The January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

SuperSAINT

Les is, IMO, warming us up to no significant signings in January so don't expect much movement personally. If we aren't getting a striker in then we need to recall Gallagher. We surely can't go through the rest of the season relying on just Long and JRod.

For goodness sake we surely are not going to have to watch the rest of the season with the same lack of goals as in the first half

As has been stated not only do we rarely shoot from outside of the box we constantly fail to take chances we make.

It's got to the stage I don't expect us to score during the matches no matter how promising the attack

Death by Puel

Odd to suddenly come out with that. Brace for a bid?

I'm putting 2 and 2 together here (and I may get 5...), but perhaps Tadić is one of the senior players who asked their agent to put feelers out, as VFTT intimated in the rumour he passed on.

I'm putting 2 and 2 together here (and I may get 5...), but perhaps Tadić is one of the senior players who asked their agent to put feelers out, as VFTT intimated in the rumour he passed on.

Maybe that's why we've stepped up interest in that Gabbiadini chap?

Didn't he get the hump with Koeman last year? Maybe it's a hangover from then. Either that or he has indeed had enough of the current 'Southampton Way' or his opinion of his own ability is misguided and he see's himself elsewhere.

On all levels no.

One thing that makes me proud to be a Saints fan is the fact that we are never going to sign Jermaine Defoe.

I wasn't particularly wanting us to sign him (the only way to prise him from Sunderland would be to offer silly money), but rather an acknowledgement from the manager that they are actively looking for a striker. I know the club likes to do things quietly, but they didn't address this in the summer, and Puel has said he's happy with the squad. Anyway, hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised before the window slams shut.

If not, the cat's being thrown across the room. If I had one.

He seems to have a tough time most of the time though, despite obvious talent. When he came to Ajax I was expecting a lot, but was disappointed most games.

My sentiments also, was disappointing to say the least at Ajax

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

So just simulated our latest 'predicament' on FM. Jose moved to Liverpool with Saints signing Sakho in return and Gabi chap from Napoli.

Saints finished 15th.

Knocked out of round 1 from EL on away goals to Borussia Monchengladbach.

Knocked out of League Cup by United in QF.

Knocked out of FA Cup by Newcastle in Round 5.

Puel kept his job.

Top scorer Gabidianni with 28 for the season.

Top average rating: Sakho with 7.16

I've always quite liked Snodgrass. He could probably play in one of our "shuttle" roles.

I don't think we'll be in for him though.

To me he's the epitome of the type of player a struggling club buys in the January window when there's some panicking going on. He's 29 and his previous clubs have been Livingston, Sterling Albion on loan, Leeds in their League 1 / Champ days, a relegated Norwich team and likely relegated Hull team. Hardly an inspiring CV but maybe that's just me.

To me he's the epitome of the type of player a struggling club buys in the January window when there's some panicking going on. He's 29 and his previous clubs have been Livingston, Sterling Albion on loan, Leeds in their League 1 / Champ days, a relegated Norwich team and likely relegated Hull team. Hardly an inspiring CV but maybe that's just me.

I'm not saying he's great - simply that he is better than that CV suggests. Whenever I watch him play he is one of the best players in his team.

I quite like him but he doesn't fit our business model, buy young and cheap and sell later for a big profit.

Having said that we did buy Charlie Austin this time last season.

This is similar to how I saw Long before he came to us, the difference with Snodgrass being that he has quality but less workrate (from what I've seen, don't tend to watch his teams for 90 minutes often!)

All he'd add to the team is 1) a healthy wage packet and 2) what Ward-Prowse offers but with a better scoring record. Is that worth it? I dunno.

Edited by DuncanRG

I've always quite liked Snodgrass. He could probably play in one of our "shuttle" roles.

I don't think we'll be in for him though.

I like him too. Ever since he was at Leeds in league one.

I always thought of him as their (not quite as good) version of Lallana.

So just simulated our latest 'predicament' on FM. Jose moved to Liverpool with Saints signing Sakho in return and Gabi chap from Napoli.

Saints finished 15th.

Knocked out of round 1 from EL on away goals to Borussia Monchengladbach.

Knocked out of League Cup by United in QF.

Knocked out of FA Cup by Newcastle in Round 5.

Puel kept his job.

Top scorer Gabidianni with 28 for the season.

Top average rating: Sakho with 7.16

Gabidanni scores 28 in half a season and we finish 15th?

Representatives from Saints have been in contact with Berihino's people regarding the possibilities of a transfer. Player non committal as he knows he holds all the aces, is waiting to see what his options are and doesn't want WBA getting a penny for him if possible.

This is from an EFL coach who is mates with him and a long standing friend of mine (our lads play in the same football and cricket teams).

I did text my mate at WBA to ask about what he knew and the reply was "fu_ck off Dave, I'm not saying anything about him". I'm meeting up with him next week so I'll ask again then.

Representatives from Saints have been in contact with Berihino's people regarding the possibilities of a transfer. Player non committal as he knows he holds all the aces, is waiting to see what his options are and doesn't want WBA getting a penny for him if possible.

This is from an EFL coach who is mates with him and a long standing friend of mine (our lads play in the same football and cricket teams).

I did text my mate at WBA to ask about what he knew and the reply was "fu_ck off Dave, I'm not saying anything about him". I'm meeting up with him next week so I'll ask again then.

Sounds like a kn*b TBH, although that's hardly news.

interesting your called Dave

Are you Dave Watson ?

Someone needs to tell him WBA will get money for him regardless when he leaves because they would be due a development fee ;)

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Ahh!!

I know nothing other than

A) we need another CB whether fonte goes or not

B) we also need some natural attacking flair within the midfield 3. Having 3 that keep the ball by passing sideways/backwards is killing us.. don't create enough

C) a natural striker. Charlie is a natural goal scorer but does not have either the pace or ability to be a target man. You need one of those traits to succeed in the premier league.

Anyway.. there's my shopping list for success. Over to you les [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ahh!!

B) we also need some natural attacking flair within the midfield 3. Having 3 that keep the ball by passing sideways/backwards is killing us.. don't create enough

C) a natural striker. Charlie is a natural goal scorer but does not have either the pace or ability to be a target man. You need one of those traits to succeed in the premier league.

nail head hit

Ahh!!

I can't see us buying an attacking central midfield player because we don't play with one. Puel even admitted he doesn't like the central midfielders breaking into the box regularly as it might allow the opposition to launch a counter attack. Which is a massive shame but hey ho.

I can't see us buying an attacking central midfield player because we don't play with one. Puel even admitted he doesn't like the central midfielders breaking into the box regularly as it might allow the opposition to launch a counter attack. Which is a massive shame but hey ho.

Really when did he say that? I seem to remember him saying after Clasies goal, against Arsenal, that the midfield needed to contribute more to the attack. It didn't sound like he wants the CMs to sit back.

He took responsibility to go forward to try to shoot and to give possibilities offensively for the team.

“I think he can do better with his qualities, not just to defend, because he has good technique, he sees the play, he feels the play and when he brings something offensively it’s good for the team.”

Puel has challenged the diminutive Dutchman, along with the rest of the midfield, to contribute more goals as Saints look to kick on from Sunday’s win.

“It’s not normal that Jordy scores just one goal for Southampton. For me the midfield have to participate,” Puel added.

“They need to contribute to the offensive action, to shoot, to score, to give assists. For me it’s the job of all of the team.

“It was a good thing when Jordy scored against Arsenal. He got in the box and scored and this is interesting.”

Really when did he say that? I seem to remember him saying after Clasies goal, against Arsenal, that the midfield needed to contribute more to the attack. It didn't sound like he wants the CMs to sit back.

He took responsibility to go forward to try to shoot and to give possibilities offensively for the team.

“I think he can do better with his qualities, not just to defend, because he has good technique, he sees the play, he feels the play and when he brings something offensively it’s good for the team.”

Puel has challenged the diminutive Dutchman, along with the rest of the midfield, to contribute more goals as Saints look to kick on from Sunday’s win.

“It’s not normal that Jordy scores just one goal for Southampton. For me the midfield have to participate,” Puel added.

“They need to contribute to the offensive action, to shoot, to score, to give assists. For me it’s the job of all of the team.

“It was a good thing when Jordy scored against Arsenal. He got in the box and scored and this is interesting.”

The Les interview in Echo also backs this up saying the midfield need to contribute more goals, both through assists and shots (actually going in).

Obvious stuff of course in our current situation and clearly needs fixing ASAP but a million miles away from the current forum hysteria that we are actively telling the midfield not to contribute offensively.

The Les interview in Echo also backs this up saying the midfield need to contribute more goals, both through assists and shots (actually going in).

Obvious stuff of course in our current situation and clearly needs fixing ASAP but a million miles away from the current forum hysteria that we are actively telling the midfield not to contribute offensively.

Well a lot of that came from just 10 attempts v WBA plus Merrington and Solent interview that basically questioned just one in the box and Claude responded he was ok with that as meant we didn't get caught on the break.

It's a joint thing isn't it manager and players have to put it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well a lot of that came from just 10 attempts v WBA plus Merrington and Solent interview that basically questioned just one in the box and Claude responded he was ok with that as meant we didn't get caught on the break.

It's a joint thing isn't it manager and players have to put it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBF WBA only needed two attempts on goal to score two goals. 10 attempts really should be enough to get a goal or two.

The whole midfield not contributing offensively is not a new thing. I've been saying for the last few seasons our CM need to get in the box more and score more goals and its been a constant criticism of our play, by posters, on here for several seasons. it's quiet an achievement that an aging Davis is still our most offensive CM it's something we've needed to address for a while but really haven't (Hoj was an attempt to do that IMO but hasn't worked out so far). Les didn't help with his hyperbole about us having one of the best midfields in the PL early in the season which was clearly not true.

Brentford's Scott Hogan are wanted by West Ham who are about to offer £12m (according the the Evening Standard) which is short of the £15m that Brentford want. Former Rochdale striker who has scored 14 goals and has scored 14 goals in 25 matches for Brentford and is highly rated. Get in there Les, he's young, hungry and wants Premier football. And scores goals.

(Incidentally, unrelated but WHU are also interested in Shane Long if they don't sign Defoe or Hogan.)