Claude Puel Announced as New Manager - OFFICIAL

Jimmy_D

Written off already....:rolleyes:

Why is someone not given at least a chance to be sh it before being classed as such ?

I am not writing him off. I think a few people are baffled by his appointment. His efforts at other clubs are questionable. I would have kept Sammy on as we know what we are getting with him. If Puel knows Eric well and how he works and wants him to be his number two then that is his decision. He made that call. Let's wait and see what happens. The board have done well before and can do well again.

I remember when MP arrived ha had been sacked by Espanyol after a disastrous sequence and now look. I trust our board who did take their time when RK had left. No panic. It also sounds like we turned down Pellegrini so that probably means we knew what we were doing.

I've been working as a volunteer at EURO2016.

Asked a guy at work, who coaches a local team , and he said that Puel is a very good coach, but it is his way or the highway. Very strict on discipline.

Sounds promising to me.

I am not writing him off. I think a few people are baffled by his appointment. His efforts at other clubs are questionable. I would have kept Sammy on as we know what we are getting with him. If Puel knows Eric well and how he works and wants him to be his number two then that is his decision. He made that call. Let's wait and see what happens. The board have done well before and can do well again.

Exactly this. Two years ago when we were still newly promoted we appointed the Feyenoord boss, the former boss of PSV and Hungary, the England Goalkeeping coach and Sammy Lee. This time, established in the top 8 of the PL for three years we've got the Nice boss who barely speaks English, the under 19s coach of a league 2 side and the Rotherham coach. Thats not to say he cant be a success, but the odds are a lot longer than when Koeman was appointed.

Edited by buctootim

I think the club have been pretty clear they want a training ground coach someone who will improve players. The new guy is consider a good coach of players (I mean if Thierry Henry credits you with making him the player he was you must haven't something about you) from bits I've read on the net. The general impression from club statements and ITK snippets is our last manager wasn't doing the coaching side of things the way the club wanted (including allowing academy players to train with the first team) so they've gone for one they think will. You've got to remember the club put great store buy coaching and improving players it's a big selling point and the big part of this US academy scheme they hope to set up. This means that we missed out on some "Names" which to the fans would seem the more obvious candidates but don't fit the clubs vision. All my opinion of course but looking at that way Puel doesn't look nearly as baffling a choice.

Exactly this. Two years ago when we were still newly promoted we appointed the Feyenoord boss, the former boss of PSV and Hungary, the England Goalkeeping coach and Sammy Lee. This time, established in the top 8 of the PL for three years we've got the Nice boss who barely speaks English, the under 19s coach of a league 2 side and the Rotherham coach. Thats not to say he cant be a success, but the odds are a lot longer than when Koeman was appointed.

You just want an I told you so moment - hope your over the moon if you get it.

I think he will probably do alright, top half will be a good season.

does not scream champions league ambition though

For every "the Nice boss" he is also the title winning Monaco coach.

But some people are born downers I guess.

You just want an I told you so moment - hope your over the moon if you get it.

yep there are a few fans who can't let go of summer 2014 they ended up looking a little silly but they keep going because the very nature of football means they will be right one day and then you just know they going to tell everyone about it...

There is no way we would sign Gregoire Puel. Having physically seen Le Havre play, it was comfortably the worst standard of football I have ever seen.

(their stadium, however, is very nice and they play God Save The Queen before every game)

I've passed their stadium a few times. Looks nice. Haven't seen them play for about 25 years when they visited my local club and got turned over 3-0. They were bad then as well.

I don't particularly have a downer on him. I think the club appears to have put too much emphasis on getting someone who will stay with the club long time and develop the youth at the club.

While neither are bad qualities to have, we all know what happens to managers who 'don't hit the ground running in the premiership, and I'm not sure what contracts mean today.

The Youth at the club have to have special qualities to make it in the Premiership. We sell anyone who does make it through our Youth set up and it worries me that's what's in the mind of the owners ,to make money.

The Villa connection (Black) also concerns me, the Villa fans weren't impressed from what I have read.

I just hope we don't do a Villa. Apart from that I wish him well, but in my opinion we should have got someone better, we have the finances'.

Find me some good comments from fans of those clubs.

And you are right he isn't out of work for long. Normally following being sacked or who he has assisted has been sacked.

You like to give it the big one so like I said show me the praise for him. Until then shut up you keyboard warrior.

Comedy gold.

I think the club have been pretty clear they want a training ground coach someone who will improve players. The new guy is consider a good coach of players (I mean if Thierry Henry credits you with making him the player he was you must haven't something about you) from bits I've read on the net. The general impression from club statements and ITK snippets is our last manager wasn't doing the coaching side of things the way the club wanted (including allowing academy players to train with the first team) so they've gone for one they think will. You've got to remember the club put great store buy coaching and improving players it's a big selling point and the big part of this US academy scheme they hope to set up. This means that we missed out on some "Names" which to the fans would seem the more obvious candidates but don't fit the clubs vision. All my opinion of course but looking at that way Puel doesn't look nearly as baffling a choice.

We were talking about Eric Black mate not Puel. Pretty sure Black had nothing to do with Thierry Henrey?

Or you could say we had just appointed the failed Valencia coach and his brother whose managerial career you can describe as average at best.

Puel is a highly respected manager in France. Pascal Plancque was wanted by PSG before he came here. Eric Black was Steve Bruce's trusted right hand man for many years.

"Barely speaks English" Alll those right wingers on the Brexit threads influencing you Timmy boy?

"Barely speaks English" Alll those right wingers on the Brexit threads influencing you Timmy boy?

Being able to express yourself is vital though isnt it? Its not just conveying your ideas and expectations - its getting a sense of yourself across and getting people to believe in you. Simply having a translator cant do that. My French is about as good as Puel's English. I wouldnt try to manage a work team in France.

Conventional wisdom says that Southampton are a top of the Championship/ botom half of the Premier League type team, and if we carried on in a conventional way with "name" managers and players that is where we would probably be or maybe have some short lived success then drop down again. Sometimes you have to do something different to break the mould and create something better. So far the owners and board have succeeded beyond the wildest dreams of most supporters considering where we were a few years ago. I think they deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt over this appointment and player sales/ purchases this summer. The time to moan is when things actually go wrong.

Being able to express yourself is vital though isnt it? Its not just conveying your ideas and expectations - its getting a sense of yourself across and getting people to believe in you. Simply having a translator cant do that. My French is about as good as Puel's English. I wouldnt try to manage a work team in France.

Speaks better English than pochettino.

Speaks better English than pochettino.

Well I'm staying positive especially after my conversation with the chap behind the counter at le Chat Bleu here in Lille. Said he was an excellent manager, good at bringing on the younger players. Said he would be good for Southampton, all in good English too, no surprises there tho.

Conventional wisdom says that Southampton are a top of the Championship/ botom half of the Premier League type team, and if we carried on in a conventional way with "name" managers and players that is where we would probably be or maybe have some short lived success then drop down again. Sometimes you have to do something different to break the mould and create something better. So far the owners and board have succeeded beyond the wildest dreams of most supporters considering where we were a few years ago. I think they deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt over this appointment and player sales/ purchases this summer. The time to moan is when things actually go wrong.

Love this appointment, fits into our philosophy perfectly. A defensive mind coach that has his forwards defend from the front and play attacking, attractive football. That's what we like to do! His ability to work with young players and bring out the best in players. All with hard a work ethic and strict discipline.

Even if this appointment goes bad I applaud the board for the fortitude to stick to their " Southampton way" of doing things. More up and coming coach with progressive ideas please, more up and coming young players that have the potential to be great. This is the reality of our club. To be the stepping stone club, the one to give future stars a place to shine. We are good at it and is a sustainable model when done right. If we continue this success, we may no longer be a club that players want to leave, but for now let's embrace where we are and how well we are going it. MARCH ON SAINTS!

I remember when Les Reed first came here. So many posters said that he had such a terrible reputation from other jobs for disruption and destruction that he would tear this club apart in no time flat. More fool me for actually listening to all that hyperbole in the past.

Thankfully, over the last few years, Les and the rest of the club have steadied my nerves about the wisdom of their decisions. Sure, they will get it wrong sometimes, but thanks to them, I can enjoy my summers a lot better now.

Good luck to all the newcomers to the club this summer!

Why have our fans got such a low expectations? It seems to me so many feel we have only been in the top division for only for a few years in our history, how many years were we out of the top division 5or6? We were in the top league for over 25 years before that. It is not a recent phenomena that we wee in the top parts of the league. Proudly being part of a stepping stone club may be great but I dont see many trophy cabinets needed finishing 6th and below.

Lets be greedy and demand proper success not be the breeders and feeders to others to have the real success.

Why have our fans got such a low expectations? It seems to me so many feel we have only been in the top division for only for a few years in our history, how many years were we out of the top division 5or6? We were in the top league for over 25 years before that. It is not a recent phenomena that we wee in the top parts of the league. Proudly being part of a stepping stone club may be great but I dont see many trophy cabinets needed finishing 6th and below.

Lets be greedy and demand proper success not be the breeders and feeders to others to have the real success.

What does this actually involve doing?

As fans, all we need to do is demand what we want in termas of success. We don't need to present a fail-proof master plan. That's the beauty of being a fan.

Figuring out your own plan without any real idea of the club's day to day finances, resources, personanal issues etc is just an exercise in futility......So I don't do it.

As fans, all we need to do is demand what we want in termas of success. We don't need to present a fail-proof master plan. That's the beauty of being a fan.

Figuring out your own plan without any real idea of the club's day to day finances, resources, personanal issues etc is just an exercise in futility......So I don't do it.

If it worked for the Leave camp, why not Saints? Shoot for the moon and make wild promises then get someone else to make a plan...