Rodriguez Joins WBA - Official

beowulf

Mane's shooting accuracy?

He scored goals but you wouldn't say he was a good finisher.

Saying stuff like this and it makes you seem a total imbecile.... No doubt you were one of the ones moaning that he was a total waste of space on a certain thread on here. That guy was lethal and he isn't liverpool's record signing for no reason... Do you not remember some of his goals? Let alone the curling chip from the byline vs arsenal.

Saying stuff like this and it makes you seem a total imbecile.... No doubt you were one of the ones moaning that he was a total waste of space on a certain thread on here. That guy was lethal and he isn't liverpool's record signing for no reason... Do you not remember some of his goals? Let alone the curling chip from the byline vs arsenal.

He was a good player for us and scored some great goals. However, I can remember the Watford game at home last season and considering his finishing that night 'lethal' is isn't an adjective I'd use to describe him. I'd probably describe him as a sometimes inconsistent good finisher. Some days he banged in a hat-trick, others he missed from 3 yards.

Charlie Austin now doing his Pellé impression and looks good at it, but JayRod really has my sympathy as he is gradually getting close to that awful phrase "injury-prone".

He is still not match fit and it may take time to get him for to be good enough to play a full 90 minutes....How long will he be out this time I wonder?

Having two big strikers available is OK ..providing they are both fit. Charlie looks at though he still isn't 100% yet, but thankfully he does score goals.

We can't just hope everything will just sort itself out, so I guess we should be looking for an extra striker, so in that respect .....January can't come quickly enough.

The issue is when you haven't played properly for over 2 years, your body kinda adjusts to not being put under all the strain of regular competitive football, so the re-introduction of full competitive action will very often come with the risk of frequent niggles and knocks. That will probably be the case for the rest of his career to be honest.

• 2 months later...
He's not going to do it without regular games, and if we aren't prepared to do then we should send him out on loan

The bloke is still playing weekly with the number of games we have tho...

whereas without our europa campaign he most likely won't have...

He's getting more than enough game time.

Might be time to face the fact that either A. He's never going to reach his potential again or B. He was a one season wonder who just had the perfect team around him. Lest we forget that the season before the one where he broke into the England team, people on here were slating him because of his poor performances and calling him a waste of money.

I almost feel sorry for the lad. Get him out on loan, playing twice a week in the Championship, back in the habit of scoring goals. I have no doubt it is a confidence issue and not technical. He's getting himself in to good positions and not pulling the trigger. A few goals under his belt might just bring that ability back. I wouldn't give up on him. He always was a confidence player.

I almost feel sorry for the lad. Get him out on loan, playing twice a week in the Championship, back in the habit of scoring goals. I have no doubt it is a confidence issue and not technical. He's getting himself in to good positions and not pulling the trigger. A few goals under his belt might just bring that ability back. I wouldn't give up on him. He always was a confidence player.

We know he can be a good player and agree, a loan out to get his confidence back would be ideal.

I'd let him go at least out on loan. Hasnt looked anywhere near good enough ever since his injury in the multiple comebacks. Not saying I think he's a bad player, as he was good the season of his injury and before that, but needs some games at a lower level to build up confidence to score goals (and prove he can be relied upon).

Rodriguez is currently playing some part in our team at the moment - a few cameos here and there and most of the Europa games. Assuming (and in football, I'm not sure it is that wild an assumption) that any potential suitors aren't coming to watch the games, that still appears like he's a decent player. Ok, he can't get in the team ahead of Austin, but for someone coming back from injury to be fighting for a starting berth at a good team like Southampton is a good sign. He therefore has some sale value. Perhaps Hull, or a Championship side would be interested in buying him.

Loan him out to a Championship side and see him struggle to have any sort of impact, who's going to buy him then? And certainly not for any sort of decent price. I wonder if the club are thinking along these lines.

If it's a confidence and fitness issue I'm surprised more games with the under 23s aren't happening.

With Long back now it will be hard for him to break into the team which is a shame as he is much better then Redmond as a striker but Puels love for Redmond will stop him playing regularly.

Carling Cup and Europa league games have given him game time but his best chance to get a run was ruined by a injury vs Sunderland in the last round, It will be great to be able to bring him and Long on with 15-20 to go for prem games and start them both for Arsenal and Sheva and then see which one will become super sub, if he loses that battle and is the odd one out, then a loan deal to Hull would be ideal.

• 2 months later...
While reports of a £15 million approach for Southampton's Jay Rodriguez are eminently incorrect, there's an element of truth contained within.

West Bromwich Albion head coach Tony Pulis remains a massive fan of the 27-year-old striker he came so close to signing on loan earlier this season.

With only a day of the transfer window left, Pulis appears to have accepted defeat in his pursuit of Rodriguez - for now at least.

There's every chance the Baggies boss will rekindle his interest in the Burnley-born forward in the summer rather than make a deadline day move.

And here's why:

Action man:

Rodriguez was open to a move away from St Mary's earlier in the season because he was not getting games.

But an injury to first-choice striker Charlie Austin has presented Rodriguez with an opportunity he has taken with both hands.

His standing with Saints boss Claude Puel has changed so dramatically, that Rodriguez now appears to be the manager's top pick up top.

While he's in the team, Rodriguez is not likely to be quite so enamoured with moving, but he might not boast that luxury for long.

It's not often players outside the top six get the chance to contest a major final at Wembley.

That's the prospect that lies in wait for Rodriguez and Southampton after disposing of Liverpool in their EFL Cup semi-final last week.

Rodriguez, who has scored five goals in 23 appearances this term, clearly has unfinished business and prising him away with the carrot of a Wembley final on the horizon might be tricky.

Win the final and Southampton will be Europa League bound.

Ordinarily, that would be seen a draw to stay, but Rodriguez has already been there and bought the t-shirt.

Feelings' mutual:

It would appear Rodriguez is as keen on West Brom as West Brom are on Rodriguez.

Seven clubs went in for him last summer, but the Hawthorns was his preferred destination.

Given there's such a deep-seated admiration on both parties, there's a sense this is a transfer that can wait.

Rodriguez can rest assured the Baggies will likely return at the end of the season while the club can feel quietly confident they will finally get their man.

No reinforcements:

The Saints are close to tying up a deal for Napoli striker Manolo Gabbiadini, a player that interested Albion.

But there's no guarantee the deal will go through before the window shuts.

Even if the transfer gets over the line, Gabbiadini will surely need time to acclimatise before he's handed a debut.

If it doesn't, Rodriguez - fitness and form permitting - will remain first-choice forward until Austin returns.

Austin, a former Albion target himself, is not expected to recover from his dislocated shoulder until April.

A better price:

You can usually stick another £3 million on a player's true worth if they move in January.

Another reason why Albion will bide their time.

Until they sign another striker is highly unlikely in any event that Puel would let Rodriguez go.

Source: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-brom-transfers-summer-swoop-12528206

Some interesting detail in there.