This is Sparta! Build Up

Lighthouse

The same railway line that was just as sh*t last season when we virtually sold out both our home games in the same competition. Our fans are spoilt brats and in the main don't deserve the relative success we've had in the last few years.

Actually I shall probably drive, but I always like to have the odd drink before a game. Also the 5 minutes later KO could possibly make a difference: as it is I jog back to the station to be certain of getting the train I want. I could leave early, of course, but I wouldn't want to face your opprobium. As others have pointed out, it's a school night this year although I wonder if a few promises are being made: "we'll go to the knockout games!"

Anyway, don't worry yourself Griffo that not everybody is the same as you.

Its just a reminder for those that campaigned for a ground expansion, with European football etc, there's simply not the demand there unfortunately.

Milan will probably only get about 35K maximum for their game against us. The ground holds 80,000. Don't think what you point out is the evidence you need.

Edit: maybe a few more if we all get tickets in the neutral areas..

Edited by suewhistle
afterthought

Milan will probably only get about 35K maximum for their game against us. The ground holds 80,000. Don't think what you point out is the evidence you need.

Edit: maybe a few more if we all get tickets in the neutral areas..

I guess you spend more time on the Inter Milan forums than me, so they must have often referenced playing the likes of Southampton in Europe as a way of growing the club, brand, support etc that will require ground expansion.

Actually I shall probably drive, but I always like to have the odd drink before a game. Also the 5 minutes later KO could possibly make a difference: as it is I jog back to the station to be certain of getting the train I want. I could leave early, of course, but I wouldn't want to face your opprobium. As others have pointed out, it's a school night this year although I wonder if a few promises are being made: "we'll go to the knockout games!"

Anyway, don't worry yourself Griffo that not everybody is the same as you.

:lol::lol:

That's the same as your and others' comments about Midgetland last year. We did well then didn't we. Try asking the Celtic fans how they felt during the away leg against HBS, too. And looking at our home form and recent history against Watford and Sunderland we'll beat them easily too, won't we?

We played poorly against Midtjylland, twice, including some really bizarre tactical choices (not to mention Wanyama's absence) and we still should have at least gone to extra time against them. Sparta will come for a point, and it'll probably be a low scoring game one goal either way. Just like Midtjylland - who incidentally both managed to get through the group stage to the last 32 (which we haven't yet) and get utterly humped eventually by Man U, who were all of 3 points better than us last season.

Some teams are better than their ranking, Be'er Sheva aren't - Celtic are gash compared to Saints and still scored 5 at home against them.

We played poorly against Midtjylland, twice, including some really bizarre tactical choices (not to mention Wanyama's absence) and we still should have at least gone to extra time against them. Sparta will come for a point, and it'll probably be a low scoring game one goal either way. Just like Midtjylland - who incidentally both managed to get through the group stage to the last 32 (which we haven't yet) and get utterly humped eventually by Man U, who were all of 3 points better than us last season.

Some teams are better than their ranking, Be'er Sheva aren't - Celtic are gash compared to Saints and still scored 5 at home against them.

Eventually... Over two legs maybe we would have fared better. Just in case anyone forgot the amusing variations on the fallout...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/man-united-lose-fc-midtjylland-7397435

I think they're happy enough with 80000 as that's two and a half times our capacity...

Aren't they actually looking to downsize from 80,000? I think 35k is probably nearer their regular league gates these days, the new stadium (if still on course?) would hold 48,000. I guess they're not so concerned with the glory-hunters.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ac-milan-release-further-plans-5599516

We'd only get just over 2,000 tickets in that stadium.

Aren't they actually looking to downsize from 80,000? I think 35k is probably nearer their regular league gates these days, the new stadium (if still on course?) would hold 48,000. I guess they're not so concerned with the glory-hunters.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ac-milan-release-further-plans-5599516

We'd only get just over 2,000 tickets in that stadium.

Ha!

That looks like it was mocked up by those same people that did the mockup of St Mary's.

Probably a bit more chance of that happening though, even if it doesn't look like that!

978855d1447258883-cracking-top-4-st-marys-4.jpg

Bought tickets for tomorrow night worryingly easily. Surely we have to sell these games out, no? Might not get to Europe again...

Well it's their loss, I bookedd mine on Day 1 and am getting quite excited about it. A real test against opponents that we know nothing about. All more playing time for the team to get used to Puel's system. Wouldn't miss it for the world, this is what we all wanted so let's get behind the lads - we are stronger together! Even without the beer it'll still be fun.

The same railway line that was just as sh*t last season ..

Last post for this tea break, but you may have read it in the news that Southern have changed their schedules considerably this year due to their incompetence, appalling HR and lack of staff. Last season for one evening game the train was cancelled and I got away from Soton so late that I'd have already been home if I'd taken the car. It's got worse since.

Bought tickets for tomorrow night worryingly easily. Surely we have to sell these games out, no? Might not get to Europe again...

If we don't sell out it will be a very poor effort and a lot of saints fans should look long and hard at themselves. This is the biggest stage saints have played on in many a long year. Group stages of a european competition. When was the last time that happened :D

It was also still school holidays when we played Europa last season. You won't get the same turnout in mid September on a school night.

Exactly! I am gutted to not be at St Mary's tomorrow. I went to both home Europa matches last as was over visiting family with my daughter during her school holiday. In fact not only is it me missing this one (and subsequent) but also my daughter, (9 y.o.) nephew and my elderly father who I took and paid for last season.

If we don't sell out it will be a very poor effort and a lot of saints fans should look long and hard at themselves. This is the biggest stage saints have played on in many a long year. Group stages of a european competition. When was the last time that happened :D

Well I am afraid I will have to take a long hard look then as I just cannot do the 320 mile round trip on Thursday.

I will however be there on Sunday like all other league games and all being well attend the other 2 European games if that is alright with you.

I'm sure if it were United or Liverpool we were playing tomorrow this game would have been sold out ages ago.

Probably true, but there aren't many Sparta Prague supporters in and around Southampton getting tickets in the home end and trying to make out they are Saints for the night that would make up the numbers.

Is anyone kind enough to summarise the main point from Claude Puels press conference this afternoon, I couldn't face listening to him....:(

Eddie Jones was at training, Puel's dad played rugby, Puel is mates with Pierre Berbizier, Puel likes rugby, he comes from Castres which is big rugby town in France, he is mates with another French rugby player whose name escapes me, he wants to go to an international rugby match, he may return the compliment and visit a rugby training session, he is open to learning from other sports and it is very interesting. He made some jokes about rugby as well, seemed very relaxed talking about rugby.

No new injury concerns.

Eddie Jones was at training, Puel's dad played rugby, Puel is mates with Pierre Berbizier, Puel likes rugby, he comes from Castres which is big rugby town in France, he is mates with another French rugby player whose name escapes me, he wants to go to an international rugby match, he may return the compliment and visit a rugby training session, he is open to learning from other sports and it is very interesting. He made some jokes about rugby as well, seemed very relaxed talking about rugby.

No new injury concerns.

Many thanks Vectis, lets hope Sir Clive Woodward doesn't start sniffing around :scared:

Flying over for tonights game.....would be nice if the ground was nearly full.

Most importantly, hope the ones that are going make it a cracking atmosphere. European football guys!!!

This is probably the most important game in the group for us. Our direct challengers for 2nd place so need the 3 points. European night under the lights at St Mary's, looking forward to this and our other European games more than I will be for any league game this season.

I'm not sure why so many are surprised that we are not going to sell out !

This competition has a history of low crowds (even at hotspots like Newcastle ), it is on a Thursday night during term time, it is live on TV and the opposition isn't exactly Real Madrid !

:http://www.nufcblog.org/2013/03/we-are-the-loyalest-football-supporters-not-in-the-europa-league-apparently/#.V9pRXWUld7M

This competition has a history of low crowds (even at hotspots like Newcastle ), it is on a Thursday night during term time, it is live on TV and the opposition isn't exactly Real Madrid !

:http://www.nufcblog.org/2013/03/we-are-the-loyalest-football-supporters-not-in-the-europa-league-apparently/#.V9pRXWUld7M

I would be very surprised if we don't sell out. Maybe disappointed rather than surprised would be a better word. If we can have near sell outs for Watford and Sunderland, why not Sparta? Or is is people buy a ST so that they can watch Man U and Chelsea play (and a few other bigger teams) so as they have a ST they might as well use it. Pricing for EL was IMO a bargain, or as much of a bargain as you are going to get in football.

To me the Europa is this season and I have been looking forward to it since May.

The opposition shouldn't matter.

It would be pretty disgraceful not to get 30k+ there tonight. Have been looking forward to this since the last day of last season. See you on the train from / to Waterloo tonight.

Oh, and lets get a few chants of Southampton in Europa-pa-pa-pa going tonight. Hopefully the club give it a blast over the PA.