Claude Puel Announced as New Manager - OFFICIAL

Jimmy_D

Generally I feel that fans have welcomed Claude Puel's appointment and much of what we've heard since he was announced is very positive. On the other hand, the comments in his interview suggested he might have pulled back on the club's ambition - the very thing that Koeman cited as his concern for the future. Puel talks about the difficulty of playing games every 3 days in the Premier League and the Europa League whilst reaching the Champions League is a possibility during the 3 years of his contract if everyone works very, very, well. He says the target this year is to learn to play every three days. That seems to be a lower objective than further improvement on last year's 6th place. You could take the interview as being realistic, given the club's resources. Although he maintains the ultimate objective of the Champions League, he seems to think we shouldn't expect it this year.

At least he tries to speaks English. If I gave an interview in French it would be pretty boring.

Same. Every answer would be "meet in front of the train station" - but in French - as that is the only thing I remember from GCSE French

Generally I feel that fans have welcomed Claude Puel's appointment and much of what we've heard since he was announced is very positive. On the other hand, the comments in his interview suggested he might have pulled back on the club's ambition - the very thing that Koeman cited as his concern for the future. Puel talks about the difficulty of playing games every 3 days in the Premier League and the Europa League whilst reaching the Champions League is a possibility during the 3 years of his contract if everyone works very, very, well. He says the target this year is to learn to play every three days. That seems to be a lower objective than further improvement on last year's 6th place. You could take the interview as being realistic, given the club's resources. Although he maintains the ultimate objective of the Champions League, he seems to think we shouldn't expect it this year.

A good post Professor, but I think Puel's comment about a game every 3 days is a prospect that few of us have seriously considered.

Prem. once a week - YES, and Europa League (?)...well six games for sure.... and then?..

.....Everyone enjoys a good Cup run and we also have two Cup competitions that might provide an interesting addition to our rather sparse trophy cabinet, but even the prospect of finishing 5th in the Prem. wouldn't see us better off than we are now.

IMHO....Even if this season only sees us " marking time"... I think it would be a great achievement, given that a quick look at last season's end table shows a number of " the big clubs " below us, and most people would expect them to have some sort of a "revival " in form and finish higher ....even if they don't qualify for / win anything.

Given the turnover of players since last summer, it'll take a superhuman effort to get to CL level in one season....but then again Leicester fans didn't expect that either, but the reality of CL football (maybe in a group with PSG, Barcelona or Bayern Munich)....might see them finish bottom of their group....and sour the memory of their title win.

We've improved on every season since 2009...(and we all remember starting with -10 points in L1) but I think (even without any Prem. experience) ....Puel knows what European football is all about ..but I agree that the prospect of CL football in 2017 might just be " a bridge too far ". IF Puel says CL ...in 3 years... I'm happy with that.

We have to build a squad (not just a team)....that can field a side twice a week throughout the season, and look to integrate our own young players into first team football, as it's most unlikley that we'll see Saints spending £30 million+ on any player (in the near future).

Love Alan Brazil. Talking to Uwe Rossler this morning he said that the Premiership [sic] is going to be great. Pep vs Jose. Ronald vs Jurgen. London - Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Wet Ham. And let's not forget Leicester.

So presume that is the top 9 sorted.

Love Alan Brazil. Talking to Uwe Rossler this morning he said that the Premiership [sic] is going to be great. Pep vs Jose. Ronald vs Jurgen. London - Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Wet Ham. And let's not forget Leicester.

So presume that is the top 9 sorted.

Don't forget that football doesn't really exist outside of Liverpool, Manchester and London according to the media!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2016/07/04/just-incredible-southamptons-training-base-impresses-claude-puel/293434/

He had offers from Bordeaux, Anderlecht and Galatasaray, but chose to head to England to take over at Southampton, succeeding Ronald Koeman.

Guess that it's a good sign to be in demand.

I'm still in a hotel, but I hope to find something quickly. We resumed training on Friday – I have not even had time to discover the centre of the town, but it seems it's nice", Puel said.

Probably for the best that he stays in his hotel and the training pitch as wouldn't want to scare him off. Nice vs Southampton. Hmmm. Difficult one!

I'm not sure that I agree. Puel is know to be a pragmatist, and for me that is better than raw, possibly naive, optimism. Before we achieved 6th place our first aim has always been to avoid relegation, let's not forget. Then it was a top ten place, and so on. Realistic planning for me, and anything is possible. We are going to have some tough early away games. So starting with minimum 6th place/semi final demands will only lead to disappointment -to begin with. Of course we all want success, but first things first. And Puel has the experience to know how to plan for three matches in a week, which we will need.

Edited by eelpie

I think Puel is a very intriguing appointment. No doubt whatsoever that his credentials fit in with what we want to try and do as a club, and he sounds like he is going to embrace that. As long as we get a good balance between helping to develop the younger players and also continuing to invest wisely in other talent, then hopefully we will continue to progress. I have no reason to think the club is suddenly going to do a "Rupert Lowe circa 2008" and just lob in academy player after academy player into the first team...well I hope not anyway!

As for Puel himself...when I was at college back in the early 00's, I took part in a French exchange in the south of France. My guest family lived quite near to Monaco, and when I left they bought me a home shirt as a present as they knew how much I loved to watch the Saints. Also managed to get some tickets to watch Monaco play a friendly against either Tunisia or Algeria (genuinely can't remember which team though!). And Monaco's manager that night? Claude Puel. Never would I have imagined he'd end up being Saints' boss 15 years later....

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2016/07/04/just-incredible-southamptons-training-base-impresses-claude-puel/293434/

He had offers from Bordeaux, Anderlecht and Galatasaray, but chose to head to England to take over at Southampton, succeeding Ronald Koeman.

I'm still in a hotel, but I hope to find something quickly. We resumed training on Friday – I have not even had time to discover the centre of the town, but it seems it's nice", Puel said.

Probably for the best that he stays in his hotel and the training pitch as wouldn't want to scare him off. Nice vs Southampton. Hmmm. Difficult one!

Nice:Saleya_nice.jpg

Southampton: 2991789.jpg

Nice:2014-11-Nice_135_small.jpg

Southampton: Ocean-Village-Marina-2.jpg

seem quite similar to me.

well....he can park his yacht in Ocean Village and walk to work, I suppose.....

Even the deafening fanfares that accompanied Jörgen Klott (sorry Klopp) on his arrival at L'pool have died away, as he failed to win two cups and L'pool finished (by their lofty standards)....a miserable 8th position and with no prospect of any European football next season. Jörgen's answer...".buy another Saints player ".....:D

A tad unfair as this will be his first pre-season with a team that he has had a say in recruiting. Don't be surprised if they are title contenders. It also highlights the reality of a new manager coming in and trying to work with a group of players used to a completely different style under a completely different manager. It takes time and Puel is only here for two years as things stand.

....Am I the ony one who feels that Koeman's new job at Everton might not be " the Walk in the Park " that he thinks it is?......He may be in for a rude awakening.

Probably wishful thinking as in reality Pochettino succeeded the following year at Spurs so why not the Koeman clan at Everton?

So at the end of the day (or should I say) ..the start of the season...Saints' famed "Softly, Softly " approach in signing Puel may yet surprise a few people.

...but not necessarily in the way you would like. It's quite possible this might be a Poortvliet year as well. OK we have had two consecutive managers who have come to the PL for the first time and succeeded beyond anybody'd expectations but three in a row? That would suggest the PL is the exact opposite of what every media hack has claimed is the "best league in the world". If three novices in a row succeed then clearly the PL is massively overrated. For this reason alone we are quite unlikely to be lucky three times in a row.

One thing we can be sure of is that whilst many of our fans are quietly smiling at the prospect of the first few home fixtures......Claude will very soon find out what the Prem. is all about in the early season away games. If he's really the man for the job....it'll be a good chance to prove himself.

The opening half dozen fixtures are a nightmare combination of "easy (must) wins" at home and impossibly tough games away, not to mention a sprinkling of energy sapping EL matches in amongst them. It'll be tough enough if we do not lose any more talent in the next few weeks but if we end up fielding a string of new players or erstwhile reserves Puel could be on a very steep learning curve indeed.

The link from the Inside Futbol above is an extract of a longer and very positive interview with Claude Puel in today’s “l’Equips”. Basically, our guy comes across as seriously wedded to the Southampton Way. Loosely translated, in the bits not already reported in the Inside Futbol article, CP finds that Saints is an ideal place for him, there’s everything in place for him to succeed… The club is set up on a human scale, it’s got resources, like all English clubs, but there’s a pleasant, family atmosphere. He also mentions a five-year step-by-step plan to be up there with the big clubs. Sixth last year was good but we must remember that Liverpool, Man U and Chelsea had poor seasons… The canteen’s magnificent, everyone is there for breakfast and lunches after training. Everything you wish for is top level, video analysis, the medical aspects and the sporting side. CP says that he is taking English classes but has Eric Black as Francophone help, and that Pacal Planque has also joined him - he “manages” (think he means in relation to getting by in English): rest of the staff were already in place [so no Sammy replacement?]. He mentions Watford and Man U as the first two matches, then the interview closes with him saying he’s not an excitable person, and first and foremost needs to be comfortable ("bien dans ses baskets") - we're a super challenge and it’s all fallen into place quite naturally.

Couldn't see the article on-line, the web is obviously talking about last night's match - but also there's a premium paywall.

Have it on very good authority that Puel is putting in double training sessions. "Not beasting them, but very precise." were the exact words. From someone very close to the first team.

Yes there are double sessions and yes they are tough as well as precise. Very different to Koeman, similar to Poch but more technical less power than his.

Blimey....on his tour of the SFC stadium and also the training complex he didnt crack a smile or look impressed one bit.

He looks a hard bar steward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He looks pretty underwelmed with St Mary's.

which are?????

Some sort of glass studio being planned above Kingsland apparently (presumably where gantry is now). Not massively exciting I know, but quite a few other plans apparently being discussed for stadium improvements.