Claude Puel Announced as New Manager - OFFICIAL

Jimmy_D

Welcome Claude. I hope you do better than I fear and that the club don't think you have magic dust to turn average academy players into brilliant Premier ones, or worse, 'profit' alone. Farewell Sammy, you provided a welcome degree of passion.

Nice to see the virgin media and under armour logos on show in the background, although aren't they a day early?

I thought the deals began July 1st.

Both already announced, no reason to advertise the outgoing sponsors.

A guy with a history of so so results who has never worked outside France supported by the under 19s coach from a French Lg2 side and the Rotherham coach. Sure Les, they were the best candidates, really (after everyone else said your plan wouldnt work). #kickingonforthechampionsleague

A guy with a history of so so results who has never worked outside France supported by the under 19s coach from a French Lg2 side and the Rotherham coach. Sure Les, they were the best candidates, really (after everyone else said your plan wouldnt work). #kickingonforthechampionsleague

That's the spirit.

Never really heard of him until his link to us so I go into this with an open mind.

Welcome Claude and good luck.

TBH that should be how about 95% of saints fan should be approaching this. Very few if us have got a clue about this bloke if we are honest.

Edited by doddisalegend

Welcome to SFC Claude...

Just want to clarify, are we giving him a chance to start the season before we say "he`s uselsess" or words to that effect?

Ive based my decision on his eligibility purely by the way he has that French 'Couldnt give a ****' and somehow still looks smart dress style, yet he also has eyes and a stare to match that could empty a ref or misbehaving players bowels if they ****ed him off. I think 6 -12 weeks is fair at this point. +1 week for every good thing I hear from this point forward from the club with him invovled, -1 for every time someone brings up his stats not being good. He gets an extra +3 weeks for every semi decent signing he gets to shake hands with, +6 weeks if the signing breaks records and is agreed to be a 'worldy'. Now I think that seems pretty fair?

Welcome Claude. I hope you do better than I fear and that the club don't think you have magic dust to turn average academy players into brilliant Premier ones, or worse, 'profit' alone. Farewell Sammy, you provided a welcome degree of passion.

That is my fear really - our current crop of u21's are not the level needed to play in Prem - we have some lower down but will be a couple of years yet .

Unless we recruit some young guns our squad depth will be weak if likes of Hesketh, Sims, Seagar who are light weight and a big jump to get to Prem level.

Not writing him off just the expectation seems a bit much with what he is inheriting.

Claude was asked to describe himself because people in England don't really know who he is.

Claude's reply?

"It's OK if you don't know me. Nobody knows who Batman is either. So what?"

:lol:

Everyone knows he's Brett from Camden :rolleyes:

Claude was asked to describe himself because people in England don't really know who he is.

Claude's reply?

"It's OK if you don't know me. Nobody knows who Batman is either. So what?"

:lol:

Claude, he`s a negative poster on here who hates Italian strikers....

TBH that should be how about 95% of saints fan should be approaching this. Very few if us have got a clue about this book if we ate honest.

Nah, it's much easier to b1tch and moan and whinge before a ball has been kicked. But we're not allowed to whinge about people whinging because they have a right to be miserable... blah blah blah...

Welcome Claude! Hope he does well, and I trust the club have made the right choice. Speaks English too which is great.

Love that people are writing off Eric Black coz he was at Villa while they were ****. Dave Watson has been on the coaching team for two failed International tournaments with England, is he **** too?

Get behind the new team, welcome to Saints!

Have to confess to feeling slightly underwhelmed, he has a big task not only finding his feet in an alien environment but a completely new country too. Pochettino and Koeman both had a ruthless streak which you need to survive in the Premier League and a lot will depend if he can gain the respect of the senior pros.

I wouldn't like a situation like we had with Paul Sturrock for instance. I am not sure he was Reed's first choice either but having said all this we the fans have got to get behind him and give him a chance. This is very much a make or break appointment.

This.

Just hope he's not Example A of how we cant keep pulling rabbits out of the hat.

You really are a prize t**t aren't you? Total muppet.

What were your views on Pochettino then? Why don't you give the new guys a chance before spouting off your usual crap?

The club has earned the right to be given the benefit of the doubt - the constant improvement has shown them making the right decisions even if fans vehemently disagree. While I don't know a huge amount about him and was underwhelmed when he was made the favorite for the job the feedback from people in France has been encouraging.

At least the younger players will be given the opportunity to impress and challenge for a place in the first team. Under Koeman that no longer appeared to be the case and must have affected the younger players confidence and mindset.

If they prove they're good enough hopefully they will get the chance now.

Welcome Claude and looking forward to bright, attacking football and another exciting season.

You really are a prize t**t aren't you? Total muppet.

What were your views on Pochettino then? Why don't you give the new guys a chance before spouting off your usual crap?

The club has earned the right to be given the benefit of the doubt - the constant improvement has shown them making the right decisions even if fans vehemently disagree. While I don't know a huge amount about him and was underwhelmed when he was made the favorite for the job the feedback from people in France has been encouraging.

At least the younger players will be given the opportunity to impress and challenge for a place in the first team. Under Koeman that no longer appeared to be the case and must have affected the younger players confidence and mindset.

If they prove they're good enough hopefully they will get the chance now.

Welcome Claude and looking forward to bright, attacking football and another exciting season.

Ease up, he is allowed to have an opinion. It is after all an opinion forum and most of what he said were facts followed by a guess as to why they went for that choice.

At least the younger players will be given the opportunity to impress and challenge for a place in the first team.

As above said, what he said are mainly facts, he does have so so results and has no experience outside France.

Also are our younger players good enough? The results the U21s and U18s have been pulling in over the last 18 months doesn't suggest so.

Outside of Reed, JWP and Targett I'm not sure any of our young players are good enough for that squad.

As above said, what he said are mainly facts, he does have so so results and has no experience outside France.

Also are our younger players good enough? The results the U21s and U18s have been pulling in over the last 18 months doesn't suggest so.

Outside of Reed, JWP and Targett I'm not sure any of our young players are good enough for that squad.

I'd really like to see Reed given more game time this year. I honestly don't see what Clasey has to offer that he can't provide.

Targett is not good enough to start yet as proven in several games last season, maybe he never will be?

Maybe 2016/2017 is JWP's season :p

Would have thought this appointment would have made more people happy. I seem to remember lots of posters calling for Koeman to play more youngsters during our bad patch mid season. There was lots of complaining about Koeman's inability to develop youngsters like Poch. So now the club have brought in someone to ,it appears, do just that and people aren't happy...

I'd really like to see Reed given more game time this year. I honestly don't see what Clasey has to offer that he can't provide.

Targett is not good enough to start yet as proven in several games last season, maybe he never will be?

Targett was consistently one of our best players when we switched to the 3-5-2, he was comfortably good enough then. Reed just needs some experience to help with his decision-making and to stop chucking himself into late tackles. The question is how long we're prepared to accommodate players learning when we're still trying to finish as high up the league as possible. The Europa League MIGHT give some of the kids a chance this season, we'll see how the club approaches it.

Welcome Claude. The appointment hasn't got the excitement going for me like Koeman (other than making me £300 richer), however very interested to see how this pans out.

I also don't think we're going to cut our nose off to spite our face, and start chucking academy players into the first team for the sake of it. They've obviously got to be good enough and it seems that (following links to a few good youngsters) the club has acknowledged that and are looking to try and boost the younger ranks to improve the quality.

I'm seem to remember reading somewhere that, towards the end of his tenure, Koeman wouldn't even let academy players train with the first team and clearly wasn't that interested in developing them. Hopefully the new management will give them the opportunity to develop and improve - might even see a few gets some game time in cups like under Poch.

Would have thought this appointment would have made more people happy. I seem to remember lots of posters calling for Koeman to play more youngsters during our bad patch mid season. There was lots of complaining about Koeman's inability to develop youngsters like Poch. So now the club have brought in someone to ,it appears, do just that and people aren't happy...

Its a lot easier to blood youngsters into the first XI when you are are in L1 or the Championship (as we showed) - but trying to blood them into a team that is (apparently) trying to get top 4 is nigh on impossible, especially with the youngsters we have at the club.

Targett was excellent once he got up to speed and was played in his best position.