Claude Puel Announced as New Manager - OFFICIAL

Jimmy_D

Allianz Riviera has a capacity of 35k and Nice had a average home attendance of 19k last season.

If only they charged everyone €5 a ticket they'd have filled it every single week and sold loads of hot dogs and merchandise in the process.

#buildittheywillcome

If only they charged everyone €5 a ticket they'd have filled it every single week and sold loads of hot dogs and merchandise in the process.

#buildittheywillcome

out of interest, would you know what the prices are? Been 25 years or so since I've been to a Ligue 1 match.

Oh come off it, the cement works to the east aren't the best feature. You have the gas holders to the north, the railway line to the west and those natty warehouses to the south. All tough competition for which is best.

Claude takes a tour of SMS, apparently his favourite bits were the picturesque view of the aggregate works, and the impressive mountain of scrap metal on the waterside.

6af867ea3a9cca9e1ec98d8480eb9b53.png

"Errr, I am thinking, er, where iz zee statue zat looks like zee, how do you zay, Smurf?"

Blimey....on his tour of the SFC stadium and also the training complex he didnt crack a smile or look impressed one bit.

He looks a hard bar steward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This miserable persona won't go down well with the media either. Will need to be careful against early spiral downwards if results don't go our way. His assistants also didn't look like they wanted to be there at all. Maybe they'd been shown the new kit...

Gordon Bennett, this city needs some investment. Prime waterside land, city centre next to the football stadium and we use it for a friggin' cement factory.

I like the fact that not every square metre of the city centre has got 'prestigious', 'designer', 'exclusive' identikit flats on it.

Gordon Bennett, this city needs some investment. Prime waterside land, city centre next to the football stadium and we use it for a friggin' cement factory.

It's an industrial city! Famous for its docks and it used to be the home of the Ford Transit and Pirelli etc etc etc. So parts of the city look like people work there and have a function, because they do; it can't all be gentrified and boring looking 'apartments'. Most of the really nice historical buildings also had the sh*t bombed out of them, completely obliterated and replaced quickly by 50s concrete.

It isn't actually an ugly city anyway, have you been to other cities and towns in the UK?

As for people saying the new coaching team look unimpressed, they're probably just taking in their new surroundings and home. Of course they won't like the club yet, they've yet to experience a good match day, all the squad back and so on. A couple of 8-1 home wins and they'll love the place ;)

To be honest I think i've had enough of gurning media ****s, giving the cheeky smiles etc. If Puel happens to be a miserable bastard but is going to deliver us a decent European run and exciting football then crack on, hopefully he tells the media where to get off en route.

It is quite ugly

more parkland per square mile than any other city in England. some of England's best preserved medieval town walls, over 90 listed buildings in the old town, and the marina offers a modern skyline.

The new Watermark development will give us a landmark cinema, over 20 new restaurants to go with the 650-odd restaurants we already have. West Quay already attracts 17m consumers per year, and this will only increase with Watermark. and we have Ikea.

It's actually a pretty great place to live, and has the New Forest on it's doorstep...

So'ton is my city so I love it, the centre and high street are a bit ugly but the Parks lead into the Avenue, the Avenue leads into the Commom and the Common leads up to the finest sports centre I've ever seen so that green space runs for miles. We are dead lucky. What more does anyone want?

more parkland per square mile than any other city in England. some of England's best preserved medieval town walls, over 90 listed buildings in the old town, and the marina offers a modern skyline.

The new Watermark development will give us a landmark cinema, over 20 new restaurants to go with the 650-odd restaurants we already have. West Quay already attracts 17m consumers per year, and this will only increase with Watermark. and we have Ikea.

It's actually a pretty great place to live, and has the New Forest on it's doorstep...

It needs more though. The city has suffered from chronic underinvestment and a lack of imagination for decades. Just look at how Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Hull, Glasgow have turned themselves around recently. It has the potential, green spaces, transit routes and weather to be an amazing city but it's not unfortunately (bar it's football team of course!)

So'ton is my city so I love it, the centre and high street are a bit ugly but the Parks lead into the Avenue, the Avenue leads into the Commom and the Common leads up to the finest sports centre I've ever seen so that green space runs for miles. We are dead lucky. What more does anyone want?

A city centre/high street that isn't an absolute dump?

I don't proclaim to know much but from my limited experience, one of Southampton high streets biggest problem is its business rates on units. Some of them are extremely high and unrealistic even in places not considered by the public to be prime. Consequently there are a lot of retail units sat empty on high streets with landlords struggling to find businesses that will stay in them. This is also why you see an increase in charity shops and similar because they have relief deals on these rates and landlords are better off having someone in their properties than no one. Add to this the accounts of increasing robberies. Unfortunately none of this makes the city an appealing place for Indy, trendy or upcoming businesses in retail and leisure to move into. These are the businesses which can regenerate an area and bring people in. Demanding top rent/rates in a blanket across the whole town just because Next and their ilk are willing and able to pay silly rates in West Quay isn't the way forward.

High streets are dying everywhere. Brighton is one of the best cities around but Churchill Square and Western Road isnt better than Above Bar and West Quay.

Perhaps, but Brighton has the seafront acting as an alternate focus for the town, whereas with Southampton its basically Above Bar or nothing.

I actually think that in places the city centre parks act against Southampton - green space bordered by thriving shops and residential areas are undeniably nice, but when they're surrounded by train stations, main roads and a shopping area decimated by the gravity of West Quay, they actually feel a bit alienated and disconnected.

Watermark's gonna be great and all, but what's a landmark cinema when it's at home?

It needs more though. The city has suffered from chronic underinvestment and a lack of imagination for decades. Just look at how Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Hull, Glasgow have turned themselves around recently. It has the potential, green spaces, transit routes and weather to be an amazing city but it's not unfortunately (bar it's football team of course!)

I see what you are saying here

However most/all of the cities mentioned have received shed loads of investment, mainly from the EU, to pump prime upgrades of their city centres.

Liverpool, as an example, has received (and will continue to receive for the next year or so) Objective One EU finding which exceeds £1 billion

A small proportion of this would have aided Southampton significantly

City centre isn't great but its not terrible, to be fair it's more the are around the stadium suffers, the stadium is a destination and the city council could to a lot more round that area, especially as a lot of is riverside, you could have shops, restaurants, bars etc. there with better parking do upgrades in conjunction with the club.

But the players only have to be near the city for the home games, the new forrest is probably one of the nicest areas in the country to live in and if they want a more posher/cosmopolitan city they can go to Winchester.

But all big cities have scummy areas

Watermark's gonna be great and all, but what's a landmark cinema when it's at home?

I don't know, I was just ripping off the tinternet.

http://www.discoversouthampton.co.uk/future/city-centre-masterplan/heart-of-the-city

"Watermark WestQuay

Construction has begun on Southampton's £70 million new leisure and dining hub with a landmark 10 screen cinema over 20 restaurants and a new high quality public plaza for the city supported by the Government’s Regional Growth Fund.

There are plans for shops, cafés, restaurants, a luxury cinema, a hotel and housing to flank a public plaza overlooking the dramatic medieval town walls. Sounds almost continental, doesn’t it? Well, we’re inspired by the buzz of alfresco dining and the patter of happy shoppers. And, given that developer Hammerson recently revealed its exciting plans for the scheme, it’s certainly time for us to wake up and smell the coffee!"

Add to that list the best red light area on the south coast, and right on the doorstep of SMS!! What's not to like? :)

This miserable persona won't go down well with the media either. Will need to be careful against early spiral downwards if results don't go our way. His assistants also didn't look like they wanted to be there at all. Maybe they'd been shown the new kit...

He's just realised he's been sold a pup by Reed and has to stick it out for at least two years before he can flee back to the Côte d'Azur. What, not even a beach? Scare Bleu!

It's an industrial city! Famous for its docks and it used to be the home of the Ford Transit and Pirelli etc etc etc. So parts of the city look like people work there and have a function, because they do; it can't all be gentrified and boring looking 'apartments'. Most of the really nice historical buildings also had the sh*t bombed out of them, completely obliterated and replaced quickly by 50s concrete.

It isn't actually an ugly city anyway, have you been to other cities and towns in the UK?

As for people saying the new coaching team look unimpressed, they're probably just taking in their new surroundings and home. Of course they won't like the club yet, they've yet to experience a good match day, all the squad back and so on. A couple of 8-1 home wins and they'll love the place ;)

There are plenty of other sh*t holes in the UK, granted. I'd just prefer not to be in one of them.

I'd rather Moresby Tower was half the height it it personally and have some more flats elsewhere, although I'd agree it'd be nice to see something different to the generic, flat pack IKEA style apartments which seem to pop up everywhere. Other the other hand we could really do with some more half decent housing with prices the way they are.

I'm not saying the cement works shoul be gotten rid of, it would just seem more practical to have them somewhere out of town a bit. On cheaper land, more accessible to the motorway.

There are plenty of other sh*t holes in the UK, granted. I'd just prefer not to be in one of them.

I'd rather Moresby Tower was half the height it it personally and have some more flats elsewhere, although I'd agree it'd be nice to see something different to the generic, flat pack IKEA style apartments which seem to pop up everywhere. Other the other hand we could really do with some more half decent housing with prices the way they are.

I'm not saying the cement works shoul be gotten rid of, it would just seem more practical to have them somewhere out of town a bit. On cheaper land, more accessible to the motorway.

I'm sure the cement works are where they are eg by the river, as it is easy to get ships alongside to unload bulk raw materials and transport finished products. Difficult to get ships up the M27.......!

Some sort of glass studio being planned above Kingsland apparently (presumably where gantry is now). Not massively exciting I know, but quite a few other plans apparently being discussed for stadium improvements.

Phew! And I was starting to worry about how they were going to spend the Mane money. Good to hear its being spent wisely.

I'm sure the cement works are where they are eg by the river, as it is easy to get ships alongside to unload bulk raw materials and transport finished products. Difficult to get ships up the M27.......!

Yes they also own a **** load of dredgers. I reckon they would break down even more often if they had to get up and over towards Eastleigh.

Fair point, but there's plenty of coast / riverbank that isn't in the middle of a major city.

The whole area around St. Mary's is a dump. I'm always surprised when exiting the stadium by the amount of derelict buildings on the river-side of the road.

Surely these would be ideal redevelopment opportunities. Well, would have been up until last week when the brexit brigade drove us off a metaphorical cliff. Now you are more likely to see property developers throwing themselves off the roof of said opportunities, but hey, that's a different thread!

SHORTEST MANAGERIAL STINT?

Marcelo Bielsa has resigned as Lazio manager, just TWO days after taking the job.

"We note with amazement the resignation of Marcelo Bielsa in clear violation of the commitments and agreements signed last week and filed with the Italian Football Federation," the Serie A club said in a statement.

There have been rumours that the former Marseille boss has been approached to take over Argentina.

Great coach, but I had previously said he was crackers.

Not to repeat what others have said, but this is from a French friend who lives in Lyon:

L0yYxfd.jpg?2

Interesting stuff.

Now, I know nothing about the French league but would Lyon have had to have finished above a Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal or Spurs to get in the Champs league or would it be a whole lot easier for them?

Now, I know nothing about the French league but would Lyon have had to have finished above a Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal or Spurs to get in the Champs league or would it be a whole lot easier for them?

In France only the top two qualify directly for the CL. Lyon finished 3rd behind Bordeaux and Marseille, and ahead of Toulouse, Lille and PSG, which brought them to the CL play-off round. There they beat Anderlecht with an aggregate score of 8-2 (5-1 and 3-1). In the group phase with Liverpool, Fiorentina and Debrecen they finished 2nd behind Fiorentina. In the round of 16 they beat Real Madrid, and in the quarter finals they beat Bordeaux, before going out against Bayern Munich.

So, to answer your question: League 1 is probably not as strong, but on the road to the semi-finals they did beat the Preamier League #2 (1-2 at Anfield), the La Liga #2, and the League 1 champions.

In France only the top two qualify directly for the CL. Lyon finished 3rd behind Bordeaux and Marseille, and ahead of Toulouse, Lille and PSG, which brought them to the CL play-off round. There they beat Anderlecht with an aggregate score of 8-2 (5-1 and 3-1). In the group phase with Liverpool, Fiorentina and Debrecen they finished 2nd behind Fiorentina. In the round of 16 they beat Real Madrid, and in the quarter finals they beat Bordeaux, before going out against Bayern Munich.

So, to answer your question: League 1 is probably not as strong, but on the road to the semi-finals they did beat the Preamier League #2 (1-2 at Anfield), the La Liga #2, and the League 1 champions.

Pretty impressive imo

SHORTEST MANAGERIAL STINT?

Marcelo Bielsa has resigned as Lazio manager, just TWO days after taking the job.

"We note with amazement the resignation of Marcelo Bielsa in clear violation of the commitments and agreements signed last week and filed with the Italian Football Federation," the Serie A club said in a statement.

There have been rumours that the former Marseille boss has been approached to take over Argentina.

Great coach, but I had previously said he was crackers.

I wonder if there's a cement factory next door to the Lazio stadium? If so, maybe that's what drove him away.