen from Saints possibly in the last 5/6 years.

2nd half covered a few cracks and was a vast improvement but still failed to beat a very mediocre side with 10 men.

I worry about next Friday and feel we could get hammered to be honest

Fans and players alike seem a lot uninspired by the boards philosophy and ambition (lack there of)

In a strange way I hope we get a right dicking. It might make people (fans and the board) realise that you can't sell the spine of the team and replace it with mediocrity. All that talk about turning us into a top 6 team who play 'regular' European football feels a long way off at the moment.

In a strange way I hope we get a right dicking. It might make people (fans and the board) realise that you can't sell the spine of the team and replace it with mediocrity. All that talk about turning us into a top 6 team who play 'regular' European football feels a long way off at the moment.

Talk is cheap mate and some of that chat we give out is embarrassing

Happy to wager anyone on here that we WILL NOT finish top 6 this season.... Anyone fancy a £20/30/50 wager?

Soooo....

You'd rather lose to prove we're sh*t, rather than win away to one of the title contenders and briefly go top because that might prove that we're actually half decent.

What a weird, self-fulfilling project that is. You hope we're really sh*t because that would prove that we're really sh*t.

Christ this forum is full of spineless WUM pr1cks at the moment. Not sure what joy they are actually getting.

It's a win win situation for them. If Puel bombs they get to shout about how they predicted this would happen and if he's a success they get to complain that the club did nothing to keep him and should have matched his ambition.

If you want regular European Football support some other team but I will support the Saints like I have for the last fifty years or so through thick and thin

Happy to wager anyone on here that we WILL NOT finish top 6 this season.... Anyone fancy a £20/30/50 wager?

Not a single taker for this? :rolleyes:

A forum packed with confident we will be fine types but not a single one prepared to put his money where his mouth is? Says it all

Not a single taker for this? :rolleyes:

A forum packed with confident we will be fine types but not a single one prepared to put his money where his mouth is? Says it all

We've got no chance again Stoke and their level three mega wage bill.

Mods please help us.... BIG nasty poster being nasty boy and making regular posters upset [emoji38]

Cry me a river

You'll never upset me sweetheart but you've been banned plenty of times for, well, getting upset.

I'm just going to sit and watch.

I've not read the whole thread but get the feeling that emotions are getting a bit fraught. To write off the manager at this stage of the season is as ridiculous as saying he is brilliant, surely. Yes everyone is entitled to their views. My view is that I think he will be better than Koeman. But that's hope as much as knowledge (my footballing knowledge in all honesty could be written on the back of a postage stamp). Which makes me wonder if some people just want him to fail...? At the end of the day, he was highlighting in his post match interviews exactly the same concerns expressed on here was he not? Come on. We're all Saints fans so lets see how it rolls over the next month or two.

I'll take your £50 we will not finish top 6. I'll also go double or quits with you that we finish about other level 4 clubs, such as Swansea. Deal?

Says that not a single person on here truly thinks we will match or better last seasons table finish

Happy to extend the offer to top 7!?

11/2 top 6 finish. I wouldn't be arsed to make a bet anyway to pick up in 9 months especially when I could get less than 20% from some mug on the Internet.

f26024cdbb6175fec7c78c5d368fca88.jpg

Nothing wrong with giving some opinions on puel provided it's with the caveat that it's early days and liable to change. In my opinion initial signs are not promising. As others have said he seems rather dull and uninspired. The evidence from pre season and Watford is that we seem quite rigid and trying to fit some of our players into a diamond formation will not work. Plenty of time to improve but I think it's fair to say that most won't be feeling as confident about things as they did under koeman- I know I'm not.

Listening to The Times football podcast and Julien Lauren's was on. Gab Marcotti asked his about his " mate" Claude Puel , his reply was that he's a good fit and it's the perfect job for him . But interestingly he said we were looking at him for a while " in case something happened with Koemam ".

Listening to The Times football podcast and Julien Lauren's was on. Gab Marcotti asked his about his " mate" Claude Puel , his reply was that he's a good fit and it's the perfect job for him . But interestingly he said we were looking at him for a while " in case something happened with Koemam ".

Remember Lallanas mate on here who was ITK? Cant remember his name but he was Guan levels of reputation. Anyway when Lallana and Poch left didn't he post that Claude Puel was to be the new manager...so quite obviously been on our radar for a long time.

Says that not a single person on here truly thinks we will match or better last seasons table finish

Happy to extend the offer to top 7!?

Glasgow, you've restrained your boorish posts for so long under the new 'guise"; don't trash yourself again trying to lay a few bets with the odds so wildly in your favour - you're better than that! Ok, you're not better than that, but give it a rest anyway.

It would make sense as we are supposed to have targets lined up in advance but it's brings two questions to me? How would he know we were looking at him? And why, then, did we supposedly go for Rudi Garcia and other options first?

When you say go after them...do you mean interview and assess them and all other available options like a sensible business would do when making a managerial appointment?

is that aimed at my comment? I didn't say go after them so it might be someone else?

I agree the sensible way is to interview a few managers so how would Puels mate know we were looking at him for a while beforehand? If someone is on our list do we go and tap them all on the shoulder and say "we are looking at you even though we have a manager..keep it quiet though as we don't want him to know and you are the only one we are looking at....honest"?

I don't think Puel is any good. Simple.

I don't think he will survive beyond Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To save you having to type it out in full when either eventuality occurs, below are a couple of handy pre-crafted posts which can be cut and pasted to save a bit of time:

"There, told you so"

"Glad I was proven wrong in hindsight"

You're welcome :)

I don't think Puel is any good. Simple.

I don't think he will survive beyond Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From his history I struggle to believe he will be incompetent enough to get himself sacked in three months! He is trying a system which he obviously believes in but we haven't seen him set up a team for a game like Man Utd away yet...he hasn't lost a game yet so we don't even know how he would react to that with team or formation changes etc...

We did see him make changes to the team on Saturday when we were losing (which turned the game) and obviously make enough impression on the players at half time to change the performance of the team.

The team made the second most passes in the weekend with one of the highest accuracy. Possession was one of the highest at nearly 60% and we had more shots than any other team.

Personally I am looking forward to seeing us play the attractive football that his other teams have been known for.

Yep, you are simple....It been one game, one.....melt

In fairness to Saintrobbie, Puel has managed us for 7 games now!! And if he believes he will be gone before Christmas how long does he need to wait to say so? He may only have 14-15 games left.

Saintrobbie has proven before that he has good instincts and seems to be able to evaluate player potential a lot quicker than most on here.

Will be interesting to see what happens but if Robbie is right (again) will be egg on a few faces :toppa: